Junta failed to achieve reconciliation: poll

rooster59

Junta failed to achieve reconciliation: poll

By THE SUNDAY NATION

309b3ab28feba1c3f32c1444e2ac0a84.jpeg

AFTER THREE years of attempts to bring about national reconciliation by the military-installed regime, more than 70 per cent of people remain concerned about long-standing political division and believe that the junta has failed to achieve this primary goal, an opinion survey has found.

Disharmony in politics (70.5 per cent) was top among the five concerns 1,278 people expressed in a survey conducted by Suan Dusit Poll during the past week and released yesterday.

Coming second and third on the list were the behaviour of politicians and their comments on current politics. More than two-thirds, or 68.7 per cent, of the poll respondents said that politicians were inclined to abuse their power for their own ends, and that they often set a bad example due to their verbal abuse. Some 66.98 per cent of the people surveyed believed that politicians’ comments were not constructive and provoked further political conflict.

The second-last and last of the five concerns related to the election road map and the legislation of organic laws. Some 57.76 per cent of respondents were afraid that the election would be postponed as the process was still unclear and politicians were still debating the new voting system.

More than half of the people, 53.68 per cent, said they had no knowledge of the organic laws because there were so many pieces of legislation, and they were concerned that the laws would not be completed in time for the election. The respondents were also uncertain of the transparency of the legislation.

The poll also asked what people wanted to see in Thai politics today, and the first of the top five responses was harmony – 84.66 per cent. Progress and a healthy economy came second, at 71.63 per cent, while clean and corruption-free politics was third with 69.25 percent.

The fourth thing people wanted to see in politics was democracy and inclusive participation (64.87 per cent). Finally, people wanted to see new blood in politics and politicians who would be more constructive (63.07 per cent).

Meanwhile, authorities have continued with their efforts to bring about national reconciliation. The Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) has invited major political camps and parties to participate in a final seminar on the so-called social contract for national reconciliation tomorrow.

The seminar, in which the Isoc is to discuss the harmony pact with participants, will be held at the First Army Area command in Bangkok as well as other military barracks in all regions from tomorrow to Thursday.

Isoc spokesman Colonel Peerawatch Sangtong said he expected some 500 people to join the session in Bangkok. Among the participants, besides the political groups, are NGOs and concerned public members.

The agency has prepared and got everything in place for the seminar on the social contract, the spokesman said. So, it had invited all people who had contributed to the pact’s creation since the scheme kick-started in February to join the session again for a final brush up before submitting it to the reform and reconciliation committee, he added.

Similar sessions are to be held this week at the regional Army commands in Nakhon Ratchasima in the Northeast, Phitsanulok in the North and Nakhon Si Thammarat in the South.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30320855

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-16

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

".....politicians were inclined to abuse their power for their own ends, and that they often set a bad example due to their verbal abuse".

Due to their verbal abuse? Surely that wouldn't be a reference to PM Prayut Chan - o -cha would it? 

untitled.png

Edited by Cadbury

It is a blessing that the Junta are in charge and Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha is in the top job. He has worked hard, however some farang just want to throw mud at any news article whether it's a new project being planned or anything to do with his work.

Who kept the media and thai's continuously informed with running TV broadcasts every friday night then daily in some cases.

Who represented Thailand at the UN General assembly and spoke in front of the US president and officials. Do you really think his predecessors were even near professional enough to do what he did ... ?

Who managed to get the China-Thai high speed rail project up and running with 80% going to Thai contractors.

Who cleaned up areas of Sukhumvit which were once plagued by street carts and almost impassable to pedestrians.

Who is looking to implement road safety rules with the banning of persons riding in the back of pickups.

Who is chasing previously convicted criminals to recover millions or billions of baht taken from the thai economy and taxes not paid.

Who is keeping the country running so it is not plagued with lawlessness, protests that block the streets and affect everyday thai's just wanting to go about their business. Who is chasing those suspected of fraudulent rice schemes that cost Thailand billions of baht which can never be recovered because of prices promised and never delivered.

I could go on with more .....   there are dozens upon dozens of activities that Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha has achieved or is pushing to achieve.

But some farang are never happy with the way things are no matter how hard the government works they will always whinge. This shows one's lack of understanding Thai politics and the reason someone such as the Junta and Khun Prayuth has to be in charge to control the troublemakers.

Those whingers and whiners wouldn't even hold a candle to the General. They wouldn't know the first thing about his job.

I think the current government is doing a good job. It is certainly much better than his predecessors. As such one can only hope that the Junta stay in control for as long as possible and hopefully at least 10yrs or longer.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha :wai:

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ pics of Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

It is a blessing that the Junta are in charge and Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha is in the top job. He has worked hard, however some farang just want to throw mud at any news article whether it's a new project being planned or anything to do with his work.

Who kept the media and thai's continuously informed with running TV broadcasts every friday night then daily in some cases.

Who represented Thailand at the UN General assembly and spoke in front of the US president and officials. Do you really think his predecessors were even near professional enough to do what he did ... ?

Who managed to get the China-Thai high speed rail project up and running with 80% going to Thai contractors.

Who cleaned up areas of Sukhumvit which were once plagued by street carts and almost impassable to pedestrians.

Who is looking to implement road safety rules with the banning of persons riding in the back of pickups.

Who is chasing previously convicted criminals to recover millions or billions of baht taken from the thai economy and taxes not paid.

Who is keeping the country running so it is not plagued with lawlessness, protests that block the streets and affect everyday thai's just wanting to go about their business. Who is chasing those suspected of fraudulent rice schemes that cost Thailand billions of baht which can never be recovered because of prices promised and never delivered.

I could go on with more .....   there are dozens upon dozens of activities that Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha has achieved or is pushing to achieve.

But some farang are never happy with the way things are no matter how hard the government works they will always whinge. This shows one's lack of understanding Thai politics and the reason someone such as the Junta and Khun Prayuth has to be in charge to control the troublemakers.

Those whingers and whiners wouldn't even hold a candle to the General. They wouldn't know the first thing about his job.

I think the current government is doing a good job. It is certainly much better than his predecessors. As such one can only hope that the Junta stay in control for as long as possible and hopefully at least 10yrs or longer.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha :wai:

ผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ pics of Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

Dude! You forgot your meds again...

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Meanwhile, authorities have continued with their efforts to bring about national reconciliation. The Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) has invited major political camps and parties to participate in a final seminar on the so-called social contract for national reconciliation tomorrow.

The seminar, in which the Isoc is to discuss the harmony pact with participants, will be held at the First Army Area command in Bangkok as well as other military barracks in all regions from tomorrow to Thursday.

I believe that these two paragraphs sum up nicely why the process of 'reconciliation' has failed.

Political reconciliation is a political process, and one that really can't be done by an Internal Security Command. In the simple choice of having the meetings on army bases, the military has shown that they are not a neutral party capable of bridging differences, rather it is a demonstration of power over mediation.

It is a shame really. I didn't and don't support the coup, but there was an opportunity to act as a mediator among the various interests in the immediate post coup times. Unfortunately, that mantle wasn't taken up.

If Thailand is to move on to a more amicable political future, there has to be a way of discussing differences without having to worry about triggering another coup. And for that to happen, the military needs to both understand and admit that it is an element in the problem.

Thailand has a good future if they can allow for the creation of respected institutions, but until the aforementioned institutions can develop, there ain't a lot of hope.

It's unfortunate. The potential IS here, but yet to be realized.

Edited by Samui Bodoh

12 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Dude! You forgot your meds again...

lol ....  nope.    Thailand needs someone to take control otherwise you will have mayhem, insecurity, lawlessness and fighting between parties .... it's been proven time & time again.

I guess some farang can't see that and therefore prefer mayhem as before.  :coffee1:

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The project is in Thailand not China.  It is to be expected that the lion's share needs to go to local companies, not a triumph in the least.

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thailand needed a coup for that ?

13 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Singapore allows people to ride in the back of pick ups as does Malaysia.  Both and most countries have better road safety than Thailand.  Not a triumph.

24 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Who is keeping the country running so it is not plagued with lawlessness

Been through all the coups.  The lawlessness minimal in all of them.  It was hardly a plague.  Most Thai people showed restraint. 

All the junta shows is that there is severe hatred in Thailand amongst Thais.  Has nothing to do with any foreigners who live there. 

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The project is in Thailand not China.  It is to be expected that the lion's share needs to go to local companies, not a triumph in the least.

Thailand needed a coup for that ?

Singapore allows people to ride in the back of pick ups as does Malaysia.  Both and most countries have better road safety than Thailand.  Not a triumph.

Been through all the coups.  The lawlessness minimal in all of them.  It was hardly a plague.  Most Thai people showed restraint. 

All the junta shows is that there is severe hatred in Thailand amongst Thais.  Has nothing to do with any foreigners who live there. 

pls see post #7.   tks.

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

pls see post #7.   tks.

That does add clarity.  Please take your medication. 

The idea of good governance was first talked about in China in 600 B.C.   Western countries adopted rule of law and made it holy and above politics.  Having done so they have thrived until possibly now due to protracted wars.  Sadly there are very few if any bright spots in the world today.

In Thailand, you have a military strong man who is scared to death of debate and numbers the removal of some pesky street vendors as one of his achievements.   If that makes you proud, then you too have reconciled yourself to a less than fulfilling life. 

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

lol ....  nope.    Thailand needs someone to take control otherwise you will have mayhem, insecurity, lawlessness and fighting between parties .... it's been proven time & time again.

I guess some farang can't see that and therefore prefer mayhem as before.  :coffee1:

Ode to Prayut Chan-o-cha

I did but see him passing by,
And yet I love him till I die.

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

That does add clarity.  Please take your medication. 

The idea of good governance was first talked about in China in 600 B.C.   Western countries adopted rule of law and made it holy and above politics.  Having done so they have thrived until possibly now due to protracted wars.  Sadly there are very few if any bright spots in the world today.

In Thailand, you have a military strong man who is scared to death of debate and numbers the removal of some pesky street vendors as one of his achievements.   If that makes you proud, then you too have reconciled yourself to a less than fulfilling life. 

I prefer control rather than roadblocks, protests, airport closures etc ...

Having Khun Prayuth in charge does not affect my daily life one bit and I expect it wouldn't yours.  Thais are also not inconvenienced by the Junta as they go about their daily lives .....   however ,  I and I expect most were inconvenienced by the previous governments.

Thailand needs someone to take control otherwise you will have mayhem, insecurity, lawlessness and fighting between parties .... it's been proven time & time again.

But if you prefer as before , then thats your choice.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

good one ...  :clap2:

Thank you. Today is Sunday which brings out the spirit of goodwill in me. So I just thought I would be nice to you for a change. 

lol ....  nope.    Thailand needs someone to take control otherwise you will have .... it's been proven time & time again.

The mayhem, insecurity, lawlessness and fighting between parties was to a very large extent caused by a determined and well planned and resourced campaign by the elected governments opponents (who had consistently failed to win successive elections) to force that government from office.

Your beloved general played a full part in that process, as commander of the army, by sitting back to allow a mob ( a minority mob) to prevent a totally constitutional election. Then he took advantage of the resulting situation to take power himself.

Having Khun Prayuth in charge does not affect my daily life one bit and I expect it wouldn't yours.  Thais are also not inconvenienced by the Junta as they go about their daily lives .....   however ,  I and I expect most were inconvenienced by the previous governments.

Thailand needs someone to take control otherwise you will have mayhem, insecurity, lawlessness and fighting between parties .... it's been proven time & time again.

I guess some farang can't see that and therefore prefer mayhem as before.  coffee1.gif

But not a choice your hero (or you ) is prepared to offer the Thai people.

Note to self: I must stop responding to a troll...

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

attempts to bring about national reconciliation

thaksin woke up the middle and lower classes and they wont go away or back to sleep; on the other side of the wealth/income gap are the bangkok elites and their supporters; they are entrenched with a lot to protect;

the names and faces of the two groups' leaders may change but the underlying, root differences remain; cant see how the military can alter that; even attempts to muzzle the reds by jailing,threatening their leaders doesnt address their grievances; already we have be advised of their leadership 'change' yet in the same family;

if these new talks do not have red buy-in then the sheer size of that party means there is reconciliation on only one side; some reconciliation

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I cant tell if you are joking or seriouse. Maybe you should read the article. 70  percent do not agree with you.

There is mayhem its just mayhem have that sub,that plane ,tank,blackhawk

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

As they say, ignorance is bliss and you are one happy chappie.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

The mayhem, insecurity, lawlessness and fighting between parties was to a very large extent caused by a determined and well planned and resourced campaign by the elected governments opponents (who had consistently failed to win successive elections) to force that government from office.

Your beloved general played a full part in that process, as commander of the army, by sitting back to allow a mob ( a minority mob) to prevent a totally constitutional election. Then he took advantage of the resulting situation to take power himself.

I believe you can sately assume the military were fully behing the kaos and used the mad monk and his mob as the instigators to create a facade of not being involved.

Edited by Reigntax

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The remnants of Yingluck's party have been mostly put down, with charges or jail or the threat of both. While the Yellows have been essentially absolved of all wrong doing. I would say the reconciliation is nearly done.

I can't see a lot of wrong doing by the yellows. Don't deny that there might have been some. Anyway they have been active for a short time only. While Yingkluck's (=taksin's) party, which actually was   a company calling itself a political party  (with their SS army redshirts) used their time to cause a lot of damage to line their own pockets

Btw. a company is an economic institution with the goal to make as much money for themselves as possible

Edited by sweatalot

It's so great that you've got your finger on the pulse of all Thai such that you're aware that they're all not inconvenienced by the Junta. No doubt you're located in Isarn or the North, where the majority of the population are who are so well gruntled. And I'm sure they'd adjust their behaviour if they only knew how their striving for a better life has so inconvenienced you. How very rude of them. 

I believe we have a clue though as to the source of your wisdom - "I and I" is how rastafari talk, perhaps you can't see through the clouds of smoke that obscure your view? BTW, why did you change your name from djjamie?

I guess some farang can't see that and therefore prefer mayhem as before. 

The mayhem comes from the disregard Thais have for one another.  Your disregard shows through as you give no credit to the restraint of your fellow Thais, preferring to refer to them as lawless .  That is why people like you do not deserve freedom and true reconciliation will never be achieved.    

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Especially given the results are all over the place.

The percentage of the population polled isn't the best indicator of the validity of the poll. Nor is having a more homogenous result.