Pattaya parasailing 100 per cent safe, operator tells media in wake of Aussie's death down south.

rooster59

Pattaya parasailing 100 per cent safe, operator tells media in wake of Aussie's death down south.

tnews_1499958744_4516.jpg

Image: Tnews

A parasailing operator told Tnews that the adventurous activity was 100 per cent safe in Pattaya.

In forty years of operation Sathian Jakkawamongkhon said his operation had never had an accident.

Tnews were in Jomtien making a video in the wake of the death of 71 year old Roger Hussey who died after parasailing in Kata, Phuket.

His Thai wife tragically filmed him fall some 70 meters into the sea. A navigator who went up with him failed to hold on after the victim apparently freed himself from the harness and fell.

Two men have been charged with negligence causing death while they have counterclaimed that the victim was to blame for what happened.

In Jomtien Sathian showed how parasailing was done from the beach on the eastern seaboard.

He said the difference from the operation in the south is that the lines are shorter and the operator does not go up with the tourist. He said lines in Phuket were up to 200 meters in length but not longer than 100 meters in Pattaya.

He also said that the south is more dangerous with frequent high winds.

A video showed a female tourist about to be dragged skyward.

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-15

Walking down Beach Road around 2005.

This Chinese guy came down on the beach way too fast.

I was 50 yards away & heard his leg snap as he hit the ground.

Think about it....You've got totally untrained retards running these boats that drag them, with para-sails that are probably 15 years old, sun-bleached & rotten.

The tether to the boat is probably as bad/rotten as the chute. Next they get out in a filthy bay and run amok. 

I wouldn't expect the guy to say anything different as to do so would murder his business. He probably genuinely believes that everything is okay, but then the guys running the parasailing in Phuket probably thought the same thing, yet still a man is dead. Regardless of how well an operation is run, there is always room for improvement, especially when a dangerous activity is concerned.

Even if what he says is true (40 years accident free) it's no guarantee of safety - the two guys in Phuket claimed a similar 10 year history - in philosophical terms it's called the problem of induction.

He just needs a better publicist... 100% safe in pattaya is plainly ridiculous, whereas a personal 100% safety record is much more credible, not to mention reassuring. Whether it's true or not is obviously a different kettle of plah. 

I got 2432 jumps and that is never 100 % safe it is prediction or forecast ....but overall SOP guidelines to follow.

Accidents happen all over the world but this one which i seen by myself had so many flaws that anybody is only lucky to come down without injuries.

Sad statement 100% safe....it really question the professionalism of those whom said so

1 hour ago, boooker said:

I got 2432 jumps and that is never 100 % safe it is prediction or forecast ....but overall SOP guidelines to follow.

Accidents happen all over the world but this one which i seen by myself had so many flaws that anybody is only lucky to come down without injuries.

Sad statement 100% safe....it really question the professionalism of those whom said so

I knew a guy (he's deceased now), who was an avid skydiver...In Thailand.

Said you couldn't pay him enough money to go parasailing.

This is the 1st time I heard he was married to a Thai, hmmmmm and he fell to his death in Thailand, oh dear, oh my, I am not suggesting anything, as Schultz would say, "I see nothing, I know nothing"

Edited by 4MyEgo

I'd be interested to know why the Thai guy at the water's edge is waving his arms as they leave the ground....had he spotted something? It looked as though he was trying to attract their attention and somebody was shouting out at the same moment.

wave.png

Edited by Belzybob

1 hour ago, Belzybob said:

I'd be interested to know why the Thai guy at the water's edge is waving his arms as they leave the ground....had he spotted something?

My bet is that he was trying to indicate to the Thai guy "pilot" that his passenger had his arms on a bad position. He has them over the straps and then was supported by them; in the good position, he should be suspended under them. A consequence of this position is that there is no tension on the hooks that attach his harness to the chute, and then they can easily be opened. It's nearly impossible to open them when you are suspended by them.

6 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

They think we are stupid. LOL

"They think"????? Generous words today.

Lol.... they can't even get it right in their demonstration for the media, to prove that they are 100% safe!

would they loose face if one were to point out that their standard procedure doesn't include as many assistants?

Or....from the picture alone, in the OP.... is that storm clouds I see ( inclement weather) with enough wind to inflate and fly the parachute without any towing involved (people holding the tow line... feet marks beneath the victim, from were she had been standing... photographers in the flight/ tow path)

Or.... an activity over water.... no floatations device?

yer right.... 100% safe.... they have nailed it.

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

My bet is that he was trying to indicate to the Thai guy "pilot" that his passenger had his arms on a bad position. He has them over the straps and then was supported by them; in the good position, he should be suspended under them. A consequence of this position is that there is no tension on the hooks that attach his harness to the chute, and then they can easily be opened. It's nearly impossible to open them when you are suspended by them.

Finally a plausible theory. Thank you 

If it was 100% safe then tourists wouldn't plummet to their deaths and operators wouldn't be charge after equipment was found to be faulty and operating without a licence.

Not entirely true. Here you are charged first and get to prove your innocence later

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I've not seen any evidence or indication that the harness became detached, only news quotes from vested interests. I'm not saying that the reports are incorrect, just that I've seen nothing to confirm it.

13 hours ago, Thechook said:

If it was 100% safe then tourists wouldn't plummet to their deaths and operators wouldn't be charge after equipment was found to be faulty and operating without a licence.

99% safe.  The poor Aussie is the 1% on the 'Opps!  Not safe' scale.