Stunning and shocking

Lumbini

Stunning and shocking to see the difference when chairs and junk these venders have was removed ( I had no idea the beach at Jomtien was so beautiful wow ) but more shocking was when all the chair people brought their dirty crap and put it all back [emoji87] . The before and after said so much about this area and what it could be .

Vendors are required to remove all their property Tuesday nights and not bring them back until Friday. There will be no more storing them under the trees.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-beach-goes-chair-free-2-days-179270

Could they make one long area in Jomtien and have it NEVER HAVE VENDERS AND CHAIR RENTALS , and large fines to anyone leaving any trash on beach ?

Could they make one long area in Jomtien and have it NEVER HAVE VENDERS AND CHAIR RENTALS , and large fines to anyone leaving any trash

Then the other sections could be for those who prefer less nature and natural beauty where they can sit in old chairs out of the sun and have people trying to sell them things every few minutes

1 hour ago, Lumbini said:

Could they make one long area in Jomtien and have it NEVER HAVE VENDERS AND CHAIR RENTALS , and large fines to anyone leaving any trash

Then the other sections could be for those who prefer less nature and natural beauty where they can sit in old chairs out of the sun and have people trying to sell them things every few minutes

I know it likely didn't enter your mind but some of those chair venders have made a family living on Jomtien Beach for over 30 years. That's long before most condos, hotels or you. My I suggest you go to Bang Saray where there are no chairs, no umbrellas, no trinket sellers and NO PEOPLE! Why do people that want natural beaches come to a place like Jomtien in the first place when there are so many other options in Thailand? It gives them a reason to whine is the best I can figure out.

My plan a few years before retiring was to hit different counties around SE Asia to find a good place to settle down once my work life was done. I stumbled across a story in Lonely Planet about Jomtien Beach and made it my first stop. It was perfect for what I was looking for. I have been to many other beach resorts since in Asia and Thailand and haven't seen a place that compares for what I like. Why with so many options people decide to come here and then want to change a defining feature just boggles the mind. 

No, go elsewhere if you don't like it. The world doesn't revolve around you.

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

You do have a point, but for those wanting to sit down on a chair and not on the sand, enjoy the sea view and breeze and sip a coconut, what other alternative?

Bring your own chair and sit on it. Saves you the moolah.

39 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

It's not that easy. I also need a good size umbrella, drinks, cool box for the drinks, coconuts, guy with a machette to open the coconuts, rice cooker, food, cooking facilities, a cook, a waitress, etc

and I only have a motorbike.

:sad:

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

It's not that easy. I also need a good size umbrella, drinks, cool box for the drinks, coconuts, guy with a machette to open the coconuts, rice cooker, food, cooking facilities, a cook, a waitress, etc

and I only have a motorbike.

:sad:

There's your solution, you said you have a motorbike. Do the Thai style and load all that gear onto your bike and bring it to the beach. Problem solved :smile:

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Was not speaking for myself, but could be a bit cluttering for tourists to carry their beach chairs and umbrellas in the check in luggage.

8 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Not sure about one long open area but I've always thought the best solution is to have permanent open areas and permanent chair areas.  You should be able to sit on a chair every day or sit/play on open sand every day--depending on your preference.  

Not sure about one long open area but I've always thought the best solution is to have permanent open areas and permanent chair areas.  You should be able to sit on a chair every day or sit/play on open sand every day--depending on your preference.  

It remind me about every place you go in Thailand and how cluttered things are . If I am somewhere let's say a store and want to put my bag down to get out my money or sunglasses it's like every space is covered and crowded with clutter even buying the water at 7-11 , even with all the shelf space the counter where you bring your purchase up to where they bag it is cluttered with more crap to buy and promotions leaving almost no space to put down what you are buying . The beach has almost every inch covered with something related to a Thai selling or renting something and if you are trying to sleep on beach or visit with someone the venders keep coming up to you persistently trying to sell you something and waking you are interrupting your conversation . So why not have the cluttered Thai way but also have optional wide open space off limits to clutter and money making ?

Unfortunately the rubbish is left behind by the beach visitors.

Most if not all of the vendors clean the beaches after they break up for the night. 

Who is going to clean now?

Says much about the kind of visitors on the beach , so the venders are really the maids for the beach . That will help me frame a cluttered beach with gratitude for having people to clean up after Thailand's low class visitors to the beach .

Says much about the kind of visitors on the beach , so the venders are really the maids for the beach . That will help me frame a cluttered beach with gratitude for having people to clean up after Thailand's low class visitors to the beach .

So, what is the answer then?  Ban visitors to the beach, or screen out the low class visitors lol.

But you are correct, the beach chair vendors are maids of the beach, they keep their area clean, watch them around 5.30, when they are folding their chairs, they always leave their area clean. 

On 7/1/2017 at 1:51 AM, pegman said:

I know it likely didn't enter your mind but some of those chair venders have made a family living on Jomtien Beach for over 30 years. That's long before most condos, hotels or you. My I suggest you go to Bang Saray where there are no chairs, no umbrellas, no trinket sellers and NO PEOPLE! Why do people that want natural beaches come to a place like Jomtien in the first place when there are so many other options in Thailand? It gives them a reason to whine is the best I can figure out.

My plan a few years before retiring was to hit different counties around SE Asia to find a good place to settle down once my work life was done. I stumbled across a story in Lonely Planet about Jomtien Beach and made it my first stop. It was perfect for what I was looking for. I have been to many other beach resorts since in Asia and Thailand and haven't seen a place that compares for what I like. Why with so many options people decide to come here and then want to change a defining feature just boggles the mind. 

Last time I was in Bang Saray, not that long ago, a lot of the beach has disappeared due to the terrible construction they've done to make parking spots.  They've ruined a good part of the beach.  The other part is taken up by food vendors renting out tables on the beach.  A bit of a mafia approach to that....

P.S. B.S. is incredibly busy on the weekends.  Getting through town is a mess.

The beach may look better but the water is still heavily polluted.  So all the luxury apartments and hotels that are popping up all along that part of the coast , apart from complimentary fruit and toiletries etc should also provide  a health warning and a complimentary stomach pump.

Stick to the swimming pools

for me its not the fact of what they are doing that spoils it for me, its having others around at all. if its not a chair problem or a vendor its going to be something else. same old problem, either go to the trouble to go to an isolated area and have a great day, or watch fat guys fart and be with skinny thai ladies, your choice.

question is why do you keep going tot he crowded areas when its not working and never will, just laziness or hoping to find an exception one day? probably wont happen.

to sit in a chair btw is usually 40 baht or whatever it happens to be that day and the charge is not posted or on the food menu, for anyone listening who is a newbie.

Jomtien Beach, at least in the early 1980s, had no beach chair vendors.  It had 4-5 rows of gorgeous shade trees.  It was truly beautiful then and needed no makeover.  Over the years, the collision of greed and a twisted view of what a beach should look like, has destroyed what made Jomtien Beach special.  You can find palm trees everywhere, but it is not easy to find beaches lined with old-growth trees.  They have, IMHO, committed a crime against future generations.

I can remember the first Hotel being built, the Land Rover Showroom,that's been demolished.When you came down the hill only about 500 yards were built on , and 3 Beach Chair clusters . One Bar where you got free Shooters when the Afternoon Monsoos hit..One Jet Ski Chap called Ban who was a credit to Thailand , before scammers got there.Beach Road led to nowhere, but I still pop back,far ends not too bad.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

IMG_2868.JPGIMG_2555.JPG

Back home a day on the beach was taking our own fold up chairs, wind break or brolly and a picnic hamper...Folk could do the same here...I know holiday folk won't have that stuff but hotels could set up a daily hire system, make a few quid too...

2 hours ago, transam said:

Back home a day on the beach was taking our own fold up chairs, wind break or brolly and a picnic hamper...Folk could do the same here...I know holiday folk won't have that stuff but hotels could set up a daily hire system, make a few quid too...

You forgot the knotted hankie to protect your bonce.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:23 AM, bbi1 said:

There's your solution, you said you have a motorbike. Do the Thai style and load all that gear onto your bike and bring it to the beach. Problem solved :smile:

I'm with you on this, only having a motorbike is a lame excuse,

overloaded-motorbike.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:57 PM, Lumbini said:

Don't want fines. If they do farangs won't be able to go to the beach as the scam will start- remember the cigarette scam in Bkk?

Better to have all chair vendors pay a small amount for cleaners to pick up the rubbish.

3 hours ago, transam said:

So if I'm staying on Soi Buakhao I have to find a place that rents a chair, umbrella etc and then carry it across a road where the traffic doesn't stop for pedestrians, leave it unattended if I want some food or drink as I have to cross the beach road, and then carry it all back at the end of my beach sojurn.

NO THANKS.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So if I'm staying on Soi Buakhao I have to find a place that rents a chair, umbrella etc and then carry it across a road where the traffic doesn't stop for pedestrians, leave it unattended if I want some food or drink as I have to cross the beach road, and then carry it all back at the end of my beach sojurn.

NO THANKS.

If there is nothing on the beach available then yes....As a kid our family did that stuff...Just leave someone in attendance with your gear..

33 minutes ago, transam said:

If there is nothing on the beach available then yes....As a kid our family did that stuff...Just leave someone in attendance with your gear..

Hmmmmm. I'm on my own, and I'm not going to "hire" someone just to stay with my stuff. I just won't go to the beach if I can't rent it ON the beach. That way, THEY look after my stuff, and the only reason I would have to leave would be to use the loo, as THEY sell food and drinks.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmmm. I'm on my own, and I'm not going to "hire" someone just to stay with my stuff. I just won't go to the beach if I can't rent it ON the beach. That way, THEY look after my stuff, and the only reason I would have to leave would be to use the loo, as THEY sell food and drinks.

Hire a bird for the day....5958a424a993d_thumbsup.gif.bb6c66cd1b7cfeafa3fb6e380086ea93.gif

I have a favourite deckchair vendor and if I want to go for a swim and not sit around I just give her 20b to look after my bag. The local thief's must love the new rule. Lots of unattended bags to steal now. Seriously though even if the mafia own the sites they do provide employment to lots of people. Sadly people are going to lose their jobs so tourists can have an empty beach.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Again I mention why not have section with chair rentals and venders and also stretches of designated sections free of this so a person has a choice between chairs and services or just raw nature and beach . Again after seeing the beach on Wednesday free of venders and clutter it was so beautiful and for me worth not having the venders and services but would two different sections not be an option?

Archived