Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

As a reverse to this, I was once asked how much money I had on my way out. I assume the guy was hoping to confiscate some unused baht. I said "nothing", he looked at me quizzacally, and I showed him my credit card. One of those moments that stay with you.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Travelers to Thailand are spoiled by ATM's every 50 meters.  Lots of us go places where you have to look for the one international ATM in the town. 

And even in Thailand, what happens if your ID goes missing along with your ATM card?  Or your ATM card gets skimmed and your bank locks down your accounts while they figure it out?  You can get mighty hungry waiting for your embassy to confirm your identity and issue new ID (which the bank will probably need to replace your card).  Not to mention half a holiday shot in the butt by lack of funds.  Unless, of course, you carry some backup cash.

And I'm not even going to go into the disaster scenario where you're accused of a heinous crime and need to keep a low profile and cross a border- even if you didn't do it.  

Bring another ATM card tied to another account ? Been doing this for almost twenty years, no worries. Never needed backup cash, and in terms of security, cash is not a good thing.

1 minute ago, sjaak327 said:

Bring another ATM card tied to another account ? Been doing this for almost twenty years, no worries.

That's what people always say before they get bit in the ass.  Been doing it for a hundred years, never had a problem. 

Spare emergency cash is like accident insurance.  You'll probably never need it.  But if you do, it will save the day.

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's what people always say before they get bit in the ass.  Been doing it for a hundred years, never had a problem. 

Spare emergency cash is like accident insurance.  You'll probably never need it.  But if you do, it will save the day.

I say that because it happened to me. Some 9 years ago I got off the plane, only some 20 euro and 400 baht on me. And... Two atm cards and one credit card. Got a taxi to Pridi 45, got into my apartment, needed to fill the fridge, went to the atm, got the money, but forgot to take the atm. When I got back from the family mart, realized I forgot to get the atm card back. 

It is not possible to get the lost atm card replaced, since my bank will only sent it to my registered address IN the Netherlands, and I have to sign when receiving it. 

No problem, as I still had the secind atm tied to another account. Simply transferred the money to that other account and started using the other atm. I could also have used the credit card. So at no time did I have a problem getting money. Hardly rocket sciene.

And since I travel with my Lao partner, we have yet another atm + credit card at our disposal. Now in the highly unlikely event that we loose three atm cards and two credit cards, I can simply use western union to get money.

• 2 weeks later...

Was this story ever actually confirmed? Are the Thai authorities following through with it or was it just a one off? I am in Vietnam now with 10,000 baht and a new tourist visa and I am wondering whether to pay the high fees for a bank withdrawal and then currency conversion.

Anyone know a good place to get Vietnamese dong converted into baht in Saigon?

37 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Was this story ever actually confirmed? Are the Thai authorities following through with it or was it just a one off? I am in Vietnam now with 10,000 baht and a new tourist visa and I am wondering whether to pay the high fees for a bank withdrawal and then currency conversion.

Anyone know a good place to get Vietnamese dong converted into baht in Saigon?

I should have mentioned I am a long-stayer and this will be my fourth tourist visa with a couple of visa exempt entries after a long period of working on a non-B. However, I recently spent a few months in my home country.

I had no money when I arrived from Vietnam a few days ago .

But I'm on a non-imm 1 year visa so nothing to worry about.   

But I did not see anyone that was stopped , it was a big queue as always with tourists . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 11:40 PM, baboon said:

Went through Ranong yesterday on a Non O border bounce. The officials were efficient and pleasant to all. No funds were demanded for anyone in the queue.

This is the issue with all Thai 'laws'  No consistency.  Every entry point has it's own way of doing things, same with cops in each province.  All down to the order of the day and how full the coffers are.

FYI, this has been mentioned several times in this and other threads but the London Embassy  has recently updated their website, and the wording on there for TV Exemptions is:

• Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.

Notice the word "equivalent" - I and others understang this to mean hard currencies such as UKP, USD, Euro etc.

However for SETV, there's no stated cash requirement and of course METV is different again.

Tourist Visa - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Slightly :offtopic:here, but of interest to many, it also states "Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing."  I'm not sure if that max 3 times per 6 months by flight is a change or not?

16 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

With my 3 credit cards I could drow 200 000 ฿ the same day, I have rarely more than 10 000฿ in cash, 

why should I? There are ATM absolutely everywhere, it is hardly disputable by immigration.

But IF  the IO was to ask you to show 20K, or equivalent you couldn't, because, as has been discussed at length, there are no ATMs until you've cleared passport control.

I do realise it's unlikely but as @impulse  said above "Who hops on an international flight with less than 20,000 baht in hard currency hidden away in case their ATM card gets eaten, their wallet gets stolen, or any one of a hundred other scenarios where USD, GBP, or Euro's are the only solution?"

Oh, sorry...you do! :smile:

11 hours ago, VBF said:

But IF  the IO was to ask you to show 20K, or equivalent you couldn't, because, as has been discussed at length, there are no ATMs until you've cleared passport control.

I do realise it's unlikely but as @impulse  said above "Who hops on an international flight with less than 20,000 baht in hard currency hidden away in case their ATM card gets eaten, their wallet gets stolen, or any one of a hundred other scenarios where USD, GBP, or Euro's are the only solution?"

Oh, sorry...you do! 

By the way, since I travel in business class I doubt they would ask those passengers to show the 20,000 :smile: ...

6 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

By the way, since I travel in business class I doubt they would ask those passengers to show the 20,000 :smile: ...

Not wishing to be insulting, but unless the IO asked to see your boarding card (for which I've never been asked), how would (s)he know you've just arrived on Business Class?

28 minutes ago, VBF said:

Not wishing to be insulting, but unless the IO asked to see your boarding card (for which I've never been asked), how would (s)he know you've just arrived on Business Class?

Because you go through a different Imm' desk, not the ones where you queue normally.

It has a sign that has 'Business Class' on it, and they ask to see your boarding pass stub to check you are entitled to use it.

You still have to wait for baggage but it has priority tags on it and 99% of the time it comes off the plane first.

?

Just now, overherebc said:

Because you go through a different Imm' desk, not the ones where you queue normally.

It has a sign that has 'Business Class' on it, and they ask to see your boarding pass stub to check you are entitled to use it.

?

Ah I see...:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Really ! Last time I came not by Bangkok but  Kuala Lumpur and so directly to Koh Samui from abroad.

We were only 3 people in business class an American couple and me. We get off the plane first, only the tree of us in the Samui airport shuttle, then at immigration the American couple with an IO me with another, still no one else from the plane at the time. I guess they did not think they were only three people on this plane :wink:

By the way, the IO was incredibly polite smiling and even joking, for we talked only in Thai. I'm learning the language around an hour a day sometimes more for 6 years now so I'm a little better than basic for sure.

PS: I felt not insulted at all :smile:

50 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Really ! Last time I came not by Bangkok but  Kuala Lumpur and so directly to Koh Samui from abroad.

We were only 3 people in business class an American couple and me. We get off the plane first, only the tree of us in the Samui airport shuttle, then at immigration the American couple with an IO me with another, still no one else from the plane at the time. I guess they did not think they were only three people on this plane :wink:

By the way, the IO was incredibly polite smiling and even joking, for we talked only in Thai. I'm learning the language around an hour a day sometimes more for 6 years now so I'm a little better than basic for sure.

PS: I felt not insulted at all :smile:

I also don't intend to be insulting but what sort of peasant are you? I only ever travel first class.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

I also don't intend to be insulting but what sort of peasant are you? I only ever travel first class.

All i can say is.......

Sorry bit :offtopic: there

15 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I know I know, but I prefer not to know if the tax collector knew that I travel in business class,  so first class? No, I choose voluntarily this little lack of comfort in business!

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, ChrisY1 said:

This story was first posted in July last year....don't believe that many tourists have been asked for this nonsense.

This law was put on back in 05 (?) when it was very easy to just take a trip to your local boder and do the 30 day. It was aimed at long timers, expats whatever,  to "encourage them" to get a retirement visa, marriage visa, some type of long term visa. They used it very little back then ... and whenever they feel the need they dust it off and parade it around.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, Tchooptip said:

Class of travel has nothing to do with I/O mood.

But you are right, going through that queue doesn't harm your chances. Unfortunately it is sometimes so poorly manned I once skipped across through normal channel and tossed the pass.

On 12/01/2018 at 3:47 PM, overherebc said:

You still have to wait for baggage but it has priority tags on it and 99% of the time it comes off the plane first.

?

Not necessarily. The priority inward immigration is only available for business class passengers on certain airlines that have an agreement with Suwannaphum Airport. Outbound business class passengers all pass through the priority lane irrespective of airline. An example of an airline that does not have an agreement is Sri Lankan Airlines. Business class passengers must pass through the normal immigration channels.

6 hours ago, TomJoad said:

I wonder how the airlines feel about it. Aren't they the ones who have to foot the bill for a return ticket whenever one of their passengers are denied entry?

Less than 2000 people denied entry last year, out of 30 odd million.

Most of them turned away at land borders.

Doubt the airlines are too concerned.

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Not necessarily. The priority inward immigration is only available for business class passengers on certain airlines that have an agreement with Suwannaphum Airport. Outbound business class passengers all pass through the priority lane irrespective of airline. An example of an airline that does not have an agreement is Sri Lankan Airlines. Business class passengers must pass through the normal immigration channels.

You can buy a fast track / priority lane pass from Bangkok Flight Services regardless of how you travel or which airline you use.

1950 Baht gets you an electric cart from the gate, express immigration and a luggage handling porter to take you and your cases to your transport.

Check it out : https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/home/bfs-services/premium-airport-services/

My mother used this a few days ago, it works just fine every year when she comes out here for the winter.

Archived