Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

10 hours ago, jspill said:

I got back into BKK today, I used the 850 baht premium airport pick up service where a rep meets you off the plane and takes you through the priority lane. At immigration the IO said 'you come a lot, what are you doing here', I replied I have a Thai GF and plan to get married. That's the best strategy imo.

Next question was how long I'd stay this time, I said 2 weeks (actually I'll extend the visa exemption to 60 days). I had one of those $8 rented onward tickets dated 2 weeks ahead ready to show if asked, and 20k baht, but wasn't asked.

After those two questions she stamped me in for another visa exemption, didn't get pulled to the side. There's no other IOs standing around in the priority section so using that may reduce the chance of getting pulled aside for further questioning.

My visa history is 2 year overstay followed by 7 visa exempts then an SETV, on this passport, then previous passport even worse dating back to 2009. 

I'd been out of Thailand 3 months, visited Macau HK and Philippines. Still well over 180 days in the last calendar year was in Thailand. Originally I planned to come in via land but there hadn't been any new denied entry threads this last week and both airports had those 5 hours delays so I figured they may be a bit embarrassed over that, I'll risk the airport priority lane. Plus being flown back to Manila wouldn't be the worst thing.

Hopefully it's all died down, but that priority lane is well worth using, would recommend. The rep was super cute too.

True colours showing now then a correct visa dodger of the highest order and can't

resist bragging about it, I hope you get caught and I really hope they teach you a lesson

because you and people like you are causing big problems for everyone.

Do you think it is clever advising people how to abuse the system?

Good luck in IDC.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

You claimed before you have lived here for 30 years, on tourist visas?? doubtful

at best, and it is abuse of the visa system.

And yet for 30 years Immigration did not consider it to be an abuse, but you do, comparing it to other Immigration systems which tells me you forget this is Thailand.

10 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You know what they say about assumptions though don't you?

I am now a long term tourist and as such utilise the 30 day entry stamps as their suit my purpose. Often there is no Thai Embassy or Consulate where I am working so I asked and was told on the last entry that because I work offshore and onboard ships I should have no problem with as many 30 day stamps as needed. 

Immigration was perfectly satisfied when I showed them my seaman's book and that I was indeed a genuine tourist earning money out of the country and spending money in the country. 

I have previously been an owner of several Thai companies and came here when I was in my early 20's, so pretty much been on WP and Non-B visas since they became mandatory in the 90's. 

Try again. 

Try what again you have been here on WP and non-B visas which to my knowledge are not tourist visas

So from your last post you now use visa exempt entries which are again not visas so you can hardly call

yourself a tourist of any kind, just the usual offshore nomad of no fixed abode, used to be the same before

I obtained a retirement extension.

7 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

He incorrectly assumed that I had been living here for 30 years on tourist visas or visa free entry stamps.

Silly. 

No I did not, you are the one who claimed to have been living here for 30 years without qualifying 

how.

You then said you were a long term tourist implying that you had been a tourist for that thirty years.

Silly.

21 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Nowhere have I ever stated I stayed here for 30 years on tourist visas or entry stamps.

You assumed that and were corrected.

Nowhere, until now, have you ever stated that you didn't stay here on tourist visas for 30 years.

I assumed nothing and you were wrong.

19 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I earn money from working overseas, I come here for a break when I am off work and spend my hard-earned in Thailand. 

Precisely the definition of a tourist. 

Matters not how long I stay here or how many times I come as long as I do not overstay the validity of my visa or entry stamp. 

I am not retired and not planning to stay here until I die so I don't want a retirement visa, I am not married to one of the local ex-hookers and I regularly travel throughout the region as a tourist. 

I'm a long term tourist and you just have to deal with that. 

If Thailand has a problem with that I will continue to be a long term tourist in neighbouring countries and they will benefit from this white man's great generosity instead.

End of.

I couldn't give a monkeys how you live, entirely up to you.

I am not married to a local ex-hooker either and with your attutude

you might have trouble finding anyone to marry you?

I find it hard to think that Thailand cares one bit whether you spend

your money here or elsewhere.

Good luck Paddy, or is it Mick?? I feel you may need it.

4 hours ago, lkv said:

And yet for 30 years Immigration did not consider it to be an abuse, but you do, comparing it to other Immigration systems which tells me you forget this is Thailand.

Yeah it's not like we're claiming benefits. We're long term tourists. 

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

He incorrectly assumed that I had been living here for 30 years on tourist visas or visa free entry stamps.

Silly. 

Even if that was the case, I don't see what the problem is. Many others did, while Immigration was all smiles chopping the passports endlessly for 30 days at borders.

Really see no problem with it, Immigration played along based on orders coming from above, which is basically what they are also doing now but with a few extra restrictions in place.

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Two questions come to mind:

1. from your best guess - did the IO grill you because of your past overstay, or because of the number of trips to Thailand?

2. Do you have the cute rep's phone number? :smile:

The no. of trips, the overstay stamp is on the first page they tend to miss it. 

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

Even if that was the case, I don't see what the problem is. Many others did, while Immigration was all smiles chopping the passports endlessly for 30 days at borders.

Angry old bitters on forums that want the place to themselves. They still wouldn't get any attention from the ladies though. 

30 minutes ago, jspill said:

Angry old bitters on forums that want the place to themselves. They still wouldn't get any attention from the ladies though. 

They are once again blaming "the abuse" instead of understanding that this "abuse" was perfectly fine with Immigration, up until 2014 when a major event took place, and all visas became more difficult to get, including marriage, retirement etc.

What stopped them from doing something about it for years and years? The principle that every dollar is a dollar.

But if they want to blame it on the "abuse" and buy into the official government rhetoric, up to them.

The current administration is characterized by a high degree of greed. The bribes necessary for bars to continue operating have trebled in the last 3 years. 

Reinvention of the Thai Elite at higher prices.

VOA at 2,000 baht for the Chinese yes. One of their major tourism market if we look at the numbers. Then discounted to 1,000 special price.

Now they are pitching to India. India is in the same boat as China visa wise.

It's the same like what they do in shops. They double the price and then discount 50% to create the illusion it's a special offer.

The visa exempt crackdown's hidden message is also: pay for tourist visa if you want to stay/come to Thailand many times.

It's pretty simple in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, lkv said:

They are once again blaming "the abuse" instead of understanding that this "abuse" was perfectly fine with Immigration, up until 2014 when a major event took place, and all visas became more difficult to get, including marriage, retirement etc.

What stopped them from doing something about it for years and years? The principle that every dollar is a dollar.

But if they want to blame it on the "abuse" and buy into the official government rhetoric, up to them.

The current administration is characterized by a high degree of greed. The bribes necessary for bars to continue operating have trebled in the last 3 years. 

Reinvention of the Thai Elite at higher prices.

VOA at 2,000 baht for the Chinese yes. One of their major tourism market if we look at the numbers. Then discounted to 1,000 special price.

Now they are pitching to India. India is in the same boat as China visa wise.

It's the same like what they do in shops. They double the price and then discount 50% to create the illusion it's a special offer.

The visa exempt crackdown's hidden message is also: pay for tourist visa if you want to stay/come to Thailand many times.

It's pretty simple in my opinion.

More nonsense there has been little or no change in retirement or marriage extensions application requirements for at

least the last 10 years and as yet nothing but discussion on some possible alternatives no more, no mention whatsoever

of the current situation regarding extensions changing or in any way being affected by such talk.

You can spin it any way you want the fact is the government is intent on stopping the abuse of tourist visas by people

who are using them for long term stays. Anyone in the firing line is liable to get shot simple as that.

What on earth has bar bribes got to do with immigration?????

28 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They want more Elite Visas sold. 

Wait and see they will force the Non-Immigrant visa holders onto Elite Visas after they don't get the required numbers.

I remember the days you never had to leave the country for a visa. Everything was so much less hassle back then. You could get a legit Non-B or Non-O in a couple of weeks for the price of a good meal these days. 

Too much money at stake now and all the 'Honorary Consulates' that were friendly (often personally, I have known a few consular officials over the years) to long termers have all been replaced with faceless Thai bureaucrats that are intent on inconveniencing foreigners. 

Everything they do is about money, this is no exception, which makes the rantings of certain embittered posters even more bizarre and clueless. 

The only  ranting embittered posters I see on here are the ones that are soon to lose access to Thailand because of

misuse of tourist visas, careful you might get caught in the same net 

You seem to think you are alone in thinking it is all about money, everybody knows it has always been about money,

it's not news, you haven't discovered eternal life mate.

The ramblings of hopeful losers.

4 hours ago, phuketjock said:

there has been little or no change in retirement or marriage extensions application requirements for at

least the last 10 years and as yet nothing but discussion on some possible alternatives no more, no mention whatsoever

of the current situation regarding extensions changing or in any way being affected by such talk.

You can spin it any way you want the fact is the government is intent on stopping the abuse of tourist visas by people

who are using them for long term stays. Anyone in the firing line is liable to get shot simple as that.

There's also no talk about 'using tourist visas for long term stays'. That part is your own spin.

The only talk is about those that work illegally, have no money or commit crimes. Not 'being a tourist too long.' That isn't a 'fact' at all.

Ironic to say others spin things then spin it yourself. There is and never has been any limit on tourist visas for long term stay. 

1 hour ago, phuketjock said:

soon to lose access to Thailand because of misuse of tourist visas, careful you might get caught in the same net 

Scaremongering.

5 hours ago, phuketjock said:

More nonsense there has been little or no change in retirement or marriage extensions application requirements for at

least the last 10 years

10 years ago they did not want maps drawn of the location, personal information forms asking for social media accounts, pictures with the happy couple around the house, strict seasoning requirements for the 800K in the bank (retirement extension), no 30 day under consideration stamps.

10 years ago as @Father Fintan Stack said, one could get a multi entry non B just with with a letter from Australia, UK (Hull), etc, via post.

The list can go on.

16 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

But perhaps it is also some of the very rotten apples amongst farang tourists/expats, who very much contributed to the tightening of the screws?

What disproves that theory in my opinion is the existence of the Thai Elite visa. Thailand is the only country in the world I believe, where you pay a non refundable fee to buy your extended stay in the country with no questions asked.

Which proves the only thing that has changed is the monetary requirement and the current administration's expectation of what one should spend.

By the way, I believe the Thai logic behind the 20k on the statement for a tourist visa and 20k cash at border, is that one is more likely to spend it if in cash.

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I remember the days you never had to leave the country for a visa. Everything was so much less hassle back then. You could get a legit Non-B or Non-O in a couple of weeks for the price of a good meal these days. 

Yes those days were great!

We could get the visa at the consulate within 3 hours processing time....now it takes 3 days! so you'll have to drive back to the consulate again.

I am at suvannakhet and they are asking everyone for copies of bank statements when applying for tourist single and multiple entry visas. Two guys were turned away after much deliberation. An australian guy tried in a calm manner to persuade them to let him off this time. Unfortunately it was in vein. So guys get them statements sorted.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, lkv said:

10 years ago they did not want maps drawn of the location, personal information forms asking for social media accounts, pictures with the happy couple around the house, strict seasoning requirements for the 800K in the bank (retirement extension), no 30 day under consideration stamps.

10 years ago as @Father Fintan Stack said, one could get a multi entry non B just with with a letter from Australia, UK (Hull), etc, via post.

The list can go on.

They have always required maps, pics in and around the house for marriage extensions, and always been

strict seasoning rules for the 800k  and there is no 30 day under consideration stamp for retirement

extensions you are talking utter piffle.  

Come back when you have the slightest idea what you are talking about.............:cheesy::cheesy:

I am at suvannakhet and they are asking everyone for copies of bank statements when applying for tourist single and multiple entry visas. Two guys were turned away after much deliberation. An australian guy tried in a calm manner to persuade them to let him off this time. Unfortunately it was in vein. So guys get them statements sorted.

What multiple entry visas? Like non O? Because there aren't multiple entry tourist visas.

Also what bank statement...Thai or foreign?

What multiple entry visas? Like non O? Because there aren't multiple entry tourist visas.

Also what bank statement...Thai or foreign?

No not non o. I understood there were no more multi entries too but they have the paperwork up and asking for copies of statements. I think thai one would ba ok.

23 hours ago, phuketjock said:

I couldn't give a monkeys how you live, entirely up to you.

I am not married to a local ex-hooker either and with your attutude

you might have trouble finding anyone to marry you?

I find it hard to think that Thailand cares one bit whether you spend

your money here or elsewhere.

Good luck Paddy, or is it Mick?? I feel you may need it.

This is not meant as an attack on you but I am responding to the commentaries about hookers. Why do people berate hookers or others? Jesus washed the feet of a prostitute. He has not washed my feet.   Many prostitutes have given a lot of men great pleasure. Some are great people and wives and some are terrible people and wives just like people with tourist or retirement visas. Will probably never understand how humans rationalize they are better than others based on employment or wealth or citizenship or sexual preference or education or home size or car or ...... But if given the opportunity to spend my last five minutes on earth with whoever I choose I would choose a Thai hooker and go to the afterlife with a thankful smile on my face.  The absolute last person on earth I would want to spend my last five minutes with is a serial TV Thai critic who knows he is better and brighter and holy than others. 

Archived