Yellow house registration book report

The local district office where I live in BKK issued my yellow house registration book with my name in it noted as "owner" without difficulties today.

It took two visits, but I knew that would be the case beforehand because my Thai witness was available only on a day when the supervisor of the house registration department was not present.

I own the unit where I registered and am on a retirement extension.

There was a thorough interview, lots of documents to sign, but everything went OK.  No fees were paid.

Nice to have a legal document confirm my existence here!  Interesting to note that, legally, the two books are a single document and have the same serial/identification number.  Just that one is for Thai people and the other for "temporary visitors."

Just thought this might be of interest.
cleardot.gif

The ease (or otherwise) of obtaining the yellow tabien bahn depends largely on the attitude and mood of your local amphur (or khet in Bangkok). My local amphur forced me to go through the hoops of going to Bangkok to obtain an Embassy proof of address when then needed to be translated into Thai and the translated version endorsed by the MFA (which took several goes before they were finally prepared to do this). After going through all this palaver my application fell at the final fence when some eagle-eyed official at my amphur spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname in the MFA-endorsed translation did not exactly match my wife's as stated in her blue tabien bahn! At that point I gave up.

Edited by OJAS

It seems, from other threads on this subject, that different amphurs treat the issue of giving out a yellow tabien bahn with varying degrees of difficulty, from a 10 minute visit to local amphur all the way up to 12-14 visits to resolve with translations of passport and birth certificate which also needed verification and taking 2 locals as witnesses, one of which is the head honcho in your village/moobaan etc !!
Yesterday I visited mine in Bang Pa In ( Ayutthaya ) and they literally didn't have a clue !!
They called me 3 times today and said I need my passport translating but would call back , and never did.
Probably visit tomorrow to get the full story of what is required !!

46 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

in my former address, that amphoe ,clearly, just didnt want to bother with getting me a yellow book

When me and Mrs Possum went to the Amphur get a yellow book for me, she was told to come back after lunch time and he may or may not let you have a yellow book.

I gave her 1000Bt to give him and she was given my yellow book right away. I think that was his idea in the first place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When me and Mrs Possum went to the Amphur get a yellow book for me, she was told to come back after lunch time and he may or may not let you have a yellow book.

I gave her 1000Bt to give him and she was given my yellow book right away. I think that was his idea in the first place.

dont doubt you in the slightest; pitiable process tho

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

The ease (or otherwise) of obtaining the yellow tabien bahn depends largely on the attitude and mood of your local amphur (or khet in Bangkok). My local amphur forced me to go through the hoops of going to Bangkok to obtain an Embassy proof of address when then needed to be translated into Thai and the translated version endorsed by the MFA (which took several goes before they were finally prepared to do this). After going through all this palaver my application fell at the final fence when some eagle-eyed official at my amphur spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname in the MFA-endorsed translation did not exactly match my wife's as stated in her blue tabien bahn! At that point I gave up.

NEVER give up, your a farang, you have to save face now that your living here....lol

I went through hell of a lot as well, i.e. even thought the local amphur accepted my apostilised copy of my passport and apostilised marriage certificate, both translated via MFA in Thai noting me as the father of our children when they were put in the blue book, but when I applied for the yellow book they also wanted an apostilise of my birth certificate for the yellow book, the original wasn't good enough with the other documents that I mentioned, fortunately for me I was heading back to Sydney where I got it in half a day, then had to get it translated and stamped at the Thai consular in Sydney, this took about 2 days overall with a lot of running around and waiting, but the consulate stamped the wrong document as BKK wanted the translation stamped, not the birth certificate that had the apostile on it, luckily in Bangkok at out stop over for the embassy/consulate, they noted the error and stamped it for 200 baht and we were on our way after dropping off all the docs and fee with them, once they returned everything it was a good hour at the local with Mayor and witness, then I got the yellow book, and also applied for the pink ID card to add to my Thai licence, a bit like getting degrees, should photo copy the lot and use to wipe my rear, but the paper is too rough for my delicate behind.

If I wasn't going to Sydney I would have to wait 3 days for the Australian embassy to do the apositle, now that would mean travel for just over an hour by car to the airport, park the car, fly an hour to BKK, catch a taxi, stay at a hotel for 3 days, then do the translation and then go to the embassy,catch a taxi back to the airport, fly back, pay for the parking and then drive for just over an hour farrrrk that, could you imagine the cost, besides I the savings can go towards my drinking.

Like I said, NEVER give up, especially to these papershufflingdickheads who would know common sense if it hit them between the eyes 555 

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The day I give them 1,000 baht without a BJ will be the day I am on my last legs

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It seems, from other threads on this subject, that different amphurs treat the issue of giving out a yellow tabien bahn with varying degrees of difficulty, from a 10 minute visit to local amphur all the way up to 12-14 visits to resolve with translations of passport and birth certificate which also needed verification and taking 2 locals as witnesses, one of which is the head honcho in your village/moobaan etc !!
Yesterday I visited mine in Bang Pa In ( Ayutthaya ) and they literally didn't have a clue !!
They called me 3 times today and said I need my passport translating but would call back , and never did.
Probably visit tomorrow to get the full story of what is required !!

Its a LONG story...........and depending if the left knows what the right is doing you might get off lightly, they asked us to go to immigration to get a letter verifying that they know my address, so we took the hour 20 drive, immigration said they don't know what their talking about as they only give letters for when you are applying for your drivers licence, I do remember getting one of those, anyway, when we rang immigration, they said, whoever told you to do that is wrong, just come in and we will tell you what you need, der, how do you think we ended up driving to and from for 3 hours, you guys sent us when we came in, that was the easy part 555

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

เจ้าบ้าน next to your name in the house registration book is generally translated as house-master or house master. Ownership is evidenced by the purchase contract and the title deed.

I agree.

The Tabien Baan is not related to ownership, it's just a registration of your address.

The first named person in the book is recorded as the householder. (translated).

Every other person is recorded as a dweller (translated).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

เจ้าบ้าน next to your name in the house registration book is generally translated as house-master or house master. Ownership is evidenced by the purchase contract and the title deed.

Precisely....that's why I never understood why that was not enough for owners?

Its a LONG story...........and depending if the left knows what the right is doing you might get off lightly, they asked us to go to immigration to get a letter verifying that they know my address, so we took the hour 20 drive, immigration said they don't know what their talking about as they only give letters for when you are applying for your drivers licence, I do remember getting one of those, anyway, when we rang immigration, they said, whoever told you to do that is wrong, just come in and we will tell you what you need, der, how do you think we ended up driving to and from for 3 hours, you guys sent us when we came in, that was the easy part 555

At the Amphur they said they needed my passport and birth certificate translated and certified by the British Embassy !, I knew this was wrong but kept quiet, rang the Embassy for verification and it's a translation of both to be certified ( stamped ) at the MFA ( Ministry of Foreign Affairs ), which I knew already from TV.

Sad when the district office can't give you the correct advice and you have to go to a public forum, but hey ho I'm retired so have nothing better to do [emoji51]
  • Like 1

Since the Yellow Book  is simply a registration of one's address and  to obtain it appears to be so bureaucratic- why even bother.  The Yellow Book and ID card have no bearing on Immigration Status or anything else.  In 4 decades of doing all kinds of business, banking and other in Thailand I have never been asked for it or come across anything that would lead me to believe it has any benefit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sad when the district office can't give you the correct advice and you have to go to a public forum, but hey ho I'm retired so have nothing better to do emoji51.png

Same here, gives you something to do, but also reminded me of my working days of running around and doing the paper shuffle.

Thailand reminds me of Sydney 40 years ago when government departments were run by government clowns, at least these days its semi-clowns as they have to perform and raise revenue, otherwise they will shut them down and outsource the work where things get done quicker and better, I think.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

At the Amphur they said they needed my passport and birth certificate translated and certified by the British Embassy !, I knew this was wrong but kept quiet, rang the Embassy for verification and it's a translation of both to be certified ( stamped ) at the MFA ( Ministry of Foreign Affairs ), which I knew already from TV.

Sad when the district office can't give you the correct advice and you have to go to a public forum, but hey ho I'm retired so have nothing better to do emoji51.png

At my Amphur they told me I had to get a certificate of residence from my embassy, as one from immigration wouldn't be accepted.

I needed to have my passport and CoR translated by an official recognized translator. After translation I would have to go to ministry of foreign affairs to have the translations verified.

I would need to bring 3 witnesses including the kamnan.

I was also told that since my blue book didn't have a name on the first page, I first had to update it with a Thai name

The next day I went to soi post office in Pattaya and had my passport translated by one of the offices there.

With the translation of the passport together with a copy of a certificate of residence I had received a few weeks earlier from immigration to purchase a car and the empty blue book , I went back to the Amphur on my own the very next day.

I went straight to the head of the Amphur, got a few questions asked about name of my parents etc, and was told to pick up my yellow book in 7 days.

Edited by janclaes47

6 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Since the Yellow Book  is simply a registration of one's address and  to obtain it appears to be so bureaucratic- why even bother.  The Yellow Book and ID card have no bearing on Immigration Status or anything else.  In 4 decades of doing all kinds of business, banking and other in Thailand I have never been asked for it or come across anything that would lead me to believe it has any benefit.

The benefit of having it, is watching them perform through the process, because the final home run is the best when you are watching the big boss lady shuffling through the mountain of paperwork and scratching her head, half asleep trying not to make a mistake of such a big complex load of the most stupid paperwork that ever existed, their making, of course.

As for the pink ID card I found it so much easier boarding an AirAsia flight the other day, no one asked for my passport which I hate carrying, but then on the return flight when I produced my pink ID card, the girl asked for my passport which I provided and asked why the pink ID card wasn't good enough for her, with her reply being, you must have a letter with it sir, to which I simply smiled and said to her in a soft tone, you really have no idea, do you, and she said excuse me sir, as if to say I didn't hear you, to which I replied in another soft tone, I would love to bend you over, again, she said sorry sir, because she didn't hear me, with my reply being in an elevated voice, I am so glad you told me that because at the other airport they accepted my pink ID, now I know that I must use my passport unless I have a letter to produce with my pink ID card, lower voice to wipe my ass with, loud voice have a nice day, she smiled as if to say how proud she was, and everyone was happy, so then I proceeded to customs where they accepted my pink ID card....lol

The left doesn;t know what the right is doing, welcome to Thailand, all smiles 555

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The day I give them 1,000 baht without a BJ will be the day I am on my last legs

I am not saying corruption is right, but there are times when you have to make corruption work for you.

Like I said, I am not condoning corruption, but suppose all corruption was stopped, would we all not be better off, especially financially? I wonder.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

because you don't have to get any 'cert's of residence' when buying a car (for example)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am not saying corruption is right, but there are times when you have to make corruption work for you.

Like I said, I am not condoning corruption, but suppose all corruption was stopped, would we all not be better off, especially financially? I wonder.

I remember when switching from a retirement extension to a marriage extension, I had to pay 1,500 baht for them to take the 3 hour return drive, petrol money I suppose.....lol

The guys in immigration I won't argue with as I need them to keep stamping my passport every 90 days and renew every year, but as for the other farkwits who serve no purpose to me, they can kiss my left one 555 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I don't have a work permit. I'm not quite old enough for an O. Do you like to pay about $50 to the US Consul, wait weeks for a free COR from Chiang Mai Immigration or pay an agent 500 baht to get a COR every time you get a driver license renewal, buy a car etc? I have the PE visa but the key person here won't budge because it is not a "non immigrant" visa.

Edited by Dipterocarp

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

You are not, and never will be,  "owner"

You can own the House, but not the land.

Ownership is registered on the Title Deeds and a different topic.

House registration books have nothing to do with ownership.

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I'm asking the OP to let us know what documents they requested of you when you applied for the book.  I'm in Bangkok and I have a desire to obtain a yellow house book, too!  What was needed?

I applied for my Tabien Baan at the main Provincial Thesaban. (Level 1 administration located in the Mueang District)

They required the following documents;

Original Documents.

1. Passport.

2. Approved Translation of Passport Home Page into Thai, with attached photo.

3. 2nd Passport Photo for application form.

4. Mother and Fathers names required for the application form (no proof required)

Copies.

1. Passport Home Page.

2. Passport page of current Visa or Extension.

3. TM6 (Departure card)

4. House owners Tabien Baan (signed with tele number)

5. House owners ID card (signed with telephone number)

I didn't require witnesses, the Poo Ya Baan or anyone else other than my wife to sign the form.

40 minutes later Tabien Baan and ID card in hand.

• Like 1