Who are those uneducated scumbags who walk into people's houses with shoes on?

Topah

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Sorry but that is just not true. As far back as I can remember we all took our shoes off before stepping inside. Not only members of my family but those of my friends. This was back in the 60's and 70's in Yorkshire and on the Isle of Wight. Very few houses I know where it was not expected. 

People in Yorkshire taking of their shoes back in the 70s WOW.

I am shocked i thought they all wore clogs.:cheesy:

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Have a bum gun in both bathrooms, never used it once in 7 years, neither has my Thai partner. She prefers paper as do I.

Can't do without bum guns, always have spares stored,  we used bidet's in the UK.

Using paper kinda reminds of spreading the dodo about yuck. 

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Can't do without bum guns, always have spares stored,  we used bidet's in the UK.

Old habits die hard.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I find a combination of bum gun and toilet paper unbeatable. Keep an open mind I say, appropriate many cultures ;p

2 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

I find a combination of bum gun and toilet paper unbeatable. Keep an open mind I say, appropriate many cultures ;p

Wiping a wet arse with the tissue paper that poses as toilet paper, sounds messy.

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Wiping a wet arse with the tissue paper that poses as toilet paper, sounds messy.

Remember it's a (relatively) clean wet arse, so the result is a clean (not so wet) arse and damp tissue.

Once you've tried the bum-gun you never go back.

But as always, each to his own.

When I grew up ( disputable fact) all the family removed our shoes but not outside the house, inside.  Visitors generally removed theirs as well except some who either had smelly feet or an inflated opinion of their importance in life. 

I believe the posters who who have pointed out that instead of whingeing behind the foreigners back, the house owner should have politely mentioned this breach of tradition are spot on. 

What is the point of all this vitriolic nastiness aimed at foreigners in general ? 

Click bait? ( if so then I fell for it as well) 

4 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

We seem to be getting more and more of these "I am so Thai" threads.

It is becoming a contest over who can be more Thai, and yet the only word that springs to my mind is .......... pathetic.

Right on, almost as if they cannot wait to shed their roots ashamed of their passport and country of birth and get local. Not necessarily a good thing.

i wonder how "thai" they will be in ten years. Will they go for citizenship? Passport?

i doubt it

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Alderholt Surplus Stores always had a good stock of avocado coloured bidets for some unknown reason :smile:

Not familiar with that store we mainly used  B & Q  buying a full bathroom suite.

Funny thread shoes to bum guns. :biggrin:

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Not familiar with that store we mainly used  B & Q  buying a full bathroom suite.

Funny thread shoes to bum guns. :biggrin:

and don't forget bidets :smile:

Alderholt surplus (Google them, it's now a housing estate) was the go-to place in Darkest Dorset for the DIYer on a budget.

19 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

We seem to be getting more and more of these "I am so Thai" threads.

It is becoming a contest over who can be more Thai, and yet the only word that springs to my mind is .......... pathetic.

Is l act like Thai OK. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

People can walk into my house with their shoes on............................... educated or uneducated.

and  mine in fact I always  tell them dont bother taking shoes off, tiled  floors  unlike carpet where i come from is real easy to clean.

I dont go into shops that insist on this,its a shop, you are serving  me not making it  inconvenient for me having  to  take off shoes

The hilarity often is that the Thais take the shoes off then give the floor  a daily  mop but when you get down and look closely  at it its actually covered in a thick layer of foot slime like greasy fat, not  only that but the walls  of the house are  often really dirty especially  round light switches and with no skirtings a black line where floor  meets  wall.

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

In Canada only rurals and uneducated or no class people take off their shoes. I have been t houses with expensive persian rugs on the floor and people come into the house straight from the rain with shoes on. If you took your shoes off to go into those homes you would not be welcome back because you had no class. To take off your shoes is just not done. We leave that to other less refined people.

Really? So when you sit around your friends house in January you're all wearing your winter boots? I doubt it.

Although I come from Canada too, and I wore shoes in people's house without giving it a thought. I now find the act to be outrageously inconsiderate and I can't bring myself to do it even if they tell me to leave them on. I also leave them outside the door, but I sometimes catch myself and bring them inside. When your shoes are minus 30 you learn a lesson.

1 hour ago, kevozman1 said:

I find that hard to believe. Taking your shoes off in absolutely any culture I have experienced would be looked at as an act of respect, even if it is not social etiquette to do so. Also don't give that "rural" crap, there is dog shit on pavements in Manhattan and Central London... No this is just another case of Asian cultures being more clean than most Western cultures. Argue all you want, some things are done better in the East.

does  that include spreading verucas and warts? and yes Im arguing

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/warts/pages/introduction.aspx#prevention

1 hour ago, kevozman1 said:

More hygienic than traipsing around someone's home with dog shit all over your shoes, yes.

people clean up dog  shit in those filthy western countries you mentioned, they dont let dogs  roam everywhere shitting

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

In Canada only rurals and uneducated or no class people take off their shoes. I have been t houses with expensive persian rugs on the floor and people come into the house straight from the rain with shoes on. If you took your shoes off to go into those homes you would not be welcome back because you had no class. To take off your shoes is just not done. We leave that to other less refined people.

In most asian countries, even rurals and uneducated or no class people take off their shoes. Even western educated very wealthy people going to a poor persons house will remove their footwear at the door . If you did not take off your shoes  to go into those homes you would not be welcome back because you had no respect or sense of hygeine. To enter with your shoes on is just not done. That is left to other less refined people who do not understand cultural difference.

That's one thing about Southeast Asian culture I've totally internalized, long ago: shoes carry the dirt of the world outside, and do NOT belong on one's feet inside the house.  It really makes so much sense, it's such a civilized custom.  Nevertheless, I realize that I can't enforce it (on my landlady, handymen, etc.) in my apartment here in the US, sadly.  And I would love to smack the disrespectful little <deleted>s on subway trains in the US who plop their shoe-covered feet onto a seat when they're sitting on an opposite seat.  But, you know, when in Rome...

But yes, I agree that a farang who doesn't follow this custom in Asia is behaving very rudely and ignorantly indeed.

Was this someone who had lived in Thailand long enough that he definitely knew it was customary to remove shoes?

If so, the problem was not lack of education but lack of consideration.

If it was someone just visiting here, or newly arrived here, then obviously he just didn't know. In which case no implication as to level of education and certainly no reason to label him a "scumbag". As for "he should have asked" - how would he have known to ask?

Lighten up and cut newcombers some slack, we were all newcomers once.  As for the offended locals, explaining to them that it is not customary to remove shoes indoors in Western countries should help - they'll feel better knowing that this man was behaving normally for his culture out of ignorance of theirs, rather than intentionally acting with disrespect.

P.S. No shoes in my house and when I visit farang-land I still take 'em off indoors everywhere...feels wrong not to. But I've lived here a  long time....and barring family emergency I only ever go back during the warm summer months

:smile:

Shoes is a culture thing and yes I do respect the Thias and remove my shoes here. 

But what gets me about uneducated  thias is they do not close gates or doors. I had a real problem with friends of the wife and daughter  and family members coming to the house. We keep the gate closed to keep the dogs in . these people would come leave the gate open and the dogs would get out. It made me look bad in the village as an irresponsible dog owner. I started locking the gate. They also never close doors. When family or friends come to the house I am kept busy closing doors they just leave open. I do not want mosquitoes in my house but they do not care. Leaving gates and doors open is not culture it is as the op would put it."uneducated scumbags" If you come on some ones property and a gate is closed close it after you enter not culture but lazy ignorant. When you come in their house if door is closed ,close it after entering.that is not culture that is ignorant and lazy.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Really? So when you sit around your friends house in January you're all wearing your winter boots? I doubt it.

Although I come from Canada too, and I wore shoes in people's house without giving it a thought. I now find the act to be outrageously inconsiderate and I can't bring myself to do it even if they tell me to leave them on. I also leave them outside the door, but I sometimes catch myself and bring them inside. When your shoes are minus 30 you learn a lesson.

Victoria  does not require snow boots do not have snow most years. And it seldom freezes there.

As far as this is concerned, I see myself as somewhat of a trail-blazer.

I strictly enter houses stark naked. The only thing I keep on are the shoes.

The number of invitations I am getting have increased massively ever since I started ths recommendable practice.
Cheers.

25 minutes ago, swissie said:

As far as this is concerned, I see myself as somewhat of a trail-blazer.

I strictly enter houses stark naked. The only thing I keep on are the shoes.

The number of invitations I am getting have increased massively ever since I started ths recommendable practice.
Cheers.

The only way I could excuse filthy Western shoe-in-home shenanigans, is if the person attached to the home stomping shoes is an attractive naked female. Also lol @ another dude in this thread using warts/verrucas as an excuse to why walking around peoples homes in footwear that has walked over remnants of dog shit, cigarettes, chewing gum and general grime is a fine practice. Has anyone noticed an epidemic of Asian people with warted up feet? I certainly have not. I mean do what the <deleted> you want in your own homes, but at least recognize superior logic and customs when it is presented.  

My impression is that leaving shoes on in private homes are rarely done other than in English speaking countries. Anyone aware of other places where this is the norm?

Choosing between taking the shoes off or cleaning every day is an easy choice if you ask me. Then again, not sure how highly the brits value cleanliness. That's the only place I ever seen carpeted floors in the bathroom... ?

WB

People in Yorkshire taking of their shoes back in the 70s WOW.
I am shocked i thought they all wore clogs.:cheesy:

Colin ! now now, less of the Yorkshire bashing. [emoji51]

I am from Yorkshire and we didn't take our shoes off when I was a kid but occasionally went to someone's house who asked us too and we thought them very posh !

Somewhere though that changed and when I owned my own house there we always took our shoes off but didn't make a point of asking visitors to. We just slagged them off afterwards ( whilst scrubbing the carpet [emoji51]).

Both my son and daughter remove their shoes in their respective homes but neither make it a rule for visitors.

Of course as we are all from Yorkshire our clogs are easy to slip off so no big deal [emoji51]

25 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Colin ! now now, less of the Yorkshire bashing. emoji51.png

I am from Yorkshire and we didn't take our shoes off when I was a kid but occasionally went to someone's house who asked us too and we thought them very posh !

Somewhere though that changed and when I owned my own house there we always took our shoes off but didn't make a point of asking visitors to. We just slagged them off afterwards ( whilst scrubbing the carpet emoji51.png).

Both my son and daughter remove their shoes in their respective homes but neither make it a rule for visitors.

Of course as we are all from Yorkshire our clogs are easy to slip off so no big deal emoji51.png

No offense meant mate, just a bit of banter.

Being from the red rose county i just couldnt resist.:sorry: 

Archived