Best (up to) 7 seat SUV/MPV?

I had my Pajero sport now for one year and its a great great car. You get full package for around 1.5 mill with lots of security included like  side detectors, front detectors with auto brake, fully airbag-ed etc. You should spend a few hours checking out this car.

Pink

If I understand you correctly space + decent 7 seater is important, then I would exclude any of the smaller cars. CRV, Xtrail, Mobilio etc. Even in a bigger SUV the space is limited if use seat 6+7. To be honest seat 6+7 in a SUV like fortuner/Everest are more meant for Children./Emergency seats. And if you use them, space for luggage is limited.

If you need to transport 7 people regularly, a van is better. I.e Toyota Alphard, Hyundai H1

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks Baerboxer I will look at the Mobillo too. Is the 1.5 a diesel or new petrol turbo?

Looking at the Innova it soes represent good value .. rear driven/ beefy engine shd be quite entertaining to drive 

Edited by Will E Vormer

19 minutes ago, Will E Vormer said:

Thanks Baerboxer I will look at the Mobillo too. Is the 1.5 a diesel or new petrol turbo?

Looking at the Innova it soes represent good value .. rear driven/ beefy engine shd be quite entertaining to drive 

It's the 1.5L from the jazz:) Sorry no diesel and certainly no civic turbo engine. It won't be fast by any measure. The innova would be nicer but more expensive.

I have 3 "seven" seater SUV's between here and the US.....

None of them will comfortably seat 7 normal sized adults.....Especially the 3rd row or jump seats....The method of exit & entry to the 3rd row - or jump seats, does not make for ease or graceful boarding .....Dexterity being the best hope.....

I have had up to eleven on occasions with a mix of children & adults.....I wasn't really comfortable with that many inside but they were....Plus, we don't live close enough to have it be a regular practice.....

When going as a group/family holiday I usually get most of the people (a/c -comfort) while the luggage/gear goes in the fil's truck..... I do have roof racks - plus a hitch receiver carrier & a 4 bike rack if push comes to shove for cargo/equipment/luggage ......I don't think a van is stout enough for these as an add but might make up for it with some inside space....

Depending on actual use a van would off more passenger comforts & ease of boarding....

Either that or buy a truck & put a Songtow back on it.....

I have a New Pajero Sport for 18 months now. Drove it on a four day trip around norther Thailand with six adult plus baggage and nobody complained. It is a great car to drive long distance, rolls a bit on steep corners plus some understeer but quite manageable. Price is reasonable and the service backup provided by Mitsubishi  in Chiangrai cannot be faulted. Main gripe is the map is useless. 

On ‎4‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, TommyTucker said:

Honda CRX is a 2 seater sports car

Honda CRV only has 5 x seats, not 7

Incorrect.   :sorry:  The newly released Honda CRV,2017, top of the range, can be fitted an extra two seats (7) but the luggage area, when in operation, is greatly reduced.  It also comes in a new diesel version with heaps of extras. Just like driving a luxury car only with the advantages of four wheel drive.  Also fits in the OP's price range of 1.8M.  Drove one the other day and in my opinion, is far superior to the common everyday vehicles that we see on the roads here.  Highly recommended.:wai:

Incorrect.   :sorry:  The newly released Honda CRV,2017, top of the range, can be fitted an extra two seats (7) but the luggage area, when in operation, is greatly reduced.  It also comes in a new diesel version with heaps of extras. Just like driving a luxury car only with the advantages of four wheel drive.  Also fits in the OP's price range of 1.8M.  Drove one the other day and in my opinion, is far superior to the common everyday vehicles that we see on the roads here.  Highly recommended.:wai:

They are nice cars and good to see they have a Diesel version now. Plenty of new tech features. You may like or not like the design. The back looks like a copy from a Volvo to be honest. In terms of size it is still quite small. I reckon best to use for 1-2 people. The CRV is definitely no option if you regularly need to transport 7 people.

1 hour ago, Robert24 said:

They are nice cars and good to see they have a Diesel version now. Plenty of new tech features. You may like or not like the design. The back looks like a copy from a Volvo to be honest. In terms of size it is still quite small. I reckon best to use for 1-2 people. The CRV is definitely no option if you regularly need to transport 7 people.

The price for the diesel version so I guess it depends on priorities - more space in an the pickup based suv or more comfort in a smaller one like the crv. The new subaru xv should be here by the end of the year also. The weak point is still the engine power though. But has symmetrical 4wd and good handling because of its low centre of gravity. 

Just now, Caps said:

in your infinate wisdom...why?

didnt like it, turbo diesel engine was gutless, pitched & rolled like an old Range Rover, build quality wasnt anywhere close to the Everest & the warranty period.

Nice colour options though

Just now, transam said:

The MU7 is the only SUV that is built on it's pickup brothers chassis including leaf springs....:sad:

explains the pitch & roll, felt more like navigating than driving....... expect to see the MU7 doing cartwheels and roof slides in the next Silly season...

If you're happy with second hand, I can recommend the Pajero Sport. Ours is a 2015 model (last of the old style - I personally don't like the new styling). Drive and comfort are great, servicing in our Krabi branch and a branch in Bangkok are superb. I had problems also with the GPS, but Mitsubishi changed it 3 times under warranty without quibble, now it seems ok, fingers crossed... Same comment with luggage space if you load 7 people, but with the back row flat there's lots of space.

On 5.7.2017 at 8:23 AM, RikDao said:

We own a very nice Toyota Avanza which seats 7. It's a small SUV, but not too small. 1.5 engine, automatic transmission.

I have a Avanza, too, and I am quite happy with it. But nowadays I would go for the Sienta. The Automatic is much better and the seats are easier to re-configure if you need a lot of storage.

7 hours ago, Robert24 said:

I have the 2013 model, a great vehicle and although not going to up date yet, the new model would ideally suit me and I quite like the design.  I was disappointed when I bought that they did not have the diesel version.  I agree with the regular carriage of 7 people, it is more suited for four or five people, one big farang and 4 smaller Thais.  With myself, however, there are only two in the family so it is ideal for my needs.

I would say the two extra seats are more suited to children.  I think the size is quite good, I don't want to drive a tank around with the lousy ride and turning circle, they are more like small trucks compared to the Honda. I still have the ability to travel off road, within reason, but I don't, and I like the pleasure of driving a SUV that has an excellent ride and a really good turning circle.

The other thing I find fantastic is that the tyres fitted have done 96,000 kilometres, I just changed the front but the rear still have about 30,000 to go before replacing.  The brakes (original pads) still have not been changed so all in all it has been quite an economical vehicle to own. :wai:

Thank you all for your thoughts. 

Just to explain the 7 seat situation. Really I need a max of 6 seats, very occasionally. If I cd get away with 5, the new CX5 shd be here late 2017..

Yes the CRV looks a good option- enough room (for thai's) with useful sliding/folding middle seats. Pretty sure it has vents for the 3rd row and diesel has a decent paddle shift ZF box (correct?)

Also considering a s/h BMW Grand Touring. These are starting to dip under 2M now. I might get lucky and find one at the right price.

I'm not sure if all your family members are adults or children.

If you want a car which can sits 6 adults comfortably for logn distance travel, a full size MPV is way to go. You can look for imported Toyota Alphard 2.4, a 5 year old model is around 1.5 mil Baht.

If only 2 adults and the rest children, any 5+2 seater SUVs or small MPVs will do. 

Maximum Inc me wd be 3 full size adults, 2 small adults and a baby. Admittedly a little tight but we'd rarely drive 6 up - these wd be urban trips within 10km. Also have to factor in its main use as a car and that wife and mother in law are confident to drive the size of vehicle, as they vetod the Everest.

pics of the rear of the CRV

BIMS2017_Honda_CR-V_Int-19.jpg

BIMS2017_Honda_CR-V_Int-18.jpg

BIMS2017_Honda_CR-V_Int-23.jpg

Edited by Will E Vormer