Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

snoop1130

One day, I may find it in my heart to forgive you for drinking Stella in Belgium.
Maybe after lots of Trappists.

The only time in my life I ever drank Stella was in Auckland, NZ, but that was only for the facebook pic.

I spent the first 22 years of my life in Leuven, the Stella Artois town.
I certainly drank my share of Stella although there were 15 breweries in Leuven during the fifties. I switched to gin tonic at UCL and Cuba Libre afterwards. I discovered a few hundred Belgian beers later in my life. Still indulge.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

People drink and drive. Police are corrupt. If police were less corrupt and did their jobs, there would be fewer deaths on the road from drunk driving. That's moral, saves lives and is pure common sense. Nothing to do with religion. 

You said before "If you don't wanna participate, don't". This rule should also apply to people who wanna go out and have a drink this weekend. They don't wanna participate in the lent so they won't. Oh, that's right. They don't have the choice because someone else said they must respect something. How very religious. 

Never said must, said should.  Sad state of affairs here.  Sad...

13 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Never said must, said should.  Sad state of affairs here.  Sad...

No, the government have said must. As is you 'mustn't' sell or buy alcohol over the weekend. For moral reasons apparently. You 'should' abstain from alcohol. No mention of corruption, mind. 

10 hours ago, tartempion said:

I spent the first 22 years of my life in Leuven, the Stella Artois town.
I certainly drank my share of Stella although there were 15 breweries in Leuven during the fifties. I switched to gin tonic at UCL and Cuba Libre afterwards. I discovered a few hundred Belgian beers later in my life. Still indulge.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was lucky enough to  be born in Limburg, then home of Christal Alken.

Later the brewery was taken over various times, by Kronenbourg, Maes, ...now independent again I think.

But the so typical very bitter pilsner that they used to brew is lost for ever, and replaced by a not too bitter, not too sweet, not too anything, tasteless liquid, - just like all the other Marketing style lagers of the world.

Santee, have a Blue Chimay!

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

9 pages now. Think I might win the bet.

?

Are you going to discount the (much more interesting) sub-topic of Belgian beers in your count?

Could they impose a noise ban too .Our 2 big Wats started blasting on Wednesday , Drunks soon fall over, Crash the Vehicles, die n fall silent, whilst those bloody speakers blast on till midnight.Waddlle up there with the old K9 @ 6 am and it desserted apart from about A Million empty Chang Beer Bottles and Few Sleeping Drunks .?[emoji481][emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Are you going to discount the (much more interesting) sub-topic of Belgian beers in your count?

Belgium?

Been there, once, well went through it at about 140kph on the way home from Germany. Didn't take that long. ?

They must be full on this time. First time our restaurant has been given a written warning not to sell grog from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday. All the nearby mom and pop shops got the same letter. Looks like a soda and lime weekend for me.:sad:

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Belgium?

Been there, once, well went through it at about 140kph on the way home from Germany. Didn't take that long. ?

You did not stop for a Trappist???

Was it on a christian-booze-ban weekend?

Frankly, stupid rules.
Drunks will drink regardless.
I drink one beer per week, as it comes.
I like a glass of wine but wine is not worth the money here, 500B for a Bottle of vinegar, no thanks.
Sad for restaurants who can't serve wine or beer those days.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

A quick phone and 30 minutes later A few boxes of beer and a couple of bottles Jack Daniels delivered by my local booze wholesaler joint.

Plenty of meat in the freezer and this 3 day weekend is going to be very relaxing beside my pool, swimming / BBQ'ing/ Boozing.... bring it on !!

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Was heading for Salisbury area for a few pints of Scrumpy.

Couldn't slow down.

??

If you're into fruit you could have tried Kriek or Framboise, but of course there is nothing wrong with bannok cider.

(I had to google scrumpy)

555. usual opinions on this subject. It's a bummer as its the lions v nzl tomorrow. would've been great atmosphere in some of the pubs. but as always you just have to work around these things. a mate has a decent sized office with a big flat screen on the wall on the 22nd floor of a building that will be shut tomorrow. having spoken with the building manager access has been granted. office has been stocked and what would have been a few sitting round watching at home is now nearly 30 mates of mates of different nationalities who can shout and get as pissed up as much as they like. game on!!

15 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

555. usual opinions on this subject. It's a bummer as its the lions v nzl tomorrow. would've been great atmosphere in some of the pubs. but as always you just have to work around these things. a mate has a decent sized office with a big flat screen on the wall on the 22nd floor of a building that will be shut tomorrow. having spoken with the building manager access has been granted. office has been stocked and what would have been a few sitting round watching at home is now nearly 30 mates of mates of different nationalities who can shout and get as pissed up as much as they like. game on!!

God-sees.jpg.4e1d0ae115c1dde6e11ba8cb5a03a7e8.jpg

buddha-eyes-1.gif

Edited by oldhippy
his eyes

I find it sad and strange that there is not a shred of respect for one of the most important Buddhists holidays in Thailand.  Rather mockery and distain.  When I see the posts though it's not hard to figure the mindsets, unfortunate.  Simply unfortunate. IMHO.

After centuries of religious wars, hypocrisy, power games, most Europeans have finally shed off their chains.

Only to witness the replay of all that, in Europe and as expats in Thailand.

There was a time when I believed the world would always move forward.

1 minute ago, Puwa said:

Maybe, but someone should try to hide his mascara

Why? Mocking Buddha is ignorant and offensive.  What good comes from it.  Many of the older generation still take Buddhism to heart. Or at least they try.  I try to on a daily basis.  

If you don't have something nice to say why not say anything.  IMHO it's rude and close minded.  Sad to see it constantly going on here.  Pity really and a strong statement on the mentality of many here.  :sad: