Pattaya "The World Class Resort where no one can spell!"

webfact

A friend of my wife was opening a business and asked me to write the promotional literature. I did, as a favour, and it was rejected for being written in poor English. I've been a professional writer for nearly 40 years, but Thais know best. Which is why no-one ever seems to get native English speakers to check their work. They'd lose face by being wrong, and they'd far rather lose face by publishing nonsense.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Out of all the people who are going to ridicule Thais for misspelling English can write in Thai?

Answer very few.

Fair point but I am pretty sure that if they owned a very large business or ran one for somebody else they would have the gumption to hire a competent and fully qualified translator, perhaps one recommended by their embassy to get the required spelling and grammar exactly correct!. 

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

The problem is that Thais will not accept help from a foreigner.  If you point-out that something is not quite right, they will just ignore you.  Not even the local administration can get it right; Soi Bearing in Samut Prakarn had different signs at each end, one end spelt, "Baring".  As far as I know, it is still the same 12 years later.

At my local resort, there are clocks on the wall behind the reception.  One day, I pointed out that the London clock was out by 1 hour, due to British Summer Time starting.  The receptionist said she would get it changed.  The clock was still showing the wrong time the following week, and every week after that.  Now, 1 year later, it is still the wrong time.

You just can't help these people!

But its right half the year! As they say even a broken watch tells the right time twice a day! 

i suspect that the person who produces the text can spell, and that the errors come in at the printing company. 

If they ran proper QA, he'd have to sign off the finished sign as correct. 

It probably just gets passed on straight to the installation crew, who DGAF

Residents want “CTIY” road sign corrected

By The Nation

b0936c4833536e14ac2e2110ab3d60b4-atwb.jp

PATTAYA: -- Local residents have urged authorities to correct a sign giving directions to Pattaya City Hall in Chon Buri province which has a typographical error, as such a simple mistake could affect the image of the internationally-known tourist town.

The sign which spells out “CTIY” instead of “CITY” is located near a branch office of CAT Telecom PCL on the Southern Pattaya Road.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30320636

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-13

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Suvanaphumi for Suwanapum airport... and on the BKK expressway they spell Pattaya --> Phataya with an H... 

Suvanabhumi, actually. On the northern route you are likely to run out of fingers for the different spellings of Don Meuang

The classic for me was Dr Pinit, a former Senator... I drafted the letter to the Americans who were going to pay for Tsunami projects in several instalments, of several million US$ each. I used the word "tranche", a well known word to financiers and bankers... but Pinit had never heard of it previously, did not choose to Google it or find a dictionary... just insisted that it be changed to a less professional word that he knew... TiT

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Out of all the people who are going to ridicule Thais for misspelling English can write in Thai?

Answer very few.

I don't think that your post is in correct Queen's English either

It almost works as a transliteration - it's all about 'faec' it seems, this tendency towards shying away from enquiry but coupled with the mai phen rai attitude, is, I feel, so damaging to the ordinary Thais' prospects of improving their lot and subsequently the lot of the country.

It doesn't matter!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typoglycemia

Who cares about this really?! Just think this topic is 'overblown'. Is there any farang on TvisaF who really gives a s===?

When I lived near Penn (in Isaan or Isan or even Issan) I noticed various ways of spelling Penn; Pen, Phen, and Phenn. This is a sign on the 2022 that says 'pen'.

More important and interesting topics to waste away the day than this one.

1 hour ago, wirat69 said:

Suvanabhumi, actually. On the northern route you are likely to run out of fingers for the different spellings of Don Meuang

The classic for me was Dr Pinit, a former Senator... I drafted the letter to the Americans who were going to pay for Tsunami projects in several instalments, of several million US$ each. I used the word "tranche", a well known word Suwanato financiers and bankers... but Pinit had never heard of it previously, did not choose to Google it or find a dictionary... just insisted that it be changed to a less professional word that he knew... TiT

Suvanabhumi, actually? I don't think so. Correct pronunciation would be Suwanabhum as the Thai language does not have the letter 'V' it uses 'W' . As for the spelling and in addition to this, it should be understood that although there is a letter sounding like 'ee' as the last letter it is silent and has a silent marker above it much the same as the town of Buriram (ee)

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Answer very few.

And your point is? If you are going to write in a language then make sure it is correct. Just because you criticize the writer does not mean you have to be able to speak their language. 

18 minutes ago, Ridler said:

And your point is? If you are going to write in a language then make sure it is correct. Just because you criticize the writer does not mean you have to be able to speak their language. 

My point is exactly what i posted, mocking other people is ok, if you can write correctly in their language.

I do dispute that the Thai people do not ask for help with spelling.

In my local bar I am often asked the correct way to spell things.  The only problem was I needed the loo before I had finished and they now have a strawberry daglieri on the menu.  Yes I do know how to spell but have never tried one.

Love the spelling of gasoline though - I think I have got up to 9 so far.

Laughed out loud when I saw the 'Laundly' - to be fair it brightens up my day but I feel sorry that people have spent their hard earned money on these signs only to have the spelling mutilated somewhere along the line.

Misspelled road sign damages Pattaya’s image, says mayor of ‘World’s Sex Capital’

By Coconuts Bangkok

co.jpg

Photo: Sanook

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya’s mayor apologized over the embarrassment caused by misspelling of the English word “city” on a road sign, adding that the misspelling damaged the reputation of the tourism city.

Despite Pattaya being dubbed the “World’s Sex Capital” by Mirror Online earlier this year, Mayor Anan Chareonchasri seems to think a misspelled sign could further defame the “world-class tourism city,” as Thai news site Sanook refers to Pattaya.

Anan apologized to city residents and ordered the sign be replaced last night, after a snap of the  marker on South Pattaya Road, reading “Pattaya Ctiy Hall” went viral on social media.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/misspelled-road-sign-damages-pattayas-image-says-mayor-worlds-sex-capital/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-07-13

4 hours ago, aonangkrabi said:

The best transcription should be Phatthaya, because Thai writing indicates that both the p and the t sounds are aspirated. The Thai language differentiates between unaspirated and aspirated p, t, k.

European languages don't do that. English, German and Nordic languages always aspirate while Dutch, French, Spanish and Italian never do that.

I admit it is difficult to transcribe when your mother tongue is English, because the English spelling is even inadequate for the English language. When I want to know for sure how to pronounce a Thai word, I always have to check the Thai writing.

You are right about aspirated and unaspirated but your transliteration is wrong. It should be 'Phathaya' -  only one 't'.

56 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I do dispute that the Thai people do not ask for help with spelling.

In my local bar I am often asked the correct way to spell things.  The only problem was I needed the loo before I had finished and they now have a strawberry daglieri on the menu.  Yes I do know how to spell but have never tried one.

Love the spelling of gasoline though - I think I have got up to 9 so far.

Laughed out loud when I saw the 'Laundly' - to be fair it brightens up my day but I feel sorry that people have spent their hard earned money on these signs only to have the spelling mutilated somewhere along the line.

When I fisrt came to stay here in 2005 my now wife used to say she was going to the ronry . But an articulate ferlung up here asked if I had been to Fayer. He meant Phayao.

10 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

That's rich considering that most sex-pats in Pattaya can't even pronounce the name of the town they are living in,  It's pattaYA  not paTTAYa.  Presumably, the road sign should read South Pattaya, as most foreigners in Pattaya wouldn't have a clue that Tai means South. Alternatively just learn to read Thai, and you won't have to bother with the mis-translations. 

They should have a sign "Welcome to Pattaya, Sex Capital of the World"

Pattaya ‘CTIY’ Hall sign error blamed on contractor

By The Nation

626e88cefc93555d3c781d4ebcb524ae-atwb.jpeg

A typographical error on a sign giving directions to Pattaya City Hall in Chon Buri province was caused by the contractor who erected the sign before it was approved and proofread by the city, Pattaya City mayor Pol Maj General Anan Charoenchasri said on Thursday.

The sign, which spells out “CTIY” instead of “CITY”, is located near a branch office of CAT Telecom PCL on the Southern Pattaya Road.

Anan said the city had already removed the sign for correction and would prevent any re-occurrence in the future.

Earlier, local residents had asked for the sign correction as they said such a simple mistake could affect the image of the internationally-known tourist town.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30320676

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-13