Stunning and shocking

Lumbini

On June 30, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Lumbini said:

Could they make one long area in Jomtien and have it NEVER HAVE VENDERS AND CHAIR RENTALS , and large fines to anyone leaving any trash

Then the other sections could be for those who prefer less nature and natural beauty where they can sit in old chairs out of the sun and have people trying to sell them things every few minutes

Nope. Thais don't understand the concept of affluent beach locations like that. They grew up around crowds and trash and rarely care about other locations. That's actually what they are comfortable with because that's what they grew up with and they assume you are as we'll.

if you want upscale your going to have to upsize. Either by moving away or paying off a high end resort from an internationally recognized hotel chain that has experience with what foreigners like.

im a little jaded about the whole Thai beach scene as we'll. never really found what I was looking for. The was an isolated beach on koh tarutao that fit the bill but not really setup for long term accommodation (park authorities dissuaded me from venturing there but I went anyhow FYI. They did not think there was anything there worth seeing).

Nope. Thais don't understand the concept of affluent beach locations like that. They grew up around crowds and trash and rarely care about other locations. That's actually what they are comfortable with because that's what they grew up with and they assume you are as we'll.

if you want upscale your going to have to upsize. Either by moving away or paying off a high end resort from an internationally recognized hotel chain that has experience with what foreigners like.

im a little jaded about the whole Thai beach scene as we'll. never really found what I was looking for. The was an isolated beach on koh tarutao that fit the bill but not really setup for long term accommodation (park authorities dissuaded me from venturing there but I went anyhow FYI. They did not think there was anything there worth seeing).

Very well written and I think I saw what you are speaking about yesterday watching Jomtien beach taken over by Thai's who left the beach a complete mess with no respect for nature or the people that would come later and have to deal with the mess they made of things . It's just the way it is and possibly will always be and you must leave and find new place to live or accept if one stays around here .

5 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Again I mention why not have section with chair rentals and venders and also stretches of designated sections free of this so a person has a choice between chairs and services or just raw nature and beach . Again after seeing the beach on Wednesday free of venders and clutter it was so beautiful and for me worth not having the venders and services but would two different sections not be an option?

Only the vendors clean the beach, so if there is an area without them, it will be covered in garbage. Enjoy that!

BTW, unless it's changed, the far end of Jomptien beach doesn't have deck chairs. Not enough people at that end to make it worthwhile, but I was last there in 2011.

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the far end of Jomptien beach doesn't have deck chairs. Not enough people at that end to make it worthwhile, but I was last there in 2011.

Yes still the same  no trees and no deck chair umbrellas either ,  but I see why because at high tide down that end the water  comes right up to the road and is quite deep at the seafood restaurants.

595af0cfc8880_IMG_0984(Medium).JPG.bdf8ef1106a02de99a525e40f4070e16.JPG

595af115419ba_IMG_0993(Medium).JPG.0ccb13722973e12edf825a25dbcb209e.JPG

The beach at Jomtien today is again stunningly beautiful not only without chairs set up but with all the chair operators massively cluttered and dirty stuff removed from the beach completely giving it a totally different and clean look , wow !

As much as I enjoy the convenience of being able to rent a chair occasionally I would much rather be on a beach that looks and feels like this and bring my own chair if I had the choice .

Just amazing the difference this makes one needs to take a walk and look to really understand as pictures don't really convey the experience .

21 hours ago, Lumbini said:

The beach at Jomtien today is again stunningly beautiful not only without chairs set up but with all the chair operators massively cluttered and dirty stuff removed from the beach completely giving it a totally different and clean look , wow !

As much as I enjoy the convenience of being able to rent a chair occasionally I would much rather be on a beach that looks and feels like this and bring my own chair if I had the choice .

Just amazing the difference this makes one needs to take a walk and look to really understand as pictures don't really convey the experience .

Like it or not, they provide a service that people want. Scenery may look nice but Thais need employment more than a view.

If a beach without chairs is essential, there are hundreds of miles of Thai beaches without such, or even many/ any of those pesky people wanting to use a deck chair and umbrella.

Its not rocket science, some like chairs, some don't. Cant they cater for both? Its all about choice.

Personally I'm in the don't like chair camp, and what I do object to is the stories of beach chair vendors bullying people into using their chairs.

Vendors could have their use, if policed properly (educated even) one hopes they could keep the beach clean too as part of their concession.

2 hours ago, sungod said:

what I do object to is the stories of beach chair vendors bullying people into using their chairs.

Stories are just that. Would you be bullied into using a chair? I wouldn't.

25 minutes ago, champers said:

Stories are just that. Would you be bullied into using a chair? I wouldn't.

Definitely not stories.  Plenty of reports about people being chased off the beach.

Sadly, go against them and you'll be surrounded by 10 angry and aggressive Thai guys instantly.

25 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Definitely not stories.  Plenty of reports about people being chased off the beach.

Sadly, go against them and you'll be surrounded by 10 angry and aggressive Thai guys instantly.

I remember one from a few years ago on Koh Larn. It involved a Russian lady and a Cambodian beach worker. I beleve they couldn't agree on whether Stalinism or Maoism was the more acceptable form of Communism. Please show a link to any other such stories.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

I remember one from a few years ago on Koh Larn. It involved a Russian lady and a Cambodian beach worker. I beleve they couldn't agree on whether Stalinism or Maoism was the more acceptable form of Communism. Please show a link to any other such stories.

Just google it.

18 hours ago, champers said:

You can google for the story as well as I can, suffice to say wongamat was Ithe first beach to be cleared because of agressive chair vendors.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:34 AM, newnative said:

Not sure about one long open area but I've always thought the best solution is to have permanent open areas and permanent chair areas.  You should be able to sit on a chair every day or sit/play on open sand every day--depending on your preference.  

That would be the logical solution.

Unfortunately Thailand doesn't do logic.

Archived