What kind of bird is this that makes the loud "hoo hoo" sound?

The coucals are related to cuckoos but act like crows. They will eat all the bird nestlings and lizards in your yard. They are cuckoos but not the parasitic kind. The Asian Koel (nok-a-wow, "wow" being the call they make, neverending), is a completely different bird, usually seen and heard in the winter. Coucals are all year round. Loels are high in the trees, coucals are always close to the ground.

Edited by appleman

1 minute ago, lucjoker said:

the best way to make them stop waking you up.......

is a lead pellet........

dont tell the <deleted>......they like preaching and telling you what is right and wrong......

as if we dont know .......

4 hours ago, appleman said:

The coucals are related to cuckoos but act like crows. They will eat all the bird nestlings and lizards in your yard. They are cuckoos but not the parasitic kind. The Asian Koel (nok-a-wow, "wow" being the call they make, neverending), is a completely different bird, usually seen and heard in the winter. Coucals are all year round. Loels are high in the trees, coucals are always close to the ground.

Not ALWAYS! Almost always...:vampire:

(taken last month in BKK)

59563c884b139_DSC03902c(Large).jpg.924af8e7cc907baa197c307577f7d28c.jpg

59563c83c3f9b_DSC03912c(Large).jpg.70ce2f426c64ddf54bda4e55bf838aef.jpg

I have one (or more?) That wake me up in the morning .. love it ..
Or sometimes I am already up .. watching the sunrise and listening to them ..
.. it must be close by .. I record the call on my phone and get it to talk to me ..

Neat bird I think

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"Loels are high in the trees, coucals are always close to the ground."

We get both around the house. Coucals tend to hop around the ground a lot as it seems an effort to get airborne. See them a lot.
Koels I have hardly ever seen but they are always about; hear them a lot night time.
People always seem to love the coucals 'whoop whoop' sound. Many people seem to find the koels sound annoying but I love listening to them.

11 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Of course there is the Hoopoe which make s a similar cry to the Coucal but its a continuous Hoo, hoo, hoo.

Although the pitch is similar, the volume, note length, number of notes and relative pitch of each note is quite different. I live in Sri Racha and the hoopoes are still found behind the apartment. The Greater Coucals have gone due to the level of development.

I will put the calls up here

Hoopoe

Greater Coucal

Edited by Briggsy

18 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Although the pitch is similar, the volume, note length, number of notes and relative pitch of each note is quite different. I live in Sri Racha and the hoopoes are still found behind the apartment. The Greater Coucals have gone due to the level of development.

I will put the calls up here

Hoopoe

Greater Coucal

Great videos and sound! 

Just now, Gandtee said:

Great videos and sound! 

We have a pair of coucals in our garden. They are very brazen and don't fly off when you approach them. They also come onto the verandah, looking for lizards I expect. 

12 hours ago, cocteau2x said:

I have one (or more?) That wake me up in the morning .. love it ..
Or sometimes I am already up .. watching the sunrise and listening to them ..
.. it must be close by .. I record the call on my phone and get it to talk to me ..

Neat bird I think

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

" Neat bird I think "  As opposed to an untidy bird. Sorry, couldn't help it.  :post-4641-1156693976:

Reminds me of times over 50 years ago now when I was in Vietnam, we used to call them "<deleted>> you," birds, because their call sounded like that well worn phrase. Of course I could be wrong, amazing what a few Budweisers did to us back then.

Years ago, one of my Canadian friends on Koh Samui asked he's Thai neighbour what Bird this was ?

The Thai neighbour answered "you can not eat " !!! Ok.. my friend said, but how you call it ? "You can not eat" was he's answer again !!!

So, my friend's conclusion was If you can not eat it !? it's not important to name it !!!!

Best regards !