Oil Consumption

Jessi

8 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I'm not arguing about the relative merits of synthetic and mineral, that was settled long ago. Just saying the video proposition of heat being a factor is erroneous. Also, a taxi engine should be only just getting into its stride at 121,000 miles.

Way back when when I was in the taxi trade engine sludge was a major problem, constant traffic idling etc, it lpayed havock on valve train and overhead cam lubrication, we never had syn back then but l am convinced that if we did the engines would have gone on and on..

A taxi engine is the same engine as many rides use, an engine with near 200,000km of constant traffic use and no signs of wear is amazing, all because of syn oil use..The guy even states they can double the oil change period and save bundles in the long run..

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having driven several Porsches, my experience is they stick to the road like the proverbial to a blanket.
Perhaps you are only used to American cars with acres of sheet metal and terminal understeer.

The lift throttle oversteer characteristics of the air cooled 911 are legendary. Use it to your advantage or to your demise. Up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, transam said:

Way back when when I was in the taxi trade engine sludge was a major problem, constant traffic idling etc, it lpayed havock on valve train and overhead cam lubrication, we never had syn back then but l am convinced that if we did the engines would have gone on and on..

A taxi engine is the same engine as many rides use, an engine with near 200,000km of constant traffic use and no signs of wear is amazing, all because of syn oil use..The guy even states they can double the oil change period and save bundles in the long run..

It's an advert for Buddha sake. Yes they did compare Mineral Oil to Syn but who uses Mineral oil in the lump Now. Double the Oil change ??? sorry don't make me laugh. Motor manufactures recommend changing oil,  What ever used at 5000km for Diesel engine. If you do a lot of high runs and stop star driving.

Nice advert though, but a bit like saying the green colour in Duckhams oil make it last longer.

Hog Wash.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

It's an advert for Buddha sake. Yes they did compare Mineral Oil to Syn but who uses Mineral oil in the lump Now. Double the Oil change ??? sorry don't make me laugh. Motor manufactures recommend changing oil,  What ever used at 5000km for Diesel engine. If you do a lot of high runs and stop star driving.

Nice advert though, but a bit like saying the green colour in Duckhams oil make it last longer.

Hog Wash.

You use mineral oil.......:coffee1:

Plus you have obviously not paid any attention to the tech talk...

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You use mineral oil.......:coffee1:

Plus you have obviously not paid any attention to the tech talk...

No use Semi Syn oil supplied & recommended by Toyota. Teck talk. Read advert.

But if you believe it carry on. I if you don't mind will carry on doing as Toyota recommend.

Oh and putting in one of those childish Emotions doesn't make you seem more intelligent. Words speak louder.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

No use Semi Syn oil supplied & recommended by Toyota. Teck talk. Read advert.

But if you believe it carry on. I if you don't mind will carry on doing as Toyota recommend.

Oh and putting in one of those childish Emotions doesn't make you seem more intelligent. Words speak louder.

Semi is mineral oil with a % of syn mixed in..an additive..Please get your facts right...

What % of syn is in your mineral oil..? Do you know...?....:stoner:

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Semi is mineral oil with a % of syn mixed in..an additive..Please get your facts right...

You said I use Mineral oil. No I don't I use a mixture of both. Recommended as stated by Toyota. Please get Your fact correct.

And no I don't know what % there is in Toyota oil but if it's good enough for a Toyota guarantee it's good enough for me.

Tell all if it's that great why don't you put Full Syn in your lump. Please don't tell me it's the cost. Bit like a Dog. Syn isn't only for Christmas/Birthdays you know.

No more replies to your silly posts for some time, of to watch the Golf.

Edited by fredob43

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

You said I use Mineral oil. No I don't I use a mixture of both. Recommended as stated by Toyota. Please get Your fact correct.

And no I don't know what % there is in Toyota oil but if it's good enough for a Toyota guarantee it's good enough for me.

Tell all if it's that great why don't you put Full Syn in your lump. Please don't tell me it's the cost. Bit like a Dog. Syn isn't only for Christmas/Birthdays you know.

You said you don't use mineral oil but you do...Try reading my facts on the subject..I have also stated if l were a rich guy l would use syn oil.....FACT...

1 hour ago, Propellerhead said:

The lift throttle oversteer characteristics of the air cooled 911 are legendary. Use it to your advantage or to your demise. Up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think I've been driving later model Porsches. Mind you, I'm not one for pushing any car to its adhesion limits.

1 hour ago, transam said:

You said you don't use mineral oil but you do...Try reading my facts on the subject..I have also stated if l were a rich guy l would use syn oil.....FACT...

Back as the golf True vision has gone tits up due to the weather.

So now it YOUR facts on the subject. Please give me a break. Mr I know it all.

One doesn't have to be that rich to afford expensive oil. Just a little more careful with monies. It's not a weekly outlay you know.

6 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Back as the golf True vision has gone tits up due to the weather.

So now it YOUR facts on the subject. Please give me a break. Mr I know it all.

One doesn't have to be that rich to afford expensive oil. Just a little more careful with monies. It's not a weekly outlay you know.

You haven't read anything I have posted....That's OK....You Crack on...:smile:

6 hours ago, transam said:

The sludging with mineral oils is due to several factors. Depending on which oil field the crude comes from, there are varying levels of wax, sulphur and salt. Not all of these are completely removed in refining. Then there's the degrading of the anti-wear additives, such as zinc diethyl dithio phosphate etc. So it was difficult for lubricating oil producers to get an oil to exact specifications. The performance was variable, depending on sourcing.

In contrast, manufacturers of the raw materials used to produce synthetic esters can make fatty acids and alcohols to very tight specifications. The end product is all lubricant, not a mineral oil carrier of lubricant additives.

Having said that, even synthetic oils have their limits. I can remember a sales rep who turned in his company car at the mandated period of 120,000 km. He had never had it serviced, and the mechanics had to remove the crankcase and use a steam hose to get what was left out of the engine block.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Not possible to know, because a manufacturer certainly won't tell you. Some semi-synthetics will be 10% synthetic, another might be 50%. It depends on the greed of the manufacturer.

Maybe there's a correlation between price per litre and the amount spent on advertising.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Not possible to know, because a manufacturer certainly won't tell you. Some semi-synthetics will be 10% synthetic, another might be 50%. It depends on the greed of the manufacturer.

Maybe there's a correlation between price per litre and the amount spent on advertising.

Semi synthetic ( SS ) oils had just 10% synthetic in them , and so 90% mineral / dino oil , but it was soon discovered this was not up to standard for modern engines and driving , so the minumum was increased to 20%. Some of the better oil companies and engineers agreed that 30% would be safer. Kind of proves how unsuitable mineral oil is in modern engines. As SS is so much more expensive than satndard mineral oil , and not "too" much cheaper than Fully Synthetic ( FS ) , i will continue to use 100% FS oil. Or you can buy 1 can of FS oil and mix it with 5 cans of mineral oil. Same same.

15 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Or you can buy 1 can of FS oil and mix it with 5 cans of mineral oil. Same same.

Extract from qualified engineers.

Yes, you can safely mix synthetic and conventional oil but barring an emergency,  it's not a great idea.

All motor oil, whether synthetic or conventional, is a combination of base oils and additives.

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Extract from qualified engineers.

Yes, you can safely mix synthetic and conventional oil but barring an emergency,  it's not a great idea.

All motor oil, whether synthetic or conventional, is a combination of base oils and additives.

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Is the guy a salesman another extract from qualified engineer and talking about oils can be an immortal subject. :laugh:

Mixing the same API grades of synthetic passenger car motor oil and mineral oil-based engine oil won't damage the engine, but you will lose the performance features you expect from the synthetic. ... If the mixture is cloudy, the oils are not compatible.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Is the guy a salesman another extract from qualified engineer and talking about oils can be an immortal subject. :laugh:

Mixing the same API grades of synthetic passenger car motor oil and mineral oil-based engine oil won't damage the engine, but you will lose the performance features you expect from the synthetic. ... If the mixture is cloudy, the oils are not compatible.

Don't know about the cloudy bit but l have mixed them, nooooo ploblem...:stoner:

I have seen cloudy oil with water ingress though...:smile: