Eight injured as Bangkok bound tour bus collides with 18 wheel container truck in Kanchanaburi

webfact

Eight injured as Bangkok bound tour bus collides with 18 wheel container truck in Kanchanaburi

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

KANCHANABURI: -- Eight people were hurt - including a bus driver who was in a serious condition - after a tour bus heading from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok hit a large truck yesterday evening.

Witnesses said that the truck pulled out of a soi in Maka district into the path of the bus that could not stop in time.

The driver of the bus had both legs trapped and it took foundation staff from Miracle Offline an hour to cut him free.

Also injured was the conductress and six other passengers who were sitting in the forward area of the bus.

All the victims were taken to Makarak Hospital.

Thai Rath reported that the truck belonged to B and K Co Ltd.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-05

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

The lorry driver was at fault unless the  company can offer the police 10,000 to determine the bus was speeding.

I don't think there's much doubt that the bus would have been speeding, allegedly.

Really need to change the definition of flashing lights...should be a communication method allowing the other driver to proceed...

currently anyone flashing is a dick...accomplishes nothing...when a car is coming in the opposite direction I will assume he will continue in that direction...flashing lights does not deter anyone to change their mind...I make the u-turn decision based on speed of other vehicle...flashing lights have no bearing on my decision making...my mind is already made up before flashing whether to stop or go 

thais just don't understand flashing on how they do it now serves no benefit...

Edited by cardinalblue

Why are they called tour buses. Goes from BKK - Kan - BKK every 20 minutes. Thought they were a public bus?

I have been on a few and would say that i have always felt safe and the drivers keep to a safe speed, unlike the Mini-bus drivers. :1zgarz5: (Or are they Mini-vans?) 

8 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Really need to change the definition of flashing lights...should be a communication method allowing the other driver to proceed...

currently anyone flashing is a dick...accomplishes nothing...when a car is coming in the opposite direction I will assume he will continue in that direction...flashing lights does not deter anyone to change their mind...I make the u-turn decision based on speed of other vehicle...flashing lights have no bearing on my decision making...my mind is already made up before flashing whether to stop or go 

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make you right. Other vehicles aren't interested in your decision making as they are flashing and speeding up. You can continue your current behaviour but one day you may become another statistic. All the while screaming i know better as you are taken to hospital or worse, to that big place in the sky.

9 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Flashing lights in Thailand is a 'show of intent'...  ignore it at your peril. 

Its also useful in busy traffic - sometimes drivers in queuing traffic are so disinterested in driving their mind is elsewhere, especially at box junctions (with the yellow box lines) where they are not supposed to stop. Most of the time drivers in Thailand do stop on the box junction which blocks your way. Flashing your lights reminds them of their obligation to give way, its surprising how often it works !

There are few total a-holes driving in Thailand, but there are many who are simply uneducated on the roads and have simply learned their driving by copying everyone else - Flashing the lights is on of those things... Agree with it or not, its here and its being used - Flashing your lights as a warning is also part of the *Highway Code in the UK

In the UK people flash their lights to yield to others which they are not supposed to do, driving culture has adapted this polite way of doing things, many would agree for the better.

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Flashing lights in Thailand is a 'show of intent'...  ignore it at your peril. 

Someone flashes their lights at me with that 'show of intent', I flash them as well, doesn't always work but if I hit them they have been warned back :wink:

The truck driver is at fault for not having another person who would be a guide to help him safely get onto the road from the soi. Of course this is Thailand and no rule like that for trucks in that country, actually

it seems that there are not many good rules being enforced. Slackards All...

Geezer

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Once again the flashing of headlights in one vehicle fails to automatically trigger the brakes in other vehicles. They really need to get those remote headlight brake actuators tested.

The truck didn't have it's lights on! He planned to turn them on but then the bus hit him!

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Flashing your lights in UK means 'I am here' it does not signal intent of any kind.

Wrong, at least for the area of the Uk I was born in, plus another area I lived in for several years

Thoses areas being East Anglia and South Yorkshire

In those two areas flashing your lights to another vehicle was an invitation to proceed as I had given way, notwithstanding who had the legal right of way

This had no legal standing, so if you engaged in it during your driving test it was a automatic failure, but then I am going back many years

The horn was used to help unobservant or over ambitions road users become aware of your presence 

3 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Wrong, at least for the area of the Uk I was born in, plus another area I lived in for several years

In those two areas flashing your lights to another vehicle was an invitation to proceed as I had given way, notwithstanding who had the legal right of way

This had no legal standing, so if you engaged in it during your driving test it was a automatic failure, but then I am going back many years

The horn was used to help unobservant or over ambitions road users become aware of your presence 

I see what you're saying, but, if both interpret the wrong way and drive into each other??????

That's why it is discouraged and is now taken as an 'I am here indication' or do you see me signal.

4 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Yep.. It also contradicts what is written in the Highway Code where it states that flashing your lights is only used to let others know you are there).... This adapted (polite) system of flashing to give way to others is not the correct way to drive regardless of the fact that a nation has adopted this polite signal within in driving culture, it could lead to accidents..... That said, I still like the more polite way rather than the flook-you method... 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I see what you're saying, but, if both interpret the wrong way and drive into each other??????

That's why it is discouraged and is now taken as an 'I am here indication' or do you see me signal.

OK, in that case progress has left me behind not for the first time I might add, as its been some while since I drove in the UK

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep.. It also contradicts what is written in the Highway Code where it states that flashing your lights is only used to let others know you are there).... This adapted (polite) system of flashing to give way to others is not the correct way to drive regardless of the fact that a nation has adopted this polite signal within in driving culture, it could lead to accidents..... That said, I still like the more polite way rather than the flook-you method... 

Yes it was just an understanding between drivers

With the influx of drivers used to other styles / regimes probably a good idea not to rely on it

Or even use it

flashing headlights in Thailand mean I am not going to stop/let me pass first or I am going to use your side of the road so get out of my way. These drivers tend to get very pissed off when you return the flash and keep driving which is what I usually do. Most of the time it is simply because they do not want to have to slow down or be caught behind a slow vehicle, impatience and arrogance are a big part of it

17 hours ago, seajae said:

flashing headlights in Thailand mean I am not going to stop/let me pass first or I am going to use your side of the road so get out of my way. These drivers tend to get very pissed off when you return the flash and keep driving which is what I usually do. Most of the time it is simply because they do not want to have to slow down or be caught behind a slow vehicle, impatience and arrogance are a big part of it

Correct , when I see a minibus pull out along the highway coming towards me then the lights flash " Move over I am coming " I flash my lights to say " My half the road and I am not slowing down , pulling over , I am staying my course "

On Wednesday, July 05, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Boycie said:

Why are they called tour buses. Goes from BKK - Kan - BKK every 20 minutes. Thought they were a public bus?

I have been on a few and would say that i have always felt safe and the drivers keep to a safe speed, unlike the Mini-bus drivers. :1zgarz5: (Or are they Mini-vans?)

Minibus , buses have windows in the sides , trucks ,minivans have only steel in the sides. Unless you are from Australia.