Yellow house registration book report

Okay, am getting the info a little bit at a time now, the words " blood " and " stone " seem to ring a bell.

I have to go to British Embassy for a certified copy of my passport, get this and my birth certificate translated and stamped at MFA.

Then back to Amphur to see what they can conjure up to annoy me [emoji51]

I had to go to Pattaya City Hall for mine. Took two months in all plus THB 1000 to speed up the process. My first witness (from Juristic Office) was refused as they hadn't known me long enough! In the end the guy from the estate agent, who sold me the condo was accepted. Not sure I would bother again as it has never been accepted for anything.

I easily got the Yellow Book when I moved here with my Thai wife and kids 4 years ago.  My wife owns the property we are living in here.

We are returning to my home country  later this year for an indefinite period; could be 10 years.   When we do come back to LOS again I am wondering if my Yellow Book will still be "valid" and  just need updating with any new address?

Edited by avander

After buying our house and farmland, my wife and I went to Amphur's office in Surin, to update the bluebook and at the same time get a yellow book. The only thing requested from me was my passport. In less than 1hour, we were handed both books and I paid a 20 baht fee for the yellow book registration. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, am getting the info a little bit at a time now, the words " blood " and " stone " seem to ring a bell.

I have to go to British Embassy for a certified copy of my passport, get this and my birth certificate translated and stamped at MFA.

Then back to Amphur to see what they can conjure up to annoy me emoji51.png

You probably went to the local municipal Thesaban in your sub district (Tambon).

7 minutes ago, rapom said:

After buying our house and farmland, my wife and I went to Amphur's office in Surin, to update the bluebook and at the same time get a yellow book. The only thing requested from me was my passport. In less than 1hour, we were handed both books and I paid a 20 baht fee for the yellow book registration. 

You probably went to the main Provincial Thesaban in Surin.

Getting a yellow tabian bahn, some Amphurs easy, Banphai i went in with the wife.

15 minutes came out with the yellow book.

A friend near Roi et took him 6 months.

Another friend near Manja kiri, had to go top his embassy 3 days in Bangkok.

There is an Amphur in Buriram district and they will not issue yellow books to anyone, ( boss hates farangs)

Yes it is hit and miss, some Amphurs make up their own rules, others just follow the law and do it.

• Like 2

You probably went to the main Provincial Thesaban in Surin.

You mean I could go to another office to make it easier for myself ?

I thought I went to Amphur Bang Pa In ( Ayutthaya ) but who knows !

EDIT: on replying my part of your post did not show.

2 hours ago, rapom said:

Isn't that what I stated when I wrote: "to Amphur's office in Surin".

Not exactly.

An Amphur or Amphoe is a district.

There are 17 districts in Surin, each has it's own municipal office (Thesaban).

They are level 2 administration and may or may not be familiar with the correct process issuing Tabien Baan's for foreigners.

The district Mueang in Surin is the main Provincial office (Thesaban) and I guessed that was where you went because of the ease in which you obtained your TB.

. Do you like to pay about $50 to the US Consul, wait weeks for a free COR from Chiang Mai Immigration or pay an agent 500 baht to get a COR every time you get a driver license renewal,

Geez, if I had to go thru the hassles described in this thread.... -- well, then, paying 500 baht every 5 years for a driver's license, and another 500 baht every, oh, 10 years for a new car -- for any easy peasy one-day turnaround COR (in CM) -- sounds like a no-brainer to me.

(Oh, forget the every 10 years for a COR for a new car -- that's in the wife's name. Thus, even more of a no-brainer to forget the yellow book hassle.)

Edited by JimGant

Since there are not many farangs in my area I think the boss lady at the amphur I have to use simply didn't know how to make one. She made up all sorts of reasons why she couldn't do it. The next amphur up the road is where some of my friends were able to go. They got their yellow books with no hassle and had them the same day. That amphur told my wife that I had to use the amphur where I live.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You mean I could go to another office to make it easier for myself ?

I thought I went to Amphur Bang Pa In ( Ayutthaya ) but who knows !

Yes, exactly Andrew.

There are 16 districts in Ayutthaya.

Bang Pa is level 2 municipal administration office and from the sounds of it don't know what the correct procedure is.

It's an unfortunate state of affairs in Thailand where staff can be moved to inactive positions for making errors. Especially where foreigners are concerned they make OTT requirements to cover their backsides.

Your Provincial office is located in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya.

Whatever they say the requirements are is set in stone, but I bet it doesn't involve getting legalised translation done at the MFA in Bangkok.

A few local expats here have run into the same problems at their District (Amphoe) offices.

I told them to go to the main Provincial office (Mueang in our Province), what was required and they obtained their Tabien Baans same day without any problems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

NEVER give up, your a farang, you have to save face now that your living here....lol

I went through hell of a lot as well, i.e. even thought the local amphur accepted my apostilised copy of my passport and apostilised marriage certificate, both translated via MFA in Thai noting me as the father of our children when they were put in the blue book, but when I applied for the yellow book they also wanted an apostilise of my birth certificate for the yellow book, the original wasn't good enough with the other documents that I mentioned, fortunately for me I was heading back to Sydney where I got it in half a day, then had to get it translated and stamped at the Thai consular in Sydney, this took about 2 days overall with a lot of running around and waiting, but the consulate stamped the wrong document as BKK wanted the translation stamped, not the birth certificate that had the apostile on it, luckily in Bangkok at out stop over for the embassy/consulate, they noted the error and stamped it for 200 baht and we were on our way after dropping off all the docs and fee with them, once they returned everything it was a good hour at the local with Mayor and witness, then I got the yellow book, and also applied for the pink ID card to add to my Thai licence, a bit like getting degrees, should photo copy the lot and use to wipe my rear, but the paper is too rough for my delicate behind.

If I wasn't going to Sydney I would have to wait 3 days for the Australian embassy to do the apositle, now that would mean travel for just over an hour by car to the airport, park the car, fly an hour to BKK, catch a taxi, stay at a hotel for 3 days, then do the translation and then go to the embassy,catch a taxi back to the airport, fly back, pay for the parking and then drive for just over an hour farrrrk that, could you imagine the cost, besides I the savings can go towards my drinking.

Like I said, NEVER give up, especially to these papershufflingdickheads who would know common sense if it hit them between the eyes 555 

I simply could not stomach another trip to Bangkok and in all probability yet more faffing about by the MFA in connection with the certified translation.

However all this took place shortly after I had moved out here 8 years ago, and I cannot honestly say that I have ever experienced any sense of deprivation in the meantime through not having a yellow book. Having one might have proved useful had I wanted to obtain a driving licence here, but, there again, I have never had a burning desire to get behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle on the highways and byeways of LOS.

I take your point about "Illegitimi non carborundum", but there comes a time, I think, when the only way of easing the stress is by hoisting the white flag of surrender - except, of course, when it comes to the dozy-daft passport renewal procedures which those semi-clowns in HMPO back home in Blighty decided to inflict on us long-suffering Brits living in LOS 3 years ago! :crazy:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Since there are not many farangs in my area I think the boss lady at the amphur I have to use simply didn't know how to make one. She made up all sorts of reasons why she couldn't do it. The next amphur up the road is where some of my friends were able to go. They got their yellow books with no hassle and had them the same day. That amphur told my wife that I had to use the amphur where I live.

True to a point. Thais shouldn't have a problem because their procedures are well documented.

With foreigners that is not always the case.

The Provincial office is responsible for all the outlying municipal offices.

If your having problems go direct to your Provincial office, where they are better trained and usually have more dealing with procedures regarding foreigners. Thais do exactly the same if they have a problem at their municipal office.

"When we do come back to LOS again I am wondering if my Yellow Book will still be "valid" and  just need updating with any new address?"

A Yellow book is address specific, so you don't update them when you change addresses - you get a new book for the new address.

• Like 2

Yes, exactly Andrew.
There are 16 districts in Ayutthaya.
Bang Pa is level 2 municipal administration office and from the sounds of it don't know what the correct procedure is.
It's an unfortunate state of affairs in Thailand where staff can be moved to inactive positions for making errors. Especially where foreigners are concerned they make OTT requirements to cover their backsides.

Your Provincial office is located in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya.
Whatever they say the requirements are is set in stone, but I bet it doesn't involve getting legalised translation done at the MFA in Bangkok.

A few local expats here have run into the same problems at their District (Amphoe) offices.
I told them to go to the main Provincial office (Mueang in our Province), what was required and they obtained their Tabien Baans same day without any problems.

Thanks Tanoshi, I'll look into trying the provincial office.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

I simply could not stomach another trip to Bangkok and in all probability yet more faffing about by the MFA in connection with the certified translation.

However all this took place shortly after I had moved out here 8 years ago, and I cannot honestly say that I have ever experienced any sense of deprivation in the meantime through not having a yellow book. Having one might have proved useful had I wanted to obtain a driving licence here, but, there again, I have never had a burning desire to get behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle on the highways and byeways of LOS.

I take your point about "Illegitimi non carborundum", but there comes a time, I think, when the only way of easing the stress is by hoisting the white flag of surrender - except, of course, when it comes to the dozy-daft passport renewal procedures which those semi-clowns in HMPO back home in Blighty decided to inflict on us long-suffering Brits living in LOS 3 years ago! :crazy:

Your a wise man, I will one day duck when someone throws the ball to me, because sometimes catching it will involve you in the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I applied for my Tabien Baan at the main Provincial Thesaban. (Level 1 administration located in the Mueang District)

They required the following documents;

Original Documents.

1. Passport.

2. Approved Translation of Passport Home Page into Thai, with attached photo.

3. 2nd Passport Photo for application form.

4. Mother and Fathers names required for the application form (no proof required)

Copies.

1. Passport Home Page.

2. Passport page of current Visa or Extension.

3. TM6 (Departure card)

4. House owners Tabien Baan (signed with tele number)

5. House owners ID card (signed with telephone number)

I didn't require witnesses, the Poo Ya Baan or anyone else other than my wife to sign the form.

40 minutes later Tabien Baan and ID card in hand.

Now that's what I call smooth sailing.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Then back to Amphur to see what they can conjure up to annoy me emoji51.png

Blood and stone has a ring to it.

Always check with the Amphur first as mine wouldn't accept a certified copy of my birth certificate, when I rang the Australian embassy in BKK, they said that they never heard of an Amphur wanting my embassy to apostilise an Aussie's birth certificate for a yellow book, it was mainly a certified copy, but it varies from Amphur to Amphur, and they have their own requirements, so I had to get the birth certificate apostilised, wasn't familiar with the word previously, i.e. a seal from the embassy would have been enough for me to understand, not having dealt with this paper shuffling circus much before, it just guarantees them that the document is authentic, mind you I thought my marriage certificate and passport which were previously apositlised would be enough, because to get married and your passport, you need your birth certificate, but no, you also had to have your birth certificate apostilised so as to meet their criteria as bizarre as it is.

Good luck, and don't give up, we need more yellow book power, maybe they will get sick of all the procedures and just hand them over in the future like passes to get you into disco's on Bangla Road Phuket 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rapom said:

Your blessed

Apologies to all for my poor translation of เจ้าบ้าน  You're all right: it should be house-master or head-of-household or something like that.  The Yellow Book is not proof of ownership.

I guess I got off easy, listening to your stories!  Sometimes you just get lucky!

4 hours ago, heretostay said:

I guess I got off easy, listening to your stories!  Sometimes you just get lucky!

Congratulations on getting your yellow house registration book without much hassle. Seeing that the procedure varies from one district office to another, would you mind telling our readers at what district in Bangkok this was?

• 5 weeks later...