Video reveals the cause of Pattaya’s filthy beach

webfact

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"Pattaya dirty secret. The sewers are going right into the water. This includes shit, vomit, chemical waste, food waste, and everything else."

This has been going on for years!  Why, suddenly, is it news!

Moti ....  I walk the beach walk every day, I rent a chair once in a while but NEVER go in the water. Not even to pee like the locals do. It amazes me the amount of so called "quality tourists" that actually come here to swim in this beach. Also not mentioned in the report.... When it rains, where does all that filthy drainage go to? 555 of course, the beach! 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple treat the sewerage with secondary filtration , Next place on all exit pipes from stormwater catchments that carry excess waste from streets such as plastic bags etc. to the beach. Does the govt look at short term with pump the shit straight onto the beach for the next 20 years rather than clean up the water and waste in 2 years and if so the tourist beach will eventually become a desert/cesspool. IF THAT,s the choice being shortcuts then  NO BAHT. NO BUSINESS NO BRIBERY AS NO TOURIST

7 hours ago, xerostar said:

After seeing these disgusting beaches I feel that something needs to be done.

It's no use just posting our opinions here on TV

The Thais need some help to see the serious problems and to understand  the impact of these problems on their country..

I think it's a matter of educating everyone to feel the same disgust that we expats feel and let them know it doesn't have to be like this.

I think the expat population of Thailand should get together with the help of TV to make a  signed petition  to the government stating our concerns that not enough is being done to protect the environment and our fear that Thailand's beautiful landscape is rapidly being destroyed.

The media need to get involved as well since they have a huge influence on what Thais think.

There could be parallel petitions complaining about the other major issues such as safety and education.

I don't know how many expats there are in Thailand but surely we have enough voices to make a difference.

I wonder if a few local campaigns can be conducted to raise money to clean up beaches by purchasing tractors and rakes to clean the sand of debri every day..

Of course the authorities need to stop raw sewerage and rubbish from getting into the sea by whatever means possible.

Don't waste time farting against thunder springs to mind.

??

57 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

Moti ....  I walk the beach walk every day, I rent a chair once in a while but NEVER go in the water. Not even to pee like the locals do. It amazes me the amount of so called "quality tourists" that actually come here to swim in this beach. Also not mentioned in the report.... When it rains, where does all that filthy drainage go to? 555 of course, the beach! 

You're like me I would never put a toe in the toxic waste called a Thai sea.

8 hours ago, xerostar said:

After seeing these disgusting beaches I feel that something needs to be done.

It's no use just posting our opinions here on TV

The Thais need some help to see the serious problems and to understand  the impact of these problems on their country..

I think it's a matter of educating everyone to feel the same disgust that we expats feel and let them know it doesn't have to be like this.

I think the expat population of Thailand should get together with the help of TV to make a  signed petition  to the government stating our concerns that not enough is being done to protect the environment and our fear that Thailand's beautiful landscape is rapidly being destroyed.

The media need to get involved as well since they have a huge influence on what Thais think.

There could be parallel petitions complaining about the other major issues such as safety and education.

I don't know how many expats there are in Thailand but surely we have enough voices to make a difference.

I wonder if a few local campaigns can be conducted to raise money to clean up beaches by purchasing tractors and rakes to clean the sand of debri every day..

Of course the authorities need to stop raw sewerage and rubbish from getting into the sea by whatever means possible.

True and at least government could notice that spending money on water treatment plants over some unnecessary submarines has positive effects on all creatures including human.

But it is sad to say that government is ruled but junta!

Never mind "SIN CITY"............ Focus on this........ Pattaya will lose many more 'high end' tourists from this 'stinky' publicity............. PATTAYA is so 'nasty' and it is not the bars that is doing it.......  Wake up, PATTAYA........

"You can fool some of the people ALL the time..... and fool ALL of the people part of the time...... BUT you CANNOT fool ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME"...................

2 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Never mind "SIN CITY"............ Focus on this........ Pattaya will lose many more 'high end' tourists from this 'stinky' publicity............. PATTAYA is so 'nasty' and it is not the bars that is doing it.......  Wake up, PATTAYA........

"You can fool some of the people ALL the time..... and fool ALL of the people part of the time...... BUT you CANNOT fool ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME"...................

In Thailand you can fool all People ALL of the time.... sad but it is the true:sorry:

27 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

I can only add my screen shot from my video from a few weeks back near Walking Street....??

IMG_5721.PNG

thats it. thats the sewer overflow. usually nothing coming out. my understanding is thats a pump station and the sewage is pumped to somewhere on the other side of sikumvit rd, but when the pumps cant keep up it overflows. basic water testing kits are actually quite cheap.  I'm surprised nobody is doing it and posting the results.

2 minutes ago, Muggi1968 said:

5 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

In Thailand you can fool all People ALL of the time.... sad but it is the true:sorry:

Your reply may be 'Right-on'................ But......ALL of the people Are not in Thailand............ Sorry....

21 hours ago, LennyW said:

These are supposed to be normal water drains connected to the city's storm drains, normally only waste water/storm water would run through these and out to sea, this type of drainage system usually needs no further processing before it goes out to sea,this is quite normal in most countries...

Problem is, there is so much illegal tie ins to these drains that there is all sorts of shit entering the system, quite literally, not to mention the amount of rubbish that goes down the drain along with cooking oil from all sorts of food vendors...

Absolutely spot on aye. 

They need to regulate ? stop all those buckets of oil from restaurants and houses being poured straight into the storm drains and review ? the sewage system!!!

14 hours ago, pattayadon said:

I haven't been swimming there for at least 10 years.  Now, it's just one big cess-pit.  You won't see too many quality tourists there soo ; they'll get the hang of it eventually.

I have rented 2 houses in east Pattaya on separate occasions.  The first place had to have the septic tank pumped out when full, when we moved to the second place I asked the owner about pumping the tank out and he told me that I didn't have too as it was hooked up to the storm water drain.  

14 hours ago, phycokiller said:

my understanding is that most of the sewage does not go into the sea, its just when it floods that the sewage goes into the sea

My understanding is that this is incorrect. All toilet waste or black water goes in to holding tanks nearby the toilet and have holes in them to allow the broken down effluent to seep out in to the ground. Grey water does the same but to a different tank to allow the black water to break down.

I believe the water getting in to the ocean is 95 % stormwater from street drains. But then the food vendors, people working on cars, bikes etc tip all their unwanted waste in to that system.

I am not saying that no one has connected their toilet to the stormwater in the street but its unlikely. You need fall for this to work and in 99 % of the cases this would not be achievable. Without fall on the pipework your toilet would stay blocked.

The bad smell you get walking around streets in Thailand is from grease. Grease smells way worse than sewer.

There is no "sewerage system" as such that I know of anywhere in Thailand. Holding tanks need to be pumped. Septic tanks need to be pumped out when full of solids. If the septic tanks were ever connected to stormwater the area in the streets would stink.

I had the pleasure of digging up an old septic tank in Bangkok and replacing it with a bigger one. The ground around the tank was black from the broken down effluent seeping in to the ground around it. Not real stinky though as it was broken down. 

28 minutes ago, Coota said:

I have rented 2 houses in east Pattaya on separate occasions.  The first place had to have the septic tank pumped out when full, when we moved to the second place I asked the owner about pumping the tank out and he told me that I didn't have too as it was hooked up to the storm water drain.  

Dear me!!! Truly depressing. 

I don't understand this country administration system, it has a revenue of over 1.7 trillion baht and still have silly problems in the 21st century.   Like dumping sewage into the sea and not covering accident health injuries for foreigners.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:38 AM, fakename said:

Disgusting!, Why are tourist allowed to take pictures and film on the beach. There is only a bit of trash on the beach, and I think it is moved around, from place to place to make it look dirty. Should be a law  against this kind of propaganda, and hurting Pattayas reputation.

I guess you work for the government?  I seems universal by comments from the Thai people that live there, that it is always like this.  Why do you care anyway?

14 hours ago, Xaos said:

No bars no no go gos, now no beach, why come to Pattaya?

Notwithstanding the infestation of whingers, cynics, bigots, and bashers on the forum, most of us residents are pretty happy living in our cesspool. There's actually lots more to do here than, you know, just drinkin' and enjoyin' soapies and threesomes all the time—which ain't too bad, come down to it. Relevant threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

But you're just trolling. Remember, for every Pattaya detractor, there are a thousand Brits living in council estates dreaming of how they might possibly live here permanently.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:21 AM, Moti24 said:

I haven't been swimming there for at least 10 years.  Now, it's just one big cess-pit.  You won't see too many quality tourists there soo ; they'll get the hang of it eventually.

Saw quite a lot there this past high season, actually, if Thais and Russians count as better quality than, say, the average monger or yob--which I think they do. The party line, for bashing purposes, is that nobody swims and you can't swim, but in fact people do. What with social media nowadays, if it were THAT big a problem it'd be well recognized. I think many, except for our delicate, fussy posters here, have relatively low expectations for the price they're paying for a holiday in our beloved cesspool.

n1-Labor1.jpg.f2049aee4b5207e1a8fd1791801116d5.jpg

'Course what must be taken into consideration is what we might call the Pattaya Reality Distortion Field. Soon as Pattaya detects a puckered sphincter, it starts to treat the owner of said sphincter worse, figuring he just ain't gon' be no hansum man ever, to encourage him to bugger off. For example, if an old doomsayer, lost in contemplation of the Perpetual Pattaya Death Spiral, happens to walk on the beach to take a few incriminating photos, Pattaya will immediately send a turd floating by, quickly to be the subject of a indignant rant against The Great Satan: City Hall.

On 7/16/2017 at 1:32 AM, Destiny1990 said:

In Europe they frequently testing the quality of the ocean water by taking samples and publish the results in the media.Here its less transparent. 

Many places in the world that shouldn't be a problem................... But over her you may get 'charged' with violating a 'computed Crimes Act' for publishing a water test result or changing their name from Sin-city to Sewer beach-city....... LOL........

4 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Many places in the world that shouldn't be a problem................... But over her you may get 'charged' with violating a 'computed Crimes Act' for publishing a water test result or changing their name from Sin-city to Sewer beach-city....... LOL........

I think It will be hard to improve the ocean water quality without regular testing of the water.

Archived