Expats -- what do you eat for brekkie in Thailand (be specific!)

Jingthing

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Not as bad as you would think , around 250 baht for 500 gram.  I only eat 4-5 berries daily so you can keep it in the freezer for some time. 

Four to five?

Where have I heard that before?

Go for five, mate.

You'll be happier.

It's the MAGIC number.

That's really a small number of berries. 4 or 5. I don't think there is much nutrition in a berry portion that small.

Well for SMALL berries like blueberries anyway.

Anyway ... 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

4 or 5. I don't think there is much nutrition in a berry portion that small.

Well for SMALL berries like blueberries anyway.

I have to add I love boysenberries.  They are BIG and juicy! 

A hand full of blueberries if I'm out of boysenberries. 

Just now, balo said:

Boysenberries reminds me when I am on a Norwegian crewed vessel and they have their mid-morning waffles with boysenberry jam (among others) and brunost cheese. I get into that at least once a week.

57 minutes ago, balo said:

That's more like it.

I never got that handful thing. The range in the portion in anyone's grasp of a hand is huge.

Sometimes I eat peanuts as a snack or in a snack.

I don't count peanuts and definitely eat more than five. 

But I just eat what seems about right. Not counting on my hand. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

I go for the girlsenberries usually........but I'm sure boysenberries are acceptable if you are that way inclined. I remember a severe case of blueberries as a teenager at the drive in. Most unpleasant.

10 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I go for the girlsenberries usually........but I'm sure boysenberries are acceptable if you are that way inclined. I remember a severe case of blueberries as a teenager at the drive in. Most unpleasant.

It's all good but keep clear of the dingleberries ...

55 minutes ago, peleid said:

Yolida Yoghurt from Makro or Big C, everyday. Then either cornflakes with bananas or poached egg on toast.

Ever tried putting/mixing your dry breakfast cereal in the yogurt? Quick meal....

A bit of an aside, some of my set breakfasts include avocado spread on bread, which I didn't mention, but it's actually of course TOAST.

It's so funny that "avocado toast" has become such a big thing in the U.S. in recent years. 

It's so easy. Toast the bread. Spread the cado. The only hard thing is having ripe ones around.

As apparently in Australia, I've been doing for decades. It's just wonderful tasty fat on toast, instead of BUTTER. But no Vegemite for me. 

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/a-grand-unified-theory-of-avocado-toast

In this age of American division, few insults cut as much as the idea that your fortune may be hostage to the menu price of avocados. 

now in Hanoi and I got some avocados (28kdong/kilo at the supermarket, street sellers at 80k) and marched right down to the hotel brekkie buffet with a nice one...grabbed me a fresh baguette and slathered that mother...outta this world with fresh vietnamese coffee...ordered an omelette on the side...

olives, pork liver pate and more coffee and I'm together until lunchtime...

tutsi recaptures lost yoof at the Hanoi hotel brekkie buffet...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

On 7/15/2017 at 5:57 PM, Knobby37 said:

2 kilos of freshly juiced green vegetables and fruit juice. 

Kale

half head celery

1 green sweet pepper

3 inch piece of ginger

1 orange

5 to 8 carrots

1 to 2 lemons

4 passion fruits

1 to 2 apples

1 large beetroot

1 large sweet potato

and anything else i can throw in

consumed ove the course of a day with one main meal thrown in:-)

Where are you getting Kale from? I've looked at a few markets with no luck.

if what I have is not the most boring, I'll be surprised:

Gym / exercise in the morning, then;

Blend all the following:

65g Soylent

30g mint choc protein powder

various supplements thrown in

3 times a day and one meal, usually dinner.

Obviously millennials didn't invent avocado toast.

But neither did Australia ...

San Franciscans have been making avocado toast for more than 130 years

Does this mean that Australia is not the inventor of the avocado toast, as Eater declared in 2016? Maybe — but only because Australia as a nation literally didn't even exist until 1901.

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/1927-San-Francisco-Chronicle-Avocado-Toast-Recipe-11306098.php

Edited by Jingthing

When I did eat breakfast, I'd get a "soft boiled" egg (kai luak) and those fried butterfly pastries (Pa Thong Ko) in the market.  In the winter time in Loei, I'd have to have them fill the glass with hot water twice to get an egg that wasn't completely raw. 

I stop at 7/11 on my way to work for some milk, 2 bananas, maybe some nuts, which I eat at my desk. If I got up earlier I could do better, but I'm not fussed. Lunchtime is where it's at.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On ‎14‎/‎7‎/‎2560 at 5:11 PM, CharlieH said:

Quakers Oats most mornings, made with milk and sometimes topped with fresh fruit like Bananas.

Other days:

White thick sliced Toast and Marmalade

Always with copious amounts of hot Tea.

Staying at a Hotel

Usually small bowl meusili followed by an Omellette, toast & Hot Tea.

A tip of the hat to all the oatmeal eaters out there.

I recently learned something new about the importance of fiber in the diet which I thought would be good to share.. Besides helping with bowel regularity, fiber in the diet binds with excess cholesterol in the intestines helping prevent it from being reabsorbed backinto the blood stream and clogging up your arteries. That's why it's considered to be a heart healthy food.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:07 AM, Gecko123 said:

A tip of the hat to all the oatmeal eaters out there.

I recently learned something new about the importance of fiber in the diet which I thought would be good to share.. Besides helping with bowel regularity, fiber in the diet binds with excess cholesterol in the intestines helping prevent it from being reabsorbed backinto the blood stream and clogging up your arteries. That's why it's considered to be a heart healthy food.

And because you eat it cold, with hardly any salt, before running almost naked over the moors in the winter at school.  Otherwise the cold showers would kill you; or the frostbite.

Back in the day I used to have 10 weetabix between paper rounds, but now a cup of coffee, a good belch, and a bit of recollection about the night before's drinking is enough to see me out the door on the way to work

SC 

scots folks say that oatmeal when directly applied to the affected areas is good fer acne...

growin' up in California we had Wheateena which is a porridge and not half bad as I remember...sugar and milk and bob's yer uncle...I was too young to have acne then...

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

And because you eat it cold, with hardly any salt, before running almost naked over the moors in the winter at school.  Otherwise the cold showers would kill you; or the frostbite.

Back in the day I used to have 10 weetabix between paper rounds, but now a cup of coffee, a good belch, and a bit of recollection about the night before's drinking is enough to see me out the door on the way to work

SC 

You only had two paper rounds.

Don't exaggerate.

9 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

scots folks say that oatmeal when directly applied to the affected areas is good fer acne...

growin' up in California we had Wheateena which is a porridge and not half bad as I remember...sugar and milk and bob's yer uncle...I was too young to have acne then...

That's not quite what I meant when I mentioned white powder tutsi....the milk of amnesia in strong here.

6 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I believe the traditional Scots have salt not sugar on porridge made with water.

:sick:

5 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

That's not quite what I meant when I mentioned white powder tutsi....the milk of amnesia in strong here.

milk of magnesia on porridge?...bit of an overkill as the porridge alone facilitates regular bowel movements...