90 days report - fined in the grace period?

Today my girlfriend went to Phuket immigration in Patong to do her 90 days report. She was there two days past the date on the slip and they told her that the computer says that she should be find 2000 thb, but the officer said they 'can help her by charging her only 1000 thb'...

Wasn't there a 7 days grace period for late 90 reporting? Was my gf just taken advantage of on the island which is supposed to be the shining example of successful struggle against corruption. 

If it is so then it's the first time for us in six years of living in Thailand. In fact I had exactly the opposite experience in the same immigration office - once I didn't get fined despite being late more than 7 days. 

8 hours ago, manonthemon said:

If it is so then it's the first time for us in six years of living in Thailand.

If she has lived here for 6 years, why didn't she mention the fact you are allowed to report up to 7 days late with no penalty?

used this facility once when I returned from up country to Pattaya a few days late went in expecting to show my flight

documents ect they did not want anything just looked at my passport and stapled the new chit in, but Jomtien immigration is very well

run for most things from when ever I have had to use them lately. 

Yeah right.... I shining example... of what? Phuket is well known amongst others, to be a swamp, a sesspool  when it comes to corruption amongst their officers... Or do you mean it has changed just recently...

Glegolo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phuket Man said:

You can report up to 15 days early and 7 days late.

Looks like your GF was ripped off.

That has now changed. 7 days before and 7 days after. Take a look at immigration website.

Where does it say you can report up to 7 days late WITH NO PENALTY? As I understand it you can report up to 7 days late and be fined, after 7 days it becomes more serious and you can then loose any visas etc.

3 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

Where does it say you can report up to 7 days late WITH NO PENALTY? As I understand it you can report up to 7 days late and be fined, after 7 days it becomes more serious and you can then loose any visas etc.

It says you can report up to 7 days after the report date. That certainly implies that there is no fine until after the 7 days. It never gets as serious as losing anything just the standard 2000 baht fine up to a max fine of 5000 baht. 

I had much the same experience on my last 90 day report. This was  in Sri Racha office Chonburi. Sri Racha staff have always been very polite and helpful for several years now towards me. A new civilian guy in a newly opened 90 day only office, told me I was over due and would have to pay 2000.  I said, "No. Look at your calendar. I landed on x date and 90 days was last Thursday.  This is Tuesday, three working days late and I am allowed up to 5 working days late.  We were up north last week and came back at the weekend."   He walked over to a uniformed officer and they played with my passport and a computer calendar and the uniformed officer said.  "You are late and it will cost you 1000.  The civilian guy said  "You owe 2000, I mean 1000 baht like I said."  I knew they were BS so I smiled and said "I am sorry but I am 2 days within the 5 day grace period and there is no fine owing."  I stepped forward towards the seated uniform guy as I said this and my body language made it quite clear I was not going to buckle.   He scowled at me and said "OK I will let you off this time but next time I will fine you 2000 baht if you are even one day over the 90 days."  I smiled politely and just possibly a trifle triumphantly at the Civvy guy and walked out.  They tried that on the wrong guy this time.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

looked at another way ... I was month late with letter of assurance from the hospital where I was hospitalized and told it would be fine at immigration with their nice letter. 

The letter was useless and I learned that in the case one is in hospital, one must still send the passport for the 90 day report. 

In my case the 2000 Baht fine reduced to 1,000 Baht was attractive and acceptable offer to learn this lesson. 

Yes they were trying to extract money.... I can only congatulate you that for six years they have not tried it on before. Your own experience may have been because the office is closed some of those 7 days you were overdue and credit was given.

Many officials here are corrupt....

The Patong office of Thai Immigration is notorious for ripoffs, this phony fine is just one of them. The main office at Saipan Hin is a very efficient and honest place, in due in large part to the volunteer fareng helpers. Fifteen years for me reporting there for various reasons and not one hassle or illicit money request.

45 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

I had much the same experience on my last 90 day report. This was  in Sri Racha office Chonburi. Sri Racha staff have always been very polite and helpful for several years now towards me. A new civilian guy in a newly opened 90 day only office, told me I was over due and would have to pay 2000.  I said, "No. Look at your calendar. I landed on x date and 90 days was last Thursday.  This is Tuesday, three working days late and I am allowed up to 5 working days late.  We were up north last week and came back at the weekend."   He walked over to a uniformed officer and they played with my passport and a computer calendar and the uniformed officer said.  "You are late and it will cost you 1000.  The civilian guy said  "You owe 2000, I mean 1000 baht like I said."  I knew they were BS so I smiled and said "I am sorry but I am 2 days within the 5 day grace period and there is no fine owing."  I stepped forward towards the seated uniform guy as I said this and my body language made it quite clear I was not going to buckle.   He scowled at me and said "OK I will let you off this time but next time I will fine you 2000 baht if you are even one day over the 90 days."  I smiled politely and just possibly a trifle triumphantly at the Civvy guy and walked out.  They tried that on the wrong guy this time.

There is no "working days " in a 90 day report period, it is a 90 day report weekends included, otherwise it

would not be 90 days would it?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

There is no "working days " in a 90 day report period, it is a 90 day report weekends included, otherwise it

would not be 90 days would it?

But there are 7 days allowed AFTER the 90 days (the previous Thursday) and they do not open at weekends.  Suit your self but I never said anything about working days during the 90 days?  OK?

5 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

But there are 7 days allowed AFTER the 90 days (the previous Thursday) and they do not open at weekends.  Suit your self but I never said anything about working days during the 90 days?  OK?

The seven days is everyday not just working days also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

This is Tuesday, three working days late and I am allowed up to 5 working days late.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I am sorry but I am 2 days within the 5 day grace period

I suppose if you apply a little logic to this, then it could be construed as being correct in that 5 working days, plus the weekend = 7 days :smile:

• Like 1

Looks like whenever dealing with the Police or Immigration, it could be useful to wear a discreet hidden body cam that records the whole issue...the footage would later be unconditionnal proof on making a complaint with the corrupt fellow's superiors in Bangkok......

Of course it won't radically change things, but on a lower lever these boys may get aware that they can be filmed anytime, anyplace, and may stop  the corruption scams at least on the street counter level...these mini body cams are all over the net...just pick up something real discreet and go for it!!

40 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Phuket was always good for such stunts, why people still go or live there?

Because it is a great place to live if you stay away from Patong. And the other plus is all you people who think it is a dump stay away and live in nice and hot Issan. 555

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

"This is Tuesday, three working days late and I am allowed up to 5 working days late."

This is a direct quote from your post Deerhunter.

16 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Does immigration in every area give a clear slip on 60 or 90 day reporting that clearly mentions when the next reporting is due?

There is no 60 day reporting. 

As far as I am aware all offices provide a receipt for 90 day reports.