Who are those uneducated scumbags who walk into people's houses with shoes on?

Topah

3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . .

It makes sense wherever you live not to tread dirt into the house from outside.  So in this respect the Thais have something useful  to teach us Westerners. The same goes for bum gun which is ubiquitous here but still a comparative rarity in many allegedly more developed countries.

"Ah, those awful falangs - dirty bums and dirty feet," I can imagine the Thais saying to one another.

Of course, there are lots of things they could learn from us - and in some instances already have, unfortunately.

So you think folk ain't got dirty feet going into a residence cos they take footwear off...facepalm.gif.dab9577c4033d064dc584103ba921813.gif

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, transam said:

So you think folk ain't got dirty feet going into a residence cos they take footwear off...facepalm.gif.dab9577c4033d064dc584103ba921813.gif

It kind of stands to reason that in taking off your shoes and opting for socked feet in a household is going to be much cleaner than walking through someone's house with your shows on that have walked through everything an anything outdoors.  I don't think scientific experiments would be required to establish that. 

6 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

It kind of stands to reason that in taking off your shoes and opting for socked feet in a household is going to be much cleaner than walking through someone's house with your shows on that have walked through everything an anything outdoors.  I don't think scientific experiments would be required to establish that. 

Ahhhhh, socked feet.......Now there is a different angle....Feet with socks on....:thumbsup:

Uneducated scumbags?????????   Man, you just opened a whole can of whoop-ass, next post from you will be "Who are these uneducated scumbags that won't sit on the floor and eat with the Thai family"  Jeez, you need to choose better words for you subjects.:post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976:

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Who has gone for a pee in someones place and suffered the soggy socks syndrome...:saai:

It didn't happen in Thailand but one time on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Buenos Aires, that happened to me mid-flight.  Even though I removed the urine-laden wet socks, I could not get the feel of piss off my feet for the rest of the njourney, and right through to the immigration process.  I still suffer from PTSD to this day.  I know this response isn't entirely relevant to the discussion here, but I do think it might add some depth to it.  My feet are fine now.

6 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Oh dear.

1. I do not have a 'physical condition'. My feet are normal and healthy. Walking barefoot did create a physical condition however, which required surgery.

2. The hair entered the skin at the base of the toe, not under my toenail. This can happen to anyone anytime and you are probably lucky or have Hobbit feet.

3. Your cousin the podiatrist probably knows well what is on her own home floors. I wonder if she'd willingly go barefoot in a stranger's commercial premises, such as a vet of hairdresser. I doubt that much.

Well, my my; first you say you have no physical condition " . . . I do not have a 'physical condition' . . . .", then you say, " . . . Walking barefoot did create a physical condition . . ."

Should I bother to even read more?  I've decided to give you a break and read on.

You provide an anecdote about you having an ingrown hair from walking barefoot; I countered with an anecdote that I didn't get an ingrown hair from walking barefoot. Curiously, my wife and my family, who all go barefoot in the house, have not suffered ingrown hairs.  Seems to me, yours must be a personal problem.

Again, you make questionable statements. I have neither mentioned nor condoned taking my shoes off to enter a commercial premise. I believe the forum specifically addresses, " . . . into people's houses . . .". Seems like your ingrown hairs are not your only personal problems.

I guess I should have followed my first thought.

6 hours ago, transam said:

We had wall to wall carpets and a vacuum cleaner...:giggle:

Have you ever cleaned a wall to wall carpet? No matter how many times or how well you vacuum, the filth is still in the carpet.

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

"Education" and "ignorance" seem to be taking a beating in this thread through no fault of their own.

Most of the things discussed are more a matter of what was the norm in your family and country.  Assuming education is a factor, that would imply that choices would be made because of an understanding of basic hygiene.

If that's the case, removing your shoes before entering a house or at least before putting your feet up on a sofa or bed would seem more reasonable than tracking in everything you trod on out in the street (or in the pasture or wherever you trek about) and washing your nether regions with water seems more sensible than smearing "it" about with your fingers and a piece of paper.  Likewise, bathing or changing your clothes more often than once a week seems preferable.

With regard to these things, Thais, and Asians more generally, tend to win compared to many people from the northern climes, in particular the self-promoted "chosen people" frequently referred to as the "soap dodgers."

I doubt education has anything to do with it; perhaps you are referring to acculturation. However, we are discussing this with farangs whose culture is to wear shoes in the house and wipe their feces around with paper.

Ignorance may indeed play a part--both ignorance of Far Eastern culture and ignorance of the obvious regarding cleanliness.

However, what my old grand pappy used to say is true; "You pays your money and takes your choice."

If you want to wipe the feces around on your bum instead of washing it or if you prefer to drag the filth from the street into your house on your shoes; go for it.

It didn't happen in Thailand but one time on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Buenos Aires, that happened to me mid-flight.  Even though I removed the urine-laden wet socks, I could not get the feel of piss off my feet for the rest of the njourney, and right through to the immigration process.  I still suffer from PTSD to this day.  I know this response isn't entirely relevant to the discussion here, but I do think it might add some depth to it.  My feet are fine now.

PTSD = Pissy Toes Syndrome Drama ?

[emoji51]

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Well, my my; first you say you have no physical condition " . . . I do not have a 'physical condition' . . . .", then you say, " . . . Walking barefoot did create a physical condition . . ."

Should I bother to even read more?  I've decided to give you a break and read on.

You provide an anecdote about you having an ingrown hair from walking barefoot; I countered with an anecdote that I didn't get an ingrown hair from walking barefoot. Curiously, my wife and my family, who all go barefoot in the house, have not suffered ingrown hairs.  Seems to me, yours must be a personal problem.

Again, you make questionable statements. I have neither mentioned nor condoned taking my shoes off to enter a commercial premise. I believe the forum specifically addresses, " . . . into people's houses . . .". Seems like your ingrown hairs are not your only personal problems.

I guess I should have followed my first thought.

Jeez Smothers, why all this anger directed toward me?

Post 114 will put you right. Please read it and calm down.

And I don't have a 'physical condition' as in having no feet (your example). For a couple of weeks 10 years ago I had a temporary physical condition as a result of a dog hair (not an ingrowing hair) breaking the skin of my bare foot in a Thai house with dogs. The hair was sucked into the toe flesh by a process that is apparently common and the Thai podiatrist strongly advised to wear shoes at all times in and out of houses. OK?

18 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

And I don't have a 'physical condition' as in having no feet (your example). For a couple of weeks 10 years ago I had a temporary physical condition as a result of a dog hair (not an ingrowing hair) breaking the skin of my bare foot in a Thai house with dogs. The hair was sucked into the toe flesh by a process that is apparently common and the Thai podiatrist strongly advised to wear shoes at all times in and out of houses. OK?

wow, dog hair sucked into your toe, you must be very thin skinned.

oddly enough google seems oblivious of this apparently common condition

15 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

wow, dog hair sucked into your toe, you must be very thin skinned.

oddly enough google seems oblivious of this apparently common condition

It happened to me. I was quite amazed to see what was extracted during the surgery. According to the podiatrist who did the surgery it is all too common in Thailand and he had recently done surgery on a Thai lady whose foot was so badly infected that it almost required amputation and he had to send her to hospital. In that case it was a long human hair. The hair digs into the soft flesh if stepped on at the right angle and if not noticed immediately can get sucked in. ask a podiatrist in Thailand if you can't find this phenomenon mentioned on Google.

For anyone still reading this be warned. Always wear footwear in the house. You can leave your muddy shoes at the door and then wear house shoes. My earlier post pointed out that in some commercial premises 'house shoes' are not available and in those cases I will wear my shoes regardless.

On 7/12/2017 at 5:14 PM, phuketjock said:

Dear Topah In most of the civilised world it is perfectly normal to enter someones house with shoes on 

and particularly in countries where the climate restricts such things as wandering around a cold house

in bare feet.

But in Asia generally it is normal to remove ones shoes when entering someones house but unfortunately

not all tourists or visitors to Asia/Thailand make any effort at all to avail themselves of the custom/practices

when visiting any country.

I believe it is more about cleanliness than anything else.

It is normal in the west but dirty and ridiculous.

When thinking about it Asian are so smart about this ! How stupid it is to walk in a home with dirty shoes that walked on dogs shiiite outside ?

For 1 time Asian are so smart and foreigners so stupid !

Now I even feel shocked when I see people with shoes at home on TV and in movies !

On 7/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, lovelomsak said:

In Canada only rurals and uneducated or no class people take off their shoes. I have been t houses with expensive persian rugs on the floor and people come into the house straight from the rain with shoes on. If you took your shoes off to go into those homes you would not be welcome back because you had no class. To take off your shoes is just not done. We leave that to other less refined people.

What an under developed country !

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

A lot more than walking with dirty shoes !

Not necessarily. That would depend on the state of the feet and the overall health of anyone padding around the house barefooted. Including any animals. Not to mention the cleanliness of the floors themselves.

And the solution is...

Leave your outdoor shoes outside the door and change into house shoes inside.

Round about where I live there are numerous shophouses that have commercial activities downstairs/front of house and living areas upstairs/back. Most have a sensible approach of shoes on in the commercial area, but a few, including a vet and hairdresser and a couple of convenience stores have a shoes off policy that I find ridiculous. They do not provide any alternative 'house shoes'. These are in the minority though.

10 hours ago, Antonymous said:

There has been no anger directed toward you, at least from me. I simply replied to the nonsense  you posted.  There seems to be an old song about you,  " First you say you do And then you don't And then you say you will And then you won't You're undecided now So what are you gonna do? "

On 12/07/2017 at 5:46 PM, Jip99 said:

No.

But it is cultural....... like eating bplah rah, and giving money to people in saffron robes.

And just lately lots of bottled water and very large candles to the robed lot. :shock1:

37 minutes ago, smotherb said:

There has been no anger directed toward you, at least from me. I simply replied to the nonsense  you posted.  There seems to be an old song about you,  " First you say you do And then you don't And then you say you will And then you won't You're undecided now So what are you gonna do? "

I'm sorry that you didn't comprehend the difference between a physical condition like having no feet (the example you gave) and a temporary physical condition caused by a foreign body entering the skin as a result of walking barefoot in a Thai house, as I wrote in an earlier post and explained at greater length subsequently. You responded aggressively and personally as a result of your miscomprehension and now continue to be hostile in your latest by calling this 'nonsense' and further telling me that I am undecided, etc.

My story has been clear and consistent since my first post in this thread.

I hope that the information I have shared is both relevant and helpful to other people at least.

31 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I'm sorry that you didn't comprehend the difference between a physical condition like having no feet (the example you gave) and a temporary physical condition caused by a foreign body entering the skin as a result of walking barefoot in a Thai house, as I wrote in an earlier post and explained at greater length subsequently. You responded aggressively and personally as a result of your miscomprehension and now continue to be hostile in your latest by calling this 'nonsense' and further telling me that I am undecided, etc.

My story has been clear and consistent since my first post in this thread.

I hope that the information I have shared is both relevant and helpful to other people at least.

Yet again, you appear confused. I said, " Yes, some people have physical conditions, some a hard time getting their shoes off, and some people don't wear shoes because they have no feet; barring those individuals, why wouldn't removing your shoes be cleaner.  "

I did not say that the only physical condition was having no feet, as you appear to read.

On 7/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, lovelomsak said:

In Canada only rurals and uneducated or no class people take off their shoes. I have been t houses with expensive persian rugs on the floor and people come into the house straight from the rain with shoes on. If you took your shoes off to go into those homes you would not be welcome back because you had no class. To take off your shoes is just not done. We leave that to other less refined people.

And there we have it... the rarest

Of All Canadian birds

The Canadian snob bird

Very rare species