Visa based on UK state pension.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa at the Thai embassy in London if you are 65 or over and drawing a state pension.

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration if you have an income of 65k baht or 800k baht in a Thai bank or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

• Like 1

2 weeks ago I got a new Non Immigrant O Multi Entry Visa based on being a UK Pensioner from the Royal Thai Embassy in London. I did it by post and it was all very painless. My passport with visa was returned almost by return of post. The requirements are stated quite clearly on the website, if you are still not sure send me a PM.

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. So just to clarify - the only requirements are to be over 65 and drawing a UK state pension?.

Is there some limit to the number of times they will issue this visa? I intend to return to the UK annually for a holiday. Can I apply for new visa on each visit to the UK rather than do the extension to stay in Thailand with 800k baht in the bank etc.

The info is reasonably clear on the Thai Embassy London website, no idea if there is a limit to the number of visas they would issue, given the monetary requirements, then would there be any advantage to keep on applying for the visa in London over getting an extension of stay based on retirement as the cost of both are not that far off being the same if you get a multiple re-entry permit on an extension.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility

• Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
  • Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
  • Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
  • Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
  • Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 B.E. 2535

Required Documents

• Validity of passport at least 1 year
  • Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photos 
  • Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form 
  • Copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £14,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Criminal Record check from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

Note: Copies of bank statement, criminal record, medical record and marriage certificate must be certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, torrow said:

Thanks for the replies. So just to clarify - the only requirements are to be over 65 and drawing a UK state pension?.

Is there some limit to the number of times they will issue this visa? I intend to return to the UK annually for a holiday. Can I apply for new visa on each visit to the UK rather than do the extension to stay in Thailand with 800k baht in the bank etc.

This is the only requirement mentioned here under non immigrant type O. http://new.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section5

Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.

There is no problem getting a new one year after year. Some people have getting them for several years already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He is asking about a multiple entry non-o visa not a OA visa.

OK, sorry, then my mistake, although I hope the OP is aware that this would mean leaving the country every 90 days.

49 minutes ago, Mattd said:

OK, sorry, then my mistake, although I hope the OP is aware that this would mean leaving the country every 90 days.

Not a major problem dependant on his location here. Even then not a major draw back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Not a major problem dependant on his location here. Even then not a major draw back.

As long as your fit, active, and don't get sick or have an accident at the wrong time.

You can apply online for this O visa, to your nearest consulate in the uk, sending copies of passport app form and a letter from DWP to say your eligible and recieve your uk state pension, no bank statements, but if you've lost your letter from DWP 3 months statement its not about the money just to show your bank is receiving your state pension from DWP, you'll be contacted from the consulate, if approved by the embassy in London you'll have to go in person with your passport etc etc, Thats it matie, towards the end of the 60/90 day period granted, go to your local immigration office near you and apply for a ext of stay, now to get another ext after that I cant say, take it from me mate its as simple as that! Chok Dee! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pickettywitch said:

You can apply online for this O visa, to your nearest consulate in the uk, sending copies of passport app form and a letter from DWP to say your eligible and recieve your uk state pension, no bank statements, but if you've lost your letter from DWP 3 months statement its not about the money just to show your bank is receiving your state pension from DWP, you'll be contacted from the consulate, if approved by the embassy in London you'll have to go in person with your passport etc etc, Thats it matie, towards the end of the 60/90 day period granted, go to your local immigration office near you and apply for a ext of stay, now to get another ext after that I cant say, take it from me mate its as simple as that! Chok Dee! 

Mostly false and inaccurate information which should be ignored/rejected. 

• Like 1

your the man in the know then being either the man from Oz, or from over the border, then please rectify my false comments, after speaking with my consulate less than a week ago? : ) 

Edited by pickettywitch

1 minute ago, pickettywitch said:

your the man in the know then being either the man from Oz, or from over the border, then please rectify my false comments, after speaking with my consulate less than a week ago? there's always someone who knows better : (   

"You can apply online for this O visa, to your nearest consulate in the uk," 

I challenge you to produce evidence for this statement being accurate.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

As long as your fit, active, and don't get sick or have an accident at the wrong time.

Life happens shit happens but if you try to put things like that into any equation. Then stepping out of your door would be harmfull. Sick or accident there are things already in place with immigration. 

9 minutes ago, pickettywitch said:

your the man in the know then being either the man from Oz, or from over the border, then please rectify my false comments, after speaking with my consulate less than a week ago? there's always someone who knows better : (   

"You can apply online for this O visa, to your nearest consulate in the uk," 

I challenge you to produce evidence for this statement being accurate.

2 minutes ago, pickettywitch said:

Just look on the thai consulate website! then ring them and speak, but if your not British then the oz requirements may be diffo o happy one : )

I am not going to wast anymore time with you except to say there is no facility in the UK to apply for Thai visas (of any type) online.

Secondly the multi-entry "O" visa based on being 65+ in receipt  of a State Pension can only be obtained from the Thai Embassy in London, the Honorary  Consulates do not issue any type of multi-entry visa. 

12 hours ago, pickettywitch said:

For 14 years I used the Hull Consulate to obtain my Non Immigrant O Multi Entry Visa. This year all Honorary Consulates have been restricted in the Visa's they can issue. They can no longer issue the Non Immigrant O Multi Entry Visa but they can issue the single entry 90 day visa. The Royal Thai Embassy is the only place in the UK that will issue the Multi Entry Visa. The requirements for this visa have not changed and the postal service they offer is very efficient.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pickettywitch said:

13 hours ago, perthperson said:

Mostly false and inaccurate information which should be ignored/rejected. 

@pickettywitch is absolutely correct.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-pensioner.php  

So that we can obtain authorisation from the London Embassy to issue this visa it is necessary for the applicant to submit to us all documents relative to this visa therefore we request you to email scanned copies of the following to [email protected]

1. Copy of the page of your passport with photo and details (passport must have minimum 6 months remaining validity at time of applying for the visa).
  2. Completed Visa Application Form with two recent passport size photographs attached.
  3. Copy/copies of:
    Either: The letter which you should receive from The Pension Service at the start of each year stating what your pension payments will be for that year **.

Or: Your latest 3 months bank statements showing receipt of regular payments from "DWP SP". Bank statements must show applicant’s name and current address.

This is for the single entry Non Imm O.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

For 14 years I used the Hull Consulate to obtain my Non Immigrant O Multi Entry Visa. This year all Honorary Consulates have been restricted in the Visa's they can issue. They can no longer issue the Non Immigrant O Multi Entry Visa but they can issue the single entry 90 day visa. The Royal Thai Embassy is the only place in the UK that will issue the Multi Entry Visa. The requirements for this visa have not changed and the postal service they offer is very efficient.

Only after getting approval from the Thai Embassy London.

The issuing of all Non-Immigrant Visas must be authorised by the Royal Thai Embassy, London prior to being issued and this process can take up to one week. When we receive authority to issue we will invite you to visit us and the visa will be issued usually within one hour.

Hull in particular were stopped issuing any type of Visas direct, other than Tourist Visas, without the approval of London at least 4 years ago. Liverpool were still issuing the Non Imm O single entry direct until 2 years ago.

Edited by Tanoshi

10 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Life happens shit happens but if you try to put things like that into any equation. Then stepping out of your door would be harmfull. Sick or accident there are things already in place with immigration. 

In theory yes, in practice it's a different ball game.

On an extension anyone can make my 90 day reports.

On a ME Non Imm O where I have to cross the border, it's a big problem.

Edited by Tanoshi

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

@pickettywitch is absolutely correct.

So that we can obtain authorisation from the London Embassy to issue this visa it is necessary for the applicant to submit to us all documents relative to this visa therefore we request you to email scanned copies of the following to [email protected]

1. Copy of the page of your passport with photo and details (passport must have minimum 6 months remaining validity at time of applying for the visa).
  2. Completed Visa Application Form with two recent passport size photographs attached.
  3. Copy/copies of:
    Either: The letter which you should receive from The Pension Service at the start of each year stating what your pension payments will be for that year **.

Or: Your latest 3 months bank statements showing receipt of regular payments from "DWP SP". Bank statements must show applicant’s name and current address.

Seems it is not an online application  but rather a "work around" by the Hull consulate !  Also a personal visit to the Consulate with a full set of documentation is required before a visa can be issued.  Rather than mess with Hull it would be better to deal with the Embassy who offer a postal service ! 

I repeat Thailand does not offer on line visas anywhere in the world.

"IMPORTANT 
The information below is provided on the basis that the applicant will be applying for their visa in person at the Royal Thai Consulate Hull. Persons intending to apply elsewhere for their visa need to check with the relevant authority. 
The issuing of all Non-Immigrant Visas must be authorised by the Royal Thai Embassy, London prior to being issued and this process can take up to one week. When we receive authority to issue we will invite you to visit us and the visa will be issued usually within one hour."

Also --- Had you read Hulls webpage you would have noted they cannot issue multiple-entry visas. All the person can get is a single entry 90 day visa.

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Seems it is not an online application  but rather a "work around" by the Hull consulate !  Also a personal visit to the Consulate with a full set of documentation is required before a visa can be issued.  Rather than mess with Hull it would be better to deal with the Embassy who offer a postal service ! 

I repeat Thailand does not offer on line visas anywhere in the world.

"IMPORTANT 
The information below is provided on the basis that the applicant will be applying for their visa in person at the Royal Thai Consulate Hull. Persons intending to apply elsewhere for their visa need to check with the relevant authority. 
The issuing of all Non-Immigrant Visas must be authorised by the Royal Thai Embassy, London prior to being issued and this process can take up to one week. When we receive authority to issue we will invite you to visit us and the visa will be issued usually within one hour."

Also --- Had you read Hulls webpage you would have noted they cannot issue multiple-entry visas. All the person can get is a single entry 90 day visa.

I made it clear in my post that procedure was for a single entry Non Imm O.

ME Non Imm O must be applied for at the Embassy in London.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I made it clear in my post that procedure was for a single entry Non Imm O.

ME Non Imm O must be applied for at the Embassy in London.

Are you also claiming that an on-line visa application can be made to the Thai Embassy in London?  

If not why not ? 

from cardiff consulate web site

VISAS

return to home page

The following information may assist you in choosing which type of visa is most appropriate for your stay in Thailand. If you are still unsure please contact a member of staff for clarification.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
OUR OFFICE HOURS ARE 9:30 am TO 12:30 MONDAY TO FRIDAY. 
PERSONAL APPLICATIONS MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT AND ARRIVE AT 
THE STATED TIME FOR SAME DAY PROCESSING.

****PLEASE NOTE DUE TO NEW REGULATIONS NO CONSULATE IN THE UK CAN ISSUE A MULTIPLE NON-IMMIGRANT VISA. CONSULATES CAN NOW ONLY ISSUE A SINGLE ****

6 minutes ago, Tim16 said:

from cardiff consulate web site

VISAS

return to home page

The following information may assist you in choosing which type of visa is most appropriate for your stay in Thailand. If you are still unsure please contact a member of staff for clarification.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
OUR OFFICE HOURS ARE 9:30 am TO 12:30 MONDAY TO FRIDAY. 
PERSONAL APPLICATIONS MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT AND ARRIVE AT 
THE STATED TIME FOR SAME DAY PROCESSING.

****PLEASE NOTE DUE TO NEW REGULATIONS NO CONSULATE IN THE UK CAN ISSUE A MULTIPLE NON-IMMIGRANT VISA. CONSULATES CAN NOW ONLY ISSUE A SINGLE ****

WOT?  --- Seems Cardiff have not yet caught up with the "on line" visa business  being touted by member 'Tanoshi'  :smile:

3 minutes ago, perthperson said:

WOT?  --- Seems Cardiff have not yet caught up with the "on line" visa business  being touted by member 'Tanoshi'  :smile:

For some years Cardiff have done the same as Hull and accepted emailed documents on which they get pre-approval from the embassy.  After which you go in for your visa.  On-line it most certainly is not.

2 hours ago, perthperson said:

Are you also claiming that an on-line visa application can be made to the Thai Embassy in London?  

If not why not ? 

Where did I state you can make an online application for a Visa.

You need to understand what's written and not put words in other peoples mouths.

I quoted from the Hull Consulate website which clearly states you can get online 'approval' for the single entry Non Imm O Visa before visiting in person to actually collect the Visa.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

This is for the single entry Non Imm O.

If you have a problem with that statement, take it up with Hull.

Visa 'approval' and Visa 'application' are two entirely different procedures.

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

For some years Cardiff have done the same as Hull and accepted emailed documents on which they get pre-approval from the embassy.  After which you go in for your visa.  On-line it most certainly is not.

You may be correct but that does not equate to obtaining an "on line Visa"  

Now detail the fact that a visit to the consulate is a must as is the presentation of all original paperwork before a visa sticker is placed in the passport. 

I can obtain an on line 12 month multi entry visa for Australia on-line. I get one every year. I never have to leave my house and there is no visa sticker in my passport.  When a similar service is provided by Thailand I will believe but at the present time this "on-line" Thai Visa is a myth.