Authorities fire back over Koh Tao ‘Death Island’ label

rooster59

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DiscoDan said:

Yes plenty of evidence out their of the people who have been manipulating the victims family for their own agenda and attacking the ones that don't go along with it.

Indeed there is and I can think of at least one who has been manipulating the Miller family of late :whistling:

2 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

Indeed there is and I can think of at least one who has been manipulating the Miller family of late :whistling:

Yes you only have to go and look on her Facebook page and see who has commented on there. 

20 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

Yes you only have to go and look on her Facebook page and see who has commented on there. 

I said at least one, in fact there has been more than one (well at least 3 that I know of). Or more, given that one of them has multiple online identities.

51 minutes ago, Penicillin said:

It's a bit difficult to understand what he is saying with the background noise.  It would be nice if someone could summarize it . 

In footage filmed inside a Thai bus, Sean McAnna of Shott, Lanarkshire, told the reporter he was a “bit drunk” on the party island before he was interrogated and threatened by three men.

“Then they just said to me, ‘It was you who killed them. You’ve got two peoples’ deaths in your hands. We know it was you. You’re going to hang yourself tonight and we’re going to watch you hang. You will die tonight.’

“So I just ran. I just left,” he said.

Mr McAnna said he believed the Thai mafia needed him as a “scapegoat” and wanted the murder to be a “westerner”.

The then-25-year-old backpacker said he genuinely thought he was going to die and called his mother and sister to say his goodbyes.

“I told her that I loved her and I would try to make it home,” Mr McAnna said about a phone call with his mother.

Source: Thailand’s ‘death island’: tourist deaths prompt police corruption concerns (08th July, 2017)

:smile:

2 hours ago, IslandLover said:

According to the Koh Tao Rescue spokesperson, Steven Drylie, M. Louet died of a blood disorder.  It was reported that he had suffered an injury at some point, so it may have been sepsis, but who really knows?

This is, and I stress, only hearsay, but I heard that Jeff Louet had been drinking in the bar that David and Hannah were last seen alive in, on the night they died, and had been talking about going to the police about what he knew.

2 hours ago, IslandLover said:
9 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Just my own hunches on the cases based on publicly availably available information which is incomplete on many key points.

Nick Pearson - Most probably murdered.  The explanation of suicide seems to stretch credulity too far.

David and Hannah - It is certainly not impossible they were murdered by 2B but the evidence against them is only circumstantial and forensic. The forensic evidence lacked credibility in the way it was compiled by police pathologists, was not verified by an independent pathologist and would without doubt have been thrown out by any Western court.  Important forensic evidence, such as Hannah's clothing and the blond hair she was found clutching in death were discarded without explanation.  The way the 2B were not accorded Thailand's equivalent of Miranda rights when they were arrested and the mode of interrogation and lack of qualified translator would have resulted in prosecutors not even taking the case to court in the West.  With all due respect to the court, it seems hard to rule out the possibility that David and Hannah were murdered by persons unknown.    

Dimitri Povese - Although doubts remain, it seems quite possible that he did hang himself.  It is unusual for suicides to tie their own hands before suspending themselves but it is not entirely unknown by Western pathologists and is explained by a desire to prevent themselves from changing their minds.  However, this aspect does make his death somewhat more suspicious.

Christina Annesley - Death by misadventure seems entirely possible in this case.  In her FB page she referred to taking Tramadol, a synthetic opioid pain killer that is or was at that time available in Thai pharmacies without restrictions.   It is a prescription drug only in the UK, so it was likely that Christina was experimenting with this with drug for the first time and was not fully aware of the potential side effects and risks related to this drug. Like all natural and synthetic opiods Tramadol can severely depress the central nervous system leading to death, particularly if mixed with alcohol.  Anyone who has taken Tramadol can attest to the shallow breathing that even a normal dose can induce.  

Luke Miller - The British coroner was convinced of the Thai police report of death by misadventure.  The circumstances surrounding his death do seem somewhat suspicious but he reportedly had a high blood alcohol count in his body and traces of ritanol.  Death by drowning is several times more likely when an intoxicated person falls into a swimming pool, as the natural reaction to expel water from the lungs is suppressed, potentially resulting rapidly in death.

Valentina Novozhyonova - No information available.

Elise Dellamagne - There is not much information on this death but it does seem highly suspicious.  Western pathologists attest to the fact that it is relatively rare for women to hang themselves and virtually unknown for them to seek out a deserted spot in a forest or jungle to hang themselves. They are far more likely to kill themselves in the comfort of their home or a hotel room.  On the other hand, a quiet spot in the jungle would be perfect for a murder by hanging or staged suicide of someone murdered elsewhere.  Unlike the Hannah and David case, police have been careful not to leak photographs of the death scene but reports of the body being found on a rock wrapped in tee shirts sound bizarre.  She had only been dead for a few days when her body was discovered which means there was not enough time for the body to decompose that it would have fallen down from the suspended position. There has been no adequate explanation of her movements and actions in the days prior to death, including why did she leave the ferry at Koh Tao, why did she check in under a fake name, etc.  Also there seems to have been little or no attempt to track her final movements through CCTV footage and exhaustively interviewing people who might have seen her.   As is usual in Thailand the forensic examination was only carried out by police with no autopsy by an independent pathologist.  Elise's mother opted for local cremation, rather than sending the body back to Belgium where it could have been examined by a pathologist according to Western standards.      

The UK Coroner actually recorded an "Open" verdict on Luke Miller, meaning there was insufficient evidence to know how he met his death.

Ms Sumeray said: "I can only record a conclusion based on the evidence before me, I cannot speculate about what may have happened."

So Caroline Sumeray based her conclusion on the report provided by the Koh Tao police (and still recorded an open verdict, contrary to the Koh Tao police 'misadventure' conclusion). Oh dear. It's easy to understand Caroline Sumeray's pov though: She's a British coroner who associates police with honesty and integrity.

Hi

I've just read most of the posts in this thread. I am visiting Thailand for 2 week, from the end of August till September, and I am planning my itinerary right now. 

After reading this thread I am not sure about visiting Ko Samui. Is it safe to visit right now ? I want to visit purely just for relaxing purposes such as sights, beaches not partying/drugs etc.

I'd really appreciate some insight on the situation or some tips where to go/ where not to go. 

I am sorry because it's kinda offtopic question.

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Ms Sumeray said: "I can only record a conclusion based on the evidence before me, I cannot speculate about what may have happened."

So Caroline Sumeray based her conclusion on the report provided by the Koh Tao police (and still recorded an open verdict, contrary to the Koh Tao police 'misadventure' conclusion). Oh dear. It's easy to understand Caroline Sumeray's pov though: She's a British coroner who associates police with honesty and integrity.

I see you're still foolishly claiming to know more about this case than the highly experienced UK coroner who was in charge of the inquest?

Ms Sumeray also said in her conclusion:

'Thai police reports had probably been the most comprehensive I've ever seen from a foreign force but there was no evidence that Mr Miller had either died as a result of a fight or had been unlawfully killed. '

51 minutes ago, Brandolf said:

Hi

I've just read most of the posts in this thread. I am visiting Thailand for 2 week, from the end of August till September, and I am planning my itinerary right now. 

After reading this thread I am not sure about visiting Ko Samui. Is it safe to visit right now ? I want to visit purely just for relaxing purposes such as sights, beaches not partying/drugs etc.

I'd really appreciate some insight on the situation or some tips where to go/ where not to go. 

I am sorry because it's kinda offtopic question.

Thanks!

Hi Brandolf,

All the cases in this thread are about Koh Tao, not Koh Samui, neither Koh Phangan, which are both as safe as almost anywhere else in Thailand, if just you take care in the traffic, and behave normal responsibly; same as you should almost anywhere in Thailand.

If you are non-partying and wish to enjoy the beautiful beaches etc., you should avoid to stay in Chaweng (it's safe, but party area).
Feel welcome to ask questions, eventually in a thread in the local Samui-forum.
Wish you a good holiday in Land-of-Smiles...:smile:

(PS: I'm resident at Koh Samui for 10+ years – and been coming here for 16 years – it's safe enough, also the parties)

9 hours ago, kannot said:

9 hours ago, kannot said:

if you knew and were living in Thailand would "you" come forward?

And with what information is it with which you think I should come forward?

That I myself observed the actual crime?
That I myself  observed an altercation involving one or both of the deceased hours prior to their demise?
That I myself was a direct receiver of hush money?
That one of the actual perpetrators confessed to me directly and I recorded him on my mobile phone?
That someone who received hush money told me so directly and I recorded him on my mobile phone?

Or else should I just come forward with a bunch of hearsay that someone told me who did it and they know because someone else told them who did it?

30 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

And with what information is it with which you think I should come forward?

That I myself observed the actual crime?
That I myself  observed an altercation involving one or both of the deceased hours prior to their demise?
That I myself was a direct receiver of hush money?
That one of the actual perpetrators confessed to me directly and I recorded him on my mobile phone?
That someone who received hush money told me so directly and I recorded him on my mobile phone?

Or else should I just come forward with a bunch of hearsay that someone told me who did it and they know because someone else told them who did it?

Some people either struggle to understand, or willfully ignore how things work on a tiny island locked down by a local mafia, and who drone on endlessly as though such a mafia-controlled island is a normal place, subject to normal criteria. I, and I expect the vast majority, wonder why certain posters on this forum relentlessly push the agenda in the quoted post. They all claim to have never been there, but they are all over these threads 24/7. Why are they so concerned about a grotty little island that they've never been to? I'm bothered because visitors keep dying there in bizarre circumstances. Why are certain posters who calim to have never visited so obsessed with defending the island's reputation? Why is it so important to them? One of them (DiscoDan) posts incessantly on Twitter, even harrassing mainstream  journalists on there who have seen through the scam. Why is it so important to him? He claims that he's never even been to Koh Tao.

14 hours ago, JLCrab said:

To the above from SamuiTimes:

http://www.samuitimes.com/parents-convinced-sons-death-koh-tao-murder/

... but his parents are disputing that version of events and believe he could have been followed back to his bungalow

So he was fatally beaten and dragged from his hotel room and taken down the shoreline and not one person heard or saw any of this. Nor has there been any plausible explanation as to why anybody would want to do this.

WHO says,, "not one person heard or saw any of this" My question would be,, Who may have seen something,, but refuses to talk about it?

Fine. And maybe not one person has come forward and refuses to talk because not one person has anything to talk about? Guests in the hotel -- other tourists going/returning to/from other hotels or night spots -- none of the other guests including his parents heard or reported any noise or commotion?

as long as the gullible ignorant tourist keep going there and spending their money nothing will change. i also notice nothing was said of the thai mafia family running the place. it is as the tuna commercials always say, welcome charlie!

These are 2 reports on the death of Dimitri Povse.

The man was found at around 3pm on New Year’s day hanging by black string around the neck wearing traditional Thai Fisherman’s pants, black string was also bound around his hands, a fact that has caused much speculation on social media sites that foul play was involved. However, the police found a suicide note that read “iris I love you, suicide seems easy but it is actually very difficult”
http://www.samuitimes.com/french-man-found-dead-koh-tao-incident-treated-suicide-not-homicide/

The body of Dimitri Povse, 29, was found hanging from a ceiling at the balcony of his room at Ta Chin Bungalow on Koh Tao last Thursday. His hands were loosely tied behind his back
Police said there were no signs of a fight or a struggle. There was suicide note on his bed that said, in French, “Iris, I love you. Suicide seems easy but it is actually difficult.”>
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/french-man-hanged-koh-tao-hands-tied-handled-suicide/

2 main differences: The SamuiTimes did not use the word 'loosely' and did not mention that the suicide note was written in French.

SamuiTimes also wrote that the victim's hands being bound behind back caused much speculation on social media that foul play was involved. But --
If you wanted to murder someone and make it look like suicide, why would you tie the victim's hands behind his back so that those on social media could speculate:
"See it wasn't suicide -- HE HAD HIS HANDS TIED BEHIND HIS BACK!!!"

21 hours ago, bamukloy said:

Well there is a warning report on FB about all this.

Has many many replies all of summed up by:
-Ridiculous sensationalism
-i went there an im ok

Many even say:
-if you do stupid things bad stuff happens.

There are so many replies that supporting the island you must actually search very hard to see anything negative.

Id say 1 post in 50 will say something bad

Id say many know already but for sure it not stop them going there again even some there at the time of the double murders

Dead people can't talk (or post on Facebook).

Archived