Two Estonian tourists fined 20,000 baht each for in-flight smoking

webfact

Two Estonian tourists fined 20,000 baht each for in-flight smoking

By ThaiPBS

vlcsnap-2017-07-09-15h54m26s895.png

BANGKOK: -- Two Estonian brother and sister were fined 20,000 baht each and released for smoking on an airliner despite repeated warnings from flight attendants.

The incident took place on a Finair flight AY089 bound for Bangkok from Finland on Friday.

Flight attendants reportedly told police at Suvarnabhumi international airport that the two brother and sister, Alexandr Nikforovx and Mrs Svetlana Galkinax, defied their warnings not to smoke in the plane and allegedly smoked five times in the toilet.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-estonian-tourists-fined-20000-baht-flight-smoking/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-10

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a joke is that? fine them only 20.000,00 for smoking on a plane?!??!??!

Deport them and hand them over to "real" police in a country that suports the strict law on smoke ban in an ariplane!

The crew should have detained them in handcuffs!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, buick said:

it would be nice if the fine money was paid to the people nearest the toilet, who had to smell the smoke during the flight.  

This reminds me of a Sufi story that I love :

The legendary Sufi sage Nasr Eddin Hodja was sometimes called upon to act as judge in the nearby town of Aksehir. One day a street merchant who sold shish kebab near the courthouse rushed in, roughly pulling a beggar by the ear, and complained to the Hodjah :

-  Effendi, this man comes to sit near my kebab stall every day for hours, inhaling the delicious smell without ever giving me anything in return ! I am truly fed up with this situation and I am asking you to fine him properly for this theft !

Nasr Eddin listens carefully, ponders for a while, and then asks the beggar if he has any money in his pockets. The beggar says he has, searches his dirty bag and produces a handful of coins, bitterly complaining that this is all the alms he's been collecting in a whole week.

-  Never you mind, says the Hodja, just bring me that money.

The beggar reluctantly goes over to the Hodja and hands him his little treasure. Nasr Edin then beckons the merchant over. Once he's nearby, the Hodjah joins his hands with the coins inside and rattles them near the man's ear.

- There you go, says Nasr Edin, the sound will pay for the smell !

Edited by Yann55

I wonder what a Thai crew would have done. I was on a THAI flight from Dubai one night and a fight broke out over someone kicking the seat in front. Instead of dealing with it the crew all went into hiding. Amazing. You wouldn't want to rely on them if there were an emergency.

Russians. They smoke in a toilet during a flight at Russian airlines. Nobody cares. The Finair is different. Yet, I would propose to distribute a Nicotine shewing gum or E-cigarettes for hard smokers. It is hard for them to get 10-12 hours flight without a dose.

21 minutes ago, Oleg57 said:

Russians. They smoke in a toilet during a flight at Russian airlines. Nobody cares. The Finair is different. Yet, I would propose to distribute a Nicotine shewing gum or E-cigarettes for hard smokers. It is hard for them to get 10-12 hours flight without a dose.

They weren't Russian. 

Also the stench from e-cigarettes is just as bad for  those of us who do not smoke. 

If you can't hold out for the length of a flight, don't fly.

The rules are quite clear and when you pay for a ticket, you agree to them. 

Edited by Bluespunk

34 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

They weren't Russian. 

Also the stench from e-cigarettes is just as bad for  those of us who do not smoke. 

If you can't hold out for the length of a flight, don't fly.

The rules are quite clear and when you pay for a ticket, you agree to them. 

Alexandr Nikforovx and  Svetlana Galkinax - <foreign language removed>. This is how it will be in Cyrillic alphabet. Russian names.

They are Russians by origin no matter what passports and citizenship they are holding. Believe me there is huge difference between the native Estonians and Russians. For example, I am Ukrainian despite I am keeping Russian passport.

I recall times when smoking in airplanes was normal. Actually, a ventilation system in airplanes is efficient enough to suck out gasses expelled from anybody's anus as well as vapors from e-cigarettes. If it is so critical, the air-carriers may allow to vapor E-cigarettes in the rear side of the airplane cabin. It would harm nobody. I am nor a smoker neither Russian but discrimination of people suffering from addiction is disgusting.    

Edited by metisdead
Foreign language removed. English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

I don't see why the airlie did not just make these two people get right on the next available flight

back to the country they came from.  This happened on that airline, and they did not deal with this

problem. Just let Thailand deal with it. How nice..

Geezer

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

W8hat a joke, would have put them straight back on a flight to where they came from and banned them for life, never to return to Thailand, but as usual, tea money takes over common sense.

Yes 100% sent back what world have they been living in past century , tea money nothing changes in kwailand . Money talks bull s_ _t walks straight back to home country dumb and dumber wonder what else the bro and sis do together in Estonia  .

19 minutes ago, Oleg57 said:

Alexandr Nikforovx and  Svetlana Galkinax - <foreign language removed>. This is how it will be in Cyrillic alphabet. Russian names.

They are Russians by origin no matter what passports and citizenship they are holding. Believe me there is huge difference between the native Estonians and Russians. For example, I am Ukrainian despite I am keeping Russian passport.

I recall times when smoking in airplanes was normal. Actually, a ventilation system in airplanes is efficient enough to suck out gasses expelled from anybody's anus as well as vapors from e-cigarettes. If it is so critical, the air-carriers may allow to vapor E-cigarettes in the rear side of the airplane cabin. It would harm nobody. I am nor a smoker neither Russian but discrimination of people suffering from addiction is disgusting.    

They are Estonian. 

I do not want to breath in the stench of those who smoke, whether it be the e version or the original poison. 

If you can't last a flight, don't fly. The rules are clear. 

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Where would be the profit for the Thais if they just sent them back?

Money number one.

Yes,you are so right.Good chance they ignore other rules while they are here

so more money to be made!!

1 minute ago, Mad mick said:

Yes 100% sent back what world have they been living in past century , tea money nothing changes in kwailand . Money talks bull s_ _t walks straight back to home country dumb and dumber wonder what else the bro and sis do together in Estonia  .

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Where would be the profit for the Thais if they just sent them back?

Money number one.

Don't forget their 3 of the quality country tourists list they want to encourage to thailand. Along with Chinese, Indians,  rest of us dont count . Just suffer the smoke why didn't smoke detectors and water alarm did not kick in ! If so would of given them a wet & late songkran arrival welcome to amazing thailand