A military shopping spree without a point

webfact

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thought it would be clear it was a joke as one of the big problems with the subs were that they can't really operate well in shallow water plus that I have always been against the purchase of these subs. Fast surface patrol ships to combat illegal fishing would have been a much better purchase. 

Apologies, I agree with you on both the subs and that patrol boats are a much better value for Thailand's needs.  Of course the country would need these patrol boats under the command of honest skippers, otherwise they would become part of the smuggling problem.

The ideal solution is to reform the military and downsize it dramatically, which would free up a great deal of money for human and physical infrastructure.  Of course the junta is not going to do that.

Precisly, what is the point.............................:bah:

Well, the points are: The annual drive past the reviewing stand by the armoured might of the Thai army is getting a bit embarrassing now the panzers are getting on for fifty years old, so we had better buy some new ones. The APCs would be handy in the south, but we really need them to move the troops in the Bangkok Garrison ( you know, the ones we can rely on), the same goes for the new helicopters. The submarines - well the 6pm National Anthem Video is getting a bit dated so some "Hunt for Red October" footage would look really great. The jets, well we can't leave the air force out of the party, and we can use them as basic ground attack aircraft if the buffaloes up north and in Issan get too stroppy...

Have I left anything out?

Erik Loh said:

"The NLA should look into a law to force all military generals to declare their assets. I bet you find lots of unusual wealth not commensurate with their salary"

Hi Erik!  Talk about stating the obvious!.  Even their declared assets illustrate that, without taking into account any assets owned by their families, and friends or hidden away abroad.   

28 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Not the only country to be guilty of wasting tax payers money on military spending whilst ignoring social needs

That is of course true, but we happen to be speaking about Thailand, which happens to have no real military threats requiring the types of equipment being purchased, so the above comments are valid.

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

An excellent article.  My favorite paragraph is:

" They are not transparent, however. The top brass refuses to let anyone outside the military scrutinise its procurements, despite the national budget coming straight from the taxpayer. Prawit’s talk of trustworthy government-to-government deals in fact guarantees nothing. "

As many of us have been saying from the beginning, transparency, reform, and eliminating corruption will never apply to the military.

So far nobody has mentioned the key problem in this disgraceful story of Thai military spending  - the lack of any democratically elected civilian oversight.One is struck in contrast by the words only yesterday of the new French President.

Unusual domestic tension surrounded this year’s military parade in Paris because last night Mr Macron publicly reprimanded the chief of the French armed forces, General Pierre de Villiers, for criticising a decision to shave €800 million off military spending this year.

In words that the armed services deemed to be humiliating, Mr Macron told a Bastille Day gathering of military chiefs and defence ministry staff: “I consider that it is not worthy of you to air debate in public. I have made undertakings. I am your chief.”

“I do not need any pressure and nor commentary,” he added.