Exclusive: BoT Governor Veerathai advises on how to survive in a “highly volatile world”

webfact

Exclusive: BoT Governor Veerathai advises on how to survive in a “highly volatile world”

By Thai PBS

veerathai.jpg

Dr Veerathai Santiprabhop is the 23rd governor of the Bank of Thailand and the youngest ever at the age of 45, when he assumed the prestigious office.

Dr Veerathai will complete two years in his position on October 1.  On this occasion, the governor sat down for a candid talk with Thai PBS news anchor Nattha Komolvadhin on a wide range of issues, ranging from the global economy and Thai economy to the life styles of a younger generation and work-life balance.

The global economy seems to be heating up, especially following the meeting between German Chancellor Angela Merkel and US President Donald Trump in Brussels, in May, which did not go well.  Merkel later said that, from now on, the relationship between Germany and the US may not be smooth. How this will impact on global economy?

Today, the global economy is gradually recovering–although, in the meantime, risk factors are increasing as well.  Risk may stem from the policy changes of President Trump, including policy on international relations and policy on the international trade, which may affect global geopolitics.

Likewise, problems in Europe, such as Brexit or the potential of a political backlash to the election result in France by an anti-globalization movement could pose challenges to the unification of Europe.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/exclusive-bot-governor-veerathais-advice-survive-highly-volatile-world/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-10

How about the banking crash coming when the loans all come due and the people have no money to pay? Oh I guess then the banks will just take the land from the people and then hire them to farm it huh.

1 minute ago, nong38 said:

O ye of little faith!  Thailand is immune to the Global economy and plenty of noodles to boot all washed down with the finest beers in the worlde.

in some small ways it may be, many Thais used to be able to survive on almost nothing just growing food to live, seems the younger generation havent seen this and maybe wouldnt cope so well.

Having grown various things here its remarkably fast how you can go from seed to fruit/veg here...........astounding in fact.

When i drive through Pattaya I see entire streets with closed down shops and newly build shop houses, empty for years already

When I drive through the street where I live about 15 km outside Pattaya in a rural area, every day a new shop has opened, some with nothing more than a fridge with 10 bottles of soda inside.

So about every other house now runs some kind of grocery shop or restaurant. Take note that the street I live is a dead end so has no traffic that doesn't have to be there.

I don't think this is a sign of wealth.