National Strategy Plan Will Restrict Elected Govt, Politicos Say

snoop1130

National Strategy Plan Will Restrict Elected Govt, Politicos Say

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

201608051307523-20120402141120-768x512.jpg

Junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha speaks in 2016 at the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy north of the capital in Nakhon Nayok province.

BANGKOK — Politicians from two major parties believe the National Strategy Bill adopted by the junta-appointed parliament on June 22 is a key element in ensuring the military junta will maintain control on major policies over elected governments for the next 20 years.

On Friday, junta leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha denied the National Council for Peace and Order, or NCPO, is seeking to stay in power for the next 20 years – an allusion to the 20-year plan in which the commission will be headed by him.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/07/11/national-strategy-plan-will-restrict-elected-govt-politicos-say/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-7-11

44 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

ensuring the military junta will maintain control on major policies over elected governments for the next 20 years.

well the average expat could have told you this years ago; thailand's Real rulers threw in the towel on politicians (who shot themselves in their feet); a lot of conversation i am engaged in with expats and intelligent thai consensuses around: 'thailand is not ready for any real democracy', 'best of bad options','current political bases will only lead us back '

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Oh, the old "Thais are not ready to have a vote" chestnut. 

I do wonder where this disdain for the Thai electorate comes from. Perhaps you feel you are so superior to the locals so as to deem what they should or should not be doing? Perhaps the views of the arrogant, out-of-touch and aloof white skinned Chinese-Thais that you sycophant with have rubbed off on you? Who knows. 

Certainly nothing 'intelligent' in that consensus. Self-important, deluded, arrogant, ignorant and closed-minded certainly. 

Perhaps you would care to comment on the standard of what are considered some of the essentials of democracy - an educated and informed populace, a free and critical press, the constitutional limits on government, and the independence of the police and courts.

Nah, you don't need that crap, we got elections.

Oh, the old "Thais are not ready to have a vote" chestnut. 

I do wonder where this disdain for the Thai electorate comes from. Perhaps you feel you are so superior to the locals so as to deem what they should or should not be doing? Perhaps the views of the arrogant, out-of-touch and aloof white skinned Chinese-Thais that you sycophant with have rubbed off on you? Who knows. 

Certainly nothing 'intelligent' in that consensus. Self-important, deluded, arrogant, ignorant and closed-minded certainly. 

It's the C21 version of "the white mans burden".

Perhaps you would care to comment on the standard of what are considered some of the essentials of democracy - an educated and informed populace, a free and critical press, the constitutional limits on government, and the independence of the police and courts.
Nah, you don't need that crap, we got elections.

Funnily enough, all the things you list have been dramatically curtailed since the junta stepped in mid election. ..

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Funnily enough, all the things you list have been dramatically curtailed since the junta stepped in mid election. ..

Difficult to remember, but this isn't a democracy. This a transition to a better democracy.

Now we have that clear, you can respond to the standards during what was called a democracy.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"...the military junta will maintain control on major policies over elected governments for the next 20 years."

It is no coincidence the junta has been rolling out 20 year plans like there is no tomorrow. They are here for the long haul.

Sadly the people of Thailand have lost their freedom to PM Prayut and his heel clicking military subordinates.

7 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

It is no coincidence the junta has been rolling out 20 year plans like there is no tomorrow. They are here for the long haul.

Sadly the people of Thailand have lost their freedom to PM Prayut and his heel clicking military subordinates.

They may decide to take it back.....

3 hours ago, halloween said:

So you think that to achieve all that you consider necessary for a democracy it's a good idea to go in the opposite direction, i.e. less educated and informed populace, a less free and critical press etc???

I tell you halloween, you're making less and less sense as time goes by. Or to put it another way; your arguments don't age gracefully - just like the junta.

3 minutes ago, Becker said:

So you think that to achieve all that you consider necessary for a democracy it's a good idea to go in the opposite direction, i.e. less educated and informed populace, a less free and critical press etc???

I tell you halloween, you're making less and less sense as time goes by. Or to put it another way; your arguments don't age gracefully - just like the junta.

What I was pointing out was that the standard of democracy here was far from ideal, or even what most of us would recognise as democracy. Of course, you don't want to discuss that as it would be uncomfortable for you, or admit that change was necessary, because that would involve transition.

So keep up your mindless (and useless) blather, the rest of us will wait to see what changes result.

42 minutes ago, halloween said:

What I was pointing out was that the standard of democracy here was far from ideal, or even what most of us would recognise as democracy. Of course, you don't want to discuss that as it would be uncomfortable for you, or admit that change was necessary, because that would involve transition.

So keep up your mindless (and useless) blather, the rest of us will wait to see what changes result.

It was far from an ideal democracy. But the goal of the current clique in power has never been to reach better standards of democracy. It is to make sure their grip on power remains unchallenged in the future. They are at least as crook and incompetent as the previous government, and very far from being progressive.

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Uh, I think "the rest of us" have moved on from the fantasy that another junta would be the answer to any of the problems Thailand faces. It's been done to death and it never worked.

But do keep on defending the junta at every opportunity. If it weren't for you and a couple of other guys these threads would be one continuous junta slagging fest and what would be the fun in that, right?

10 hours ago, halloween said:

It has been three years and all the junta has to say is that it established peace, well organized beach chairs and bike lanes.  It has turned Thailand into an uninteresting place to do business, allowing it neighbors to catch up.

A better educated society would be helpful, but we all know that will not happen in our life time.  It is not on the to do list for the military or the elites.  But you know what ?  Life was good during Yingluck.  Thailand had a bright future.  Thailand was still fun.

Had Yingluck and other politicians had not tried to grant Thaksin clemency, the rice deal, as bad as it was, would have been an election issue, not an excuse for a coup.       

The coup has hurt Thailand, not helped it.