Getting a USA credit report in thailand?

I get a credit score from two banks with which I deal but I haven't seen  my full report for a number of years.    I've executed a "credit freeze" on all my credit reporting  accounts and assume the pin number hasn't  changed over the years.

I'm still wondering about the mechanics of how to do this and wonder if anyone has dealt with it.      I have a store front address in the USA and my mail goes there.    If, however a credit report is sent there, chances are I won't know what it is when I request a paid scan to read the contents.   That means all my information would be open to  the person who  scans the mail.      I don't think I want that.

I have a score from Transunion as well as Equifux (sic?),  but I wonder about what's on the full report.    I have no issues with either score.

So has anyone ever received a credit report in Thailand  from Equifux (sic?), Transunion or  Esperian in the mail?    Cost and etc if possible.

Thanks..

Why get it by mail?  You can get a free credit reports online every 12 months under U.S. law from all three major credit reporting agencies. 

However, from Thailand you will need to make a U.S. VPN connection to access the www.annualcreditreport.com webpage that gives the free reports and talked about in below link describing the free reports.  Below link you can reach from Thailand without a VPN connection....the link below is just one of many, many links talking the free reports you can get every 12 months (do a google).

https://www.equifax.com/personal/education/credit/report/how-to-get-your-free-credit-report

Keep in mind there is a difference between the many websites that will offer a credit "score" for free or low cost (several of my banks do that...it's free...just another link in my ibanking) and getting a full credit report that shows a ton of info like credit cards, loans, addresses, etc. 

I tried to use one of the online credit report sites a  few months back and failed the "test questions" miserably.  Hubby and I have been here over 9 years, but prior to coming we had a nursery/greenhouse business that was a DBA, so everything was financed in my name and would show up on our credit report.  We financed numerous vehicles -- trucks, van, tractor, cars.  The mortgage for our house was something we arranged over the phone -- it seemed too easy at the time, and sure enough the institution was bought out by another institution and this seemed to happen every 12-16 months, where we'd receive a new set of payment coupons from some institution we'd never heard of.  

So, everything is very muddled in our minds now about who we had loans with, who held our mortgage and because of the length of time without any activity except our U.S. Visa card that we now pay off every month, all the test questions were about activity from the mid 1990s and before.  

We paid all the loans on time, the business had a large cash flow with many transactions (not huge profit, however) and we probably had a spotless credit rating, but what happens when you "go dark" for a number of years?

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Keep in mind there is a difference between the many websites that will offer a credit "score" for free or low cost (several of my banks do that...it's free...just another link in my ibanking) and getting a full credit report that shows a ton of info like credit cards, loans, addresses, etc. 

And make sure you understand credit report, versus credit score. The free credit report yearly thing is true, but that does NOT include the credit score. that costs a little extra.

And regarding credit "scores,"  as I mentioned earlier several of my banks offer a free credit score with some basic credit info like if any new accounts were opened recently, etc., but my credit score varies at each bank because each one is using a different credit score "model."   There are numerous credit score "models" offered by companies that sell credit score/reporting info....kinda like all  the different internet speed testers that give you different results.  

When it comes to credit scores all I really care about is that score in the upper region of what ever credit model is being used where a person's credit is considered excellent/outstanding.   

9 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

and I'm sure if you try a bit, with some tea money or cola money, in the USA, you coud bounce the odds in your favour?

To get a loan?  Mortgage fraud is pretty serious.  Non collateralized loans are a beast, even with great credit.  Even the Nigerian couple, who just bought my parent's house were 100% legit.  There are legitimate ways to boost your score....just make sure your report doesn't say you have any debts in collection.

1 minute ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

To get a loan?  Mortgage fraud is pretty serious.  Non collateralized loans are a beast, even with great credit.  Even the Nigerian couple, who just bought my parent's house were 100% legit.  There are legitimate ways to boost your score....just make sure your report doesn't say you have any debts in collection.

Oh sorry!!... was not aware that giving out tea money was a serious offence!...:cheesy:

One is not required to order all three credit reports at one time using the US government mandated free credit reports.  In other words, you can order a free one from Experian, then four months later one from TransUnion, then four months later one from Equifax, ad infinitum.  Basically, you can get a new one (from a different credit reporting agency) every four months.  You don't have to get all three at one time.

As earlier pointed out you do need to be using a VPN to appear to be accessing the free credit report site from the US.  

You will need to answer multiple choice questions regarding your credit history to confirm your identity.  Sometimes they credit reporting agencies will refuse to accept an online request for a free report and then you may have to resort to requesting one by mail.

Here's the one mandated by the federal government under FACTA (Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, not to be confused with FATCA):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnnualCreditReport.com

Here's a nice summary of the credit reports that are available for free.  Many of the sites do not require using a credit card to access the reports:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_credit_report_websites

OK, I was a little hurt that I couldn't pass the basic "test questions" to obtain a free credit report a few months ago, but exactly why do I even need a credit report or have a need to know my credit score?

Hubby and I have no plans to return to the U.S. for the immediate future.  We own no property in the U.S. -- after getting rid of way too much.

Would be good to know this if we ever decided to return to settle down for a nice quiet retirement life where no one from Immigration ever intimidated us?  Like if we wanted to rent an apartment in the U.S.?  Or maybe return and get a car with our trusty long-time credit union financing it, like they did many other vehicles in the past? ( over 15 years ago)  We still have a Visa card  with this credit union that we pay off every month and maintain pretty good account balances with them.

Plus, the nice ladies in the call center know me.

Is having a good credit score like having a high SAT or ACT?  What's the point?  Simply bragging rights for adults?

On 7/5/2017 at 8:36 PM, NancyL said:

OK, I was a little hurt that I couldn't pass the basic "test questions" to obtain a free credit report a few months ago, but exactly why do I even need a credit report or have a need to know my credit score?

Hubby and I have no plans to return to the U.S. for the immediate future.  We own no property in the U.S. -- after getting rid of way too much.

Would be good to know this if we ever decided to return to settle down for a nice quiet retirement life where no one from Immigration ever intimidated us?  Like if we wanted to rent an apartment in the U.S.?  Or maybe return and get a car with our trusty long-time credit union financing it, like they did many other vehicles in the past? ( over 15 years ago)  We still have a Visa card  with this credit union that we pay off every month and maintain pretty good account balances with them.

Is having a good credit score like having a high SAT or ACT?  What's the point?  Simply bragging rights for adults?

Great post Nancy L

Brings back memories..

A long time ago in a distant galaxy,  I used to travel to the Philippines and when I did I always notified Citibank  in  advance of a travel plan so my activity at the ATM would not be blocked.

At that time my first and sometimes subsequent ATM attempts  always failed and I was put through the ringer  of  security  questions.    No way I could answer all the finance questions, as with you , my house loan was  constantly traded off to another institution.      Naturally back then  it was all done at my cost so if my phone credit ran out, I faced doing the process again from the beginning.     Frustrating for sure..

Yeah,   the reality is  most things you may chose to do in the US such as renting a place will involve a credit report.   Your bank account balance and assets are meaningless compared to the credit reporting   companies' report.  

You have a question mark at the end of this quote.  Can you expound on that please?

"Would be good to know this if we ever decided to return to settle down for a nice quiet retirement life where no one from Immigration ever intimidated us?"

Again thanks to you and the many other posters for sharing information.

Edit.. I almost forgot, when it comes to financial institutions, that phrase "what have you done for me lately" comes fully  into play.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2017 at 6:36 AM, NancyL said:

Actually maintaining a good credit is actually quite important for the 'what if' case that you ever return. Try renting an apartment without a credit score, buying a car, just ain't gonna happen.

It's a sad but inconvenient truth about modern life. I'm curious why if you still have a credit card that doesn't show up. 

I haven't had a mortgage, car payment, for years. But keeping an active revolving credit coupled with a good past history should have left you in good shape. 

BoA gives me a free Credit Score every month, and periodically I do a full credit report which shows decades of history, plus my current meagre credit usage. All of that gives me a score in the 790-820 range. Why it changes month to month, when nothing in my life changes, baffles me!

On 8/16/2017 at 2:09 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Actually maintaining a good credit is actually quite important for the 'what if' case that you ever return. Try renting an apartment without a credit score, buying a car, just ain't gonna happen.

It's a sad but inconvenient truth about modern life. I'm curious why if you still have a credit card that doesn't show up. 

I haven't had a mortgage, car payment, for years. But keeping an active revolving credit coupled with a good past history should have left you in good shape. 

BoA gives me a free Credit Score every month, and periodically I do a full credit report which shows decades of history, plus my current meagre credit usage. All of that gives me a score in the 790-820 range. Why it changes month to month, when nothing in my life changes, baffles me!

Curiously I was just chatting to one of my daughters who has just rented a new apartment, and she told me that most reputable rental places require a credit score of at least 720 to rent to you. If you don't have it basically relegates you to a Stateside version of an Isaan tin shack.

Now this was in California, other markets may differ, but's a data point as to why it's important to maintain

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, Pib said:

Yes.  that annual free credit report does get you to the credit report but it does not show the credit score.  Getting the credit score costs a few $$.   Two of my credit card companies provide the credit score for free every month.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes.  that annual free credit report does get you to the credit report but it does not show the credit score.  Getting the credit score costs a few $$.   Two of my credit card companies provide the credit score for free every month.

creditkarma.com is another site that provides a free credit score.

Archived