Authorities fire back over Koh Tao ‘Death Island’ label

rooster59

12 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I wouldn`t give anything this prat has to say any credibility. If he knows so much, why has he not elaborated any further and where is he now?

As I`ve said in my previous posts on other threads; young people are visiting those islands to party and my guess is are getting into some heavy stuff that some have gotten out of control, probably with all the wrong and weirdest kinds of people, involving drink, drugs and sex.

I believe many people know exactly what`s going on and either keeping quite to protect their own reputations or have vested business interests in those islands.

It`s very simple; if tourists want to keep safe, go elsewhere in the country and visit the temples, beaches, go trekking in Chiang Mai or travel with the official tours. Stay away from the full moon parties and other dodgy activities if not wanting to live dangerously.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The above is a post by Dogmatic not by me.

I hear you Jennifer and others about whistle-blowing. And I understand that proof/evidence - given that the local authorities are miserly with it - is difficult to come about and present.

But on a matter of absolute fact; as presented by Dogmatic (above) surely Ch-o-ch can act?!

If the military was to get stuck in on that island a can of wrigglies might be opened.

Is there not something going on right now up north where illegal resorts are being torn down?

I think the resorts up North are on forest reserve land which is actually worse because no one is allowed to occupy the land or even build temporary structures and no form of agriculture or fisheries is permitted there (even though in many cases the land was already degraded at the time of the classification and indigenous people were already farming and living there). The classification as Por Tor 5 land generally indicated that it could be upgraded at some point in the future but this process has been officially halted in the islands and in Koh Tao none of it has ever been upgraded.  

It is a fair guess that the owners of the demolished resorts in the North were not in any sense politically aligned with the current regime.  If you pay attention to what Sondhi Lim said and believe him, in spite of his conviction for fraud, the opposite is true in Koh Tao and the rest of the islands.  Do you recall the the problems that Suthep's son had over allegations of forest encroachment on Samui that emerged during the Yingluck government?  That case seems to have gone quiet now.    

1 hour ago, jenifer d said:

exactly!!!

although i know EXACTLY who is doing what, both there AND elsewhere (for instance, our island)

there is NO PLACE and NOBODY  that i could safely inform that it wouldn't come back on me

from a variety of directions, such is the interwoven nature and depth of the corruption...

How are you with Lottery numbers?

2 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I think the resorts up North are on forest reserve land which is actually worse because no one is allowed to occupy the land or even build temporary structures and no form of agriculture or fisheries is permitted there (even though in many cases the land was already degraded at the time of the classification and indigenous people were already farming and living there). The classification as Por Tor 5 land generally indicated that it could be upgraded at some point in the future but this process has been officially halted in the islands and in Koh Tao none of it has ever been upgraded.  

It is a fair guess that the owners of the demolished resorts in the North were not in any sense politically aligned with the current regime.  If you pay attention to what Sondhi Lim said and believe him, in spite of his conviction for fraud, the opposite is true in Koh Tao and the rest of the islands.  Do you recall the the problems that Suthep's son had over allegations of forest encroachment on Samui that emerged during the Yingluck government?  That case seems to have gone quiet now.    

yes, especially in the south which was overwhelmingly anti-Thaksin & Yingluck;

on our island, there are several resorts used for nefarious purposes (trafficking) that were created on land grabbed illegally after the tsunami, by families very heavily connected both politically and otherwise

53 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

there is no way to make the evidence public anonymously;

even when  the initial police investigator the very first day cited who the actual  perps were,

he was replaced and transferred immediately- and now people are being threatened w/suits and worse...

no matter who anybody told, there is really no way to do it anonymously

I'm sorry, that is complete bullshit!

Just now, onthesoi said:

I'm sorry, that is complete bullshit!

no it isn't, several others have pointed it out,

even a commenter in the Bangkok post 2 days ago;

i recall it as well- the first 24-36 hours, then the police

making the statements was replaced

this was reported in several papers and online sources at the time as well

50 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

no it isn't, several others have pointed it out,

even a commenter in the Bangkok post 2 days ago;

i recall it as well- the first 24-36 hours, then the police

making the statements was replaced

this was reported in several papers and online sources at the time as well

What does any of that have to do with your silly claim: "there is no way to make the evidence public anonymously;" ?

13 hours ago, DiscoDan said:

The other paper is saying the defense team of the B2 failed to lodge an appeal to the supreme court  and the case is now closed, anyone else heard this ?

Not true, so you'd better go away and eat humble pie.

Solved? what does that even mean in Thailand. Authorities couldn't find their way out of a paper bag.

"Here look; the evidence" as they wheel out murder weapons in a shopping cart.

Anything to keep the heard coming in. Most of the world doesn't even know about any of this as the Thai authorities do such a great job and their real work cloaking the country with smoke and mirrors.

I can't believe that they are even able to openly justify and get away with most of the conclusions they come up with which to a half wit, even seem absolutely absurd. Ie. A man found hog tied in a Jesus Christ pose to a water marker in the ocean with his throat slit, labeled suicide, just before he sent a text message to is wife (girlfriend) with all of his bank info and pass codes. And a country with the highest death toll in the world due to foreigners falling from balconies. Funny that it never seems to happen to a Thai?

3 hours ago, DiscoDan said:

Are you sure ? This report said a lot of the injuries were sustained after he died

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/nick-pearson-inquest-family-derbyshire-man-dead/story-25741734-detail/story.html

Ive seen it twice once on beeb as attached and once once I think on Youtube about Deaths on Koh tao. 

Samui Times, which said it had yet to be contacted about the charges, defended its reporting in an online post. “The Samui Times believes that it is in the best interests of any visitor to the island to be aware of the numerous tourist deaths and the fact that many families of those who died on the island are not satisfied with police investigations,” it said.

I couldn't agree more ..........

7 hours ago, JLCrab said:

409f9a23079d8b0642f9c8a80b739855.jpeg

The press fails to mention the death of the Swiss diver, Hanspeter Suter in November 2014, who allegedly drowned in a snorkelling accident which was regarded by some as suspicious.  His disappearance was not reported for at least 3 days and his body was found washed up on the mainland in Chumphon province intact after being missing for more than a week.  There was also the strange death in 2016 of French diver and Koh Tao resident Jean-Francois Louet, in Surat Thani.  M. Louet boarded a ferry to Koh Tao, got off before it departed and wandered away.  His body was found in a field 2 km from the ferry terminal more than a week later.  And just for the record, Luke Miller died in January 2016, not 2017.

3 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

The press fails to mention the death of the Swiss diver, Hanspeter Suter in November 2014, who allegedly drowned in a snorkelling accident which was regarded by some as suspicious.  His disappearance was not reported for at least 3 days and his body was found washed up on the mainland in Chumphon province intact after being missing for more than a week.  There was also the strange death in 2016 of French diver and Koh Tao resident Jean-Francois Louet, in Surat Thani.  M. Louet boarded a ferry to Koh Tao, got off before it departed and wandered away.  His body was found in a field 2 km from the ferry terminal more than a week later.  And just for the record, Luke Miller died in January 2016, not 2017.

I Recall that French diver had decompresion sickness. You can explain some of the deaths. The main factor in all this is the general public is not getting the full story on deaths that have occured on the island. Thailand has many English media outlets to report the news. An indepth report with all the facts and details needs to be published in these media outlets so tourists know the real data.

2 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I Recall that French diver had decompresion sickness. You can explain some of the deaths. The main factor in all this is the general public is not getting the full story on deaths that have occured on the island. Thailand has many English media outlets to report the news. An indepth report with all the facts and details needs to be published in these media outlets so tourists know the real data.

According to the Koh Tao Rescue spokesperson, Steven Drylie, M. Louet died of a blood disorder.  It was reported that he had suffered an injury at some point, so it may have been sepsis, but who really knows?

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Dark Tao is one of the most dangerous places in all of SE Asia. That is due to the authorities refusing to go after the serial killer, due to his family being too rich, and completely above the law. So, this Surat Thani Governor Uanchai, is making a big deal, since he is losing a fortune on his Tao franchise. He is upset, due to the fact that bookings are way down. And he is showing himself to be a tremendous fool, by making a big deal about the Samui Times articles. All of those articles are completely true. Sometimes the truth stings. And most Thais have an incredibly hard time dealing with truth, and have a total inability to look within for the source of the problem. 

Turns out the owner of the Samui Times has gone overseas, to avoid the authorities, and this potential vendetta. Hope they never find them.

I agree with what you have said apart from the bit about a serial killer.  I personally think it is just Thai thugs doing what Thai thugs do best, and getting away with it.

2 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

This video might be of interest to some.

To try and explain, if you watch this video it is mainly points of view rather than fact. People listen to these views and not the facts. Just like gossip, it's just talking about something with your own ideas and conclusions without the facts. Most of the assumptions that are made are told to the viewers but the viewer might think these are facts.

So when writing an article for the news, the reporter must only report the facts. When commenting on a forum or blog the person can then add their points of view, ideas and assumptions.

So is the Samui Times wrong in labeling koh Tao as death island?

Not if you read their article properly.

A.k.a 'death island' is stating that some people refer to Ko Tao as death island.

On July 7th there was also a Video published within the German Focus on-line News App.

Talked about the "Island Paradise Koh Tao: Mysterious Deaths cast a shadow on the idyllic island. "

Doubting the "suicides" and talked about possible mafia and corruption on the island (s).

So it is given visibility also in Germany.

13 minutes ago, IslandLover said:

According to the Koh Tao Rescue spokesperson, Steven Drylie, M. Louet died of a blood disorder.  It was reported that he had suffered an injury at some point, so it may have been sepsis, but who really knows?

Well there you go I though he had decompression sickness when in FACT he died of a blood disorder, sepsis.

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Just my own hunches on the cases based on publicly availably available information which is incomplete on many key points.

Nick Pearson - Most probably murdered.  The explanation of suicide seems to stretch credulity too far.

David and Hannah - It is certainly not impossible they were murdered by 2B but the evidence against them is only circumstantial and forensic. The forensic evidence lacked credibility in the way it was compiled by police pathologists, was not verified by an independent pathologist and would without doubt have been thrown out by any Western court.  Important forensic evidence, such as Hannah's clothing and the blond hair she was found clutching in death were discarded without explanation.  The way the 2B were not accorded Thailand's equivalent of Miranda rights when they were arrested and the mode of interrogation and lack of qualified translator would have resulted in prosecutors not even taking the case to court in the West.  With all due respect to the court, it seems hard to rule out the possibility that David and Hannah were murdered by persons unknown.    

Dimitri Povese - Although doubts remain, it seems quite possible that he did hang himself.  It is unusual for suicides to tie their own hands before suspending themselves but it is not entirely unknown by Western pathologists and is explained by a desire to prevent themselves from changing their minds.  However, this aspect does make his death somewhat more suspicious.

Christina Annesley - Death by misadventure seems entirely possible in this case.  In her FB page she referred to taking Tramadol, a synthetic opioid pain killer that is or was at that time available in Thai pharmacies without restrictions.   It is a prescription drug only in the UK, so it was likely that Christina was experimenting with this with drug for the first time and was not fully aware of the potential side effects and risks related to this drug. Like all natural and synthetic opiods Tramadol can severely depress the central nervous system leading to death, particularly if mixed with alcohol.  Anyone who has taken Tramadol can attest to the shallow breathing that even a normal dose can induce.  

Luke Miller - The British coroner was convinced of the Thai police report of death by misadventure.  The circumstances surrounding his death do seem somewhat suspicious but he reportedly had a high blood alcohol count in his body and traces of ritanol.  Death by drowning is several times more likely when an intoxicated person falls into a swimming pool, as the natural reaction to expel water from the lungs is suppressed, potentially resulting rapidly in death.

Valentina Novozhyonova - No information available.

Elise Dellamagne - There is not much information on this death but it does seem highly suspicious.  Western pathologists attest to the fact that it is relatively rare for women to hang themselves and virtually unknown for them to seek out a deserted spot in a forest or jungle to hang themselves. They are far more likely to kill themselves in the comfort of their home or a hotel room.  On the other hand, a quiet spot in the jungle would be perfect for a murder by hanging or staged suicide of someone murdered elsewhere.  Unlike the Hannah and David case, police have been careful not to leak photographs of the death scene but reports of the body being found on a rock wrapped in tee shirts sound bizarre.  She had only been dead for a few days when her body was discovered which means there was not enough time for the body to decompose that it would have fallen down from the suspended position. There has been no adequate explanation of her movements and actions in the days prior to death, including why did she leave the ferry at Koh Tao, why did she check in under a fake name, etc.  Also there seems to have been little or no attempt to track her final movements through CCTV footage and exhaustively interviewing people who might have seen her.   As is usual in Thailand the forensic examination was only carried out by police with no autopsy by an independent pathologist.  Elise's mother opted for local cremation, rather than sending the body back to Belgium where it could have been examined by a pathologist according to Western standards.      

The UK Coroner actually recorded an "Open" verdict on Luke Miller, meaning there was insufficient evidence to know how he met his death.

Archived