A heads up for Non G-8 Passport holders going through Mukdahan Immigration

Just got back from Savannakhet with my new multi non O based on marriage. Now I have an Israeli passport and from what several border visa run agencies told me in the past that going to any land crossing with a non G-8 passport these days exiting or entering Thailand is risky as I will encounter problems at the border. I didn’t have the funds to fly and since I only live in Kalasin which is couple of hours to the Mukdahan - Loas border, I took a chance. Departing Thailand wasn't to bad. First thing the IO says to me is you go Laos for Thai Visa. I said yes and she took photocopies of my front passport page and and all previous visa pages. She asked if I have proof of address in Thailand. Luckily I had a copy of an old rental agreement with my name and passport number on it. She took a photo copy of it, stamped my passport and said you can go to Laos now.

Get to Laos border no problem visa $30. Into Laos got straight to Thai Consulate, handed all documents for Non O based on marriage. Man at the window glanced through the documents quickly, showed him my original marriage and sons birth certificate. He said single or multi entry, I said multi entry 5,000bht and pick up next day. (No 200,000bht asked). Next day 2: pm pick up passport head back to the border.

Going through Mukdahin immigration coming into Thailand, the IO told me to wait as she told her supervisor, Israel passport. I’m like here we go. I said whats the problem as I have a valid visa to enter Thailand. She said just have to take copies of your passport and visa. Followed the head honcho to the immigration office. He makes me right down my email, phone number asked to wright my address in Thailand where I stay with my wife. I couldn’t remember my house number. He says call your wife. Tried ringing the wife, no answer, he asked me if I had a copy of my Thai wife’s ID card. I said no as I only had one copy which I gave to the Thai consulate in Savannakhet. He then asked me if I had any proof that Im married to my wife as I guess showing him that I have a ‘Non O visa based on marriage’ is not good enough???.

Luckily I had my original marriage and son’s birth certificate on me, I showed him both and he said perfect with a big smile on his face. He looked at the marriage certificate wanting to see my wife’s name. Took a photo copy of my son’s birth certificate, said thank you and you can go now. Im sure if I had an American, Canadian, British, Australian passport I wouldn’t need to go through all these extra hoops.

So just heads up to anyone without a G-8 passport coming into Thailand through Mukdahan immigration to have extra copies of your Thai wife’s ID card, proof of address as you might be asked to show immigration.

Edited by yan2016
spelling
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Maybe Thai consulate in Lao has been issuing non-o based on marriage visas to people who do not have all the paperwork, in exchange for a big fat brown envelope.

Does the Non-O visa say what it was for?  This issue came up in the case of a person questioned entering at an airport with a non-o based on marriage. 

I think this is simply a national-security issue.  Notice how IOs tend to look at every used-page of your passport when you enter?  They are likely scanning not only for detail about your Thai visas, but also for entries to 'countries of interest.'  Complete passport histories scanned on every entry to Thailand would be a prudent step (including G8s) - especially for longer/frequent stayers.  It would be well worth the extra manpower to have that info on-hand for Thai security-services databases, to combat international orgs with mal-intents. 

Edited by JackThompson

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Does the Non-O visa say what it was for?  This issue came up in the case of a person questioned entering at an airport with a non-o based on marriage. 

I think this is simply a national-security issue.  Notice how IOs tend to look at every used-page of your passport when you enter?  They are likely scanning not only for detail about your Thai visas, but also for entries to 'countries of interest.'  Complete passport histories scanned on every entry to Thailand would be a prudent step (including G8s) - especially for longer/frequent stayers.  It would be well worth the extra manpower to have that info on-hand for Thai security-services databases, to combat international orgs with mal-intents. 

Your idea is good....but many high level criminals, with ill intents always manage to slip through the screening either with "virgin" passports having no compromising travel history, forged documents or would plainly refrain in using an international airport to enter their target country....ultimately it's the commoners who suffer with the [necessary] hassles at immigration...

On 7/5/2017 at 3:39 PM, yan2016 said:

So just heads up to anyone without a G-8 passport coming into Thailand through Mukdahan immigration to have extra copies of your Thai wife’s ID card, proof of address as you might be asked to show immigration.

I doubt very much that this was due to your not being from a G8 country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

I doubt very much that this was due to your not being from a G8 country.

Then please explain what other reason would it be???...... as the other guys with the Australian, British and American passports in line with me who had the same Non O visa based on marriage as I all went straight through immigration with no problem and I was detained for questioning. Why is it when it was my turn in line the first thing the IO said to her supervisor Israel passport as yes I very much believe that it did have to do with having a non G8 passport.

12 minutes ago, yan2016 said:

Then please explain what other reason would it be???...... as the other guys with the Australian, British and American passports in line with me who had the same Non O visa based on marriage as I all went straight through immigration with no problem and I was detained for questioning. Why is it when it was my turn in line the first thing the IO said to her supervisor Israel passport as yes I very much believe that it did have to do with having a non G8 passport.

Australia is not a G7  (G8 does not exist anymore) country.

There may be certain countries that they check to be sure the marriage was legit. Many topics about arranged marriages in the news.

4 hours ago, yan2016 said:

There are 196 countries in the world, which leaves 188 that are not part of the G8 group, and there are many people from many of these countries entering Thailand every day at many immigration points. The law of total probability does not allow for the conclusion that because one person from one of the non-G8 countries is subjected to special scrutiny at one immigration point, this is happening or will happen to all persons from all non-G8 countries at all immigration points.

• Like 1