Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

On 17/07/2017 at 7:48 AM, Thechook said:

I remember stories on here about farangs being robbed of 10k and thaivisa members writing things like bloody idiots, deserved to be robbed if they have that much on them.  Now its a requirement to enter with 20k.  If you leave it in your room and it disappears, you idiot.  If you walk around with and get rolled you idiot.

When I first came to Thailand 10 years ago I opened a Thai bank account. When I arrive I can put my money in and draw it as and when I need to. I have rented a house annually since 2011 because this is cheaper than staying at a hotel for 3 months. I normally leave with about 2000 Baht to add to my other cash for the next visit.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If you think you are safe on Non-O extensions for retirement or marriage you are certainly deluded. There's no guarantees in Thailand and any fool can tell you that. Visa rules can change and be enforced on a whim. 

The entitlement of the old bitters is evident on many TV threads and in particular this one and indeed in your very post. 

It will just make it all the more amusing as demands for financial requirements increase, visas become more and more difficult to get or Thailand lurches into another crisis. The queues at the border will snake well into the jungle as the pension payments are transfered into US$, Dong or Riel and Khun Nok's daughter moves in back with her grandmother and Nok goes back on the pole in Superstars a-go-go.

BTW I have been here over 30 years. Phuket was good for a laugh back in the 90's. The Blarney Stone on Bangla Road opposite Soi Eric when John was running it was a good night out and one of the best in country as I recall. Now the locals are the most arrogant and unlikeable in Thailand and it seems the expats are quickly following suit (no disrespect to your good self, although I do tend to judge an expat on where he pitches his tent in Thailand, it's my barometer of how much of a fud someone is likely to be).

Locals attitudes have changed.

Prices have gone up and wages have stayed the same so more are chasing fewer baht but are not prepared to adapt business methods or services and just feel it's more acceptable to be more aggressive to get the rewards.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Where did you get this from?

There are no 3 month tourist visas !  

Seems you are confused but I am sure you will post an official  link confirming the details of what you are stating 

A 90 day Visa is 3 months the detail on the application you fill in for the Embassey. They do require your 2 previous months bank statements or you can't have the visa.

17 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

A 90 day Visa is 3 months the detail on the application you fill in for the Embassey. They do require your 2 previous months bank statements or you can't have the visa.

Please provide an official link to this 90 day tourist visa which you claim exists,

As far as I am aware tourist visas only allow a 60 day entry but are valid for use for 3 months.

Perhaps you are confusing a 60 day Tourist Visa with something else? 

Edit --- Even better, perhaps you can scan and post a picture of the visa you are talking about. 

Edited by perthperson

3 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Please provide an official link to this 90 day tourist visa which you claim exists,

As far as I am aware tourist visas only allow a 60 day entry but are valid for use for 3 months.

I don't collect links. Look up the details on the application form from an official Thai Ebbassey website. Do your own research.

13 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Edit --- Even better, perhaps you can scan and post a picture of the visa you are talking about. 

The visa has an expiry date 90 days after issue date but you are stamped in for 60 days. Those conditions I am not going to comment on.

You can then extend it for 30 days.

For years I've been on 1 year multi entry O visas but only get stamped in for 90 days at a time so it's sort of similar.

Look at it this way, someone wants to be on holiday here for two months holiday so in the process of booking a flight, hotel etc they apply for a visa (90 days) timing might mean the visa is is issued on the first of the month but the flight is on the 20th so when they arrive the 60 days are covered without a problem.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Oh God no, I could only ever stand the place for short doses. It lost its appeal for me over time as it became more and more of a tourist trap and the locals became intolerable. They are arrogant and ignorant in equal measure. It became so as more and more money flowed into the island, from my last visit in 2010 I see now that greed has overwhelmed any semblance of friendliness that did exist, from the moment you try to get a taxi at the airport to the moment you step back on the plane. 

Incidentally, doses were common in those days, especially after the US Navy had been in port. 

Yeah the reason i love CM is that the locals are ok with farangs. 

But, im now in phuket for holiday and the locals seems pretty friendly.. Maybe all the chinese tourists made them realize that farangs are not sa bad after all lol.

Samui on the other hand...the locals can just barely hide their hatred for me.. Can see it in their eyes and facial expressions... Lol.. Maybe im paranoid

19 minutes ago, hobz said:

Yeah the reason i love CM is that the locals are ok with farangs. 

But, im now in phuket for holiday and the locals seems pretty friendly.. Maybe all the chinese tourists made them realize that farangs are not sa bad after all lol.

Samui on the other hand...the locals can just barely hide their hatred for me.. Can see it in their eyes and facial expressions... Lol.. Maybe im paranoid

I got that impression from Samui too....but that was 17 years ago...never been back. I can't imagine what it's like now. I love islands...but not the Thai ones:)

• Like 1

"I don't think it is unfair to ask for the rules to be clarified, advertsed and consistantly enforced so everyone can know where he or she stands - why should it be the traveller's problem if the Embassies and Immigration aren't talking to one another?"

I agree with this statement and suggest perhaps the powers might consider getting a native English speaker to consult on some of what they publish or alternatively clarify for the IO officers that one need only show availability of funds, not necessarily cash.
I have yet to see an official statement that requires cash in pocket, only reference to "funds".

37 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

"I don't think it is unfair to ask for the rules to be clarified, advertsed and consistantly enforced so everyone can know where he or she stands - why should it be the traveller's problem if the Embassies and Immigration aren't talking to one another?"

I agree with this statement and suggest perhaps the powers might consider getting a native English speaker to consult on some of what they publish or alternatively clarify for the IO officers that one need only show availability of funds, not necessarily cash.
I have yet to see an official statement that requires cash in pocket, only reference to "funds".

You're asking for clarity and consistency from thai government... Good luck with that hehe 

ok so if I had 20,000 cash it doesn't matter what I do? I could be selling drugs to get that money but I guess Immigration doesn't give a **** about how one gets the cash, just as long as we have cash to spend in Thailand.... Money talks in this land. 

Besides, if the taxi drivers know about this, there WILL be a significant rise in crimes committed by taxi drivers  shuttling tourists from the airport to the hotels... since you know... every tourist now has 20,000 Baht CASH.... That's a guaranteed 20,000 baht for one effort. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 5:58 PM, pattayadgw said:

Just more bullshit from those who say they want more tourists and yet keep making things more difficult and harder for tourists to visit.... i just don't get it!!

In reality, apparently, it doesn't matter how ham-handed or even abusive Thailand is to visitors, they just keep on a com'in! The tourist industry may have it's highs and lows, even peaks and valleys, but in the long haul always seems to prosper.  Even the horrible tsunami in 2004 did not keep them away for long.  Go figure!

I have an app on my phone that shows not only my bank balances but can show my complete financial history-deposits,withdrawals,credit card. I used to work for a major cash handling company and there was a consensus among the employees that we should all look for another job because cash is finished. Why bother having cash when you can tap your card on a machine to pay. In Australia it is only businesses who are cheating on tax who want cash only. They are even talking about withdrawing large notes because they are mainly used by criminals or people avoiding tax. I know Thailand is further away from this but it is coming. My thai wife even gets an sms to alert her of every transaction on her thai account which virtually does the same thing as an app. It does show a kind of short sightedness on behalf of immigration demanding cash but as many commentators have said it is the kind of thing to be expected. Policy on the run is very popular.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

51 minutes ago, Chrisdoc123 said:

I have an app on my phone that shows not only my bank balances but can show my complete financial history-deposits,withdrawals,credit card. I used to work for a major cash handling company and there was a consensus among the employees that we should all look for another job because cash is finished. Why bother having cash when you can tap your card on a machine to pay. In Australia it is only businesses who are cheating on tax who want cash only. They are even talking about withdrawing large notes because they are mainly used by criminals or people avoiding tax. I know Thailand is further away from this but it is coming. My thai wife even gets an sms to alert her of every transaction on her thai account which virtually does the same thing as an app. It does show a kind of short sightedness on behalf of immigration demanding cash but as many commentators have said it is the kind of thing to be expected. Policy on the run is very popular.

As a computer programmer I gotta say that it would be possible to make a fake app that would show i had tons of funds etc. Obviously it would be easier to just save 20000 than to create a fake app hehe.

Also the app needs to have internet access... Most tourists dont have access to internet on their phones unless there's free wifi.

• Like 1

As a computer programmer I gotta say that it would be possible to make a fake app that would show i had tons of funds etc. Obviously it would be easier to just save 20000 than to create a fake app hehe.

Also the app needs to have internet access... Most tourists dont have access to internet on their phones unless there's free wifi.

I understood the targets of immigration are not tourists but long term on visa runs. I have Internet on my wife's account but it won't help. I can't use the app as proof at immigration if they will only accept cash.

• Like 1

ok so if I had 20,000 cash it doesn't matter what I do? I could be selling drugs to get that money but I guess Immigration doesn't give a **** about how one gets the cash, just as long as we have cash to spend in Thailand.... Money talks in this land. 

Besides, if the taxi drivers know about this, there WILL be a significant rise in crimes committed by taxi drivers  shuttling tourists from the airport to the hotels... since you know... every tourist now has 20,000 Baht CASH.... That's a guaranteed 20,000 baht for one effort. 

Of course youre not ok even with 20k , the immigration officer can deny entry based on suspicion, 20k is just an excuse. If they think you are living here permanently with tourist visa stamps in your passport going back years you can get in trouble , 20k or not.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, daphnia88 said:

That is not strictly correct. Most tourists visiting Thailand either get a SETV in their own country before they fly or get a visa on arrival at the airport.

As such they are not expected to carry the 20,000 baht on arrival.

As I understand it this is to catch the "permanent tourists" who have many 30 day visas in their passports and who live in Thailand while pretending to be tourists. They seem to be unable to get a proper visa and so have been existing on border runs for a long time. These are the ones that Immigartion is looking at, not genuine tourists who may come over once or twice a year.

It is not as if the information is new as the law has been around for years but no enforced until now. Just because it wasn't enforced and didn't matter even a couple of years ago. It is still a law but now it IS being enforced when the IO suspects a problem. Before, perhaps some money would have fixed the problem but that seems to be harder to do as well.

• Like 1

What about those who live 6 months a year on a 6 months valid METV - and need to leave the country every 60 days?

Are they also being chased despite if they have a confirmed return ticket and a house blue book and do the visa run every 60 days????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

That is not strictly correct. Most tourists visiting Thailand either get a SETV in their own country before they fly or get a visa on arrival at the airport.

As such they are not expected to carry the 20,000 baht on arrival.

As I understand it this is to catch the "permanent tourists" who have many 30 day visas in their passports and who live in Thailand while pretending to be tourists. They seem to be unable to get a proper visa and so have been existing on border runs for a long time. These are the ones that Immigartion is looking at, not genuine tourists who may come over once or twice a year.

It is not as if the information is new as the law has been around for years but no enforced until now. Just because it wasn't enforced and didn't matter even a couple of years ago. It is still a law but now it IS being enforced when the IO suspects a problem. Before, perhaps some money would have fixed the problem but that seems to be harder to do as well.

Then easy. "You been to Thailand before?" "Yes, many times. I love Thailand." *out comes the gun Or the knife* "give me your wallet"

In reality, apparently, it doesn't matter how ham-handed or even abusive Thailand is to visitors, they just keep on a com'in! The tourist industry may have it's highs and lows, even peaks and valleys, but in the long haul always seems to prosper.  Even the horrible tsunami in 2004 did not keep them away for long.  Go figure!

Yes, the 2004 tsunami, frequent military coups, the 2010 Red Shirt riots/massacre, the airport blockade, Suthep's protests, regular gory murders....but they keep coming!

What a load of rubbish.

The great majority of farangs in Thailand follow the laws and have NO problems year upon year.

The minorty of people who don't follow the law take their chances on being caught.

It is nothing to do with xenophobia and all to do with following the rules.

If you stick to the rules there is no problem.

If you don't, and you get caught then the problem is yours and nobody elses.

No. If they don't like something about you they'll find excuses - it's not about legality, look at what they are doing with Nate. Any excuse will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

What about those who live 6 months a year on a 6 months valid METV - and need to leave the country every 60 days?

Are they also being chased despite if they have a confirmed return ticket and a house blue book and do the visa run every 60 days????

I have no idea since I am not Thai nor do I work for the Thai government.

I would suggest that you contact the Immigration Dept and ask them.

17 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

No. If they don't like something about you they'll find excuses - it's not about legality, look at what they are doing with Nate. Any excuse will do.

But what would it be they dont like?

I think with this job they can sniff an English teacher 100 yards away and if no work permit..then..

Anyway that isnt even consistent.

you cannot tell me that they do not know these Phillipino teachers doing a run every 30 days are working illegally?

44 minutes ago, daphnia88 said:

Then easy. "You been to Thailand before?" "Yes, many times. I love Thailand." *out comes the gun Or the knife* "give me your wallet"

I have a friend who sells tinfoil hats if you need one.

Do you personally know of something like this happening to anyone you know?

4 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

I think with this job they can sniff an English teacher 100 yards away and if no work permit..then..

you cannot tell me that they do not know these Phillipino teachers doing a run every 30 days are working illegally?

The action taken is not relevant to the charge. They are asking people to show 20,000 baht. IF everyone carries the cash then they'll get through, or the authorities will find another excuse.

They're just excuses. They don't have proper rules and regulations with proper means to enforce them. They don't care... they just take a guess 'this one looks like a frequent border hopper so let's ask them to show the cash... usually works'.

If it doesn't work, what do they do next?

24 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

If the IO feels that there is something about you then he has the right to ask as many questions as he feels is necessary.

I am sorry to disappoint you but it IS perfectly legal and is practised in most countires.

As for your point about Nate

1  It is completely off the topic as you know as you have been labouring the point many times.

2   As Nate he admitted that he is guilty and he has no excuse and neither do you.

3   IMHO the government should have tossed the little prat out on his ear, but of that is my opinion. Your opinion is most probably different and so it should be, but it is still only your opinion as is mine.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I have no idea since I am not Thai nor do I work for the Thai government.

Quite logically, if you were a Thai, I guess that the visa issues would not be applied to you....that seems more then obvious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamukloy said:

Phillipines is a member of ASEAN and for them the rules are different, and no I don't know what they are.