rooster59

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, saakura said:

Even if a person is in the wrong (let us say, standing in the middle of a highway at night), the driver has to convince the police that he was diligent in his driving, he could not avoid hitting the person. Does not automatically give him freedom to walk away.

probably just needs to pay a fine for getting involved regardless of if he did anything wrong or not. cops want to be paid for their time and the dead girl cant pay. seriously cops need payment for doing anything. i have had some dealings with them. cost 1000thb to do a report when my shop was robbed by my own staff then they refused to do anything about it as i had already retrieved the goods myself.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

16 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

why are Thai woman so obsessed with taking selfies all the time?

There are Smart phones advertised now as being the Perfect Selfie phone. Pity most of the subjects are not!

Despite the sad stupidity of stopping for a selfie on a freeway, its illegal to drive in the emergency stop area of the expressway.  Unfortunately everyone ignores this rule here.  Depending on the drivers wealth status and family connections he should at the least be guilty of manslaughter pending any reason to be in that area of the expressway.

Most of us are aware that the phrase 'luxury car' in roadkill reports is a code word used by reporters to signify that the driver is wealthy enough to avoid punishment for the people he kills on the road. 

It is telling that the report makes no mention of the police conducting alcohol tests on either the luxury car driver or the driver who decided to stop his car on the expressway to allow a passenger to get out and wander around on the road taking selfies in the dark.  It was 3 am after all, at which time breath tests for drivers involved in accidents is logically standard operating procedure.

Edited by Dogmatix

Another death from ignorance. Sorry that a girl had to die in the process. 

Thais are simply not told, educated or shown about danger. The West was no different in the last century. Until pointless loss of life holds importance to the Govt nothing will change. It's not just about having laws ( there are plenty in place already) It's about educating the public to a point where they could never conceive of doing this sort of thing because they understand the danger.

same as the k4ob-ends here who drive/ride against the flow of the traffic. People in the West don't do that because they are worried about breaking the law. They don't do it because they realise how dangerous it is.

16 hours ago, saakura said:

Even if a person is in the wrong (let us say, standing in the middle of a highway at night), the driver has to convince the police that he was diligent in his driving, he could not avoid hitting the person. Does not automatically give him freedom to walk away.

the "luxury car" part of the op means he has a good chance of doing just that, when have rich people ever been charged for killing someone here, they are a protected species. Stopping on an expressway to take selfies means the driver of the girl should also be charged but again since when have police every enforced the laws of the country.

17 hours ago, Meljames said:

True that. I was thinking about the diver that hit her. The article says the police took him in 'for further legal action'. Sounds like there's a chance he could be held liable for the accident.  Doesn't sound like he had time to stop.

.... or was inebriated!!

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

could not see that the girl was out on the side of the expressway. 

well if he meant the 'shoulder' of the highway, why couldnt he see that ?

and if it was the shoulder, then why was he driving on it ? and if it was off the shoulder on the nondriving side, then what was he doing driving there ? flimsy excuse, betting drunken driving (3AM)

Edited by YetAnother

the main article does expose a dangerous habit if thais; namely disregard for street/road/highway safety; in my province people walk,bicycle,motorbike not looking both ways when they should; they park out into the lanes, sometimes double park; to them it's all ok as they feel they can do whatever they want, others be damned

17 hours ago, saakura said:

16 year olds are all the same world over. 

Just yesterday in my home country of Canada, while on a dog walk, I came upon two girls of about that age sitting on the curb directly around the corner from a busy street. One had her long legs sticking well out. 

I suggested to them that it was a dangerous place to sit. They paid no attention to my words (but they did hear). 

I looked back later to see if they heeded my warning. No !

So let's not denegrate Thais-only for such behaviour. Developed country, developing country, same, same. 

The whole story is rather strange complete with the usual sketchy reporting.

Emergency lanes are just what they imply, you have a problem and you stop and put on hazard  lights.

Modern "luxury cars" are equipped with more than adequate headlights....Why did the driver not see the car stopped or the girl?

She was obviously standing on the off side of the car when hit and this impact flung her over the barrier to the ramp, where we see the paramedics treating her.

Sad all round and completly  unecessary

16 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Little off topic but I recently saw an article about a (Russian?) girl posting selfies or maybe video as she and her girlfriend slammed into a tree or some other immoveable object ...live.

Very sad but that is the world we live in today.

Ukrainian, live video feed of her death. 

18 hours ago, roo860 said:

Headline was a tad confusing. I thought for a moment that Thailand was now the hub for raising the dead.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Speaking of which,  we also mark the death yesterday of George A Romero. 

But back to the deceased girl, who hasn't once or twice done something dumb or inadvertently dangerous? Let's not be too hard on she or her friends; their week is bad enough as it is. :sad:

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

The whole story is rather strange complete with the usual sketchy reporting.

Emergency lanes are just what they imply, you have a problem and you stop and put on hazard  lights.

Modern "luxury cars" are equipped with more than adequate headlights....Why did the driver not see the car stopped or the girl?

She was obviously standing on the off side of the car when hit and this impact flung her over the barrier to the ramp, where we see the paramedics treating her.

Sad all round and completly  unecessary

Ah, now someone with similar thoughts to me.  If the vehicle had stopped for a puncture and wheel change and a luxury car had hit the person changing the wheel it would all be different . But why oh why would a person want to take a selfie in the dark outside . Not a correct story somehow.

21 hours ago, saakura said:

It should.

3 am is never a good time to be out on the Thai roadways.

3 am is an even worse time to actually be a driver on the Thai roadways.

and anyone deciding to get out of their car and pose for selfies on a Thai expressway at 3 am is simply beyond reasonable words to describe.

2 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Luxury car? Sounds ominous, probably doing 180 kph at that time of night.Too fast to stop in time..

and how would you know that, clairvoyant in your spare time?