Authorities fire back over Koh Tao ‘Death Island’ label

rooster59

1 minute ago, Wilsonandson said:

Didn't they check the hotel registers?

We all know the investigation was a joke , so what they did or didn't is difficult to tell. If it was me running the investigation I would contact all of them , but many were probably high on drugs and will not remember what they did that night.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would ask the authorities to check the criminal records of all of the guests that stayed there that night , Italians , Germans, Scandinavians, Brits , Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and Thais .

Maybe something would come up , maybe not a serial killer but someone close enough to fit the bill . 

Edited by balo

I would ask the authorities to check the criminal records of all of the guests that stayed there that night , Italians , Germans, Scandinavians, Brits , Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and Thais .
Maybe something would come up , maybe not a serial killer but someone close enough to fit the bill . 

Khun han's Ted Bundy could have been staying nearby.

43 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

You know years ago Ko Tao was used as an open prison. How people could get off the island when the body was found early morning?

1am crime commited

6am body found

Lockdown

5 hours to get out. No ferry leaves at night.

There was no lockdown.

There is no serial killer roaming the streets anywhere in Thailand. In the last 5 decades here I have been aware of only one serial killer in Thailand- Charles Sobhraj- a French citizen who is wanted for multiple murders in Thailand and currently confined to a prison in Nepal. Goggle him  for details.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

There is no serial killer roaming the streets anywhere in Thailand. In the last 5 decades here I have been aware of only one serial killer in Thailand- Charles Sobhraj- a French citizen who is wanted for multiple murders in Thailand and currently confined to a prison in Nepal. Goggle him  for details.

What a ridiculous comment.

You could more accurately say none have been caught and convicted in recent times.

On 7/8/2017 at 11:40 PM, IslandLover said:

I agree with what you have said apart from the bit about a serial killer.  I personally think it is just Thai thugs doing what Thai thugs do best, and getting away with it.

Well, few want to accept the theory that it is Mon, the son of Woraphan Toovichien, the headman of Sairee. And that his rampage continues. No doubt that family is completely above the law. And and all laws.

Edited by spidermike007

Feuding here is common and vicious. Greg Shepherd, 34, from Luton in the U.K., tells TIME he witnessed a man getting shot in the face in a bar north of Sairee Beach in the mid-2000s. “They took the victim away in a pickup truck and the barman just got a mop out and cleaned up the blood,” he says. In general, tourists are almost comically unaware of this malevolent undercurrent. Yet it remains an open secret that “organized crime is rampant on these islands," says Saksith. Little wonder the conversational staple of many long-term expats is, “These are the worst Thais in Thailand.”

Foreigners die surprisingly often here. There were 362 U.K. citizens who met their end in Thailand in 2014, more so even than in France, which attracts almost 20 times as many British visitors. But generally they lose their lives through traffic accidents, overdoses and suicides. This was very different.

http://time.com/3955081/thailand-koh-tao-murder-david-miller-hannah-witheridge-zaw-lin-wai-phyo-burma-myanmar/

Posts containing links to Bangkok Post have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

A troll post has been removed. 

If you want to prove there is a serial killer that killed Hannah, you need to find a murder victim that had the same amount of attackers 2 or 3 if you include Maung Maung, they would of also had to of been raped but the autopsy would show no signs of rape, cuts/lacerations to vagina a badly beaten face, legs bent in same position.

I only know of one other murder victim that this has happened to but it wasnt on Tao. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Foreigners die surprisingly often here. There were 362 U.K. citizens who met their end in Thailand in 2014, more so even than in France, which attracts almost 20 times as many British visitors. But generally they lose their lives through traffic accidents, overdoses and suicides. This was very different.

How many elderly Brits retire to France and don't make the jump back across the Channel for free end-of-life treatment within the NHS?  

I suspect most of those 362 were old guys dying a natural death, who were no longer able -or willing- to go back to the UK when their time on earth was over.

On 7/9/2017 at 11:08 AM, joebrown said:

I live in a northern province, and have a 'survival instinct'. I witnessed a crime involving the sale of drugs in my town  I told my Thai g/f who said she was aware of the problem and knew the person(s) involved. I asked whether I should go to the police and report what I'd seen. She said reporting the crime might have fatal consequences for me. I queried this and she said the police were aware of the drug peddling and were probably allowing it to continue for a 'fee'. She then said that if I did report it, the police would probably tell the 'pusher' I'd done so. As my g/f also knew the 'pusher' carried a gun, she said I would likely become a target for him.

Perhaps you might now understand the 'wall of silence' that allegedly exists on KT.

That is a very good point. I think your Gf was very wise in her advice!

Having read that, i think some of the tourist (new to Thailand) do not know this

and so,  id say a typical reaction from tourist in many such bad situation will be 

" <deleted> you, i can handle you, whimpy Asian.. bring it on.."

And then trouble start.

Then farang also expect a concept of a fair fight that dont exist in Thailand.

Id say sometimes investigation of what happened is police accepted the story that..

the drunken, drug-up farang started it..

And in their mind that give them the absolve from all guilt.

I being with Thais at the time of seeing a news report 

a Thai guy does wrong and is beaten nearly to death for some crime and Thais watching will all commente...som num nah.

i dont suggest any tourists that died were doing wrong but sadly this is the attitude you sonetimes will deal with in Thailand.

21 hours ago, balo said:

Someone high on drugs and mentally sick .  Lots of people to choose from. 

IMO the first police capt knew who did it and it was more than one person.............

The way poor Hannah was killed, IMO, points to someone who bore a grudge/grievance against her, and her murder was committed in anger and for vengeance.

Whilst this was going on someone had to restrain David and stab him many times in the head with a small sharp object (not a hoe).

Two diminutive Burmese men.............not likely or even possible in my book.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

How many elderly Brits retire to France and don't make the jump back across the Channel for free end-of-life treatment within the NHS?  

I suspect most of those 362 were old guys dying a natural death, who were no longer able -or willing- to go back to the UK when their time on earth was over.

Wow. Nice. You are giving Thailand the real benefit of the doubt here. Get ready. Little P. is going to contacting you and giving you the "free PR expat of the year" award. Very kind of you.

Actually it is nothing to do with the Land Office because the Land Department has nothing to do with Phor Tor 5 land, unless it is designated for upgrade via the steps that ultimately lead to issuance of a proper title deed.  But all the land on Koh Tao has been designated Phor Tor 5 in perpetuity.  Incidentally,  similar edicts have been issued to prevent any further upgrades to Phor Tor 5 land taking place in Phangan and Samui but Koh Tao is very clear cut, since there is not even one square wah of title deed land on the island, nor any land that is eligible for upgrade.

Phor Tor 5 land is directly under the Interior Ministry which is responsible for managing the state's real assets, whereas the Land Department only supervises creation and transfer of title deeds.  That is why it is the governor's direct responsibility.  The land cannot be bought or sold at all but the Interior Ministry delegates responsibility for its management to local Or Por Thors, or local administrations.  That is why the people referred to variously as mayors or village headmen have become so wealthy and powerful on this islands.  The local administrations assign the land for use for agriculture and fisheries and collect nominal taxes.  The users of the land get a local tax number and tax receipts which signifies their right to use the land.  Transactions take place in the form of the sale of the local tax number relating to a piece of land. This is not a legal transfer of ownership and it is up to the Or Por Thor to accept the transfer of the tax number to a new user and agree to issue tax receipts to him.  The Or Por Thor can determine that a piece of land is not being used for agriculture and fisheries and refuse to accept tax and issue a tax receipt which means the land user has to vacate the land. It can also refuse to allow the transfer of a tax number to a new owner.  I am not sure how it works in Koh Tao and the other islands but I would guess that the influential families retain all the tax numbers for themselves and just rent the land out.  Rental contracts cannot be registered with the Land Department because there are no title deeds and rental is not allowed anyway.  So the only redress of a lessee would be in the civil courts.  So I imagine that renting the land is a rather tentative affair for the lessees and the families probably own nearly all the hotels themselves, as regular investors would be unable to borrow from banks or commit their own funds to such a risky structure.  

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/30320325
Is that you Dogmatix?

Well, few want to accept the theory that it is Mon, the son of Woraphan Toovichien, the headman of Sairee. And that his rampage continues. No doubt that family is completely above the law. And and all laws.

If the photo's on DJ Love's facebook page are anything to go by back then, then the possibility of you being spot on is narrowed down.

On 7/9/2017 at 2:30 PM, onthesoi said:

Your anecdotal story set in a northern province has no bearing on Koh Tao, however you could have simply given an anonymous tip off to a local drug enforcement or even the province police chief, why you couldn't/can't see that as an option is puzzling.

his anecdotal story actually has even more bearing on Koh Tao and the other islands-

there's no such thing as anonymous tip off; anybody who we inform on would find out who did the squealing, with fatal results

17 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

his anecdotal story actually has even more bearing on Koh Tao and the other islands-

there's no such thing as anonymous tip off; anybody who we inform on would find out who did the squealing, with fatal results

Not so and overly dramatic-  email a newspaper samui times would be a good one with evidence of a major crime etc let them publicise it / investigate or anpmosuly email the police - I don't think any police here or otherwise is going to care about a minor drug transaction the OP was speaking of they happen everywhere and all the time 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Mon is the brother of the headman, not the son.

16 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Not so and overly dramatic-  email a newspaper samui times would be a good one with evidence of a major crime etc let them publicise it / investigate or anpmosuly email the police - I don't think any police here or otherwise is going to care about a minor drug transaction the OP was speaking of they happen everywhere and all the time 

I've been trying to think of a suitable description of these posts and "over dramatic" will do very nicely -  thank you!

Edited by sambum
Grammar

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And for posterities sake, what is the name of the actual guilty party? The son?

The brother or the son does it matter ? In many eyes they are all guilty .   At least the brother were on the island that night , as you can see him in many videos. 

No evidence of the son being there  except a weird "running man video" that could be anyone , including B2.