Anyone done a TM-30 by mail? ( Residential Notification)

PhuketSarah

After calling Phuket Imm and getting a lot of frustration  on this TM 30 reporting business  as in just be told to " contact immigration "  I called the 1111 center and was told this can be done by mail.  Sounds too good to be true Anyone done this ?

I have a current 90 day notification   due Aug 28 th  But have  left country,  reentered  this past Thurs  July 6th driving from Malaysia staying overnight at a hotel   and arriving in Phuket late Fri afternoon  so presumably I have until end of today.  Presumably ...

I will be  ( likely) trying to extend a retirement visa next month so am preparing for that 

Thanks in advance 

Since my address was first registered three years ago, I've been overseas and have stayed in several hotels within Thailand.

The original slip is still stapled into the back of my passport and I breezed through my yearly extension a couple of months ago.

Asking different immigration officials is a waste of time. None of them actually know the rule, of course, they can't lose face by admitting that, so, they take a punt on the right answer.

You'll be alright, but up to you.

15 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Since my address was first registered three years ago, I've been overseas and have stayed in several hotels within Thailand.

The original slip is still stapled into the back of my passport and I breezed through my yearly extension a couple of months ago.

Asking different immigration officials is a waste of time. None of them actually know the rule, of course, they can't lose face by admitting that, so, they take a punt on the right answer.

You'll be alright, but up to you.

My own personal experience - 2 years ago I stayed in a nice private hotel in Chiang Mai for 4 nights. On renewal of my next one year extension I was told that I was not registered at my Phuket Address and application  rejected. So we rushed of the registration desk to self register. I chatted with the officer, told him I had online registered back home (we have a company log-in with Immigration - although not work now) so they looked back at my own name records and told me I was registered at the Chiang Mai hotel. 

Have to stay that over the years I have stayed in my hotels all over Thailand and never had an extension renewal problem, mind that was over 2 years ago. I suspect now that all details are online available to local offices, now they can easily check.

Edited by LivinginKata

. Hotels, guesthouses, etc. are required to register every foreign guest who stays with them even for a single night. Travelling in-country this could have the effect of resetting your address to that hotel and cancel you from your permanent abode. Bloody annoying!

Fortunately not every accommodation place is  diligent in completing this task. Also going overseas doesn't trigger a change in your registered address. 

There should be a system where you can retain your main, permanent address and avoid having to re-register every time you stay away from home for a night or two.  However, TiT.

Edited by Old Croc

21 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

. Hotels, guesthouses, etc. are required to register every foreign guest who stays with them even for a single night. Travelling in-country this could have the effect of resetting your address to that hotel and cancel you from your permanent abode. Bloody annoying!

Fortunately not every accommodation place is  diligent in completing this task. Also going overseas doesn't trigger a change in your registered address. 

There should be a system where you can retain your main, permanent address and avoid having to re-register every time you stay away from home for a night or two.  However, TiT.

Most smaller places don't even ask to copy passport so they don't bother with this registration 'nonsense'.

Since the Thai Immigration web site has been down since the end of last year (protesters hacking Thai gov websites) I don't think even local Immigration offices have access  to their data base. Last time I was in Phuket office I heard 2 officers discussing that website and intranet down.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Most smaller places don't even ask to copy passport so they don't bother with this registration 'nonsense'.

Since the Thai Immigration web site has been down since the end of last year (protesters hacking Thai gov websites) I don't think even local Immigration offices have access  to their data base. Last time I was in Phuket office I heard 2 officers discussing that website and intranet down.

It would probably work if they actually paid for real Microsoft software and kept the security up to date. The big hack lately mostly affected South East Asia and China, as everyone runs bootleg copies... It would also be nice if they used software that isn't only compatible with Internet Explorer! I run Mac OS for several reasons and it never did work with Phuket Immigration 90 day reporting, even when I tried to trick it in developer Internet Explorer mode. 

That said, I just looked in my passport and my last report of my residence was from December 2015 and they were fine with a copy of it for my one year retirement extension in May of this year. Odd that we never even needed that report until two years ago! My landlord always did a report as he has to pay the taxes and was surprised that there was yet a different form all of a sudden as well as the old one he still filed. Every year it seems like there is a new form. At least they got rid of that Social Media and where you go or hang out form! But then added the new one that you promise to abide by the rules of your visa...

Edited by Jimi007

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

At the op.

Afaik tm30 by post is not possible. Maybe a misunderstanding with the officer between address report and 90 days report?

I agree that Phuket by post is not possible. In the distant past I have heard/read that Bangkok Immigration does/did accept TM30 by post. But thatonly good for foreigners living in the Bangkok area.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:55 PM, stevenl said:

At the op.

Afaik tm30 by post is not possible. Maybe a misunderstanding with the officer between address report and 90 days report?

Correct, Phuket confirmed not by mail. The main Immigration web site says OK but as mentioned, likely only for Bangkok residents. 

The officer also confirmed this is to be done EACH and EVERY time one reenters the country- and within 24 hours, weekends and holidays excluded. 

Also to adding to sheer hassle factor is the house I rent is owned by a foreigner's company. So guess what else was needed- company shareholder list  with  an "original"  company stamp.  Fortunately I had all  the original docs with me  that were notarized- at first he wanted to keep those but I resisted.

It's a very good thing I had a competent lawyer set up the lease who made sure all such documents were given to me. Or... I suppose I could just ignore all the regulations, so many seem to and suffer none for it. 

On 7/11/2017 at 11:43 AM, KarenBravo said:

If you are returning to the same address that has already been registered, you don't have to register again.

Not what the officer told me, but I understand  how there is no consistency in replies.  Actually after going to  room 103 to procure a list of what is needed to extend the retirement visa, I think  many times the real problem is not officers knowing what's what, but simply are so limited in English they cannot convey the correct info.  For instance the young man told me at first I would need to apply for the extension " before 45 days of expiration"  which I commented on was a new policy, was he sure? Oh yes...  Well glad I came back and asked but let's  make sure  " I must do this before 45 days of expiration"  

"Yes,  "

Show me on   the calendar please - oh  so it's WITHIN  45 days of expiration, not before.." 

" Yes" 

Then I  was going to get into the  subtleties  regarding  and vs. or on the document requirement sheet but decided that would be unwise. 

Read this thread. We try to keep up with the ever changing rules at Phuket Immigration. As others have said it took less than 15 minutes, including their computer photo and receipt for 1,900 Baht. Knowing a bit of Thai also helps...

I just show up with all my paperwork completed, know the rules and I usually know the immigration officer as well. The young man is a local University student volunteer and tries to help make sure you have the correct documents before seeing the immigration officer. He just does as he's told. And yes, he was incorrect with me on my last retirement extension. It's really not very hard to do. My re-entry permit took twice as long! Now I'm due for my 90 day report. I have the form filled out, I just need to date and sign it and drive up to immigration. Oh well, do a bit of shopping on the way home. Oh and usually it is 30 days before your visa or old extension expires before you can apply for a new extension. They let me do it ONCE 60 days in advance when I had to attend my daughter's graduation overseas. Thais are all about family!

14 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

Read this thread. We try to keep up with the ever changing rules at Phuket Immigration. As others have said it took less than 15 minutes, including their computer photo and receipt for 1,900 Baht. Knowing a bit of Thai also helps...

I just show up with all my paperwork completed, know the rules and I usually know the immigration officer as well. The young man is a local University student volunteer and tries to help make sure you have the correct documents before seeing the immigration officer. He just does as he's told. And yes, he was incorrect with me on my last retirement extension. It's really not very hard to do. My re-entry permit took twice as long! Now I'm due for my 90 day report. I have the form filled out, I just need to date and sign it and drive up to immigration. Oh well, do a bit of shopping on the way home. Oh and usually it is 30 days before your visa or old extension expires before you can apply for a new extension. They let me do it ONCE 60 days in advance when I had to attend my daughter's graduation overseas. Thais are all about family!

45 days " before" meaning within 45 days is what I was told.  Was also told will have to  come back the next. some other thread  had it being done the same day- can I pay  for same day? What's the procedure, 200 baht discreetly tucked into the passport? 500?

Edited by PhuketSarah

1 hour ago, PhuketSarah said:

45 days " before" meaning within 45 days is what I was told.  Was also told will have to  come back the next. some other thread  had it being done the same day- can I pay  for same day? What's the procedure, 200 baht discreetly tucked into the passport? 500?

A few years ago you could get it the same day, but now that they changed everything and moved to Room 103 a couple of years ago, they always tell me to come back the next day after 1 PM to pick up my passport. After picking up my passport from rm 103, I walk around to the other side of the building and get a copy of my new one year extension and apply for a re-entry permit. That takes about an hour it seems, by the time you talk to an immigration officer, he stamps your paperwork and collects the fee. Then wait for the receipt and my passport. I have been told for many years 30 days before current permission to stay is the maximum to apply for a new extension. Never heard 45 days, but they change things all the time and no two immigration offices seem to have the same rules. I've been doing my retirement extensions at the Phuket Office for 11 years, and I have never paid a tip.

2 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

You seem fixed on this money in passport. This very wrong and could be considered bribery and illegal. In 21 years here I have never offered any money. Been asked and I refuse.

13 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

You seem fixed on this money in passport. This very wrong and could be considered bribery and illegal. In 21 years here I have never offered any money. Been asked and I refuse.

I misunderstood a prior post about getting it back the same day, which I did last year (likely just lucky)  and wondered of there was  money involved.  Post above clarifies no money was involved.  Thanks for the responses

I  have the same receipt of notification in the back of my passport since feb 2008 and have left the country at least 5 times, traveled all over Thailand by car and stayed in many hotels and had 2 1year extensions issued , ( last one, last month)

25 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

I  have the same receipt of notification in the back of my passport since feb 2008 and have left the country at least 5 times, traveled all over Thailand by car and stayed in many hotels and had 2 1year extensions issued , ( last one, last month)

Seems many are under the impression it need only be done once.  All I know is what I was told by the Phuket IO who processed the TM 30,  a phone call to Phuket IO, and the Govt 1111 call center- ( that incorrectly told me it can be done by mail ) and I was alerted to this  requirement from a thread on the main visa forum where comments have appeared suggesting more offices are asking for this- and connecting it to TM 6 entry cards.

I maintain the possibility exists it is a way to harass  individuals but I would have had to get one anyway for a  upcoming extension. 

Hello all. Would someone be kind enough to advice on the following...

I have just done a 90 day reporting (retirement visa). At the same time, I paid 1000baht for a single re-entry permit that I need for a short trip to UK. I arrive back in Thailand in mid September (within the 90 day reporting). I was told that I need to report back to immigration within 24 hours of re-entering Thailand. Is this indeed the case? I fly into Bangkok and had intended to stay in BKK for a week or so and maybe travel to Hau Hin...but now it seems I will first need to return to Chiang Rai immigration...a big inconvenience to say the least. Is there a way around this. Appreciate any help.

Burt.  

Edited by Bert Jones
typo

56 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Seems many are under the impression it need only be done once.  All I know is what I was told by the Phuket IO who processed the TM 30,  a phone call to Phuket IO, and the Govt 1111 call center- ( that incorrectly told me it can be done by mail ) and I was alerted to this  requirement from a thread on the main visa forum where comments have appeared suggesting more offices are asking for this- and connecting it to TM 6 entry cards.

I maintain the possibility exists it is a way to harass  individuals but I would have had to get one anyway for a  upcoming extension. 

1111 call center and thread on main visa forum have no bearing on Phuket situation.

Here a new TM30 after travel abroad has so far not been required.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

35 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

all i can say is the above;   immigration has continued to issue me my 1 year extensions soo.

Edited by phuketrichard

1 hour ago, Bert Jones said:

Hello all. Would someone be kind enough to advice on the following...

I have just done a 90 day reporting (retirement visa). At the same time, I paid 1000baht for a single re-entry permit that I need for a short trip to UK. I arrive back in Thailand in mid September (within the 90 day reporting). I was told that I need to report back to immigration within 24 hours of re-entering Thailand. Is this indeed the case? I fly into Bangkok and had intended to stay in BKK for a week or so and maybe travel to Hau Hin...but now it seems I will first need to return to Chiang Rai immigration...a big inconvenience to say the least. Is there a way around this. Appreciate any help.

Burt.  

Seems like you are getting Notification and House Registration mixed up. When you fly back into Thailand your 90 days starts again. After the 90 days you report in again for noification.

Thanks for the response LIK, I thought the reporting was to validate where you are living...?

So providing I still have the same permanent address (where I pay rent), I don't need to attend ?

I can't find the rules for this anywhere...you would think the Thai authorities would publish the information somewhere.

Burt.

22 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

......as long as the registered address hasn't changed.

True, but that has no connection with travel abroad, since after change in registered address that has to be notified anyways.

1 hour ago, Bert Jones said:

Thanks for the response LIK, I thought the reporting was to validate where you are living...?

So providing I still have the same permanent address (where I pay rent), I don't need to attend ?

If you stay in a hotel etc then they are legally required to register you at their address (although many can't be bothered). In that case your 'home' address is cancelled and on arrival back home within the next day your land lord must legally register you there, or you can go tp Immigration and self register.

The notification is to report that you have been in Thailand for 90 days. 

Edited by LivinginKata
typo

4 hours ago, Bert Jones said:

I can't find the rules for this anywhere...you would think the Thai authorities would publish the information somewhere.

Burt.

What I understand, it is  within 24 hours of arrival at your residence. If you arrive at Bangkok, and spend the night at a hotel- it should report your stay, then upon  arrival at your own residence, you are to make a notification within 24 hours (weekends and holidays excluded) and this is the debate- Does this need to be done each and every time you depart the country?  I was told " yes. "

Adding; But if you are in Chiang Rai, this Phuket thread really does not pertain, I think most will agree all offices are different in rules adhered to - heck, even officers within offices. 

Edited by PhuketSarah
addendum

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

If you stay in a hotel etc then they are legally required to register you at their address (although many can't be bothered). In that case your 'home' address is cancelled and on arrival back home within the next day your land lord must legally register you there, or you can go tp Immigration and self register.

The notification is to report that you have been in Thailand for 90 days. 

So then are we to do this TM-30 whenever we come back from overnight  travel within Thailand?

Good grief, this is how sex offenders are treated.