Why live in Pattaya ?

tuonsai

I find Pattaya a very interesting place. For one thing I totally understand the people who move

there for the hookers and alcohol. However, I don't understand why people who seem not into this also go there.

Like single women and families moving to Pattaya, why?

Is it possible to have a normal life there if you're not into hookers and drinking? Or can we make a generalization

that basically all single male farangs are there for that.

Doesn't all the prostitution and tourism bother you after a while ?

In fact I know numerous people who despise Pattaya because of generalizations about the people there. Doesn't it bother you that most people generalize you this way if you live there?

and I'm just curious as to what Pattaya has to offer besides that makes people live there?

Thanks

Edited by tuonsai
  • Like 1

Hookers and Alcohol, all over Thailand not just pattaya.

its just a bit more in your face here.

Are Hookers just for tourists and expats , don't think so.

I have no care of what any people think about where I live.

why should I. how snobby is that !!!!!!!

Many people marry a hooker from the pattaya bar industry, but forget that a few years latter, up to them. and good luck to them.

Pattaya for ever .

how long will this topic be open for , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by onemorechang
  • Like 2

I think you are defining Pattaya as the area bounded by Naklua, Sukhumvit, South Pattaya and the Beach. I don't personally know any expats living in that 'zone'. I live about 10 KM north of Pattaya in a house on an estate and just up the road from an empty beach. My lifestyle does not involve alcohol at all. I play a lot of sport (squash and football), eat food mainly locally or at home and lead a very healthy life. Most of the people I play football with live on the 'Dark Side' and whereas there are bars there with female company available, it is not 'in your face' like in Walking Street and those other areas that are really for the 2 week millionaire tourists. I won't expand on this though, as I expect this thread will be closed down soon!

• Like 1

Range of shopping malls, markets, extensive range of Foreign products in a number of supermarkets.

Close proximity to BKK and the airport with choice of travel links. U Tpao airport also serves Samui, Phuket etc.

Baht bus transport for central Pattaya which is cheap and convenient.

Good selection of both rented and for sale accommodation at affordable prices.

Restaurants galore.

Selection od schools.

Selection of hospitols.

Attractions such as water parks.

The list is endless.........Why NOT live in Pattaya?smile.png

The traffic for one. Also the number of tourists is not my cup of tea.

Bangkok outskirts have it all as well.

I like generally quiet place. If I want something more active, I know where to go.

Lol we choose pattaya because of what it is and that is a city not so crowded as bangkok and has everything we need as for the extras we all have a choice take it or leave it,we are all not drunkard sobs looking for a cheap lay,agreed many are but tell me if you please what major town isn't the same anywhere in the world.

For me it a place to enjoy the sun and the friendly people in a laid back way.

• Like 1

I moved to & lived in East Pattaya when I retired for four years as my wife is an original resident of Pattaya with a local large extended family. Her father was a local fisherman. She remembers providing horse rides on the beach for tourists in her early teens, prior to them being banned.

Some posters have over looked that quite a few Western single men based in Pattaya are working as consultants / contractors for industry in the East Coast corridor & at Laem Chabang; usually with high incomes.

• Like 1

Range of shopping malls, markets, extensive range of Foreign products in a number of supermarkets.

Close proximity to BKK and the airport with choice of travel links. U Tpao airport also serves Samui, Phuket etc.

Restaurants galore.

Selection od schools.

Selection of hospitols.

Completely agree. Of course, Pattaya IS the world's best known adult playground in FEW LIMITED areas of the city. But as you said, it has all above and

- plenty of golf courses all around

- plenty of quiet moo baans all around from Naklua to East Pattaya / darkside to Jomtien and even further

- plenty of nice quiet places (at least during the week) from Bank Saen to Rayong

- plenty of music bars for the evening (even on walking street)

- art places / parks / zoos etc.

and lot more that I enjoy and am looking forward to start to explore even further in few months when I finally arrive for living in Pattaya. So far, I have always found all that I "need" for living, it is just a matter of looking around and NOT only hang around the playground sites...

• Like 1

What most people who knock Pattaya forget ,and go on about bars and hookers ,it doesnt suddenly end at 2nd road, we live in Banglamung 5 kms from the centre ,but its still Pattaya , there are good schools close ,easy access to Bangkok and all the other things that have been mentioned

Restaurants galore.

Selection od schools.

Selection of hospitols.

you forgot selection of imported delicate food stuff.

If only the hookers here had aged as well as the alcohol.

Edit: why live here ? Because Penang bored me witless in less than a week. Why not live here ? Because I promised myself at least 6 months living in Cambodia.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 2

OP. perhaps a better question might have been 'Why should you have to defend where you've chosen to live ?' Im reminded of the distinction many on another board were happy to draw between 'upper' and 'lower' Sukhumvit, despite the fact that they all went to the latter on a regular basis for their night-time activities. The closer your condo was to Thonglor, the bigger your expat package (allegedly) and the bigger your ego : it was a massive ongoing pissing contest that went nowhere. Live where you want to live - who would want to live in Klong Toey, even if some of the most expensive real estate in Thailand sits cheek-by-jowl with Bangkok's worst slum ? As others have pointed out, you can live in greater Pattaya without ever crossing Third Road.

• Like 1

lived on the 'dark side' for seven years. It's encouraging to see other posters that don't drink or feel the need to visit bars. You can live quite a normal life here without those things - might be boring to some I accept!.

It's interesting that how I came to be here, and three other friends, is that we came on golfing holidays in the 1990's to Pattaya and Hua Hin. It just seemed natural to settle in one or other of these places. That of course was when golf was reasonable cheap and worth travelling half-way across the world.

Although I avoid Pattaya City as much as possible, it does have its good points. Lots of shops/services speak English and you can get things done.

'Cause the Sailing is great !'

coffee1.gif

the opera with famous singers from all over the world. tonight Giuseppe Verdi's "La Traviata" is on (soprano Lady Gaga) and tomorrow evening the Bolshoi Ballet will perform whistling.gif

• Like 1