New Immigration Rule???

9 hours ago, Leonhard said:

My wife was fined 300 baht at Buriram Office for not doing a TM30 when I returned from overseas. That was 3 weeks ago.

9 hours ago, YetAnother said:

sounds like of those more 'friendly' offices

And definitely one of the more pedantic ones

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is just a office being very pedant about TM30 reporting. Unless you change your permanent residence there is no requirement to do a new one after staying in hotel because they reported you.

Most offices would not go into a special database for TM30 reporting to find out you stayed in a hotel.

When you stay in a hotel the national record shows you at that hotel until a new TM30 is submitted by the person responsible at the next address you stay at. The point of the law is to keep tabs on where the foreigner is staying and some offices seem to want to enforce it.

90 day reporting is maintained locally.

• Like 2

I understand that the thread is about domestic travel with an extension of stay based on retirement, but how would this 'rule' affect someone on an extension of stay based on work? In my case, extension based on a Non-O. I am sure there are many more like me as well. Also understand that the actual visa will be expired.

Due to my job I am travelling for at least a third of the year with lots of hotel stays out of province. I have never informed my local immigration office, but even if I had to, how could they justify the waste of time on both my side and their's having to report that I have arrived back in province?

I just don't see how they can differentiate the two types of extensions. 

3 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I just don't see how they can differentiate the two types of extensions. 

They don't. It is the same for all extensions of stay. You are just fortunate that your local office applies the requirements as should be done.

19 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Has Chaengwattana started requiring a TM30 if you change permanent address?  In the past, I've done annual extensions (based on work) and it's never been mentioned I use a new address.

No, CW are the only office I know who don't request a TM30 when changing address.

I'd still file the TM28 though, then at least you have a receipt of notification.

No, CW are the only office I know who don't request a TM30 when changing address.
I'd still file the TM28 though, then at least you have a receipt of notification.

Thanks. Does the TM28 have to be submitted in person or can I do it by mail? Presumably I also just put the new address on my next 90 day report.

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks. Does the TM28 have to be submitted in person or can I do it by mail? Presumably I also just put the new address on my next 90 day report.

Can't personally comment whether CW will accept a TM28 by mail.

I've always preferred to do it in person ensuring I get the receipt, even when my nearest office was once 160kms away.

Yes, just put the new address on further 90 day reports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They don't. It is the same for all extensions of stay. You are just fortunate that your local office applies the requirements as should be done.

Yep, you're right that I'm lucky our local office uses a bit of common sense with this. I just looked up my movements for last year and I made 32 trips to different provinces. That would have meant 32 wasted half days if the office required checking back in.

That is insane.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 9:13 AM, OJAS said:

But I do gather that Chiang Mai are pedantic in the sense that they insist on a fresh TM30 being filed each time one returns to LOS from a trip to foreign pastures, even to the same address as before. Ditto Jomtien.

The OP might therefore wish to check whether Chumpon are similarly pedantic in this regard, particularly if he has any imminent plans for foreign travel.

I have had a few people tell me that Chumphon are quite difficult to deal with and look for reasons to quibble. 

If a friend from abroad comes on a holiday with visa exemption 30 days to stay at your house that you own (leasehold), say for a total sojurn of 2 or 3 weeks ,  does the housemaster need fill up the TM30? - With consideration that the friend has already filled the form with the address at immigration on arrival at the airport?

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

If a friend from abroad comes on a holiday with visa exemption 30 days to stay at your house that you own (leasehold), say for a total sojurn of 2 or 3 weeks ,  does the housemaster need fill up the TM30? - With consideration that the friend has already filled the form with the address at immigration on arrival at the airport?

Under the immigration act yes.

But if they did not need to do anything at immigration there would be no enforcement of it. Some immigration offices do not a ask for a TM30 so in that case it would not be needed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

You are required  to make a report about the arrival of a foreigner staying in your house. 

On a practical basis if the friend does not intend visiting the immigration office the report can be ignored. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The address form that the visitor fills out on arrival is irrelevant. The law says the the owner, house-master or possessor of the property that the foreigner stays at must report that they have arrived/are staying at their property. You, as the owner/possessor could submit the TM30, however, you should ask at your local office if they want it as some offices don't enforce this law.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2017 at 3:02 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

Did this at Chiang mai immigration when i came back from a long weekend on Koh Samed .

They where asking me what do you want us to do ?

Only needed if you have a new arrival / departure card is what to told me,.

Looks like every officer and office has its own rules.

They should be making it clear for everyone, same rules apply everywhere.

Yes I agree, many government offices have their own interpretation from region to region

6 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

My friend complained at the office, they have now agreed his wife can just telephone and let them know they are back at home after any holiday away. 

And the next time they go to the office and the person who took the call can't remember or is on a day off??

6 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

My friend complained at the office, they have now agreed his wife can just telephone and let them know they are back at home after any holiday away. 

Similar, a friend of mine complained as they made frequent trips touring adjoining Countries, so they registered them for online submissions the same as hotels and guesthouses.

The sites been down ever since.   :violin:

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 8:37 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is just a office being very pedant about TM30 reporting. Unless you change your permanent residence there is no requirement to do a new one after staying in hotel because they reported you.

Most offices would not go into a special database for TM30 reporting to find out you stayed in a hotel.

This is not what Phuket IO told me- as discussed on this thread  

it must be done each and every time one leaves the country- I didn't ask about just leaving the residence for a night. 

On 7/18/2017 at 4:00 AM, stupidfarang said:

23 hours ago, overherebc said:

And the next time they go to the office and the person who took the call can't remember or is on a day off??

Yes, if you look on the wall in immigration office, there is a list of regulations. Out of area > 24 hours is an old rule that got some recent buzz.   I really wouldn't lose any sleep over this micro-regulation.   As long as you haven't permanently changed the address that you use for your yearly extensions, you should be fine.  You guys should be busy enjoying retirement.

• Like 2

On 16/07/2017 at 2:09 PM, DavisH said:

How did that happen? Were you visiting immigration and they saw you had been overseas and the TM30 wasn't done?

Went to do 90 day report. Apparently Buriram is hitting everyone.

And yes it is not a friendly office. Everyone thought it would be better than Surin when it opened but they make problems for everyone.

6 minutes ago, Leonhard said:

Went to do 90 day report. Apparently Buriram is hitting everyone.

And yes it is not a friendly office. Everyone thought it would be better than Surin when it opened but they make problems for everyone.

I am seriously considering advising a change of address from my 'home' in Buriram to my rented condo in Jomtien so I deal with just one office (Jomtien) - and will not bother to advice anyone when I spend time in Buriram.

Can't personally comment whether CW will accept a TM28 by mail.
I've always preferred to do it in person ensuring I get the receipt, even when my nearest office was once 160kms away.

Yes, just put the new address on further 90 day reports.

Can anyone confirm? If I move to a new condo in Bangkok, having sold the condo I had owned for 8 years, can I post the TM28 to Chaengwattana or do I need to go in person. Or can I just do nothing, except 90 day reports, until my Extension is done in November?

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Can anyone confirm? If I move to a new condo in Bangkok, having sold the condo I had owned for 8 years, can I post the TM28 to Chaengwattana or do I need to go in person. Or can I just do nothing, except 90 day reports, until my Extension is done in November?

As far as I now Chaeng Wattana still does not ask for a TM30 or even TM28's. Most people just change their address there when they do their 90 day report or a extension application.

• Like 1

As far as I now Chaeng Wattana still does not ask for a TM30 or even TM28's. Most people just change their address there when they do their 90 day report or a extension application.

Thanks. I think I'll take the risk and just report the new address on my next 90 day report which coincides quite closely to the date of my Extension.

9 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Yes, if you look on the wall in immigration office, there is a list of regulations. Out of area > 24 hours is an old rule that got some recent buzz.   I really wouldn't lose any sleep over this micro-regulation.   As long as you haven't permanently changed the address that you use for your yearly extensions, you should be fine.  You guys should be busy enjoying retirement.

I agree, but when I spend the 2 months prior to an extension having to play whack a mole with  various officials regarding  what rules will be enforced it really leads me to rethink the decision. Who needs this kind of stress?