Happy Pride Month! Bangkok named second best LGBT city in Asia

webfact

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I remember when being gay meant you were happy........Not knocking the community, each to their own, just an observation on how language changes....:biggrin:

When, gay has been used to describe homosexuals for decades, so you are either talking rubbish or you've recently celebrated your 100th birthday 

52 minutes ago, Ridler said:

When, gay has been used to describe homosexuals for decades, so you are either talking rubbish or you've recently celebrated your 100th birthday 

Yeah, I'm not young and when I was a boy gay with the old meaning was ALREADY totally dated and not generally used (except in old movies) and the sexual meaning wasn't in widespread use (outside the gay subculture) yet either.

So the "loss" had already largely happened at least in the U.S.

That said, there are many words with multiple meanings, and primary and secondary meanings. Determined by CONTEXT. But in the case of gay, the original meaning really is pretty much all gone because most people wanting to use the archaic meaning would know that it would be taken for the modern meaning at least in a jokey way in pretty much any context.

Edited by Jingthing

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Such an original observation; we've only heard it like a billion times ...

1,000,000,000,001 then.........

Sorry Jingthing, no offence meant, just my sense of humour....:smile:

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

hard to say nowadays what or who is gay, bi, straight, or both, with all those macho muscle toned chaps secretly getting serviced by ladyboys when their pin up girlies are away by the beach!!:cheesy:

I thought your dictionary had cleared your misunderstanding up for you!!