Problem with my UK Bank.

It is not only Thailand that make easy things difficult. My UK debit card runs out in Sept, I arrive in the UK on 1st Oct. I have emailed my bank asking them not to send my card to the UK address I use for this purpose, which is about 500 miles from where I will be staying, and just leave it at my local bank and I will pick it up personally.

I asked my bank to do this about two weeks ago, there have been lots of emails passing between us in that time, with me been asked to supply my email address and phone number.

I am getting nowhere with them at all, so it means they will probably send it to the UK address they usually always do, and I am going to be without it for the first few days of my holiday.

In this day of emails etc, you would think things could be sorted out easily.

Based on my experience (correct me if that is different in the UK):

1)

The problem is, that these cards are sent from a central location via postal mail to the address that you have specified.

They would not go through the bank branch. There is no "general delivery to bank branch".

2)

My German banks would never accept such sensible changes through email.

Email is an unsafe channel.

For address change I had to use postal mail with signature.

3)

But: your card expires end of September.

Don't they send out the new card a reasonable time ahead of the expiry? (like 4 weeks or so)

In this case couldn't the receiver forward it to your 500 km distant location in time? Is the receiver a friend or family member?

Otherwise (for a fee!): could you request a new card ahead of expiry to be sent immediately? The old card remains valid until expiry or use of new card.

I have done this once to meet the holiday schedule of my German contact, so that he could bring it with him to Thailand.

53 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Based on my experience (correct me if that is different in the UK):

1)

The problem is, that these cards are sent from a central location via postal mail to the address that you have specified.

They would not go through the bank branch. There is no "general delivery to bank branch".

2)

My German banks would never accept such sensible changes through email.

Email is an unsafe channel.

For address change I had to use postal mail with signature.

3)

But: your card expires end of September.

Don't they send out the new card a reasonable time ahead of the expiry? (like 4 weeks or so)

In this case couldn't the receiver forward it to your 500 km distant location in time? Is the receiver a friend or family member?

Otherwise (for a fee!): could you request a new card ahead of expiry to be sent immediately? The old card remains valid until expiry or use of new card.

I have done this once to meet the holiday schedule of my German contact, so that he could bring it with him to Thailand.

No 3 Yes, she is an ex family member who I am friendly with, but I just want to know I will get my card the day after my arrival in the UK. Have to bear in mind that my bank will not post my card to Thailand although several do.

16 hours ago, perthperson said:

Banks will not accept instructions via email which impinge on security arrangements. 

It is not an email as such, it is sent through to the banks website, they also asked me for my email address and phone number which I gave them, even now they are just messing me around and doing nothing. Why can't they just say, we cannot do this for security reasons or whatever instead of telling me they have passed it on to such and such, and they will get in touch with me, which of course they will never do.

I will soon be in the UK and not Thailand, and my UK bank will soon find out that I am not one to mess around with.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I will soon be in the UK and not Thailand, and my UK bank will soon find out that I am not one to mess around with.

I somehow doubt they are that concerned.........:shock1:

Not sure if a viable option but could you arrange PO redirect for the period covering when they are likely to send it out so it goes to the address you will be at - will obviously redirect all mail with your name on it for that period?

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8032/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDk5OTIzNDI0L3NpZC9mVWtpZDR3eGZiRF9zclBEOWh0MGdMOGNTR051REE3R1ZfSGo4elBmN0p3cXJWUTF0Sm1PQm5UVFRySVBlWFlPZXN2ZTBxdDI0WVdrUUNhUW9UJTdFQU05T2NqSmVjSHpFQTRlbFJ0bmp6Q3ZUMzMyWVE5S0RKal9SQSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Two options; call them.

Failing that just let the system run. The card will arrive well before expiry and the card can be forwarded in a timely manner to the address you require.

That could be an idea, do you think the hotel will accept a letter around the next few days even though I will not arrive till 1st October?

I will ask them.