dave2? Sad news apparently :(

Chiangmai Foxy

The famous Photographer Dave2  and a good friend of many of us, who often frequented this forum with his photos and wit.

I heard from a good friend who lives in daves apartment block that he has passed away and that many sets of flowers have been placed on his old red honda motorbike outside...furthermore we heard medical staff were in his room  and he was taken away..
Not seen Dave for a week (usually see him 3 times a week or so in basic bar) , does anyone have any more information?

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true that is very sad news. Dave2 has been an institution in this forum.

I sincerely hope he comes along to post a picture of himself to dispel this sad report. Barring that, I expect photo documentation from beyond the veil will be posted in the not to distant future.

Oh no, sadly you may be right.  I looked at his profile and the last time he visited TV was on July 1st.  He usually contributed a post every 2 or 3 days -- at least.  Usually cheerful and with interesting photos.  He will be missed.

Always enjoyed his posts and met him a few times. He really loved cats and would often help them out. We had that in common and a love for good food. He PMed restaurant suggestions from time to time.

If this is true, RIP Dave 2.

Dave 2 was always quick to appear with photos of places people were looking for and to backup with photos when a place was mentioned in blogs.

He had a very good wit about him and I never read a bad word on any of his posts, unfortunately I never met the guy.

I will miss his input on TV, one of the true helpers in life.

I hope he finds the big lens in the sky and sends us a few photos from above...cheers big guy!

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

Oh no, sadly you may be right.  I looked at his profile and the last time he visited TV was on July 1st.  He usually contributed a post every 2 or 3 days -- at least.  Usually cheerful and with interesting photos.  He will be missed.

Has it been confirmed, July 1st is not so long ago especially if away.

If it is confirmed then it is a sad loss to those who knew him personally and this forum will surely miss his regular photo contributions, which were the best.

Sad news indeed. May,to some, have just been a "name "on a forum  but had the admiration of many of us and surprising no one close to him has come forward,then again its a very small percentage of local expats that frequent Thai Visa.

RIP

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

Sad news indeed. May,to some, have just been a "name "on a forum  but had the admiration of many of us and surprising no one close to him has come forward,then again its a very small percentage of local expats that frequent Thai Visa.

RIP

And even fewer of the regulars bother posting on TV nowadays.  CM forum very quiet the last 6 months or so....

On 11/07/2017 at 5:42 PM, uptheos said:

Has it been confirmed, July 1st is not so long ago especially if away.

If it is confirmed then it is a sad loss to those who knew him personally and this forum will surely miss his regular photo contributions, which were the best.

Yes apparently so, as i indicated in my original post...
He was taken from his room over a week ago by medical personnel in their chosen apparatus shall we say!!!..He didn't just leave his place and avoid posting on 'Thai Visa' or take a trip!!!
Reefs were laid by his motorcycle, from many people living in his condo...
chatted and had a beer with him a week ago, he seemed perfectly fine and healthy to me, exercising and having a few beers..
For those who need further information you can ask at his apartment..

*** removed****

Edited by CharlieH
Address remived.

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Did he ride around on moped with "dave" written on it, written in sticky tape ?

I met him one time. Nice guy who volunteered and fed stray cats. He rode a motorcycle with "David" stenciled on it as I recall. It was a few years back, but he appeared 65ish? and appeared to be in good health.

Sorrowful news indeed, and a serious blow to this small corner of the online world.

I'm assuming (by the fact that this thread has been allowed to run...) that dave2's passing has in fact been confirmed by those in a position to know, and I can't help but feel the poorer for that knowledge. I'm still half waiting for him to pop up with a photo of some random airport sandwich, or... cats, or... spectacular graffiti ( or... Marilyn Monroe), signed with his trademark: "just joshin'!".

We've never crossed paths (as far as I know, anyway...), but I consider myself to be in his debt, regardless. As I was attempting to gain a foothold during my early years in Chiang Mai, dave2 was an invaluable resource. Always helpful, always kind, ever cheerful, and ever handy with an illuminating photo to shine a light on what was (to me, then....) nothing but an impenetrable maze of tangled sois and alleyways.  Well before we had Google Street View in Chiang Mai?..... we had dave2, and his apparently inexhaustible archives of timestamped photos taken of damned near every imaginable address in the city!

I can only hope that whoever has inherited those voluminous archives has a thorough understanding of the awesome responsibilities that have befallen them!

Just joshin'.....

If any of you who were personally acquainted with dave2 catch wind of any events (official or semi-official...) intended to honor, memorialize or otherwise send this eminently admirable fellow along his way to wherever he's bound, I'd be more than humbly honored to attend. PMs welcome, or you could simply post to this thread, as I'm quite sure that I'm not alone in that sentiment!

LT

Edited by landtrout