Who are those uneducated scumbags who walk into people's houses with shoes on?

Topah

Just now, Jip99 said:

You certainly won't be visiting..

So virtually the whole of the West is uncivilised ?

Quite a sweeping statement.

yes, in my estimation the West is grossly uncivilzed and unspiritual in virtually all regards, especially the country of my birth, USA-

much of Europe has bidets/bum guns, and many places one does remove one's shoes, for instance Germany;

many other places one removes them just inside the door

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Colin, in my experience, people from Yorkshire are more fonder of shouting their mouths off, my father was from Yorkshire,
and the two guys I knew very well in Thailand were always shouting their mouths off.
My apologies if any of the decent guys from Yorkshire are reading this, I know there must be some.

[emoji20]

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yes, some people have physical conditions, some a hard time getting their shoes off, and some people don't wear shoes because they have no feet; barring those individuals, why wouldn't removing your shoes be cleaner. 

Cleaner for whom? Yes, cleaner for the building owner who may have to clean the floor at the end of the day, but definitely unhygienic for the bare footed visitor.

If in doubt, ask any podiatrist.

I had to have surgery on a very painful, inflamed and infected big toe, the cause of which was a complete mystery until a 1cm dog hair was found embedded deep inside. The hair was without doubt picked up while walking bare foot somewhere. The hair just has to nick the skin and then is sucked inside by natural motions that your podiatrist can explain better than I.

8 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Cleaner for whom? Yes, cleaner for the building owner who may have to clean the floor at the end of the day, but definitely unhygienic for the bare footed visitor.

If in doubt, ask any podiatrist.

I had to have surgery on a very painful, inflamed and infected big toe, the cause of which was a complete mystery until a 1cm dog hair was found embedded deep inside. The hair was without doubt picked up while walking bare foot somewhere. The hair just has to nick the skin and then is sucked inside by natural motions that your podiatrist can explain better than I.

Did you not even read what I said?  " Yes, some people have physical conditions, . . ."  I have gone without shes in the house for most of my 72 years, never had an issue with a hair being caught in my toenail, but then I do have my toes pedicured regularly. 

My cousin is a podiatrist in Florida, she does not  wear shoes in her house; so should I ask another podiatrist until I find one with a cultural block?

One of the reasons shoes are not wanted in far Eastern houses is the fact the floors are most often clean--so to answer your questions, cleaner for everyone in the house.

23 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

"when in Rome, do as the Romans do"

that's MY feelings, but it IS your home, you're welcome to set the rules (i won't be visiting, btw) :coffee1:

houses with no bum  guns? what would i make of it? how utterly uncivilized to go around with

partially clean behinds, as well as having to touch  the deritrious with one's hand holding the paper,

how gross and unsanitary... 

Google....Bidet....I am posh, I used one with soap too...:giggle:

Hey, no soap, you no clean....Unless you use a pressure washer.....:laugh:

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Did you not even read what I said?  " Yes, some people have physical conditions, . . ."  I have gone without shes in the house for most of my 72 years, never had an issue with a hair being caught in my toenail, but then I do have my toes pedicured regularly. 

My cousin is a podiatrist in Florida, she does not  wear shoes in her house; so should I ask another podiatrist until I fond  one with a cultural block?

One of the reasons shoes are not wanted in far Eastern houses is the fact the floors are most often clean--so to answer your questions, cleaner for everyone in the house.

Oh dear.

1. I do not have a 'physical condition'. My feet are normal and healthy. Walking barefoot did create a physical condition however, which required surgery.

2. The hair entered the skin at the base of the toe, not under my toenail. This can happen to anyone anytime and you are probably lucky or have Hobbit feet.

3. Your cousin the podiatrist probably knows well what is on her own home floors. I wonder if she'd willingly go barefoot in a stranger's commercial premises, such as a vet of hairdresser. I doubt that much.

8 minutes ago, smotherb said:

My cousin is a podiatrist in Florida, she does not  wear shoes in her house; so should I ask another podiatrist until I find one with a cultural block?

We had wall to wall carpets and a vacuum cleaner...:giggle:

When we first got a rug on the floor of our old east end home after the war mum insisted that everyone had to change into slippers before entering the house. We were so wary of a 'yak, yak' we didn't walk on the rug for years. When we moved to Barking some years later the rug was still as new.

19 hours ago, phuketjock said:

Dear Topah In most of the civilised world it is perfectly normal to enter someones house with shoes on 

and particularly in countries where the climate restricts such things as wandering around a cold house

in bare feet.

But in Asia generally it is normal to remove ones shoes when entering someones house but unfortunately

not all tourists or visitors to Asia/Thailand make any effort at all to avail themselves of the custom/practices

when visiting any country.

I believe it is more about cleanliness than anything else.

They're from the same countries that don't have 'rear-end showers' in the toilets.   That takes some getting used to on return home!

18 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If going to someone's house for dinner you can always take your own "house" shoes or slippers!

Oh and BTW it is ignorance not lack of education. A common mistake for uneducated people?

I agree. I have always some "house shoes" in my car just in case I have to enter a Thai house. Though they consider me as a bit strange. But it's not a mistake to ask a Westerner "politely" to take off shoes......

I hate taking my shoes off going into people houses, and more so into offices. 

All a bit uncivilized, I mean why do you have to take your shoes off? 

My shoes are clean, I don't walk through muddy fields and I wear shoes and not open backed sandals and it is a pain taking them off all the time and I would imagine my shoes are worth more than the furniture in the house

Intelligent people express their thoughts with proper sentence structure. ?

Intelligent hosts politely inform their guests of local expectations and manners. ?

Polite intelligent people don't compare themselves to others or denigrate their fellow man. ?

No one is perfect. Have a nice day. 

1 minute ago, Wake Up said:

Intelligent people express their thoughts with proper sentence structure. ?

Intelligent hosts politely inform their guests of local expectations and manners. ?

Polite intelligent people don't compare themselves to others or denigrate their fellow man. ?

No one is perfect. Have a nice day. 

Hmmmm, my balcony awaits..........sad-face.gif.ad3acd86cc8f13aa1b096e73055d9b49.gif

Hi,

How can you dare say people who dont take off their shoes entering in a house are uneducated !!!

It is a matter of culture.

In my house, I would never dare asking someone entering in my house to take of his or her shoes !!!

This is not the culture in my country as in the majority of the countries in the world !!!

Go out of your country and learn !!!

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:
2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I would say those farangs are content in their ignorance.

So not using bum guns i snow "ignorance"  ????? 

"Education" and "ignorance" seem to be taking a beating in this thread through no fault of their own.

Most of the things discussed are more a matter of what was the norm in your family and country.  Assuming education is a factor, that would imply that choices would be made because of an understanding of basic hygiene.

If that's the case, removing your shoes before entering a house or at least before putting your feet up on a sofa or bed would seem more reasonable than tracking in everything you trod on out in the street (or in the pasture or wherever you trek about) and washing your nether regions with water seems more sensible than smearing "it" about with your fingers and a piece of paper.  Likewise, bathing or changing your clothes more often than once a week seems preferable.

With regard to these things, Thais, and Asians more generally, tend to win compared to many people from the northern climes, in particular the self-promoted "chosen people" frequently referred to as the "soap dodgers."

Travelling in China recently I saw someone on the subway refuse to move their bag to let someone else sit down. Pondering this, I figured it was because the ground in China is generally covered in spit.

In Thailand I presume it is something similar: the ground is foul, therefore shoes aren't allowed to bring it into the house. Even though the ground is probably not now as foul as it used to be, I have no problem with the custom.

Someone put me straight about this case though: going into a Thai dentist's surgery recently I asked the dentist if I should take my shoes off outside the door, knowing I would be putting my feet up on the chair contraption. The dentist hardly spoke English and there followed an embarrassing confusion as he was saying no don't bother, but I couldn't believe it, so I took them off anyway. Was that a faux pas?

11 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Travelling in China recently I saw someone on the subway refuse to move their bag to let someone else sit down. Pondering this, I figured it was because the ground in China is generally covered in spit.

In Thailand I presume it is something similar: the ground is foul, therefore shoes aren't allowed to bring it into the house. Even though the ground is probably not now as foul as it used to be, I have no problem with the custom.

Someone put me straight about this case though: going into a Thai dentist's surgery recently I asked the dentist if I should take my shoes off outside the door, knowing I would be putting my feet up on the chair contraption. The dentist hardly spoke English and there followed an embarrassing confusion as he was saying no don't bother, but I couldn't believe it, so I took them off anyway. Was that a faux pas?

The "Gorgonzola" may have been....:laugh:

21 hours ago, phuketjock said:

Dear Topah In most of the civilised world it is perfectly normal to enter someones house with shoes on 

and particularly in countries where the climate restricts such things as wandering around a cold house

in bare feet.

But in Asia generally it is normal to remove ones shoes when entering someones house but unfortunately

not all tourists or visitors to Asia/Thailand make any effort at all to avail themselves of the custom/practices

when visiting any country.

I believe it is more about cleanliness than anything else.

Dear Pucketjock. You are wrong. You have obviously never been to Scandinavia. There no one keeps shoes on in the house. Firstly the houses are not cold and yes it in indeed for hygien reasons. Otherwise you would be bringing in all the slush and snow during the winter. Judging by your name i guess you are Scottish. Scotland also has wet and slushy winters. If you always keep your shoes on indoors your houses must be filthy.

1 hour ago, Ridler said:

I hate taking my shoes off going into people houses, and more so into offices. 

All a bit uncivilized, I mean why do you have to take your shoes off? 

My shoes are clean, I don't walk through muddy fields and I wear shoes and not open backed sandals and it is a pain taking them off all the time and I would imagine my shoes are worth more than the furniture in the house

If you have been walking outside in them, then they are not clean.  It's called basic hygiene 101. Would you be willing to lick the heel of your shoe?

3 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

If you have been walking outside in them, then they are not clean.  It's called basic hygiene 101. Would you be willing to lick the heel of your shoe?

You been in folks toilet with no shoes on to come out clean.......?

You wanna argue with my Verrucas.....?

21 hours ago, Topah said:

But you are in Thailand now... So it most likely was a Canadian who got this bad feedback? Any other countries?

Yes I am originally from Boston Massachusetts USA east coast  almost no one takes their shoes off when entering a house and my mom had both hardwood floors and  $3,000+  Oriental rugs  in some rooms as well as carpeting in bedroom. We  would hire steam cleaners (or you can rent and do yourself) to clean the rugs . No body takes shoes off in my house in USA. I have a friend  married to a Japanes girl so we had to take shoes off in their house. Had German friend in Pattaya said you don't have to take shoes off this is MY house but his wife and mine screamed so we took off our shoes.  

PS We do take off muddy/wet boots if coming in from 3 feet (1 meter) of snow in the winter.

At the end of the day, I think using the term "scumbag" for someone that neglects, for whatever reason, to remove their footwear when entering a household reflects the level of intelligence, or lack of it, of the person who uses it.  I would also argue that  using the removal of footwear to gauge someone's academic qualifications is faulty at best.

Everywhere people are similar in their desires, but different in their customs.

Ignorance of local custom is not a crime, but if willfully maintained it is unlikely to result in further invitations to dinner.

In some parts of the world it can have very severe consequences indeed.

Yeah, but. . .

It makes sense wherever you live not to tread dirt into the house from outside.  So in this respect the Thais have something useful  to teach us Westerners. The same goes for bum gun which is ubiquitous here but still a comparative rarity in many allegedly more developed countries.

"Ah, those awful falangs - dirty bums and dirty feet," I can imagine the Thais saying to one another.

Of course, there are lots of things they could learn from us - and in some instances already have, unfortunately.

Archived