Pattaya Klang-Suk Junction at the tunnel is open.

Thailand J

The junction turning into and out of Pattaya Klang has been open for quite a while...the junction on top of the tunnel was still having final touches applied with no sign of traffic lights a few weeks ago
Looked to me like it could be a confusing junction when it does fully open.

54 minutes ago, johng said:

The junction turning into and out of Pattaya Klang has been open for quite a while...the junction on top of the tunnel was still having final touches applied with no sign of traffic lights a few weeks ago

My understanding is that traffic exiting from Klang and wanting to head south will first turn north for around 250-300 m and u-turn just short of the SSCC right turn. This will make the traffic making the right turn into Klang from Sukhumvit an easier share with the local traffic crossing over from SSCC and Noenplubwan onto Klang. The signage better be good but I am pretty sure that they will eventually need to install those plastic poles to stop people cutting into lanes too late. However, on a holiday weekend it won't make a bit of difference, not even the tunnel.

It was a perfect candidate for a "roundabout" not that they work here, the trial one on Jomtien 2nd and wat boon junction has been removed and the one at North Pattaya crippled...[emoji20] :(

I approached there yesterday from North pattaya on my way to the Sukhumvit home pro. Stuck in line wanting to use the new U turn and watching Thais fail to realise the road narrows from four lane to two. And then as usual fail to merge or give way to enable others to merge. My Mrs asks, "why haven't they opened the tunnel"  I just shake my head... Anyhow we finally made the U turn and as we approach Boonthawan I can see the 'fast' lane is closed with more barriers.

Oh, seems all is not well as they have re-excavated a section ajacent to the exit on the South side. Hmmm I wonder what the issue is ?

6 minutes ago, johng said:

It was a perfect candidate for a "roundabout" not that they work here, the trial one on Jomtien 2nd and wat boon junction has been removed and the one at North Pattaya crippled...emoji20.png:(

A roundabout woyld be fine anywhere else. They can't use them here. The concept of 'give way' and 'merge' are just totally unknown in the land of selfish drivers.

1 hour ago, johng said:

The junction on top of the tunnel is now open with lights.

Edited by Thailand J

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My understanding is that traffic exiting from Klang and wanting to head south will first turn north for around 250-300 m and u-turn just short of the SSCC right turn. This will make the traffic making the right turn into Klang from Sukhumvit an easier share with the local traffic crossing over from SSCC and Noenplubwan onto Klang. The signage better be good but I am pretty sure that they will eventually need to install those plastic poles to stop people cutting into lanes too late. However, on a holiday weekend it won't make a bit of difference, not even the tunnel.

Traffic exiting Klang going S  will  turn right thru a light above the tunnel. No need to go N for a u-turn.

Traffic exiting Klang going to Nernplabwan will have to make a U-turn and swirl from one side of Suk to another. This is a death trap which exited before the construction... I wished but was not changed by the new construction. The safe way to go from Klang to Nernplabwan is to make full use of the lights.

53 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Traffic exiting Klang going S  will  turn right thru a light above the tunnel. No need to go N for a u-turn.

Traffic exiting Klang going to Nernplabwan will have to make a U-turn and swirl from one side of Suk to another. This is a death trap which exited before the construction... I wished but was not changed by the new construction. The safe way to go from Klang to Nernplabwan is to make full use of the lights.

Thanks for that clarification. My comment was based on a post by another Pattaya resident in the tunnel thread who was trying to work out the junction function before the signs and lights got turned on.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Oh, seems all is not well as they have re-excavated a section ajacent to the exit on the South side. Hmmm I wonder what the issue is ?

There's also a permanent wet spot right at the northbound exit from the tunnel, just about opposite the huge gratings bear Boonthavorn. Pretty sure both of these areas maybe have plumbing issues. There's similarly large covered drainage installation at the low spot between Klang and Tai on the southbound lane.

Now we have delays again driving North with the light!  The tunnel's not yet opened, but the traffic lights are on, forcing the Northbound traffic to backup as it did during the construction.

What's holding up the opening of the tunnel?  There is no evidence of any construction work going on?

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There's also a permanent wet spot right at the northbound exit from the tunnel, just about opposite the huge gratings bear Boonthavorn. Pretty sure both of these areas maybe have plumbing issues. There's similarly large covered drainage installation at the low spot between Klang and Tai on the southbound lane.

Yeah I saw them working in the same area some months back pumping water out of the hole. Maybe they broke in to an aquifer or an underground river close to the surface. Bloody damp spots :whistling:

What's holding up the opening of the tunnel?  There is no evidence of any construction work going on?

They are supposedly "testing" all the "high tech" tunnel systems and trying to find skilled operators to keep the systems working...I think there might be "other" reasons that will only be revealed after a proper rainy season or 2.
Cue the
"its built on top of a hill" crew

11 minutes ago, johng said:

They are supposedly "testing" all the "high tech" tunnel systems and trying to find skilled operators to keep the systems working...I think there might be "other" reasons that will only be revealed after a proper rainy season or 2.
Cue the

News item last week said mid August for opening due to the delay caused by needing to find, as johng says above, a skilled operator for the systems...........

As others already said why did they not have this person lined up for the original opening date as they must have known they were needed.......

Edited by topt
add link

11 hours ago, johng said:

Cue the

The news on Thai social media is the construction company hasn't been paid.  So they are refusing to open the tunnel.  The new administration is pushing back on some stuff saying they weren't involved in the negotiations. LOL

I'll try to find the links.

22 hours ago, Pdaz said:

A roundabout woyld be fine anywhere else. They can't use them here. The concept of 'give way' and 'merge' are just totally unknown in the land of selfish drivers.

Unfortunately most ex-pats don't know the difference between merge and yield either but because

they are both more polite and defensive in there driving things do usually work out for them.

Unfortunately most ex-pats don't know the difference between merge and yield either but because
they are both more polite and defensive in there driving things do usually work out for them.

To be fair, and this is dragging things off topic, i have had to force myself to be less courteous here than I was back in the UK since it can be more dangerous than trying to 'fit in'.

The number of times I used to stop to let someone cross in front of me and seen them nearly taken out by a motorbike shooting down either side without being able to see them was getting ridiculous.

18 hours ago, richsilver said:

Now we have delays again driving North with the light!  The tunnel's not yet opened, but the traffic lights are on, forcing the Northbound traffic to backup as it did during the construction.

Maybe it's not auspicious before July 9th? Just wondering...

On 7/2/2017 at 9:57 AM, johng said:

It was a perfect candidate for a "roundabout" not that they work here, the trial one on Jomtien 2nd and wat boon junction has been removed and the one at North Pattaya crippled...emoji20.png:(

they are NOT taught how TO USE A ROUNDABOUT in Thailand....traffic lights are now back in operation Jomtien 2nd road/Wat boom....been in use for about 4 weeks

On 02/07/2017 at 3:57 AM, johng said:

Perhaps for the best.... as you say thye do not work well in Thailand, someone nearly killed me on the Wat boon one. We apparently had different ideas on who should give way.

On 03/07/2017 at 10:49 AM, garbolino said:

they are NOT taught how TO USE A ROUNDABOUT in Thailand....traffic lights are now back in operation Jomtien 2nd road/Wat boom....been in use for about 4 weeks

...........and much the worse for it, it is too! 

10 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I'll be back in Pattaya mid-August for a look-see and retirement extension renewal. I hope the flow from Klang and over to Noen Pub Wan gets sorted. If so, I just might move back to the Darkside. 

Not sure if the turn from Suk into Soi Siam is operational yet as I dont go that way but can turn right onto Suk from Klang and then either left into Khao Noi or one of the small Sois before then onto the bypass and right into Plub Wan easily.

Not sure if the turn from Suk into Soi Siam is operational yet as I dont go that way but can turn right onto Suk from Klang and then either left into Khao Noi or one of the small Sois before then onto the bypass and right into Plub Wan easily.

If you turn left at the top of Klang there is a u-turn just before SSCC where you can either go straight across to Numchai or a bit further and turn into NPW.

1 hour ago, Orac said:

If you turn left at the top of Klang there is a u-turn just before SSCC where you can either go straight across to Numchai or a bit further and turn into NPW.

Awesome some normality is returning, I wonder if they are holding off opening the Soi Siam turn until the tunnel opens so as to not have all that traffic getting through both sets of traffic light (Siam and Klang) ?

Important angle on the junction. Can you come off NPW, turn left and slide right through the junction and enter  Klang like you used to be able to do and avoid the 1 km run to the u-turn past Khao Noi?

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp