Thai/farang prices vice versa -- higher prices for thais in other countries

chado

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL> no assumptions were made, sir. You indicated you hang off your wife's coattails. 

You often see Thai women emasculating their foreign partners. You can still do things with her, but act like a man.

You are so full of it. Waste of my time. I'll just go and hide behind my wife and enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Wherever I am I just do all my shopping in big shops with price labels, where everyone pays the same price regardless of what colour skin they have or where they live. I probably only have 10-20 years left to live and I dont want to waste them talking to money-grabbing morons.

Just now, timkeen08 said:

You are so full of it. Waste of my time. I'll just go and hide behind my wife and enjoy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

LOL> you're not full of it? 

I do most everything with my wife too, but she's not my negotiator or accountant.

Dunno where you lot do your shopping.

The local market here most prices are displayed on little bits of cardboard.

If you like you can watch a Thai pay say 8B/kg for a pineapple displayed price and then the farang can buy one at exactly the same price.

Same at Ang Sila fish market, you'll pay the price displayed and watch Thais paying the same price.

Sheesh........

12 minutes ago, grollies said:

If you like you can watch a Thai pay say 8B/kg for a pineapple displayed price and then the farang can buy one at exactly the same price.

Same at Ang Sila fish market, you'll pay the price displayed and watch Thais paying the same price.

Sheesh........

Sheesh.....

You never go to a park, you never employ a gardener,.....

14 minutes ago, grollies said:

Sheesh........

Most markets around Pattaya have prices clearly indicated too. If there aren't prices displayed you know they are scammers and you stay away. I think a lot of stall holders are getting the idea that they lose business from foreigners if they don't mark prices.

Most markets around Pattaya have prices clearly indicated too. If there aren't prices displayed you know they are scammers and you stay away. I think a lot of stall holders are getting the idea that they lose business from foreigners if they don't mark prices.

The market on South Pattaya Rd near tuk com have no prices however I've always been quoted within a few baht for vegetables with the several operating there however they are all more expensive than big c but I'm staying near the market so just easier

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes the UK !!   think a bit more  e.g. just one thing it cost a lot more for Thais to get into UK if their even allow to,  how much for you into Thailand.

What about how much do you earn compared to most Thais.

Same old same old. :sick:

I don't earn anything, I'm retired.

15 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

The market on South Pattaya Rd near tuk com have no prices however I've always been quoted within a few baht for vegetables with the several operating there however they are all more expensive than big c but I'm staying near the market so just easier

I don't shop there much, but I've seen prices marked there.

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Yes, but... the Thais are poor.

Yes, but... if you send in a Thai first.

Yes, but... I know a place that is fair.

Yes, but... it never happens to me, only happens to you.

Uncle Toms you are!

OK The term  "Uncle Tom"  is also used as a derogatory epithet for an excessively subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race.

Can you explain in English.  :laugh:

Edited by Kwasaki

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK The term  "Uncle Tom"  is also used as a derogatory epithet for an excessively subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race.

Can you explain in English.  :laugh:

I think your explanation is just fine.

The wife and I went to a market the other day.

Some stalls had marked prices, and everyone paid that price.

Others did not have marked prices, and buyer and vendor haggled until an agreed price was reached or the buyer walked away.

Where is this market?

Portobello Road in London!

When she first arrived in the UK, I took my wife round the usual tourist places; Tower of London, Windsor Castle etc. She was amazed that I had to pay the same entry fee as her;  saying "It's your country, your history, you should pay less than a foreigner."

Edited by 7by7
Correct typo

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes the UK !!   think a bit more  e.g. just one thing it cost a lot more for Thais to get into UK if their even allow to,  how much for you into Thailand.

What about how much do you earn compared to most Thais.

Same old same old. :sick:

400k Baht in the bank for a marriage visa equates to roughly 10 years of your average Thai partner's wages. If that were reflected equally then a Thai person would require over 150k GBP even at UK minimum wage.

I don't shop there much, but I've seen prices marked there.

Only on the fruit. Not the Veges though. I don't buy market meat it's always more expensive when your a farang.

Back to my condo BKK Friday and hit the on nut big c from Nana.

Stock up the back pack, all fresh and prices shown of course

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

A farang who lives in Thailand typically pays the local price, whereas the farang tourists does not.  There are exceptions, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

a farang pays THAI price for various places if he/she has Thai driving licence e.g Nong Nooch gardens 

Edited by garbolino

1 minute ago, garbolino said:

a farang pays THAI price for various places if he/she has Thai driving licence

Woooooooow.

Now this is a useful post at last.

Next time when I go to the market or talk with a builder I will show my driving licence.

PS. Is your real name Rip Van Winkle? Are you talking about your last visit to a national park before you fell asleep?

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It is true that in most of the world tourists (of all races, even local tourists)are scammed.

Not in Scandinavia or NZ, but those are exeptions.

It is however NOT true that farangs who live in Thailand usually get the local price.

I even doubt that my Thai wife always gets the local price, when the scammers know she is married to a farang.

And I find it disgusting that I have to send my wife into a shop alone first to ask the price - though I must admit that the look on the scammer's face when I next walk in, compensates for that.

Went shopping in Pratunam years ago with my first Thai GF and my now wife. They saw jeans for 100 baht and went to buy a pair. Girl told them 200 baht, they said sign says 100 baht. She told them you have farang can afford more. We all walked away and I just gave them money and said buy what you want  I'll just walk around over here. Even now with my wife when we go shopping she will tell me some time to walk away as vendor will ask for more money if they see me with her.

As for second question the answer  for at least USA is no ,Thai are not charged higher price. You pay price as marked wether your black, white, Thai, Arab , African ect. And for saying Thai pay higher price because things in USA cost more those that can travel there or work there  (they are paid same price as any other US worker) can afford it. If they qualify for a visa they don't have to pay exorbitant price for it and no 90 dys report and immigration could care less whaat you are doing or traveling to.

I don't get bent all out of shape because farang pay higher price at some tourist destination, happens everywhere in the world.  I am from Boston Mass USA and everyone who lives there knows if you go to downtown tourist area your going to pay high prices at restaurants and shops. Buy a Boston Red Sox t-shirt in Faneuil Hall (tourist trap) and pay $25  go up the street to local  shops pay $10 or less

Edited by Tony125

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Sheesh.....

You never go to a park, you never employ a gardener,.....

Go to a park? Occasionally, the last one was a 26k off-road trek into elephant territory. Paid the standard entrance fee 17k in.

Refused to go into the floating market in Ayuttahya, fee for farang, free for Thai but that is not the subject of this topic.

Employ a gardener? Yep, pay around B300/day.

Employ tappers as well, pay them 50/50 as the rubber price is crap.

Sheesh.....

1 minute ago, grollies said:

Go to a park? Occasionally, the last one was a 26k off-road trek into elephant territory. Paid the standard entrance fee 17k in.

Refused to go into the floating market in Ayuttahya, fee for farang, free for Thai but that is not the subject of this topic.

Employ a gardener? Yep, pay around B300/day.

Employ tappers as well, pay them 50/50 as the rubber price is crap.

Sheesh.....

Sheesh....kebab

45 minutes ago, notmyself said:

400k Baht in the bank for a marriage visa equates to roughly 10 years of your average Thai partner's wages. If that were reflected equally then a Thai person would require over 150k GBP even at UK minimum wage.

Are you saying that an average Thai earns just 3000 Baht a month? Either nonsense, or only very poor Thais at that poverty level are interested in marrying old retired farangs or the struggling youngsters. All of the well educated working expats that i know are all married to Thai professionals who earn very good salaries and are in no way dependent on handouts from their husbands.

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You said:

I can enter freely in many more countries than a Thai. 

Please explain.

probably the easiest example is for a US citizen to come to Thailand, they just get on a plane... 30 days on arrival - no cost... for my wife to come as a visitor to USA, there is an application process, long, drawn out and no guarantee of successfully obtaining a visa, - cost just for the application is $125 or is it more now? Then there are interviews etc..