Who are those uneducated scumbags who walk into people's houses with shoes on?

Topah

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are living in Thailand you should respect the traditions and customs of their people. Like someone's already said a big pile of shoes at the door gives a massive clue. But if you are a foreigner in your own house I say you are entitled to do just as you want. Got to say we do take our shoes off as we did in England before hand who knows what you could trail in off the street.

"Maybe we should educate people who come from uneducated countries how to behave in Thailand?"

I guess I was a sc - m - - - . and my country is uneducated on many fronts.

Before coming to Thailand/Asia  I was not aware that it was customary to leave one's shoes at the door.

I say on "many fronts" because I'm probably unaware also of particular customs in places like China, India, Outer Mongolia, New Guinea, Hebrades, Arabia, Egypt....etc., etc., etc.,?

15 hours ago, Jip99 said:

People can walk into my house with their shoes on............................... educated or uneducated.

Do you have a thai wife or girl friend, same question to your 8 likes ?

15 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

In Canada only rurals and uneducated or no class people take off their shoes. I have been t houses with expensive persian rugs on the floor and people come into the house straight from the rain with shoes on. If you took your shoes off to go into those homes you would not be welcome back because you had no class. To take off your shoes is just not done. We leave that to other less refined people.

The subject is "in Thailand"

In the UK it's common practice not to take shoes off.  We normally warned people before hand so that they could bring slippers with them.  Failing that,  we had some 15 pairs of Eva Air flight slippers from previous flights that were available for visitors.  I found the biggest issue was with contractors, who didn't bother unless you made a fuss about it.  Here in Thailand,  my wife and I have inside shoes as neither of us like to walk around in bear feet.  If we visit,  we take off shoes as a matter of course,  and at some shops too.  

8 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Thailand where People sit on the floor to eat their food and then go sit on a table after. So who is uneducated.

None of this is to do with education,  it's to do with culture. Why did education even get a mention,  unless it's western arrogance that because the west do it,  it must be civilised and 'right',  which in any language is a pathetic and disrespectful attitude to have.  

I prefer it also.  When I think of the things I see on the ground and no doubt walk through I feel disgusted when I think of not having a shoeless home.  When I watch TV I get totally grossed out now if I see someone put their shoed feet up on a sofa or worse yet a bed.  I am by no means a clean freak but the soles of our shoes are seriously gross.  HOWEVER, when I go to a hardware store and see a line of sandals set outside the shop door, I step right over them with my shoes on.  I am not stepping on a lose screw without foot protection.  Sorry.  

Minor pet peeve also.  If you are the guy who puts your shoes right in front of the coffee shop door and don't have the courtesy to put them to the side, be assured I am the guy who kicked them into the shrubs.

After getting half a dozen Verrucas in LOS, which I have never had before, l try and get away with shoe removal, plus scrubbing the black crap off the soles of my feet is a bore. Thankfully most of my friends wear flip flops at their homes. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

In Canada only rurals and uneducated or no class people take off their shoes. I have been t houses with expensive persian rugs on the floor and people come into the house straight from the rain with shoes on. If you took your shoes off to go into those homes you would not be welcome back because you had no class. To take off your shoes is just not done. We leave that to other less refined people.

Absolutely ridiculous. You would not be welcomed in my mothers house in Canada,  And yes we

have Persian carpets several rooms. Removing footwear and walking around in clean socks is

what my mother expects. I doubt you would walk around in heavy winter boots during the winter.

But then again maybe you do. My mother has the exact opposite view. Only yobs and hicks track

dirt and dog shit into and around there home where children play on the floor.   

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Do you have a thai wife or girl friend, same question to your 8 likes ?

Indeed I do.

What relevance is that to my house rules ?

I have no issue if Thais wish to take of their shoes before coming into my house - in the same way that I have no issue with Farangs keeping shoes on.

I always take my shoes off when going into a house in Thailand, most western people don't take shoes off in the house, in many Western movies I see people with shoes on and on the bed, lounge, and in Airports I see many people with their shoes on the seats , Western and Asian people .

9 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Thailand where People sit on the floor to eat their food and then go sit on a table after. So who is uneducated.

After eating they sit on a table?

And education levels are measured by where you sit when eating?

I have been living 8 full years on my sailing boat before coming to Thailand so I had a long training in the take-off-your-shoes when arriving in Thailand. :smile:

Even on some very  luxuries charters  there’s one thing they have in common: a basket for shoes by the gangway or passerelle. The same people that ridiculed it as a thai cultural custom would not think to dispute it because in yachting its called etiquette :tongue:

People working on farms in Australia always take their boots off before entering their homes. It is a matter of common sense.

In my home in Thailand I am a bit lax and walk into the house to take off my shoes because it is easier. But if I go to a friends home I always take off shoes before entering. It is no big hassle.

I believe it is a cultural thing that has developed from village living where there are no pavements and animals roam free.

Houses and living places it is a given. Hotel rooms no, businesses that call for it I ask them in Thai: SO, do I have to take my shoes off, and almost every time they say no. Although seeing a lot of feet form Westerners in flip flops or sandles, at my house I almost would rather have them keep them on, but in my case I only keep to my family and do not socialize other than when needed. . 

15 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Indeed I do.

What relevance is that to my house rules ?

I have no issue if Thais wish to take of their shoes before coming into my house - in the same way that I have no issue with Farangs keeping shoes on.

So no offence but I can hardly believe your Thai wife/girlfriend truly does not care if someone is walking in the house with his shoes on.

Shoes in the house dont bother I am a foreigner its not our culture up to the locals however a lot walk around barefoot so i can't see the point either way

however more importantly  regarding their  culture ...........having half a fist up your damn nose does upset me :coffee1:

17 hours ago, phuketjock said:

Dear Topah In most of the civilised world it is perfectly normal to enter someones house with shoes on 

and particularly in countries where the climate restricts such things as wandering around a cold house

in bare feet.

But in Asia generally it is normal to remove ones shoes when entering someones house but unfortunately

not all tourists or visitors to Asia/Thailand make any effort at all to avail themselves of the custom/practices

when visiting any country.

I believe it is more about cleanliness than anything else.

Not sure how civilized it is to wear shoes in your house. I do agree it is more about cleanliness. Cleanliness is a common thread among differences between Far Eastern and Western cultures--I hesitate to lump in Middle-Eastern or Southern Asians. Wearing shoes in the house when they have picked up the dirt and debris from the street is certainly not the cleanest thing you can do. Neither is wiping the feces around on your arse with paper instead of washing it off with water. Similarly, not washing your body and hair everyday is very common among Westerners yet even the poorest Far  Easterners wash frequently.  Yes, it is a cultural thing; to which I agree and conform.

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

is the term "anally retentive" often used in your presence?

Given a choice, I prefer anally retentive visitors to my home over the anally expulsive. Less cleaning up to do after they leave.

17 hours ago, Jip99 said:

What has being in Thailand got to do with it. I set the rules for my house.

I know some Farang houses that don't have bum guns............ what would you make of that, being in Thailand ?

I would say those farangs are content in their ignorance.

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

Have a bum gun in both bathrooms, never used it once in 7 years, neither has my Thai partner. She prefers paper as do I.

Think about it--wiping the feces around with paper as opposed to washing it off with water.

Archived