Prayut could decide to run in election: Prawit

rooster59

31 minutes ago, wvavin said:

It's interesting to see how is the result if there is ever a political party formed by the military.

They would win. What would you do when armed men of the state go from house to house 'campaigning' against a backdrop of jailings? Let the recent constitution vote be your guide...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would run in the election to be voted for what?

The next prime minister will be unelected as is this one.  The PM is chosen by the military appointed Senate which includes reserved seats for the military.  The chosen PM does not have to be associated with any party or indeed doesn't even need to be a politician.  The Senate has 250 unelected seats with the House of Representatives with 500.  Now I wonder who could be chosen as the next PM!!!!!

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

He would run in the election to be voted for what?

The next prime minister will be unelected as is this one.  The PM is chosen by the military appointed Senate which includes reserved seats for the military.  The chosen PM does not have to be associated with any party or indeed doesn't even need to be a politician.  The Senate has 250 unelected seats with the House of Representatives with 500.  Now I wonder who could be chosen as the next PM!!!!!

Salient reminder that regardless if the army forms a political party and participates in the polls, they can and will have the final say.

Nothing to see here. Move along now.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for the reference.

Southeast Asian  nations with disparate customs and cultures have traditionally been in thrall to the strong leader in uniform. Notably South Korea, Taiwan and Indonesia have had long love affairs with successive military 'democracies' but still managed to evolve with much less drama than Thailand has. South Korea broke from the tradition around 1987 and quickly became a technology pioneer. I think Taiwan may have become an 'Asian Tiger' about ten years earlier while still under military rule. However that administration was hell bent on growth and being able to look down both industrially and commercially on mainland China as a viable, independent nation. Certainly if there was a huge neighboring country ready to swallow you up, it would be an incentive enough. Indonesia lived under the shadow of Sukarno's guided democracy and Suharto's various 'dynasties' but pretty much turfed them out about 20 years ago. More recently, Myanmar has reset the clock in a major way.

It looks like all Thailand's successive military governments did was look after themselves in some sort of unspoken acknowledgement that there was always going to be another counter coup replete with the grandiloquent speeches about moving forward, quelling corruption and all done in the name of king, country and keeping everyone happy.

It is cheering to see Abhisit and Yingluck publicly endorse this notion that the army could be part of a new democratic process but in the most likely event that they do not get anything like a mandate to govern, will they be willing to genuinely play their part as a constructive and necessary, minority opposition party or will they say that it wasn't the result they wanted, declare it all null and void and once again decide they alone know what is good of the country?

The big difference is that for the most part, the Taiwanese, South Korean and Indonesian armies were self-serving. I don't think the same can be said for the Thai military though. I don't think they have ever been 'their own man' when it came to staging a coup but is it possible that this is changing too?

A rather eloquent, and informative reply. Thanks for that. One wonders is it possible the Thai leaders simply have less vision and intelligence, than that of their neighbors? It is impressive what Thailand has been able to achieve, but if they had not been an "industrial vassal state" of Japan all of this time, how much of that would have been possible? There are 7,000 Japanese companies either manufacturing, distributing, or operating on some level here. Perhaps some of this myopia was due to the extremely inward looking perspective, the lack of a world view that the others might have gotten through either colonialization, more of an awareness of the planet at large, and the study of world  history and geography? The false nationalism that the Thais have been indoctrinated with, no doubt has held the nation back, on so many different levels. 

There is a good chance we have seen the last Thai coup of our lifetimes. They staged nearly all of the previous coups with the moral authority of the big man, and the people more or less went along with it. That is no longer the case, on any level. 

Edited by spidermike007

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A rather eloquent, and informative reply. Thanks for that. One wonders is it possible the Thai leaders simply have less vision and intelligence, than that of their neighbors? It is impressive what Thailand has been able to achieve, but if they had not been an "industrial vassal state" of Japan all of this time, how much of that would have been possible? There are 7,000 Japanese companies either manufacturing, distributing, or operating on some level here. Perhaps some of this myopia was due to the extremely inward looking perspective, the lack of a world view that the others might have gotten through either colonialization, more of an awareness of the planet at large, and the study of world  history and geography? The false nationalism that the Thais have been indoctrinated with, no doubt has held the nation back, on so many different levels. 

There is a good chance we have seen the last Thai coup of our lifetimes. They staged nearly all of the previous coups with the moral authority of the big man, and the people more or less went along with it. That is no longer the case, on any level. 

Your last para is most pertaining to the current and near future political development. The yoke has been lifted and there are very few reasons for the population to continue to be submissive out of love and respect. What happen in this decade has near nothing to do with the great one. 

11 minutes ago, Pigdog747 said:

That explains whey he is out to destroy Yingluck Shinawatra and the Shinawatra family, he's know that she is love by the Thai people and would likely defeat him in an election.  Remove/destroy the opposition. 

Not really. Most of the supporters who used to like her, now consider her to be a tool, a fool, and a very, very incompetent politician. Actually, most I talk to consider Thaksin to be much the same. I think that family has passed their sell by date. He has proven over and over again, that his own self interests are far more important that that of the country. And the people have seen that, for the most part. So, I think that family is done. Thankfully. All we can do is hope that some effective leaders emerge, sometime soon. For now, Prayuth seems to be doing everything in his power to suppress that from happening.

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not really. Most of the supporters who used to like her, now consider her to be a tool, a fool, and a very, very incompetent politician. Actually, most I talk to consider Thaksin to be much the same. I think that family has passed their sell by date. He has proven over and over again, that his own self interests are far more important that that of the country. And the people have seen that, for the most part. So, I think that family is done. Thankfully. All we can do is hope that some effective leaders emerge, sometime soon. For now, Prayuth seems to be doing everything in his power to suppress that from happening.

How many is 'most' and how were they surveyed?

Otherwise it's just fake news made up on demand to support a bogus point.

Perhaps it's only 'most' people you've talked to over a dish of noodles... I really dislike it when people who don't know any better make up bogus statements that represent their personal opinion and present them as fact. Shame on an intelligent man for acting like an unintelligent man.

Edited by HocusPocus67

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Most of the supporters who used to like her, now consider her to be a tool, a fool, and a very, very incompetent politician. Actually, most I talk to consider Thaksin to be much the same.

Those opinions are definitely not those of the not inconsiderable numbers still carrying a torch for the Shinawatras.

Or maybe like most Thais, they are sublimely capable of telling you what you want to hear. Fancy that, eh?

The thing is, in a country where open political debate is stifled, who really knows the extent of anyone's popularity? A fair election would be the truest means of finding out. If and when there is an election and if it is not rigged.

The extremely lukewarm response to the PMs 4 questions offers up some vague sense of how he is thought of.

hmmm..... given his ability to control everything, presumably he would win the election, which would leave Thailand in the situation it's already in. Seems a bit pointless really if your alleged claim is to restore democracy ?

5 hours ago, HocusPocus67 said:

How many is 'most' and how were they surveyed?

Otherwise it's just fake news made up on demand to support a bogus point.

Perhaps it's only 'most' people you've talked to over a dish of noodles... I really dislike it when people who don't know any better make up bogus statements that represent their personal opinion and present them as fact. Shame on an intelligent man for acting like an unintelligent man.

My wife is from Issan, and every time we visit, I ask alot of locals up there how they feel about the Shins. This was while she was still in power, and since. "Most" said they have lost faith in her, and her brother. And that was alot. It was not a scientific survey, and I did not imply that it was. No reason to make this so personal. We are all just sharing our points of view here. I promise to be a gentleman, if you do. 

And by the way, I do not support the fake news narrative, when it comes from a leader who declares the news fake, every time he hears something that offends him, or points out some truths about him. This whole fake news thing is getting a bit worn out, and typically is being used by people with a political agenda.

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

My wife is from Issan, and every time we visit, I ask alot of locals up there how they feel about the Shins. This was while she was still in power, and since. "Most" said they have lost faith in her, and her brother. And that was alot. It was not a scientific survey, and I did not imply that it was. No reason to make this so personal. We are all just sharing our points of view here. I promise to be a gentleman, if you do. 

And by the way, I do not support the fake news narrative, when it comes from a leader who declares the news fake, every time he hears something that offends him, or points out some truths about him. This whole fake news thing is getting a bit worn out, and typically is being used by people with a political agenda.

So 'most' Thais, is actually most Thais that talk to you and are prepared to give you what they claim is their opiion, which you choose to believe. Probably naively in my view.

Trump was not the originator of the term 'fake news', and fwiw, I do not have a lot of regard for him either, though i am certain that a population gets the government it deserves, which neatly explains the travails of the Americans, for which I have no sympathy at all, and the Thais, for whom I have even less.

My original comment holds; you neither know nor can state the opinion 'most' Thais and have instead summarised what a very few Thais have chosen to tell you (which you cannot reasonably hold as true in light of the well-known propensity for Thais to lie as the option of first resort), and have sought to represent as the opinion of the majority of Thais. I really do wish you hadn't done that.

Edited by HocusPocus67

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Up to them- really sum it all up in three words.
In Isaan not many folk will admit to farang they are red. They know it not considered a good choice to say.

But really when you think, Isaan have its own powers through the pooyais and those families with the power and they rarely ever change.
Its they who will tell villagers who to vote for 
after consider which party 'donate' the most and how the spoils are share around. 

what i am told in the past, have been 500baht a person and whatever free stuff is on promise, then pooyai will 'endorse' them who to vote for. 

Who knows how it will be next time. If the general try to stop this system the villagers wont be happy!

My opinion- if you keep these farmer poor (and they are a large % of population) they have no luxury of consider who is the best or offer the best future for the country,
They must consider what they will get for their family and how much share of the crumbs they can have.

Issan if honest talk will say..One thing about a politician is the same as big police.
Is Thai style superannuation. They pay a big fee to guy who leaves to take over the good job.
Its this cost upfront, then when have control your free to recoup your outlay and proceed to get rich yourself.

Its the way its always been, cant see it changing.

What makes me laugh is the farangs crying democracy and rubbishing anyone in power here.

Because what happen when a new guy gets in and is worse even than Taksin? What will you say then? because after all your superior western considerations and democracy, thai back in the same old rut..

This is what the general considers as he keeps repeating as much in his speech.

But its the farang who knows only half the true story but still trying to push a western system on Asians who do it their own way since ever.

Just let em get on with it and be glad you can stay here and dont have to vote for any of em!

9 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

Up to them- really sum it all up in three words.
In Isaan not many folk will admit to farang they are red. They know it not considered a good choice to say.

But really when you think, Isaan have its own powers through the pooyais and those families with the power and they rarely ever change.
Its they who will tell villagers who to vote for 
after consider which party 'donate' the most and how the spoils are share around. 

what i am told in the past, have been 500baht a person and whatever free stuff is on promise, then pooyai will 'endorse' them who to vote for. 

Who knows how it will be next time. If the general try to stop this system the villagers wont be happy!

My opinion- if you keep these farmer poor (and they are a large % of population) they have no luxury of consider who is the best or offer the best future for the country,
They must consider what they will get for their family and how much share of the crumbs they can have.

Issan if honest talk will say..One thing about a politician is the same as big police.
Is Thai style superannuation. They pay a big fee to guy who leaves to take over the good job.
Its this cost upfront, then when have control your free to recoup your outlay and proceed to get rich yourself.

Its the way its always been, cant see it changing.

What makes me laugh is the farangs crying democracy and rubbishing anyone in power here.

Because what happen when a new guy gets in and is worse even than Taksin? What will you say then? because after all your superior western considerations and democracy, thai back in the same old rut..

This is what the general considers as he keeps repeating as much in his speech.

But its the farang who knows only half the true story but still trying to push a western system on Asians who do it their own way since ever.

Just let em get on with it and be glad you can stay here and dont have to vote for any of em!

Another guy who thinks he's able to talk on behalf of the 52% of Thai population that live in the North and Northeast.

500 baht per vote your told.

Then why all the trouble over the last 10 years?

Couldn't Abhisit have just offered 600 baht bypassed the coups?

Perhaps you've been told a bit of nonsense and unwisely believed it and then foolishly regurgitated it?

Thailand has been in the same old rut, since 1932.

The only time it has escaped the rut has been under the recent elected governments.

Do the Reds vote Red for one off payments of 500 baht or for improvement in living standards those elected governments bring to their lives?

17,000 babies dying every year for lack of access to health care no longer die because an elected government introduced Universal Health Care?

How disgusting are you to say that Reds value one off payments of 500 baht over the lives of their children.

Democracy is the cure Thailand desperately needs

5959fe8e8877a_ScreenShot2017-06-29at10_58_33AM.png.d3c30356a72b4d7de679a4d45553095f.png

The General is worse than Thaksin and because there is no democracy there is no time limit on how long he'll be around and no way to remove him - how fantastic.

32 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

Amen brother. Cat's can't be dogs and pigs can't fly. Leave 'em to stew in the juice of their own choices. One day they'll be ready to join the rest of the world, but that won't be today or tomorrow. Thais know best.

Just now, Smarter Than You said:

Another guy who thinks he's able to talk on behalf of the 52% of Thai population that live in the North and Northeast.

500 baht per vote your told.

Then why all the trouble over the last 10 years?

Couldn't Abhisit have just offered 600 baht bypassed the coups?

Perhaps you've been told a bit of nonsense and unwisely believed it and then foolishly regurgitated it?

Thailand has been in the same old rut, since 1932.

The only time it has escaped the rut has been under the recent elected governments.

Do the Reds vote Red for one off payments of 500 baht or for improvement in living standards those elected governments bring to their lives?

17,000 babies dying every year for lack of access to health care no longer die because an elected government introduced Universal Health Care?

How disgusting are you to say that Reds value one off payments of 500 baht over the lives of their children.

Democracy is the cure Thailand desperately needs

5959fe8e8877a_ScreenShot2017-06-29at10_58_33AM.png.d3c30356a72b4d7de679a4d45553095f.png

The General is worse than Thaksin and because there is no democracy there is no time limit on how long he'll be around and no way to remove him - how fantastic.

The reality that I have witnessed is that Isaan fiolk will take the 500 baht from all sides and then vote who they owe favours to or who they like or who they think they ought to vote for. There isn't a lot of thought that goes into it and what thought there is, is focussed on local fortunes and not national. That's what the big guy knew and he was right. It isn't what the new guys know, any of them. 

There isn't any point trying to figure out what Isaan people will do. A westerner will always have trouble seeing things from the perspective of a <89 IQ Isaan farmer whose only concern is with making enough rice to eat next year with a bit left over for fuel for the Kubota. Isaan a whole different world where laws about driving age etc simply don't exist because the police have never made them relevant to Isaan lives. Isaan people will do in 2018 what they did at the last election and Prayuth, himself a sub-average IQ won't be able to understand why. His only course will be to subvert the vote or make it ineffective. That much he does know.

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

It's going to be a huge slap in the face for Prayut bashers if he actually runs and does get elected by the Thai people

Oh wait then of course the election was rigged so we can bash even more

I would vote for him if I could

Of course you would. The reality is that the effect of a non-Prayuth vote will be countered and the foreign governments don't care enough about Thailand to give a damn. To them, Thailand is like an appendix, you only ever pay any attention to it when it becomes painful.