No More Cash at US Consulate Outreach (July 27)

PhuketSarah

Bank draft only-   https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/consular-outreach/

Please be advised the U.S. embassy will no longer accept cash (U.S. Dollars and Thai Baht) at Outreach Events for American Citizen Services. This is a worldwide policy, and no exceptions can be considered, please see the No Cash Announcement.

All payments at U.S. Embassy Outreach Events must be made in the form of a BANK DRAFT.

All Bank Drafts must be:

• Purchased from Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, or Siam Commercial Bank (SCB).
    • You do not need an account at the bank to purchase a bank draft.
    • Kasikorn Bank calls a “bank draft” a “Bill of Exchange.”
  • Purchased in advance.
  • Made out to “American Embassy Bangkok”
  • In the exact amount of Thai Baht (THB) for your total service.
  • At the official embassy exchange rate at the time of the outreach.

That last one is a bit worrying- get a check the day before and the rate changes..??

The Phuket outreach announcement has more detail. https://th.usembassy.gov/consular-outreach-phuket-072717/

The amount on the bank draft has to be  in the amount shown on the above page.

Above fees are based on an exchange rate of 35 THB to 1 USD

The embassy does not change their rate daily. Announcement on fee page. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/service-fees/

Effective Wednesday, July 1, 2017, the Consular Exchange rate for U.S. Mission Thailand is lowered by one Baht, from Baht 36: USD 1, to Baht 35: USD 1.

The last change was done in March if memory serves me.

Here is the entire email I get every time as I am registered with the US Embassy. I know I had to get a bank draft for their last visit for my earnings statement. But now you can renew your passport by EMS Mail service and don't even have to go to the outreach for that service. It used to be you had to apply with them or at the Embassy. The Embassy would return your passport by EMS Mail but no the outreach. I talked with the consulate about that and he said; you're right, that doesn't make much sense, they changed it a month or so after I had our chat about returning your passport by EMS Mail. I had to have them bring mine back three months later on their next visit as I wasn't going to fly to BKK just to pick it up! By the way, the Embassy doesn't change their exchange rate daily, it's more like quarterly, so you can get you Bank Draft in advance of their visit... And 35 BAHT IS PRETTY HIGH! I got 33.95 at the TT rate last week and it's gone down since then!

Seal with white background

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to provide services in Phuket.

Date: Thursday, July 27, 2017
Time
: 8:00AM to 11:00AM 
Venue: Millennium Hotel, Phuket

Address: 199 Rat-Uthit 200 Pee Road, Kathu, Patong, Phuket 83150, Thailand

Hotel phone:  (66)(76) 601 998

https://www.millenniumhotels.com/en/phuket/millennium-resort-patong-phuket/

Services will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis; no appointment is necessary.

All payments at U.S. Embassy Outreach Events must be made in the form of a BANK DRAFT.

SERVICES OFFERED AND OFFICIAL EXCHANGE RATES ON JULY 14, 2017

Above fees are based on an exchange rate of 35 THB to 1 USD

PLEASE NOTE: You must bring copies of your passport bio data page and supplementary documents requested with the application per the online instructions. These copies will not be returned to you.

IMPORTANT: For applications on behalf of minors, the child and both parents must appear in person.

PAYMENT METHOD

Please be advised the U.S. embassy will not accept cash (U.S. Dollars and Thai Baht) at outreach events for American Citizen Services. This is a worldwide policy, and no exceptions can be considered, please see the No Cash Announcement. 

All Bank Drafts must be:

• Purchased in advance from Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, or Siam Commercial Bank(SCB).  
      • You do not need an account at the bank to purchase a bank draft. 
      • Kasikorn Bank calls a “bank draft” a “Bill of Exchange.” 
    • Made out to “American Embassy Bangkok” 
    • In the exact amount of Thai Baht (THB) for your total service. 
    • At the official embassy exchange rate at the time of the outreach. 
    • Submitted at the time of service. 
  • Cashiers’ checks, personal checks, cash, credit or any other form of payment will not be accepted
  • Bank Draft requirement only applies to Consular Outreach Events

You can show this to the bank:

ลูกค้าท่านนี้ต้องการซื้อแบงค์ดร๊าฟ(สกุลเงินบาทเท่านั้น)
ตามจำนวนเงินที่ระบุด้านหลังสั่งจ่ายถึง
“American Embassy Bangkok”
รบกวนช่วยอำนวยความสะดวกให้ด้วยค่ะ

RETURN OF PASSPORT 

There are two ways to receive your new passport:

1.) IN PERSON: Come to our office in Bangkok (or send a representative with a signed letter to pick up your passport on your behalf) during our appointment hours (M-F from 7:30-11 AM, except holidays and the last Friday of every month), but no appointment is necessary. Present your old passport for cancellation and collect your new passport. If you select this option, please submit a copy of your current passport when you apply.

2.) BY MAIL: Purchase a prepaid Thai Post envelope at the outreach for 100 THB (SEPARATE BANK DRAFT IS REQUIRED).  Do not include the cost of the envelope in your total bank draft for services.

If you select this option, our staff will RETAIN your current passport in Bangkok, cancel it when the new passport arrives, and mail both passports to you at the same time.

NEARBY PARTICIPATING BANKS

Bangkok Bank

22 Phang Nga Rd,

Talad Yai,

Muang, Phuket 83000

Phone: 076 211292-5

Siam Commercial Bank (SCB)

83 Rat-Uthit 200 Year Rd,

Patong, Kathu, Phuket

Phone: 076-340-466-8

Kasikorn Bank

14 Phang Nga Rd, Talad Yai, 

Muang, Phuket 83000

Phone: 076 211558

You may use any branch of the three participating banks. The above branches are suggested since they are near the venue.

SPECIAL NOTES

SOCIAL SECURITY, VETERANS AFFAIRS, AND OTHER FEDERAL BENEFITS QUESTIONS WILL ONLY BE ANSWERED OVER EMAIL [email protected]. CONSULAR REPORTS OF BIRTH ABROAD CANNOT BE PROCESSED AT CONSULAR OUTREACH EVENTS.

For other outreach dates and locations please see http://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/consular-outreach/

For information on US Citizen Services please see http://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

Send questions about total costs to [email protected] or call 02-205-4049.

Follow us on Twitter by searching our username @ACSBKK

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Nice post Jimi, but the info from the embassy on their choice of bank branches 'we choose these because they're close to the venue' made me laugh.

That is quite amusing!. If it's not your bank branch, they don't seem to want to even wait on you or help with certain things. Siam Commercial in Rawai told me I have to go to the Chalong Branch as that's where your account is! I went there and closed my account of over 11 years. I'm sticking with Bangkok Bank, although I had a problem with them too! The branch near the Tesco and Macro there didn't want to issue me a new ATM card for an account at Central! I called the main branch in BKK and got a supervisor who yelled on the phone at the manager! I had an account at that branch as well! The manager still didn't want to do it, wouldn't answer the branch phone and then hid in the back. LOL! Very mature and business like! So the supervisor told one of the tellers to do it if they want to keep their job. I don't see that manager at the branch anymore... It's always something!

On 7/15/2017 at 8:25 PM, stevenl said:

Nice post Jimi, but the info from the embassy on their choice of bank branches 'we choose these because they're close to the venue' made me laugh.

The three banks mentioned all have branches in the B (basement) level of the Silang Blvd. (closest to Rat-u-thit Rd & Bangla Rd. intersection) wing of Jungceylon, the large shopping mall where the Millennium Hotel is located.  All three branches (Bangkok Bank, SCB, and Kasikorn) should be capable of issuing a bank draft.

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

The three banks mentioned all have branches in the B (basement) level of the Silang Blvd. (closest to Rat-u-thit Rd & Bangla Rd. intersection) wing of Jungceylon, the large shopping mall where the Millennium Hotel is located.  All three branches (Bangkok Bank, SCB, and Kasikorn) should be capable of issuing a bank draft.

Ah, so that's why they mentioned 2x an address in Phuket Town, because it is closest to Patong Millennium.

I have read elsewhere there has been some confusion as to which wing of the hotel this is in and where best to park. Anyone know?   Emails to the hotel come back as invalid address. (naturally)

Also what kind of hassles can I expect at the bank getting that draft?  Is there a fee at Kasikorn?  Seems they want a WP for anything.. 

9 hours ago, Mansell said:

If you want to pay with cash or credit card they still do this at the embassy in BKK.

Wow! That's some very useful information! We are talking about the US Consulate outreach in Phuket, so let's all make an appointment at the US Embassy in Bangkok and pay a few thousand Baht just for transportation so we can pay with cash or a credit card! I'll keep that helpful hint in mind! 

12 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

I have read elsewhere there has been some confusion as to which wing of the hotel this is in and where best to park. Anyone know?   Emails to the hotel come back as invalid address. (naturally)

Also what kind of hassles can I expect at the bank getting that draft?  Is there a fee at Kasikorn?  Seems they want a WP for anything.. 

The last time I went to the outreach at the Millennium, it was held in the wing closest to Big C. If you go when it starts, the parking garage won't be open yet, so you'll need to park outside. The best place to park is the area between B-Quick and the parking structure, then just walk across the road to the hotel entrance.

I had no problem with getting a bank draft from K-Bank in Patong. Nothing but your bank book and passport required (just like any over the counter transaction), and tell them who to make it payable to and pay the nominal fee.

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

The last time I went to the outreach at the Millennium, it was held in the wing closest to Big C. If you go when it starts, the parking garage won't be open yet, so you'll need to park outside. The best place to park is the area between B-Quick and the parking structure, then just walk across the road to the hotel entrance.

I had no problem with getting a bank draft from K-Bank in Patong. Nothing but your bank book and passport required (just like any over the counter transaction), and tell them who to make it payable to and pay the nominal fee.

^  ok  thank you for that, any idea what time the garage opens ? I just called Kasikorn to inquire and got the dreaded, " work permit needed.."  I explained I have a retirement visa- oh then  you'll  need a certificate of residence... Arghhhhhhh  Was told  the service is 200 baht. 

Also sent an email enquiry,  any takers on it'll be a completely different answer.  (IF even answered.)

2 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

^  ok  thank you for that, any idea what time the garage opens ? I just called Kasikorn to inquire and got the dreaded, " work permit needed.."  I explained I have a retirement visa- oh then  you'll  need a certificate of residence... Arghhhhhhh  Was told  the service is 200 baht. 

Also sent an email enquiry,  any takers on it'll be a completely different answer.  (IF even answered.)

Big C opens at 10 (an hour earlier than the rest of Jungceylon), so I think that's about when the garage opens - maybe a little earlier.

For the bank draft, just go to the bank and tell them what you need. It might help if you have an account there - I did. My Thai wife was with me and I had zero hassle from the bank. Bankbook and Passport were the only requirements. I don't recall how much the fee was for the draft, but I don't think it was 200 baht.

2 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

Here's my advice on obtaining a bank draft from one of the three Thai banks:

If you have an account at any of the banks go to that branch and make your request there.

Go to the largest branch bank you can, especially one in an area where many foreigners live or even a  tourist area (because they will be more likely to have experience dealing with foreigners and the kinds of things foreigners want).  Also, as the bank draft will need to be signed by someone authorized to do so, the odds of that happening increase as the size of the branch you go to increase.  In a small branch maybe the manager is out and no one left at the branch is authorized to sign the bank draft.  For this reason, small branches, no matter how convenient to you are to be avoided in favor of large branches.  Branches in big malls are also good places to go as they are probably used to dealing with foreigners.

I recommend the main Patong branch of Bangkok Bank on Rat-u-thit Rd as they are one of the biggest branches in Patong, used to dealing with foreigners, and there are people there who speak English quite well.  (It's within walking distance of Jungceylon if you park at the mall.  Exit the mall on to Rat-u-thit Rd.  Turn right and walk about 1/3 of a km along Rat-u-thit Rd in the north direction.  You will cross only one road (Sansabai, what Soi Bangla becomes as it crosses Rat-u-thit).  Continue on until you see Bangkok Bank signs on your right.  The bank, which can be accessed from the street, is on the second floor.  Just go up the outside stairs.)

Print out the following, take with you, and give to the teller at the branch:

ลูกค้าท่านนี้ต้องการซื้อแบงค์ดร๊าฟ
(สกุลเงินบาทเท่านั้น)
ตามจำนวนเงินที่ระบุด้านหลังสั่ง  xxxx บาท
จ่ายถึง
“American Embassy Bangkok”
รบกวนช่วยอำนวยความสะดวกให้ด้วยค่ะ

which, in English means:

This customer wants to buy a bank draft.
(Thai Baht only)
According to the amount specified:  xxxx Baht
Pay to
"American Embassy Bangkok"
Please help me with it.

Obviously, you need to replace the "xxxx" with the amount in Thai Baht you require.

Know the difference between a bank draft (แบงค์ดร๊าฟ) and a cashier's check (แคชเชียร์เช็ค).  The basic differences are in the cost to get and the cost to cash.

A bank draft costs about 0.1% of the amount of the check and costs nothing for the receiving party to cash.  While the cost is variable I imagine there is a minimum fee assessed in the neighborhood of 100-200 Baht (depending on the bank involved).

A cashier's check cost about 20 Baht (flat fee) and costs the receiving party about 0.1% of the amount of the check to cash.

The American Embassy wants a bank draft only.

If the Thai bank wants to charge you only 20 Baht, be very suspicious that you are getting a cashier's check rather than a bank draft.  This is why I show the teller the note in Thai, which asks for a bank draft.  Less chance of misunderstanding.  Easier for the teller to know exactly what you want.  Easier for you to get exactly what you want.  Help others to help you.:smile:

You will want to have your passport with you.  You will also want to have your yellow house book (Tabian Bahn) with you (if you have one) because it shows your address.  Again, for the same reason, it is good to have other evidence of your address (Thai driver's license has it on the back in Thai, utility bills you have received in the mail, the TM-30 Notification of Address for 90 Day Report receipt you may have stapled in your passport).  You don't have to show any of this to them unless they ask for proof of your address.  If they want to see a Work Permit or a certificate of residency from immigration show them your other proofs of address.  

You can do all of this well in advance of the embassy outreach event since the exchange rate for the event has already been set (it only gets updated on a quarterly basis).  Don't leave it to the last minute or the day of the event.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Here's my advice on obtaining a bank draft from one of the three Thai banks:

If you have an account at any of the banks go to that branch and make your request there.

Go to the largest branch bank you can, especially one in an area where many foreigners live or even a  tourist area (because they will be more likely to have experience dealing with foreigners and the kinds of things foreigners want).  Also, as the bank draft will need to be signed by someone authorized to do so, the odds of that happening increase as the size of the branch you go to increase.  In a small branch maybe the manager is out and no one left at the branch is authorized to sign the bank draft.  For this reason, small branches, no matter how convenient to you are to be avoided in favor of large branches.  Branches in big malls are also good places to go as they are probably used to dealing with foreigners.

I recommend the main Patong branch of Bangkok Bank on Rat-u-thit Rd as they are one of the biggest branches in Patong, used to dealing with foreigners, and there are people there who speak English quite well.  (It's within walking distance of Jungceylon if you park at the mall.  Exit the mall on to Rat-u-thit Rd.  Turn right and walk about 1/3 of a km along Rat-u-thit Rd in the north direction.  You will cross only one road (Sansabai, what Soi Bangla becomes as it crosses Rat-u-thit).  Continue on until you see Bangkok Bank signs on your right.  The bank, which can be accessed from the street, is on the second floor.  Just go up the outside stairs.)

Print out the following, take with you, and give to the teller at the branch:

which, in English means:

Obviously, you need to replace the "xxxx" with the amount in Thai Baht you require.

Know the difference between a bank draft (แบงค์ดร๊าฟ) and a cashier's check (แคชเชียร์เช็ค).  The basic differences are in the cost to get and the cost to cash.

A bank draft costs about 0.1% of the amount of the check and costs nothing for the receiving party to cash.  While the cost is variable I imagine there is a minimum fee assessed in the neighborhood of 100-200 Baht (depending on the bank involved).

A cashier's check cost about 20 Baht (flat fee) and costs the receiving party about 0.1% of the amount of the check to cash.

The American Embassy wants a bank draft only.

If the Thai bank wants to charge you only 20 Baht, be very suspicious that you are getting a cashier's check rather than a bank draft.  This is why I show the teller the note in Thai, which asks for a bank draft.  Less chance of misunderstanding.  Easier for the teller to know exactly what you want.  Easier for you to get exactly what you want.  Help others to help you.:smile:

You will want to have your passport with you.  You will also want to have your yellow house book (Tabian Bahn) with you (if you have one) because it shows your address.  Again, for the same reason, it is good to have other evidence of your address (Thai driver's license has it on the back in Thai, utility bills you have received in the mail, the TM-30 Notification of Address for 90 Day Report receipt you may have stapled in your passport).  You don't have to show any of this to them unless they ask for proof of your address.  If they want to see a Work Permit or a certificate of residency from immigration show them your other proofs of address.  

You can do all of this well in advance of the embassy outreach event since the exchange rate for the event has already been set (it only gets updated on a quarterly basis).  Don't leave it to the last minute or the day of the event.

Good luck!

Thank you, so much. Your post is quite possibly the most helpful I have ever seen, especially about cashiers vs bank draft.  Cheers!

10 hours ago, DrDave said:

Big C opens at 10 (an hour earlier than the rest of Jungceylon), so I think that's about when the garage opens - maybe a little earlier.

For the bank draft, just go to the bank and tell them what you need. It might help if you have an account there - I did. My Thai wife was with me and I had zero hassle from the bank. Bankbook and Passport were the only requirements. I don't recall how much the fee was for the draft, but I don't think it was 200 baht.

Yep, after getting frustrated with SCB in Rawai, I just came back home and went online and transferred money to my wife's account at Bangkok Bank. She went to the local Rawai branch where she knows the manager and got it done. I printed out the instructions that the US Consulate Outreach sent me in the email I posted earlier. I don't remember if there was a change, if there was it was maybe 100 Baht. 

Phuketsarah: Life is really easy here unless you make it complicated for yourself! I don't fret the small things and and I don't have any big things to deal with here. As they told me years ago; you're not in Kansas any more! Enjoy! 200 Baht is about $6! What's it cost you for a Bank Check in the US? I get them free, but that's because I'm a preferred platinum client. I'm not here! I'm a cheap farang!

On 7/18/2017 at 9:12 PM, Jimi007 said:

Yep, after getting frustrated with SCB in Rawai, I just came back home and went online and transferred money to my wife's account at Bangkok Bank. She went to the local Rawai branch where she knows the manager and got it done. I printed out the instructions that the US Consulate Outreach sent me in the email I posted earlier. I don't remember if there was a change, if there was it was maybe 100 Baht. 

Phuketsarah: Life is really easy here unless you make it complicated for yourself! I don't fret the small things and and I don't have any big things to deal with here. As they told me years ago; you're not in Kansas any more! Enjoy! 200 Baht is about $6! What's it cost you for a Bank Check in the US? I get them free, but that's because I'm a preferred platinum client. I'm not here! I'm a cheap farang!

I don't recall fretting  about a  200 baht fee, which  turned out to be only 30 baht which,  yeah might be fretting about later- we'll see.  

Update

After the only  place I know of to get things printed out turned out to have closed last month and not having the convenience of an i phone,  I got frustrated also at two banks today. Finally called the ACS while at SCB in the mall -  and was assured  the "Sola of Exchange" was what was needed- and is what I got- although it does go against what Skatewash advised  regarding a 200 baht fee.

I'm going to send a pic of it to ACS to make sure.  This will be paying for a notary  fee  1, 750,  maybe that is the explanation for why so much cheaper ( please let it be..) 

Also had explained to me EACH BANK calls it something different. What fun, learned a new word though  "Sola"   Sola perplexus..

As for "really easy",  and not in Kansas you must consider  your wife helps you, I don't have that option- but I would in Kansas..

Just now, PhuketSarah said:

I don't recall fretting  about a  200 baht fee, which  turned out to be only 30 baht which,  yeah might be fretting about later- we'll see.  

Update

After the only  place I know of to get things printed out turned out to have closed last month and not having the convenience of an i phone,  I got frustrated also at two banks today. Finally called the ACS while at SCB in the mall -  and was assured  the "Sola of Exchange" was what was needed- and is what I got- although it does go against what Skatewash advised  regarding a 200 baht fee.

I'm going to send a pic of it to ACS to make sure.  This will be paying for a notary  fee  1, 750,  maybe that is the explanation for why so much cheaper ( please let it be..) 

Also had explained to me EACH BANK calls it something different. What fun, learned a new word though  "Sola"   Sola perplexus..

As for "really easy",  and not in Kansas you must consider  your wife helps you, I don't have that option- but I would in Kansas..

I think you probably ended up with the right thing, although getting confirmation from ACS will be best.  I didn't realize there was so much variability in what the bank draft would be called.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. 

Here's the key point, I think.  The ACS wants to receive something that is as good as cash, but not actual cash.  In other words, when cashing the bank draft (aka Bill of Exchange, Sola of Exchange) the ACS does not want to be charged any fee.  Instead, any fee gets charged to you when you obtain the bank draft.  The cashier's check (which I'm sure is probably called other names by each bank) works the opposite way, a small nominal flat fee (say 20 Baht) upfront to obtain one, while the party cashing it may have to pay a fee of 0.1% of the amount of the check on the backend.  The ACS does not want to incur this fee.

I was unsuccessful finding out the fees charged by the various banks for their equivalent of a bank draft.  Since in my understanding it is a variable fee (0.1% of the amount), it seems reasonable to me to think that there must be some sort of minimum fee.  As said, I can't find information on what this fee is for each bank.  Since you paid 30 Baht for your Sola of Exchange at SCB it may be that 30 Baht is the minimum fee (0.1% of 1,750 being 1.75 Baht, which would be below that minimum amount).  My reference to 100-200 Baht is a guess, not being able to find out the proper fee.

6 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

Update

My wife only helped me after my problem with SCB and having a dog attack me on my way home from SCB causing me to fall on my motorbike, right on my hip replacement and was unable to walk. I guess I left that part out. I do all the paperwork for my visa, visa extensions, lease and bank accounts. I also did all the paperwork to get my wife a USA Green Card. Plus having cars, motorcycles and houses in two countries, export and import permits for my dog to travel with us. I guess I just love paperwork! More like I hate to pay someone for something I can do myself.

On 7/21/2017 at 7:45 PM, skatewash said:

I think you probably ended up with the right thing, although getting confirmation from ACS will be best.  I didn't realize there was so much variability in what the bank draft would be called.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. 

Here's the key point, I think.  The ACS wants to receive something that is as good as cash, but not actual cash.  In other words, when cashing the bank draft (aka Bill of Exchange, Sola of Exchange) the ACS does not want to be charged any fee.  Instead, any fee gets charged to you when you obtain the bank draft.  The cashier's check (which I'm sure is probably called other names by each bank) works the opposite way, a small nominal flat fee (say 20 Baht) upfront to obtain one, while the party cashing it may have to pay a fee of 0.1% of the amount of the check on the backend.  The ACS does not want to incur this fee.

I was unsuccessful finding out the fees charged by the various banks for their equivalent of a bank draft.  Since in my understanding it is a variable fee (0.1% of the amount), it seems reasonable to me to think that there must be some sort of minimum fee.  As said, I can't find information on what this fee is for each bank.  Since you paid 30 Baht for your Sola of Exchange at SCB it may be that 30 Baht is the minimum fee (0.1% of 1,750 being 1.75 Baht, which would be below that minimum amount).  My reference to 100-200 Baht is a guess, not being able to find out the proper fee.

I sent an email  to ACS  so shall update the thread when I hear back,

Re 200 baht  I had called  Kasikorn Customer Service, who called my local branch and called me back to inform me it was a 200 baht fee 

Then I get this from Kasikorn  from an email query ;

Referring to your enquiry regarding draft fee, we would like to inform that the fee charge is 0.10 % of the draft amount or a minimum charge of 20 Baht per draft, therefore, the fee for draft amount 1750 Baht is minimum rate on 20 Baht.

To issue a draft, you are able to contact any convenient branches by paying cash or deduct the money from your Kbank saving account which you have to prepare passport and Kbank passbook along with you...

So not out of the Hassle-Woods  yet.

Mrs. Kidd has an account with Bangkok Bank, so we went to the main branch in Patong with plenty of parking in the back. It is a "bank draft" and all the information is filled out by the bank. We were charged 10 Baht for an 1800 Baht draft. All very easy, we were in/out in 5 minutes. The draft was accepted by the last US Embassy Outreach service with no problems.

Kidd

To recap "The Strange Case of the Elusive Bank Draft:"

The US Consular outreach events now only accept payment of all fees in "bank draft" form issued from one of three banks: Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, or Kasikorn Bank.

Larger branches of each of these banks should be able to issue you a "bank draft" regardless of whether you have an account with that bank, but you will probably need to show a passport for identification purposes.

Depending on the bank, you should request a "bank draft," "sola of exchange," or "bill of exchange." (Note: that you don't want a cashier's check.)

In general terms, the fee for a "bank draft" is 0.1% of the amount of the draft, unless that is below a minimum threshold, in which case the minimum fee is charged.

The idea of a "bank draft" is that the party obtaining the "bank draft" pays all associated fees up front.  The party subsequently cashing the "bank draft" pays no additional fees.

It would appear from previous posts that the following is true:

Bangkok Bank

What the "bank draft" is called:  a draft (ดร๊าฟท์  in Thai, which is just a transliteration of the English word "draft")

What the "bank draft" costs:  a fee equal to 0.1% of the amount of the draft, or a minimum fee which might be as low as 10 Baht (whichever is greater)

Siam Commerical Bank

What the "bank draft" is called:  "sola of exchange" (ดร๊าฟท์เดียวฉบับ in Thai; literally, "single edition draft" in English).  Note that the "sola of exchange" when issued will have written on it "Draft" (ดร๊าฟท์).

What the "bank draft" costs:  a fee equal to 0.1% of the amount of the draft, or a minimum fee which might be as low as 30 Baht (whichever is greater)

Kasikorn Bank

What the "bank draft" is called:  "draft" (according to SCB bank) or
"bill of exchange" (according to the US Consular event notice)

What the "bank draft" costs:  a fee equal to 0.1% of the amount of the draft, 
or a minimum fee the amount of which is unknown to me (whichever is greater)

On July 17, 2017 at 9:35 PM, Jimi007 said:

Wow! That's some very useful information! We are talking about the US Consulate outreach in Phuket, so let's all make an appointment at the US Embassy in Bangkok and pay a few thousand Baht just for transportation so we can pay with cash or a credit card! I'll keep that helpful hint in mind! 

Well Jimi some of us pass through BKK periodically which adds to the convenience.  People were complaining about not being able to pay with cash or c.c. I was pointing out an alternative. But I am amused by your sarcasm.

Just a little surprised that there's so much discussion regarding the "no cash" policy at this particular point in time, given that this has been in place since the beginning of the year and has been well-publicized in advance of each event.

The last Outreach I attended was in March and of the 30+ people entering the room and having their paperwork checked while I was there, only 1 was turned away for not having a bank draft. Didn't seem to be much of an issue for the 95+% who showed up with the correct form of payment. :)

4 hours ago, DrDave said:

Just a little surprised that there's so much discussion regarding the "no cash" policy at this particular point in time, given that this has been in place since the beginning of the year and has been well-publicized in advance of each event.

The last Outreach I attended was in March and of the 30+ people entering the room and having their paperwork checked while I was there, only 1 was turned away for not having a bank draft. Didn't seem to be much of an issue for the 95+% who showed up with the correct form of payment. :)

I have to agree! I was there as well. No issues. If you signup for the Embassy emails, and follow what was said in the email you knew about the requirements in advance. Although they did just let us know maybe a month or so in advance back in March... There was a page to print out that had in Thai what was required from all three banks they accepted the bank drafts from. By the way, I was the one limping in after bruising my hip replacement in a spill on my bike. My wife came with me in the car. The hotel staff were great and offered to help or get a wheel chair. I limped on, after thanking them. The Embassy makes a killing a $50 US for a stamp and signature! Less than 5 minutes. No wonder they always stay at the nicest hotels! But a MUCH better alternative than a day trip to Bangkok!

Archived