Online stores to come under strict control

webfact

Online stores to come under strict control

PNECO600703001000801.jpg

BANGKOK, 3 July 2017 (NNT) - The Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI) met with relevant agencies to develop measures to ensure that online stores don't take advantage of their consumers. 

TISI Deputy Secretary-General Wanchai Phanomchai revealed that the TISI joined a meeting with the Department of Business Development, the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, the Consumer Protection Police Division and the Food and Drug Administration to discuss measures to protect online consumers. 

Wanchai said the TISI often received complaints regarding overtly-exaggerated online advertisements and untaxed products, causing losses in the government's revenue. 

The meeting wasn't able to come to a conclusion as officials are still looking for measures that would not affect online stores operating legally. Related agencies will meet again in the next two weeks to further discuss the issue.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-07-03

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Wanchai said the TISI often received complaints regarding overtly-exaggerated online advertisements and untaxed products, causing losses in the government's revenue. 

Problem A is true of all advertising, online or not. 

I find it hard to believe consumers are complaining about problem B. 

40 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Problem A is true of all advertising, online or not. 

I find it hard to believe consumers are complaining about problem B. 

I think the problem might be that brick and mortar shops are complaining about competition. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think the problem might be that brick and mortar shops are complaining about competition. 

Yep complaining about competition rather than adapting to competition who says foreigners dont understand thainess.

it's been wonderful to order almost any book you want and have it delivered by Amazon.  not too expensive given what we're talking about i.e. shipping to and into Thailand, to your door stop. Amazon boxes don't get opened at all by the local Thai postal service here. no tax online or when delivered. and Amazon has been eating some of the shipping maybe. 

it's been so cool.... so I stocked up. anything and everything I might ever want to read for many years to come.  and I read a lot. and not just books... shhh..... lately that's also worked very very well. and Amazon has been ****great**** if anything gets broken in shipment.... they refund in full and took my word for it, just an email.  if I weren't done ordering a lot of stuff already.... I probably wouldn't post that info!     

now they are going to put a tax. and the shipping may go up to. 

I say... order stuff from Amazon now. the Thai's will need more and more revenue sources. and quickly.

Edited by maewang99

Thailand needs to catch up with the rest of world in which online purchases are as normal as walking to the 7-11.

First step Thailand should take is to make it compulsary by law that any online shop in Thailand needs to refund the customer in case the customer wants to return the goods and thereby providing faith in online shopping. With this, the online sales can grow and the government can collect taxes of the online goods sold.

BUT of course they don't care about the consumer, since they are only interested in any missing taxes, while they can't see the bigger picture.

In the Netherlands everybody buys everything online. Even my parents of over 70. There are almost no problems there, but it's backed up with consumer protection AND matching payment systems etc.

I remember just a few years ago you needed to go to the bank and fill in a form if you wanted to add someone in your cyberbanking account to send money. Seriously, what are they smoking??? Luckily that's improved now, but still online banking is shxt for online businesses. You can't even see who transfers money to you or from which account. For some reason, they try to protect privacy, but they haven't got a clue of secure or easy banking.

Wanchai said the TISI often received complaints regarding overtly-exaggerated online advertisements and untaxed products, causing losses in the government's revenue

Yeah, right. People are complaining that the government is loosing revenue. Can't stop laughing................:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Actual what they want to write is: we haven't got a clue yet about the current online shops income streams, but we would like to know, so we will clamp down on it.

Thailand needs to wake up!

In the meantime I'll go back to continue setting up more webshops :cowboy:

I also have several domains in Thai script registered, since they don't have a clue about that either.

For sure there are some of these domains that they will want badly when they realize it. :wink:

Edited by Cheops

4 hours ago, maewang99 said:

it's been wonderful to order almost any book you want and have it delivered by Amazon.  not too expensive given what we're talking about i.e. shipping to and into Thailand, to your door stop. Amazon boxes don't get opened at all by the local Thai postal service here. no tax online or when delivered. and Amazon has been eating some of the shipping maybe. 

it's been so cool.... so I stocked up. anything and everything I might ever want to read for many years to come.  and I read a lot. and not just books... shhh..... lately that's also worked very very well. and Amazon has been ****great**** if anything gets broken in shipment.... they refund in full and took my word for it, just an email.  if I weren't done ordering a lot of stuff already.... I probably wouldn't post that info!     

now they are going to put a tax. and the shipping may go up to. 

I say... order stuff from Amazon now. the Thai's will need more and more revenue sources. and quickly.

You used a word I really don't understand,  Refund, what's that?

If payments are generated on-line, does receiving payment in Thailand make sense ?  In Singapore and Hong Kong, overseas revenues are tax exempt, and Thai businesses have been setting up overseas for a long time now.  If the Thai Government were to engage in healthier, less gouging businesses practices, fewer companies would engage in tax avoidance measures.