What The Level Of Education On This Site?

GuestHouse

What is your highest educational qualification  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, going to a trade school to learn something specific is fine. The university system, in America at least, is a waste of money. I cant speak for other countries' Universities, but in the US, its big business. Needing to take numerous useless classes to build up credits just so the school can get more money out of you. The US University system is a farce. Wasted too much time and money going to college I did, so I do not speak from ignorance. I learned infinitely more traveling in the world than I ever did going to school. Having a degree gets no extra respect from me.

left at 16, changed my mind, asked to stay on to the sixth form (england) had 2 interviews pleading with the housemaster, finally he let me back. re-took exams, got worse results than before, (as we did'nt actually do any studying) finally was asked politely to leave at 17.

looking back, yes i would have got my head down and worked harder.

but here i'm am in LOS so <deleted>.

:o

2 nd year high school, left with honours in times tables :D

5 years street educated and 7 years army trained.

I also have made over 2000 jumps from a perfectly good aircraft, speak (coversational) 3 languages and hold a 1st level black belt (shodan) in Aikido.

I graduated from the school of life :o

looking back, yes i would have got my head down and worked harder.

I think 99% of us would say the same. I finished university with a "richard" in Geology. Can a great time, but look back and wish i'd done the hard yards in the classroom too.

Having a degree gets no extra respect from me.

I agree with this one.

Neither does it get any from me.

Formal education makes it easier to find a job but besides that,...

Anyway, as far as my formal education is concerned, I'm a civil engineer.

I left school at 16, the US school system was moulded by education perfessionals who think everyone should go on to earn doctorates in something. The whole system is set up not for the benefit of the people or America, but for the universitys to make money. The whole experience left me questioning my intelligence when I was young. Here I sit in SE Asia, retired 6 years ago at 50 and with a couple of nickles to rub together. Reminds me of a joke I should put on board someday. :o

I joined this forum because

I want to get better learning.

I am dim but soon will be brighter.

Don't think so.

The forum "intelligence" level is way doooown.

We all get dumber.

Well, at least we have fun and sometimes, sometimes, we learn something,...

Not sure it will help you find a job or make more money but overall, should be good for your health,... :o:D

1st class honours BSc and Msc from University College London, both in communications and microwave engineering. Prior to that I did 5 years technician training after messing up my school exams :D

Spent 15 years as a Rocket Scientist :o (Actually true! I worked for the European Space Agency and similar organisations where I designed rocket equipment...)

But letters after your name prove little! If I look at my past exam papers I just wonder how I ever answered the questions :D

I don't know what happened there. Posted by itself, seems to be some glitch in the system.

Anyway would not do it again. Anybody who asks me if I reccomend going into medicine I allways say don't do it, especially since we are in a health care crisis in this country.

I've allways heard that the A and B students wind up working for the C students...

• Like 1

I got a high school diploma, but I have a feeling they gave it to me just so I wouldnt be there anymore. Then one of the skills I learned in the army, digging ditches, I put to good use and got a job with a concrete construction company, where I dug ditches for 25 years. My brother is a retired FBI agent and my sister is a doctor, but Ill bet they couldnt dig a decent ditch if thier life depended on it!

re: UAE and muscle cars...it's true...wonderful big highways with little traffic...just watch out for the local rag heads with Ferraris and Lamborgs...you get in their way on the 'racecourse' public highway between Dubai and Abu Dhabi it will always be your fault if there is a problem...

ahem...more to the point of the thread, completed two 4 year US accredited degree programs in liberal arts and engineering. Can't be more specific as there are anti-formal education hooligans everywhere...

College Diploma in Medical Technology. Never thought it would eventually lead me to LOS but that is another loooong story. I can not get a job in this field in Thailand, and I tried, because it is done purely by Thais. Maybe someone has a consultancy job for me there? Would I do it all over again? Never! There are many more rewarding jobs than this one.