Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I find it sad and strange that there is not a shred of respect for one of the most important Buddhists holidays in Thailand.  Rather mockery and distain.  When I see the posts though it's not hard to figure the mindsets, unfortunate.  Simply unfortunate. IMHO.

No one is disrespecting it but the simple fact of the matter is that not everyone in Thailand is Buddhist, including Thais. Nor is it about being able to order an alcoholic beverage, that is merely the context. The crux of the matter is that it is totally unreasonable to force others who do not adhere to a particular faith/ideology to be dictated to by that faith/ideology.  It is a matter of principal.  Would it, for example be fair to force people to take part in Songkran if they didn't want to?  During Ramadan do Muslims in the South complain that non-Muslim Thais are not fasting? 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Why? Mocking Buddha is ignorant and offensive.  What good comes from it.  Many of the older generation still take Buddhism to heart. Or at least they try.  I try to on a daily basis.  

If you don't have something nice to say why not say anything.  IMHO it's rude and close minded.  Sad to see it constantly going on here.  Pity really and a strong statement on the mentality of many here.  :sad:

The only closed-minded comments I've seen here are from you.  There is nothing ignorant or offensive about being able to make a joke about a religious figure, be it Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad etc.  Are or you of the mindset of the Charlie Hebdo killers?

13 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Why? Mocking Buddha is ignorant and offensive.  What good comes from it.  Many of the older generation still take Buddhism to heart. Or at least they try.  I try to on a daily basis.  

If you don't have something nice to say why not say anything.  IMHO it's rude and close minded.  Sad to see it constantly going on here.  Pity really and a strong statement on the mentality of many here.  :sad:

You didn't day anything about the Buddha. Instead, you mentioned god, along with an ominous warning that he sees everything, the standard scare tactic used in monotheistic religions to keep people from wondering about theodicy. Oh and that graphic is a popularization of an image a Shaivite iconography-- it has nothing to do with Buddhism. So my remark was intended not as an insult to that particular imaginary being, but to the logic of your effort to put the fear of god into others. Understand now?

Anyway, WHO decided to have this booze ban?

Was it the Thai buddhist community that after contemplating and discussing the subject of disattachment,  reached this conclusion?

Or was it a bunch of corrupt, power crazy bobo's that decided ?

16 minutes ago, Puwa said:

You didn't day anything about the Buddha. Instead, you mentioned god, along with an ominous warning that he sees everything, the standard scare tactic used in monotheistic religions to keep people from wondering about theodicy. Oh and that graphic is a popularization of an image a Shaivite iconography-- it has nothing to do with Buddhism. So my remark was intended not as an insult to that particular imaginary being, but to the logic of your effort to put the fear of god into others. Understand now?

I didn't post that picture.

28 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

The only closed-minded comments I've seen here are from you.  There is nothing ignorant or offensive about being able to make a joke about a religious figure, be it Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad etc.  Are or you of the mindset of the Charlie Hebdo killers?

Not at all.  And it really doesn't effect me outside of seeing the animalist state that is being demonstrated here.  I was raised to be respectful.

16 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Anyway, WHO decided to have this booze ban?

Was it the Thai buddhist community that after contemplating and discussing the subject of disattachment,  reached this conclusion?

Or was it a bunch of corrupt, power crazy bobo's that decided ?

Originally it was tradition to abstain on special days to have a clearer mind and stronger body.  Many faiths do the same.  The corrupt crazy bobos that enforce it today are just that.  We've got plenty of them right here on TV.  More than out fair share.  I post rarely these days.  It always winds up the same.  Not pleasurable.

19 hours ago, Mister T said:

They must be full on this time. First time our restaurant has been given a written warning not to sell grog from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday. All the nearby mom and pop shops got the same letter. Looks like a soda and lime weekend for me.:sad:

Mister T you should come out to Wakor we are much more enlightened here evidently,as a can be seen by more people than usual  sitting outside the beer shops than normal on these Buddhist days ( damn refugees from PKK i suppose)

17 hours ago, oldhippy said:

If you're into fruit you could have tried Kriek or Framboise, but of course there is nothing wrong with bannok cider.

(I had to google scrumpy)

After 3 pints of it I'd lay a bet you couldn't spell google. Especially the local stuff sold in Shrewton.

????

Edited by overherebc

32 minutes ago, poohy said:

more people than usual  sitting outside the beer shops than normal on these Buddhist days ( damn refugees from PKK i suppose)

I did wave mate but your bottle was upended.

On 04/07/2017 at 6:45 PM, InMyShadow said:

Why not just ban booze for the whole 3 months.. It's going to happen eventually

I'd strongly support a a total booze ban, 3 months a year.

Remember alcohol is just as, if not more, damaging than other drugs, which consumption is illegal. 

22 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Remember alcohol is just as, if not more, damaging than other drugs, which consumption is illegal. 

Yep but read my "signature" below.  I like a drink once in a while.  Rarely in excess.  Alcohol abuse is causing a major health care crisis internationally.  I like your idea about a 3 month.  It woulds separate the "men from the boys"  Or at least the addicts from the non addicts. To restrict it over the Buddhist Holiday in a Buddhist country, only good can come from it.

I have plenty of acquaintances that are hard core "alkies"  or very heavy drinkers.  Is the result ever good?  No.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/853128

Buddhism recommends abstinence. 

"

The high comorbidity between heavy drinkers and mental illness is well documented."

Edited by joeyg

10 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Yep but read my "signature" below.  I like a drink once in a while.  Rarely in excess.  Alcohol abuse is causing a major health care crisis internationally.  I like your idea about a 3 month.  It woulds separate the "men from the boys"  Or at least the addicts from the non addicts. To restrict it over the Buddhist Holiday in a Buddhist country, only good can come from it.

I have plenty of acquaintances that are hard core "alkies"  or very heavy drinkers.  Is the result ever good?  No.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/853128

Buddhism recommends abstinence. 

"

The high comorbidity between heavy drinkers and mental illness is well documented."

Why do you keep referring to Thailand as a Buddhist country when not everyone in Thailand is Buddhist.  Basically what your saying is that all non-Buddhists must be forced follow Buddhist practices... I don't the Lord Buddha would agree with your sentiments.

7 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Why do you keep referring to Thailand as a Buddhist country when not everyone in Thailand is Buddhist.  Basically what your saying is that all non-Buddhists must be forced follow Buddhist practices... I don't the Lord Buddha would agree with your sentiments.

Actually Buddha requested that people not take intoxication.  So wrong 100%.  Your grasping at straws.  Sad really.  Thailand is 93% Buddhist wrong again.  God this is such a waste of time.  Only gets worse and worse.

Religion in Thailand (Pew 2010)[4]

Buddhism (93%)
  Islam (5.8%)
  Christianity (0.9%)
  Non religious (0.3%)

According to the latest (year 2000) official religious demographics figures, 93% of Thais are Buddhists of the Theravada tradition.

A post flaming another member and a reply to it have been removed.

Please read the forum rules covering this and any further comments like the one removed will most certainly win the poster a holiday.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

28 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Actually Buddha requested that people not take intoxication.  So wrong 100%.  Your grasping at straws.  Sad really.  Thailand is 93% Buddhist wrong again.  God this is such a waste of time.  Only gets worse and worse.

Religion in Thailand (Pew 2010)[4]

Buddhism (93%)
  Islam (5.8%)
  Christianity (0.9%)
  Non religious (0.3%)

According to the latest (year 2000) official religious demographics figures, 93% of Thais are Buddhists of the Theravada tradition.

Buddha also told people not take what he said as truth until they questioned in themselves and reached their own conclusion. So by posting these stats you are suggesting that because non-Buddhists are the minority they should have Buddhist traditions imposed on them by the majority?  And this is coming from a self-proclaimed Buddhist!

1 hour ago, Momofarang said:

Did you stop to consider for one moment that in banning restaurants/bars to generate revenue through the sale of alcoholic beverages for a quarter of every year would cause the closure of those establishments?  Did you stop to consider for one moment the effect this would have on tourism, one of Thailand's chief sources income, and which supports the livelihoods of millions of Thai people (including Buddhists) who depend on tourism to make a living, and who would be devastated by such a law?  How many hotels do think would still be able to open their doors after a couple of years of this? Either you didn't stop to consider this, or you did but don't care about the well-being of others, only your own. Your views and those of joeyg reflect just how utterly selfish you both are.  I applaud all the TV members in this thread who have stood up and responded to this utter selfish drivel.  Cheers fellas!

Edited by stephen tracy

3 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Buddha also told people not take what he said as truth until they questioned in themselves and reached their own conclusion. So by posting these stats you are suggesting that because non-Buddhists are the minority they should have Buddhist traditions imposed on them by the majority?  And this is coming from a self-proclaimed Buddhist!

Correction aspiring Bhuddist.  In conclusion there are other mandates laws of Thailand that cannot be mentioned here.  That YOU WILL FOLLOW or suffer the consequences.  Regardless of what minority or school of thought you include your self in.  YOU WILL FOLLOW THEM. PERIOD.  Try to violate those mandates and public and watch the result.  You know exactly what I'm talking about.  My takeaway from all this is disrespectful and crude the lack of regard for Thailand and it's laws and culture are in many here.  I just think it's unfortunate.  Ever here, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."  Sad really...

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Did you stop to consider for one moment that in banning restaurants/bars to generate revenue through the sale of alcoholic beverages for a quarter of every year would cause the closure of those establishments?  Did you stop to consider for one moment the effect this would have on tourism, one of Thailand's chief sources income, and which supports the livelihoods of millions of Thai people (including Buddhists) whose livelihoods are dependent on tourism, and which would be devastated by such a law?  Either you didn't, or you did but don't care about the well-being of others, only your own.  Your views and those of joeyg reflect just how utterly selfish you both are.  I applaud all the TV members in this thread who have stood up and responded to this utter selfish drivel.  Cheers fellas!

I have many friends that own bars and restaurants here since 1971.  No one likes the booze ban but they always get through it.  Of course for those that must drink they always find a way. 

"Your views and those of joeyg reflect just how utterly selfish you both are. "  That's an opinion.  You know what they say about opinions.  Do you want to hear mine about you?  Don't think so.

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Correction aspiring Bhuddist.  In conclusion there are other mandates laws of Thailand that cannot be mentioned here.  That YOU WILL FOLLOW or suffer the consequences.  Regardless of what minority or school of thought you include your self in.  YOU WILL FOLLOW THEM. PERIOD.  Try to violate those mandates and public and watch the result.  You know exactly what I'm talking about.  My takeaway from all this is disrespectful and crude the lack of regard for Thailand and it's laws and culture are in many here.  I just think it's unfortunate.  Ever here, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."  Sad really...

Even most Thais would hoots of derisive mirth are your sanctimonious notions.  Thais are some of the most tolerant people I've come across.  And with regards to endorsing a annual 3-month ban, see my latest response Momofarang

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

I have many friends that own bars and restaurants here since 1971.  No one likes the booze ban but they always get through it.  Of course for those that must drink they always find a way. 

"Your views and those of joeyg reflect just how utterly selfish you both are. "  That's an opinion.  You know what they say about opinions.  Do you want to hear mine about you?  Don't think so.

No bar, restaurant or hotel would ever survive an annual 3-month alcohol ban. In terms of tourism, a major part of the economy, Thailand would go out of business. It would be devastating to the economy but as long as your oh so very altruistic  - and not selfish at all - sensibilities are not offended, that ok I guess. 

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

No bar, restaurant or hotel would ever survive an annual 3-month alcohol ban. In terms of tourism, a major part of the economy, Thailand would go out of business. It would be devastating to the economy but as long as your oh so very altruistic  - and not selfish at all - sensibilities are not offended, that ok I guess. 

Please stop it.  It's actually embarrassing. One request take a good long look in the mirror before you judge or continue to call me names.  Please stop it, " sanctimonious,  oh so very altruistic,  selfish, self-proclaimed Buddhist" etc,etc.  Please stop calling me names.  it's childish and foolish.  Some people are simply unfortunate.  Now what did you see?

24 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Ever here, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."

No way,  I would never condone christians being eaten by the lions. No matter how I despise christianity and religion in general, it would be against my beliefs to have them eaten.

And I would never vote for Berlusconi or the pope.

For that senator with the teddy bear, yes, that's different. I would.

La Cicciolina.

Edited by oldhippy
added never - I guess freudian to forget that

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Ever here, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."

No way,  I would never condone christians being eaten by the lions. No matter how I despise christianity and religion in general, it would be against my beliefs to have them eaten.

And I would never vote for Berlusconi or the pope.

For that senator with the teddy bear, yes, that's different. I would.

La Cicciolina.

Thanks I needed a laugh.  This thread needed a shot of humor.  "Eaten by lions"  Gotta love it.    Try and not follow the "Big Mandate" here in public.  Your opinions will not keep you out of jail and you will probably getting a good, well deserve beating to boot.  You may not condone it.  You will however receive it.  Try it...

29 minutes ago, idman said:

Simply go to a reputable Hotel here in Chiang Mai and partake in alcoholic consumption to your hearts content as the they are exempt from the booze ban.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Interesting, Apparently hotels in BKK have been told no booze sales. I wonder why ChaingMai is different ?