Accident insurance

Kenny202

Full medical insurance here seems to be prohibitive but I see Bangkok bank advertising accident insurance....100k baht per accident for 6000 baht per annum or 150k baht per accident for 8000 baht one year. Covers motorcycle accidents too.

Other benefits too re permanent disability payout plus monthly payment.

Is this a good deal? Anyone else have a similar thing?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

100 - 150K per acciden5t is a ridiculously low level of cover.  Look for one that provides at least 2 million baht cover as that is what care after a major accident involving head trauma, multiple fractures etc can cost in a government hospital.

I know several people who have this policy and while it has a low upper payout, there is no deductible.  Here in Chiang Mai it is accepted by the major private hospitals for direct bill.  Hubby and I use this policy in combination with our medical insurance, that has a per event deductible of $2000 U.S. -- about 68,000 baht -- to keep the medical insurance affordable.  So we don't need a big accident insurance plan.

The Kad Suan Kaew branch in Chiang Mai has a special policy for people over age 65, that covers up to age 100, but doesn't have cover for driving or being a passenger on a motorbike.

I've used it several times when I've had a twisted foot and didn't know if I broke anything so wanted the piece of mind of an xray and another time when I cut myself in the kitchen and needed a few stitches.  It was easy peasy at CM Ram -- just present the card and the billing was quicker than if I was paying cash.

100 - 150K per acciden5t is a ridiculously low level of cover.  Look for one that provides at least 2 million baht cover as that is what care after a major accident involving head trauma, multiple fractures etc can cost in a government hospital.

I'm guessing 2 million accident insurance costly Sheryl. I have money to cover the worst case scenario albeit would hurt. This policy looked like a good stop gap. You have any reccomendations

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you can afford 2 mill better to put that aside as self insurance and save the premium.

But first price a decent policy.

I think you'll find there isn't a direct "ratio" on pricing.  In other words a policy with an upper limit of 1.5 M baht isn't going to have an annual cost that is ten times higher than the Bangkok Bank price of 8000 baht for 150,000 baht.  It's definitely worth doing your homework if this will be your only insurance policy.

For us, this was just a "patchwork" policy to cover our deductible and worth the cost because it's so widely accepted at the local hospitals.

This is a BangkokInsurance policy, I'm toying with taking this personal accident insurance out circ 7k,only covers 200k but as you say its a middle ground between having nothing and paying circ 100k a year for medical insurance.

Some people can maybe afford the 7k a year but not the 200k if in an accident.

http://www.bangkokinsurance.com/online/pa45+.asp?insure=%20leftfile&lang=thai

0d0b87a7e26bc94a6bbae9d8f5c751f6.jpg

This is a BangkokInsurance policy, I'm toying with taking this personal accident insurance out circ 7k,only covers 200k but as you say its a middle ground between having nothing and paying circ 100k a year for medical insurance.
Some people can maybe afford the 7k a year but not the 200k if in an accident.

http://www.bangkokinsurance.com/online/pa45+.asp?insure=%20leftfile&lang=thai

0d0b87a7e26bc94a6bbae9d8f5c751f6.jpg

It is not the case that a higher level of coverage will cost that much more. It will cost mote but the difference is not as much ad one might expect.

Also be sure to check the schedule of benefits closely as policies that state maximum vovetage of X, when you get fown to it that is mot the maximum for health care, it's much lower than that.

• 1 month later...

Actually I personally have US 1 million. (Cigna - per year not event).

No one should have less than 5 million per episode if they want the option of a private hiospital, 2 if willing to exclusively use govt hospitals

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually I personally have US 1 million. (Cigna - per year not event).

No one should have less than 5 million per episode if they want the option of a private hiospital, 2 if willing to exclusively use govt hospitals

Do you have a big deductible with that?

Ask yourself why the insurer is pricing the coverage this low if there is a significant risk of accident. Think of it this way: You are gambling you will have a COVERED accident and the insurer is gambling that you will not.  Accident insurance is a money maker for insurers because the likelihood of a payout is relatively low. It is significantly different than proper health insurance that will respond whether there is an accident or not.

There are other ways to obtain the coverage either through  the company or personal group insurance if operating a business or by adding it via a credit card or an existing life insurance product.  If one has life insurance, then that life insurer will be delighted to provide the coverage.

Just remember that this coverage  does not replace comprehensive health care coverage.  

Health insurance coverage I cannot get proper cover so I opted for pacific cross they have a decent amount of accident policies which may be worth a look, I have never had a claim with them in 2 years, I will start to look again later this month as my policy will be up and want to make sure I am the best I can afford so if there are any companies worth looking at let me know

Do you have a big deductible with that?

Had complete choice on that. Opted for 750 deductible and then 50% copay up to maximum $5000 out of picket per year. But one can opt for no deductible no copay, or diffetent deductible/copay as prefferred.

Health insurance coverage I cannot get proper cover so I opted for pacific cross they have a decent amount of accident policies which may be worth a look, I have never had a claim with them in 2 years, I will start to look again later this month as my policy will be up and want to make sure I am the best I can afford so if there are any companies worth looking at let me know

Would help to know your age and why you have had trouble getting cover.