How long is the validity of the old us 100 dollar bank note ?

Yes they are still valid and there is a two dollar bill. 

The problem is that banks and currency exchanges outside the US probably would not accept them. Banks and currency exchanges in Thailand for example have only one reason for accepting foreign notes ... to sell them to someone else at a profit. Since it would be difficult to sell older notes or those that are damaged, they only want the latest type of notes in perfect condition.

On 25 June, 1776, the Continental Congress authorized the issue of two-dollar bills of credit for the defense of the America. Only 49,000 bills were issued at that time. The two-dollar bill was first commissioned in March, 1862. The two-dollar denomination was discontinued from 1966 until 1976 when use of the two-dollar bill was resumed as part of the United States bicentennial celebration. The two-dollar bill was last issued in 2003.

Edited by Suradit69

I can attest that banks and exchanges will not accept old $100 notes. I believe they still work fine in the good ole US of A, though. Mail them home and have them exchanged would be my recommendation.  

There were $2 bills. Never popular, rarely seen these days but certainly still work. 

Edited by Pinot

2 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I can attest that banks and exchanges will not accept old $100 notes. I believe they still work fine in the good ole US of A, though. Mail them home and have them exchanged would be my recommendation.  

Sending notes through the mail is prohibited by the post office and courier services. It's possible they would not be detected., but if they are they'd be returned (or disappear).

If the O/P knows anyone visiting from the US, they might be willing to exchange them since they would still be valid back in the US.  

1 hour ago, bangkoken said:

I tried cashing the old notes two years ago and they were unacceptable by the various 'money exchange' agencies at that time. I would be happy to buy all you have for 2,000 THB each.  

I'll give 2100 baht each....Let's start a bidding war...

US banknotes never loose face value. Depending on series, Federal Reserve Note - not rare except for extremely low serial number, or Silver - sort of rare / Gold - extremely extremely rare.

All "old" banknotes could ( could be--> NOT are )  worth MORE than face value - depending on condition - clean, NO FOLDS, low serial number, no damage on / to the note, date printed, issued by whom, occupational money, etc -- many factors.

Look for more information on eBay - photos of "old" notes at less than 3/4 of original size

Edited by edwardflory
spelling correction

12 hours ago, Pinot said:

There were $2 bills. Never popular, rarely seen these days but certainly still work. 

Yeah they won't take any US dollar with a ripped corner but no problem back in the US. It seems if the currency has the security bar running vertically when held up to the light they will take. I had a 1948 $20.00 perfect condition they wouldn't take it, I go back to the states @ McDonalds cashier asked his manager, manager just says, its ok its just old, Clerk says I'm going to switch it out, good for him. He would make a few extra dollars.

15 hours ago, Pinot said:

No, no, no, never mail them home. I lost money when I sent cash by mail to England. The post office can detect currency in the envelope. They open it, took the money, seal it and send it on ward. My friend never received the money and It made me felt bad, like I was cheating my friend when I told him I would send the money cash by air mail and he didn't find any money in the envelope.

If they mess up the envelop while opening it they will just throw your mail away. They also use a genius way of opening the mail if the mail is not sealed by cellophane tape. They moist one end of the envelope with a little water then cover it with a slightly damp cloth, use an iron to go over it the heat and the moisture cause the gum to give way and it opens up.

I hope you read this before sending any money by mail.

Edited by madusa
add words

Notes from the states (unless a mint defect) hold the same value since 1964 when they stopped using pure silver in dimes, quarters, half dollars and silver dollars. Banknotes dating pre 1964 can hold a higher value.

Jmacken's example was probably a "Silver Certificate" $20 and could have been worth well over $500. Hope it was a good burger.

As for $2 - there have been 2 printings of the $2 iirc, 1st is very old and the 2nd was a 1976 comparative printing and Might fetch $3.