The Two-tier Pricing Dilemma

george

EDITORIAL

The two-tier pricing dilemma

Double pricing for foreign visitors is not unique to Thailand, but the govt must do more to inform tourists

Here is the scenario: You are a foreigner on vacation in Thailand and you have enjoyed your holiday, but then you visit a popular national park one day. You see a Thai in front of you pay Bt20 for the entry fee but the price for you is Bt200 because you are a foreigner. Outraged by such double pricing, you ask questions of the fee collector, but all he can say is that it is the park management's policy. Now you seem to have only two extreme options - swallow your pride, pay the fee and walk in, or turn back with your vacation mood spoiled.

When this same thing happens to Thai tourists during their trips to foreign countries, their vacation is marred by the bad experience in a similar way. Never mind the same double pricing practised in other countries, such a policy sanctioned by national parks and other government agencies in Thailand has been a cause of bitter complaint among foreign tourists over many years. This negative feedback is counterproductive to the Kingdom's great efforts to promote itself as the region's leading tourist destination.

Thailand is not the only country in the world where foreigners are charged extra for their visits to government-run attractions. Thais who have travelled to other continents have confirmed that some countries in Europe and Asia, despite having stronger economies than Thailand's, also operate double pricing policies for foreign visitors.

This kind of practice must certainly have drawn complaints from foreign tourists, particularly from countries where foreigners and locals pay the same rates for entry to popular tourist attractions.

Agencies responsible for double pricing at Thailand's national parks, historical sites and other government properties do have an explanation for such a policy when questioned by the press. They often cite two main reasons for charging a higher entry fee for foreigners - one is that the baht is weaker than many other currencies, and the other is that foreigners do not regularly pay taxes or give charity donations, parts of which go towards the maintenance of those tourist attractions. Such explanations, however, seem not to have been commonly made available to foreign tourists through any form of official government media. And even if the reasoning is provided, the question remains as to whether it is acceptable to all.

In an ideal situation the controversial double pricing policy for foreigners should be scrapped altogether in every country - regardless of currency value or economic status. But without a conventional obligation by international agreements or laws, the matter rests entirely on individual nations' discretion, depending on how they judge its priority and significance. For disgruntled tourists, being able to see the whole world without annoying double pricing can only be wishful thinking for now.

For Thailand in particular, the official stance on double pricing depends on how seriously and sensitively the government and tourism-related agencies take foreign tourists' complaints. The problem is that they may not take this as seriously as their efforts to cash in from tourism. If they maintain that the double pricing policy is here to stay, foreign visitors should be kept well informed of the practice and the reasons behind it. For foreigners who arrive at parks or historical sites they have long dreamed of visiting, only to be caught off guard by an entry fee 10 times higher than Thais, they must feel they are being ripped off. This kind of impression is certainly not conducive to a pleasurable atmosphere for valued tourists.

Agencies concerned can work more professionally and effectively in keeping foreigners informed of existing double pricing in Thailand. To name a few from the ample choices of publicity, the information can be noted on an immigration form, printed in an official guidebook or tour ad brochures, or placed on announcement boards at airports, embassies, tour companies, tourist information centres, etc. An even smarter way, in the era of worldwide Internet links, would be to post information on the Websites of Thai government agencies, tour agents and other public organisations. More channels to access such information will help prospective foreign visitors decide how they will react to double pricing in Thailand. As long as Thai authorities cannot afford to forgo the practice, they should at least give foreign visitors a better chance to choose to pay or not to pay.

--The Nation 2007-01-01

Agencies concerned can work more professionally and effectively in keeping foreigners informed of existing double pricing in Thailand.

To name a few from the ample choices of publicity, the information can be noted on an immigration form, printed in an official guidebook or tour ad brochures, or placed on announcement boards at airports, embassies, tour companies, tourist information centres, etc.

An even smarter way, in the era of worldwide Internet links, would be to post information on the Websites of Thai government agencies, tour agents and other public organisations.

More channels to access such information will help prospective foreign visitors decide how they will react to double pricing in Thailand.

As long as Thai authorities cannot afford to forgo the practice, they should at least give foreign visitors a better chance to choose to pay or not to pay.

about time this disgraceful practice was highlighted in the national press , not that it will bring about any changes.

Agencies concerned can work more professionally and effectively in keeping foreigners informed of existing double pricing in Thailand.

To name a few from the ample choices of publicity, the information can be noted on an immigration form, printed in an official guidebook or tour ad brochures, or placed on announcement boards at airports, embassies, tour companies, tourist information centres, etc.

An even smarter way, in the era of worldwide Internet links, would be to post information on the Websites of Thai government agencies, tour agents and other public organisations.

More channels to access such information will help prospective foreign visitors decide how they will react to double pricing in Thailand.

As long as Thai authorities cannot afford to forgo the practice, they should at least give foreign visitors a better chance to choose to pay or not to pay.

about time this disgraceful practice was highlighted in the national press , not that it will bring about any changes.

Double pricing is a ripoff and really shows the mentality of our Thai hosts.

There was a website dedicated to listing the places that double price , anyone have the link.

Article sounds like a very lame rationalization of double pricing. It fails to cite just how widespread it is in western countries. In my opinion, not very widespread. It uses these cases of it in other countries as a good excuse. Didn't your mother teach you two wrongs don't make a right?

Also, it fails to mention the ripple effect of a government sanctioning this, how it trickles down to everyday Thais, like transport drivers and food vendors. Thailand risks losing its Land of Smiles slogan to more welcoming and more ethical neighbors. (Not to mention the bombs!)

Edited by Jingthing

I was at Phu Rua in Loei province at the weekend and they charge 400 baht for foreigners. I go in for Thai price because of my WP, but surprise surprise - I was the only farang there!

Same here. Just went in one of the National Park in Lampang, and wanted to charge 400 THB.

For both Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai, I was refused the "Thai Price" even with the work permit.

The price difference was not worth arguing, and since my last visit, you could see some improvements in the museum (in Sukhothai).

In the National Park, same comment, only one/two foreigners ... this policy does not make any sense economically speaking.

With a price at 400 THB (x persons), you start looking a alternative locations (in Thailand) for holiday.

Two Tier pricing is everywhere and is a lot higher than the prices we are asked to pay in LOS.

For example, if you ain't a Ruski expect to pay a lot more when you are in Moscow, St Petersburg, Moldovia and Bulgaria when visiting the places of interest.

Experienced two such rip-offs over the Xmas period:

1) Entering Erawan Waterfall at Kanchanaburi where a signpost read 400b for non-Thai and 40b for Thai. My wife and I ended up paying 40b once we both produced our driving licsence, but my mum had to pay 400b (and yes, of course her son picked up the tab!)

2) Dusit Zoo, can't recall the numbers, but again by producing the driving liscense we got the Thai price.

Have also experienced the same at the Crocodile/Reptile Zoo.

Originating from the UK/Europe, I can't recall seeing this practice anywhere in Europe that I have visited.

I think it stinks as the spread of prices is too wide....if the spread was say 40b and 80b, then I would say mai pen rai and pay - largely based on the assumption that, typically, the average farang would earn more than the average thai, and 100b is still bloody cheap compared to attractions in the UK.

The reasons given for this double standard are not valid in my humble opinion.

I do not know many Thai's who pay a lot of tax (if any) or donate any money to charities.

I would donate more to charities in Thailand than 99% of Thai's that i know.

It is simple exploitation of tourists, and impacts those foriegners who choose to live here.

It does make visitors to LOS feel exploited and ripped off.

But, this is LOS....

It is difficult to find out who to complain to.

The poor worker collecting money at the gate is not responsible for the policy..

I do not know many Thai's who pay a lot of tax (if any) or donate any money to charities.

I would donate more to charities in Thailand than 99% of Thai's that i know.

It is simple exploitation of tourists, and impacts those foriegners who choose to live here.

It does make visitors to LOS feel exploited and ripped off.

The poor worker collecting money at the gate is not responsible for the policy..

Spot on, as said before there is a ripple effect from higher, so everyone thinks its ok to do.

Its a National Disgrace which can only reflect unfairly on Thailand and makes it out to be no more worthy than a 3rd World grubby,grasping little Charity basket Case.... :o

and ...its NOT Cricket........ :D

The UK has a two tier pricing policy in many museums and tourist attractions. UK taxpayers pay one price, foreign vistors pay another.

One example of this is Ann Hathaways Cottage. I'm sure I didn't pay the 5 quid shown on that site, but I do remember a sign up saying with that fee for non-UK taxpayers.

What gets me here though is it's a very broad stroke. If you're a farang, you pay more. Flashing the driving licence has worked once or twice, but not always.

The UK has a two tier pricing policy in many museums and tourist attractions. UK taxpayers pay one price, foreign vistors pay another.

I hear this kind of reasoning a lot. The problem is that very few Thais pay more tax than the average tourist pays in vat. I am all for reasonable dual pricing where accomodation is being made for tourists such as English signs, pamphlets or English speaking staff. Ten times local price is ridiculous exspecialy since most parks have minimal facilities.

In australia studying has 2 prices for nationals and international student.

Its more then double, its more like 6 times higher for international students.

Similar situation here in the US.

Since international students and their families don't generally pay taxes I really don't a have a problem with higher tuition.

I suspect that internation students in OZ do not pay higher prices for food, shoes,movie tickets, etc.

Since I've never paid a dime in taxes to the government of Austalia I would expect to pay higher tuition than a citizen of NSW.

-texpat

I don't agree with the reasoning behind the 2 tier pricing that is highlighted in the article. However, I have also heard that it is there so that Thais (who mostly have lower income than farang, particularly farang tourists) can see their national parks, museums, cultural heritage etc. So, we farang pay more to maintain these attractions so that poorer Thais can enjoy them also. I find that premise harder to argue with... :o

They're NATIONAL parks (not international)

The Thai people own these places. They could argue they don't have to pay one satang to go on this property.

So farangs (who don't own the parks) are asked to contribute...... Boo Hoo.

You came to Thailand praising its differences from your own country - often ones which allow you to marry women 20 years younger than you. (which wouldn't happen back home). So try to deal with it when there is an occasion where you don't come out on top.

Since international students and their families don't generally pay taxes I really don't a have a problem with higher tuition.

I suspect that internation students in OZ do not pay higher prices for food, shoes,movie tickets, etc.

Since I've never paid a dime in taxes to the government of Austalia I would expect to pay higher tuition than a citizen of NSW.

-texpat

Most of the local students who go to these uni's havent paid a cent in taxes as usually havent worked yet.

In thailand you dont pay any different prices for movies tickets, shoes also. Unless your at the market which the seller will try to get as much as they can out of you

Worse than the Thais practice of two-tier pricing is two-tier wages. There are reports of farang teacher getting paid more than four times what Thai teachers are paid in the same schools. Outrageous!
:o Sure, like the teachers I know: the farang with a BA in English gets 35K, and his wife (a Thai) gets 60K. I made 25K for less than 12 months per year, while my boss made 31K all year, with benefits. Lots of Thai teachers make more than farang teachers, even before you include benefits. And they don't have to fly to a first world country to renew their visas.

Yes, some Thai teachers start at 8K, but they can live with their family for a while, get cheap loans, health insurance, etc. Very few teachers are beginners anymore; most are fully tenured or middle-aged.

The reasons given for this double standard are not valid in my humble opinion.

This is a very simplistic way of looking at things. The tax system in Thailand, and most of Asia, is structured in a way where nearly all the tax revenue is collected from companies. This makes tax collection much easier than trying to get everyone to pay tax like in most western countries.

Most of the population is below the income level where you have to pay tax; they pay with hard work, long hours and low pay.

They are well worth a discount when they visit National Parks they have paid for in this way.

Edited by ZZZ

-texpat

Most of the local students who go to these uni's havent paid a cent in taxes as usually havent worked yet.

In thailand you dont pay any different prices for movies tickets, shoes also. Unless your at the market which the seller will try to get as much as they can out of you

Their parents would be paying tax