Two Estonian tourists fined 20,000 baht each for in-flight smoking

webfact

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

And for those who have never had the pleasure of flying Yorkshire Airways here is something to Wet ( or whet ) your whistle !!

Yes a great comedy sketch, if I've watched it once I must have watched it 10 times.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes a great comedy sketch, if I've watched it once I must have watched it 10 times.

I went to Yorkshire once - up near Scotland I seem to recall.
Scunthorpe it was - if Typhoo put the tea in Britain, who put the...

On 7/10/2017 at 7:00 PM, little mary sunshine said:

Many of the Russians that stayed married Estonia women...i.e.  "Russian types".

A brief review of the research indicates that there wasn't actually a lot of intermarriage between Estonian women and Russian men. Most Russian men in Estonia married Russian women, and most Estonians still don't speak Russian.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, farcanell said:

Apparently..... 70% of Estonians are ethnic Estonians... . 25% of Estonians are of Russian ethnic origins ( but that's wiki for you)

so.... high chance they were Estonian types vs Russian types... .. so.... maybe Germanic types might be appropriate, as the area ,historically, had a huge German (crusades and development) influence in an area surrounded by Vikings.

anyway.... once charged, they cannot be recharged in Estonia, and as 20,000 baht is damn cheap, these two can consider themselves very lucky (with  fines up to 5000 for smoking, plus up to 25000 for causing a disturbance on a plane....a million baht up for grabs there)

To be clear, the 25-26% of Estonian citizens who are Russian in Ethnicity were moved there as part of the expansion of the Soviet Union and the vast majority of them neither speak Estonian nor attempt to integrate into Estonian culture. They're now particularly a concern because while they opted to remain in Estonia because of its better economic prospects, more open society and to join the EU, they are still Russian so provide a handy excuse for Putin to threaten to annex the Eastern part of the country similar to what happened in the Crimea.

You are correct that much of the Estonian heritage is German due to the long rule via the Teutonic Knights. 

On 7/10/2017 at 7:47 AM, Prbkk said:

One time...a warning; twice, a stern talking to. Five times...clearly either dumb as a box of rocks/drunk.../both. 20,000 is fair.

Put on the international no fly list would be fair 

Lets say 5 years ,1 year per smoke .....

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

You are correct that much of the Estonian heritage is German due to the long rule via the Teutonic Knights. 

Peter Darmans " crusader chronicles" are a great read on this topic, if you have the time.

When did these two a.r.s.e. holes light up as that could have and probably should have triggered a response from the Pilot. When the safety of the passangers and the crew are put in jeopardy or when passangers disobey rules and instructions from the crew the Captain can and in this case should have returned to the takeoff airport and had these two earslings taken off the flight and arrested.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/07/2017 at 0:32 PM, nikotin said:

Wrong.

They dont stink.

I use one near u,where i shouldnt and u can complain.

Loudly if u want.

Having thought about it for a while, I've come to the obvious conclusion. 

You're wrong. 

They stink. 

Oh, and I will. 

Edited by Bluespunk

On 7/12/2017 at 3:42 PM, farcanell said:

Peter Darmans " crusader chronicles" are a great read on this topic, if you have the time.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if I can find it.